Brentford v Spurs Boxing Day 12:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am so glad Levey didn't go for Eddie Howe, i mean who wants to watch exciting, attacking football any more?
Why didn’t we go for him instead of Nuno. Young English manager would have loved the opportunity to manage a big club. Played decent football at b’mouth. However patrici went for his agents managers. Looked overseas as he does for a lot of players. Nuno no way deserved our gig but we still went for him knowing g he brand of football being not much diff to Jose. Which is virtually the sane as conte.

For me this is a manager that is trying to put pressure on the board to back him. Why would you sign a new contract before the end of the window?

I don't get on ENIC's back but this is what fans have wanted for years, a manager to challenge the board on the direction of the club.
Yea but works both ways. He has to show show some improvement in the team in results, playing style and tactics. He has already had a bunch of players purchased. We have a decent squad as everyone keeps saying. However is conte getting the most out of what he has at his disposal currently?

Since Howe took over:

Newcastle spending: 230 million.
Spurs spending: 199 million

And we started with a Europa League level base, whereas they were mired in the relegation zone. Howe has turned a relegation side in to a free flowing, exciting team sat 3rd in the table who control games & play with flair.

They've just spent money better. Guimaraes, Pope. Trippier. Burn & Botman have all slotted straight in to the starting XI and been some of the better players in their position in the league and been significant upgrades .. none of these were out of our reach.

Wood & Isak are their only unimpactful signings so far. And even then Wood has played a role & Isak has been injured after a bright start.
Great post some people just want to make excuses or justify the shit that has been served up bcos it’s conte. If we had any other manager who had over seen a run of games where we have conceded 2 or more goals for nearly 9 games and gone behind in all of them everyone would have been up in arms and calling for managers head. Since it’s conte he gets more time, pressure the board to buy more players and still play shit football. What has he done to reverse this trend. Absolutely f all even know I g we have crap defenders. His tried no change in tactics or formation and doesn’t even make subs to at least give other players a chance. He just repeats the sane thing over and over again. And fir that he is according to some a elite coach. His never won the CL either thought you had to win that be granted that status.
The comparison with Howe is spot on. Of course I want them to hit a wall but it doesn’t look like it’s happening. And we can’t or are unwilling to inject some adventure, urgency and passion into our play. Just sleepwalking for most of games.

I actually don´t think Conte is looking for an attacking midfielder, i hope i´m wrong!
Nah he doesn’t even play the attacking players we have already or give them a chance. How will we ever know if white is gonna be any good if he never gets a chance. Said it before klopp, pep , Howe , arteta even Brighton will give players a chance.

Hold on he doesn’t have too? We have been tegular top 4 team now for almost a decade. He should at least maintain the status who along with playing a better brand of football more deserving of a top team and also in spurs tradition. That is minimum we expect from this elite super coach. He is then meant to add that final bit to get us over the line I to win I g something. What was his exscuse for the pathetic cup loses we have had? We haven’t won the fa cup for years so there is no exscuse for more time. His supposed to have them fired up and got out to win. He doesn’t need time to beat forest away in league cup gane with virtually a full strength team v a team that changed most of their starting EPL 11. Talking bollocks, again! Always some fucking exscuse!
To be honest with you I can't even be bothered to get into a conversation with you about Spurs and Conte because you are easily one of the most negative, boring and repetitive posters on here I really don't wanna waste my time. I've responded to you before but you just have a clear agenda against Conte and don't have anything constructive to say. It's always when Spurs lose you pipe up and it's boring now.

Last edited:
To be honest with you I can't even be bothered to get into a conversation with you about Spurs and Conte because you are easily one of the most negative, boring and repetitive posters on here I really don't wanna waste my time. I've responded to you before but you just have a clear agenda against Conte and don't have anything constructive to say. It's always when Spurs lose you pipe up and it's boring now.

......Is the correct answer. :contethumb:

Whilst I agree, it's a bit early days. Some managers take longer than others to get a team playing the way they want them to. Pep's first season we all had a good laugh at, ditto with Klopp, which just goes to show that elite managers don't necessarily immediately transform a team.

Howe has done a great job so far, the question is whether he is able to maintain it.
AlwYs thought it was easier for a coach to train and set up their team to sit back and counter especially when you have lane and son than actually trying coach team to play a psssing front foot attacking gane.

Palace next week. Coming off Vieira saying one of worst days as Manager. Wonder what we will serve next week against them. Probably make them look like Barcelona first half and we comeback to ponce a point. Let's see.

In fairness to him he has made clear observations which can't be denied.

Conte is a tactically inflexible, slow to react manager based on his performances this season.

