Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t think any investment would have worked with Jose. He’d have been a bit better, maybe enough to sneak top 4 but not enough to contend for anything real.

Look at United and how poor he was there. If you fail with United’s resources, you will fail at spurs.

Jose is doing well with Roma only in cups. He’s been pretty mediocre in the league.

I agree. He has busted flush vibes but could get PSG the champions league they want. He has that kind of arrogance and character.

Past his sell by date in the prem.

Right, he's just a mouthpiece for the club. The thing is that it's such a weird message to be coming from the club.

Right or wrong, pulling the plug on Poch and having Jose in the door 11 hours later was a statement of intent, which the club-authorized Amazon documentary drove home aggressively. We need to win trophies, it's time to win trophies, the quest is to win trophies, the opportunity is right now.

Four loud, crazy, unhappy years later that mission stands as a comprehensive, unmitigated failure.

And to the question of "what is the plan now?" the answer always comes back "actually, you can't blame the chairman for the previous plan failing, it would be unreasonable to do so"

That's not an answer!
In reality, we probably should have sacked Poch after 16/17 and appointed someone like Mourinho. It's what other clubs bent on silverware would have done.

We stuck it put thinking Poch could keep the improvement going, but in hindsight that was the plateau. Squad has only deteriorated since then, by the time we got Mourinho in, and then Conte, the parts that were left had deteriorated too much.

Said before, Levy's stubbornness in not accepting that this squad had peaked has been damning.

yes the last 4yrs have been wasted
I for one was happy Poch went, that last full season was not right, the team were poor in many games
getting in Jose to try to win something was OK by me, but why sack him the week of the final ?
Levys ego has cost this club, with Jose we may have won the cup final
this great business man wh takes to tuck up the agreed transfer deals then loses the player, keeps hold of duffers because he cant get what he thinks they are worth

We failed to win the league in the most attainable season, when all the clubs with greater financial means than us struggled for one reason or another. We talked ourselves into the idea that if we just tweaked things and kept the band together we'd come good. It was false hope.

If one thought that what the squad needed to get over the hump was an experienced manager with a history of winning trophies, 17/18 was the year to hire than manager - the squad was at its peak.

As I said, by waiting until the wheels came off we just guaranteed that no matter who the manager was the car was already broken. You can argue that what we needed was more investment, I'm not going to argue that point - my statement is limited to the context in which it was decided we needed a "winner" like Mourinho to get the squad over the hump.

ENIC = English National Investment Company

About as well run as the English parliament right now.

The premier league clearly doesn't give a fuck about the club being English owned.

Why would fans care if the club is owned by an English company if that just = a buy cheap, buy twice attitude to investing in the squad and chaotic management of the club.

Basically UK owners just mean boredom and soul-destroying, chaotic mismanagement. Why is that better because it's British?
English...lol that funking ship sailed and sank a long time ago we are the only country thats sold its water. We dump shit in our rivers have sold control of our nuclear reactors mean while the patriots are pointing like Hoijberge at Syrians in dinghies. Only thing run worse than Spurs under ENIC is the country

Last edited:
What's yours then?

Go I dare you to put a counter argument up because all you've been doing is dancing around my words as opposed to debating the actual point.

I'll wait...
What point , you were using a your made up figures from your extensive research to mock someone posting an interview with an ex-manager. And I was pointing out you were wrong because you made up a statement to take the piss.

We failed to win the league in the most attainable season, when all the clubs with greater financial means than us struggled for one reason or another. We talked ourselves into the idea that if we just tweaked things and kept the band together we'd come good. It was false hope.

If one thought that what the squad needed to get over the hump was an experienced manager with a history of winning trophies, 17/18 was the year to hire than manager - the squad was at its peak.

As I said, by waiting until the wheels came off we just guaranteed that no matter who the manager was the car was already broken. You can argue that what we needed was more investment, I'm not going to argue that point - my statement is limited to the context in which it was decided we needed a "winner" like Mourinho to get the squad over the hump.

lol You're crazy, that's like saying that Liverpool should have sacked Klopp in 2017 when they didn't win the CL. What we should have done is given Poch the tools to succeed like Liverpool did because there is a strong possibility that things may have turned out just like them.

We failed to win the league in the most attainable season, when all the clubs with greater financial means than us struggled for one reason or another.
You've got your years screwed up. Leicester was 15/16, Poch's second year, where we collapsed at the death and came 3rd, only 70 points in the end, but our first CL qualification since Redknapp.

Then 16/17 was the last year at WHL, undefeated at home, 86 points and came 2nd to Conte's Chelsea.

