Sheff Utd vs Yid Army FA Cup Wed 1 March 2023

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rest multiple players > get knocked out of the only competition we could realistically win > damage confidence in the team, infuriate fans and increase chances our best player will leave. On repeat.

Does Levy give all new managers a 'how to avoid trophies at Spurs handbook' as part of their induction?

Searching for a way to process this club. I looked back at the 2018 Semi Final v United.

This quote is post match on the day from the Guardian ( shudder )

It’s another to add to Spurs’ list of what-ifs. They started beautifully but faded after Sanchez’s equaliser. Harry Kane barely had a kick and Dele Alli was quiet apart from his goal. They are such a likeable side but they are running out of time to win a trophy before the team starts to break up.

Since that day United have moved on 10 out of 11 of their starting team.

Six of the Spurs team who played that day played last night.

Feel sorry for all the fans that had to travel back down south after the game, once again it was brilliant support. I was lucky only had to travel back to Manchester, got home at 11-45. Was feeling like shit at the game, woke up this morning feeling even worse. Whoever picked the team should be shot. Play your strongest team for fuck sake. I don't usually moan or run down the club, but have had enough. The sooner the owners and Levy go , the better. They don't give a shit about the fans, might give my season ticket up. Going back to bed now. So fucking angry.

Last edited:
An argument can be made that our 2nd string isn't good enough.

The fact that we don't rotate at all , unless forced to by injuries doesn't help, meaning players are not match fit and won't play with the same intensity doesn't help.
But our 6/11th second string should be better than their 8/11th second string . We were outfought , outplayed, outthought . I normally try to lighthearted with most of my posts , to the point where I’m sure it irritates some on here. There is very little room for levity today I’m afraid

I want ENIC / Levy gone but we know that is not happening

So let’s focus on what is needed and SHOULD be achievable

Clearly we need a new manager , probably need 5 or 6 new players of real quality . That SHOULD be something the club commits to, i can’t see it mind you , which takes me full circle .

How many time we have heard " we apologise to the fans" and "we will learn from our mistakes"?

Never ending never changing....

But I got used to having no expectations on match days and got used to losing matches

Nothing was new last night

Keeps happening

Repeat of poor performances on the pitch

But our 6/11th second string should be better than their 8/11th second string . We were outfought , outplayed, outthought . I normally try to lighthearted with most of my posts , to the point where I’m sure it irritates some on here. There is very little room for levity today I’m afraid

I want ENIC / Levy gone but we know that is not happening

So let’s focus on what is needed and SHOULD be achievable

Clearly we need a new manager , probably need 5 or 6 new players of real quality . That SHOULD be something the club commits to, i can’t see it mind you , which takes me full circle .
I can't disagree with any of that to be fair.

I'm at the point now where I wouldn't mind finishing 10th if we at least played attacking, entertaining football.

Totally unacceptable to lose to a fucking Championship side.

Our recruitment is bollocks. Our tactics are dogshit. The effort levels from most of our players are unacceptable. We haven't won a trophy since 2008 and based off last night's clusterfuck, that isn't going to change any time soon.

Heads need to roll, starting from the top.
We got knocked out by a side that was a minute away from going out to a NON LEAGUE side ( Wrexham) in the last round . Let that sink in

I think the goals of the season are set out early on and the players know what these are. I also think the players don't have much love for it, and it's reinforced by the attitude in the club that it's a nice to have but not the focus.

So is it Levy's fault they didn't try? No
Is it Levy's fault they maybe don't think it's as important as other competitions? = Yes

The dichotomy here though becomes a question of how much emphasis do yo put on these cups..... The subtext to much of the complaining about priorities - whether conscious or not - seems to be reliant upon the domestic cups being prioritised above sustained league performance.

I suspect that many wouldn't actually like what that looks like in reality.

Furthermore, "I'd accept mid-table one year if it meant getting the trophy monkey off our back" isn't a tangible strategy either.

Considering the small margins and element of luck so -often involved in cup football; in truth, top four and a trophy isn't much less realistic a target than one or the other.

I can't disagree with any of that to be fair.

I'm at the point now where I wouldn't mind finishing 10th if we at least played attacking, entertaining football.
The way we play is so turgid and without flair or imagination. Meanwhile Arteta has Woolwich winning and playing with style and I live in fucking Islington .
Being a Spurs fan must be the longest practical joke in history , or one day it will be revealed we were deliberately trolled as some weird social experiment . They thought Sugar would break us , but he couldn’t . Then 23 years of Levy and still we won’t break , what next ENIC sell to a consortium headed up by Piers Morgan and Wenger .

Because of our wank tactics and poor squad depth we aren't in a position to effectively rotate players.

We got Danjuma for what, exactly? Son - despite being benched - is still getting a fair amount of minutes when it's clear he's gassed.