Similar adjectives were used to describe the DINOSAUR, Jose.

Kane scored yesterday and he sat down the 3 subs he was about to make to keep it steady. Even though we were still losing. Why? Fucking remove the shackles and go for it!

This business of trusting his system will be his overall downfall.

Palace next week. Coming off Vieira saying one of worst days as Manager. Wonder what we will serve next week against them. Probably make them look like Barcelona first half and we comeback to ponce a point. Let's see.

Well it's a London derby away from home so with our record of 1 win in the last 16 of those, I wouldn't expect much.

When was the last time we actually played well in 90 minutes of an away match? Dortmund away in 18/19 maybe?

Kane scored yesterday and he sat down the 3 subs he was about to make to keep it steady. Even though we were still losing. Why? Fucking remove the shackles and go for it!

But we equalised and should have won by the end? You make it sound like we lost 3-1.

Well it's a London derby away from home so with our record of 1 win in the last 16 of those, I wouldn't expect much.

When was the last time we actually played well in 90 minutes of an away match? Dortmund away in 18/19 maybe?

But we equalised and should have won by the end? You make it sound like we lost 3-1.
6-1 v man utd but they did have 10 men and ole at the wheel.

To be honest, I don’t really know how much Maureen posts but I’ve generally agreed with him. If you take yourselves back to the NLD derby win and subsequently clinching top4 at Norwich, things were rosy in the garden. CL football, a couple of signings away from having a side to challenge the top of the league and perhaps go the distance in cup competitions. And a pre-season with Conte (which we all wanted to see the fruits of).

How have things turned out? Regression in terms of the quality of football. Constant drama over his contract. Out to Forest’s reserves in the LC. A porous comedy of a defence. Didn’t address the obvious issues at RWB and CB.

Yesterdays game was a shitshow at times and one has to wonder what has been going on at the training ground during the WC? The WC internationals stepped up (again) to rescue a point - which arguably could’ve been 3, if it wasn’t for the clownery at the back & surrender of the midfield (again) in the 1st half.

How much is on Levy, Paratici, Conte or the players is moot and will be a perennial argument on TFC.

The bald facts though re: Conte (pun intended) are that we have gone backwards while most of our rivals have strengthened and are playing far more attractive and bold styles

Why is it that when we push up, get aggressive and up the intensity, that we don't concede goals but score 2 or more? We simply need to play like that at the start. we are capable. I don't buy that it's the fault of the defence. Surely you want to defend at the front, press and win it back to keep the pressure off the defence
100%

Why didn’t we go for him instead of Nuno. Young English manager would have loved the opportunity to manage a big club. Played decent football at b’mouth. However patrici went for his agents managers. Looked overseas as he does for a lot of players. Nuno no way deserved our gig but we still went for him knowing g he brand of football being not much diff to Jose. Which is virtually the sane as conte.
There’s an anti-English manager bias amongst all the top teams for a start.

To be honest, I don’t really know how much Maureen posts but I’ve generally agreed with him. If you take yourselves back to the NLD derby win and subsequently clinching top4 at Norwich, things were rosy in the garden. CL football, a couple of signings away from having a side to challenge the top of the league and perhaps go the distance in cup competitions. And a pre-season with Conte (which we all wanted to see the fruits of).

How have things turned out? Regression in terms of the quality of football. Constant drama over his contract. Out to Forest’s reserves in the LC. A porous comedy of a defence. Didn’t address the obvious issues at RWB and CB.

Yesterdays game was a shitshow at times and one has to wonder what has been going on at the training ground during the WC? The WC internationals stepped up (again) to rescue a point - which arguably could’ve been 3, if it wasn’t for the clownery at the back & surrender of the midfield (again) in the 1st half.

How much is on Levy, Paratici, Conte or the players is moot and will be a perennial argument on TFC.

The bald facts though re: Conte (pun intended) are that we have gone backwards while most of our rivals have strengthened and are playing far more attractive and bold styles
It all adds up to, poch coming back, young cheap punts as signings.
Try to polish them up for a year or two, then big clubs will come in for them, and we start again rinse and repeat.
Minimal to no challenge for trophies, but football might be mildly more exciting, the tills will ring over and ENIC are happy#operationfanexperience

Hasn’t Romero missed a shit load of ganes already and what is the win ratio with him in the team? In fact when he plays we are even slower as him dier pass to each other sideways about 20 times in one play. He often is walking or at stand still with the ball allowing the oppo to get into shape. Some thing we never are as our forwards don’t really press and we have just two in cm.
I checked Romeros win % with us recently. Its just above 50 %. 16 out of 30.

Back
Top Bottom