Poch was one of the hottest commodities in world football at that moment, rightly so.

That was also the moment at which the stadium project kicked into its maximum gear. It was an inconvenient moment for major squad investment/overhaul.

But, that was the moment.

Then and now, the manager wasn't the issue.

The tweet quoted him word for word. Until the very end, where it said “President Levy didn’t give too much”.

What he actually said was “Didn’t let me play the final and win the trophy.”

Ask yourself why every word was verbatim until this final sentence.

Two possibilities in my eyes. One is that the writer, after going to all the work of doing the rest of the post word for word decided that he just couldn’t be arsed to do the last sentence. Possible I suppose.

Possibility two, what was actually said shows Jose’s main gripe against Levy. A huge and understandable one that I’ve said many times on here. Lunacy to sack him the week before a final. No matter the reason. Massive fuck up. But by saying “didn’t give too much”, it makes it more general. Like there’s many things that were wrong and not this one single thing.

It’s agenda driven and hungrily gobbled up by the masses as stone tablets from upon the mount.

Nothing wrong with anything Jose actually said and it already paints Levy in a shit light. So why lie? Just to make it even worse. And it does. But it’s a lie nonetheless.

This is the kind of shit that happens on here all the time.
Fair enough you make a point with the misquote, I don’t know what was the thinking there.

But if you think that Mourinho’s only issue with Levy was that he didn’t let him play the league cup final, you’re very naive.

Fair enough you make a point with the misquote, I don’t know what was the thinking there.

But if you think that Mourinho’s only issue with Levy was that he didn’t let him play the league cup final, you’re very naive.
I don’t believe I am. Making assumptions about a relationship you know absolutely nothing about, is naive. Jose may have had loads of issues with Levy. I’ve no clue. This may be the only one. I’ve no clue about that either. I assume he wanted more money spent. I assume he was a bit pissed at being sacked, cup final or not. But I don’t know.

You KNOW why the misquote happened. I’m sure you do.

lol You're crazy, that's like saying that Liverpool should have sacked Klopp in 2017 when they didn't win the CL. What we should have done is given Poch the tools to succeed like Liverpool did because there is a strong possibility that things may have turned out just like them.
Klopp lost the:

2016 carabao
2016 Europa
2018 CL

before he got HEAVY backing and then won every trophy available.

That’s the difference between Klopp and Poch.

The reason why Leicester went down is because the owners poured so much money into the club (even broke FFP when they came up from the Championship and were fined and warned) they are now unwilling to bankroll the club, their project is done and they've been so careless to the point that they've somehow going to let their assets leave on a free on on the cheap, that's just total mismanagement and evidence of what a a real shitshow is but I guess cause they won the league no-one cares...

Say what you want about ENIC but we've already been in such a position in dire straits when we had to sack Ramos and bought Redknapp in, ENIC invested their own money in £86m and bought the likes of Palacios, Defoe etc and bought in Redknapp and we were saved, if we are somehow floundering near the bottom of the league believe you me Joe Lewis will somehow find money down the back of his sofa and spend...there's nothing worse that a dwindling asset to these owners and their business plan will fall flat on it's face if this club is relegated to the Championship.

So to compare us to Leicester is just lazy analysis, negligent on the footballing side they maybe but ENIC aren't stupid, there's no way they will let this club get relegated and I don't know why people are even entertaining that idea, it's complete and utter nonsense.
Wasn't that partially down to losing Berbatov to United and losing Keane to Liverpool. Then having Fraizer Campbell as a replacement and Darren "Sandra could have scored that" Bent. The Season before United snapped up Carrick. It was our inability to challenge properly and keep out star players, it still happens Modric/Bale and probably this summer Kane. I'm glad you agree Enic under Levy's tenure have made so many glaring footballing errors. They only had to shell out that dosh due to failure to replace two top players they let go. Berbatov on his own was a match winner.

You'll all see when we bring postaockoo anti-storms to the premier League title with our under 23s. People will flock from all over the world and pay 1,000 ticket and all our debts will disappear.

Wasn't that partially down to losing Berbatov to United and losing Keane to Liverpool. Then having Fraizer Campbell as a replacement and Darren "Sandra could have scored that" Bent. The Season before United snapped up Carrick. It was our inability to challenge properly and keep out star players, it still happens Modric/Bale and probably this summer Kane. I'm glad you agree Enic under Levy's tenure have made so many glaring footballing errors. They only had to shell out that dosh due to failure to replace two top players they let go. Berbatov on his own was a match winner.

They shelled out money from their own pockets because we were flirting with relegation that season.

Back
Top Bottom