If the players are getting decent minutes in important games, making wholesale changes wouldn't be as much of an issue.
If I was Danjuma , I would be starting to feel a bit pissed off . Sat on the bench watching that shit

Our league form was absolutely dog shit second half of the season, and a fortunate and luck filled run to a champions league final masked it. We scraped top four because of our early season form that year. It was four years ago, maybe you forgot.
Completely different scenarios though.

In 2019 we had a team that was naturally coming to the end of its lifespan. It could have been easily avoided/fixed if the board had backed the manager sufficiently.

We also had a manager that actually cared in 2019, as well as Kane and Son in their prime who were still very much wedded to Tottenham.

Fast forward to now and we’re in a whole different stratosphere of a mess. A manager who is gone in the summer, players signed for said managers system that may not work for the new manager (Porro, Udogie), players signed on loan/buy bollocks deals that know they won’t be here next season in all likelihood.
An ageing Kane who is still our best player by a mile and will likely want to leave again in the Summer. A seemingly dusted Son. Many of the players that have stank the place out for neigh on 10 years now (Dier, Sanchez, Davies) still at the club stinking it out and being offered new deals supposedly. A crooked DOF that is likely to be banned from all football for 2 years and if he isn’t, what kind of a chump will he select as our next manager? (Nuno, Fonseca, Gattuso)
And we have an ownership that are absolutely not going to change their ways, that are seemingly perplexed as to why fans are so angry with them and indeed the more anger that’s thrown at them the more steadfast in their ways they seem to be becoming if their recent responses to the THST are anything to go by. But the chaos on the field is only a minor inconvenience to the owners, as despite all the above they are still making coin.
Meanwhile all around us you have our rivals linked with Middle Eastern investment, Chelsea being purchased by an owner that has even deeper pockets than Roman, Manure finally getting their managerial appointment right, Newcastle becoming a new threat etc. Tottenham will be left behind.

It’s a completely and utterly different kettle of fish to the situation we found ourselves in in 2019. There really doesn’t seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.

I dont understand why we cant be top four and win a cup. Its not rocket science.
Our second string should be hungry enough to play with drive and intensity to go highlight themselves as a starter and then if closer to quarter and semi final introduce the first team players back in. As does city, chavs, utd etc

Completely different scenarios though.

In 2019 we had a team that was naturally coming to the end of its lifespan. It could have been easily avoided/fixed if the board had backed the manager sufficiently.

We also had a manager that actually cared in 2019, as well as Kane and Son in their prime who were still very much wedded to Tottenham.

Fast forward to now and we’re in a whole different stratosphere of a mess. A manager who is gone in the summer, players signed for said managers system that may not work for the new manager (Porro, Udogie), players signed on loan/buy bollocks deals that know they won’t be here next season in all likelihood.
An ageing Kane who is still our best player by a mile and will likely want to leave again in the Summer. A seemingly dusted Son. Many of the players that have stank the place out for neigh on 10 years now (Dier, Sanchez, Davies) still at the club stinking it out and being offered new deals supposedly. A crooked DOF that is likely to be banned from all football for 2 years and if he isn’t, what kind of a chump will he select as our next manager? (Nuno, Fonseca, Gattuso)
And we have an ownership that are absolutely not going to change their ways, that are seemingly perplexed as to why fans are so angry with them and indeed the more anger that’s thrown at them the more steadfast in their ways they seem to be becoming if their recent responses to the THST are anything to go by. But the chaos on the field is only a minor inconvenience to the owners, as despite all the above they are still making coin.
Meanwhile all around us you have our rivals linked with Middle Eastern investment, Chelsea being purchased by an owner that has even deeper pockets than Roman, Manure finally getting their managerial appointment right, Newcastle becoming a new threat etc. Tottenham will be left behind.

It’s a completely and utterly different kettle of fish to the situation we found ourselves in in 2019. There really doesn’t seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel.
I started agreeing with you - and then it turned into a full blown suicide note.

I'd get counselling if I was you.

Searching for a way to process this club. I looked back at the 2018 Semi Final v United.

This quote is post match on the day from the Guardian ( shudder )

It’s another to add to Spurs’ list of what-ifs. They started beautifully but faded after Sanchez’s equaliser. Harry Kane barely had a kick and Dele Alli was quiet apart from his goal. They are such a likeable side but they are running out of time to win a trophy before the team starts to break up.

Since that day United have moved on 10 out of 11 of their starting team.

Six of the Spurs team who played that day played last night.
:sandroscream:

Not sure if this has been posted yet

Absolutely spot on, arrogant is the word. We should have lined up like it was the cup final and got the job done but instead we had Lucas Moura playing like it was 2018.

The arrogance is only half the story. On paper, of course we win that game. The simple truth of any game of football is mentality, effort and skill. Those players last night decided that only the third of those mattered and the shame of the management team is that they couldn’t see the complete absence of the first two either in the training / build up to the game nor and more to my point, in the first 20 minutes of the fucking game itself.

Back
Top Bottom