Man Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur | Wednesday 19th Oct | KO 20:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd add Romero to that. So slack with letting rashford go when he had eyes on him . Then crashes into players and gives away free kicks

Get maddison in January. Hojbjerg needs to go back to being a DM and want maddison and bentancur to be our creative outlet.

It would certainly help but no use playing players like Son who are clearly out of form and a 15 minute cameo against a relegation bound Leicester isn’t going to change that!

For some broader perspective, the season we beat Utd 6-1 at OT, they came 2nd and we came 7th.

Don’t let a single game distort your view.

The away games against the top 6 sides have been really poor this season (as they were under Poch), but we are still tending in the right direction.
It's a very similar performance though that's my issue. It's probably the poorest of our poor performances this season but there is a pattern and its that more often or not we get dominated like this and results seem more down to luck than earned and deserved.

When Liverpool beat City at the weekend, I did a little fist bump and proclaimed to my mate in the pub, that's a great result for our title chances, and for the league in general.
Now just 4 days later I'm sweating top 4 and the gooners somehow luck sacking their way to a title ala Leicester.

As the great man said, It's a funny old game.

Need a giant reaction against Newcastle at the weekend, one of those ruthless Fuck you type of performances that sides with character show after they have been wounded.

have we got it in us though? remains to be seen.

You can hold me to it Baz, my prediction won’t change.

This is our side. Efficient, at times ruthless. But lacking in enough quality to be great.

Fair enough

Do you agree with me about the lack of effort and ambition shown?

Let's just face it guys. We can rant and rave at Conte and every other of the countless previous managers who have come and gone over the last 2 decades.
We can hound them out every day and every night...

The fact is, we just don't have the players, or the commitment to invest in the players, to keep us consistently performing at the top level.

Even domestic cup success continues to elude us under these spivs
I really don't appreciate these cold, hard undeniable facts. I feel triggered.

Admin Admin can we permaban this account?

I’m not blaming dier or Davies etc but it’s clear they have a ceiling.
Ronald McDonald could be the manager and only get so far with them. We refuse to spend on quality player and that is the only common denominator between poch, Jose, and conte.
None of our back four gets into anyone else’s team. ( Romero is having a poor season).
Maybe conte is trying to show this to the board by keeping on playing them to force their hand in January because unless we invest the end result will the same.

I said on 61 mins that Antonio needed to earn his corn. Get changes made. DO SOMETHING. Even my daughter who has only been watching footy for 5 or 6 years said it will be 80 mins before he decides it's not working..... First subs in the 82nd minute. I don't want another manager. I just want this one to be a little more dynamic.
Sorry but do you think Moura on for Bissouma or Skipp for Hojberg would have been a winning move? Maybe Sess earlier on could change something but we will never know.

What do you remember him doing at Anfield? He was also dreadful vs Chelsea. One of the worst players on the pitch, in fact .. and then again vs West Ham.

He's a good player & does help us link play but he wouldn't change this performance at all, IMO. Accepting we miss him is fair, acting like he's the golden ticket to changing these performances is blind. Every player on the pitch today apart from Lloris was woeful .. Kulu isn't a magic fix.
Tbh I don't remember but the jist of my point is he is part of a team performance which played much better in those games mentioned than tonight so his overall impact was important.

But players like Kulu give you the belief to play the type of football this is demanded from Conte.

It's no coincidence that he has been one of our best players since he arrived.

If he was available tonight it would have allowed us to play 3-4-3 which is Conte's no1 tactic clearly too.

There's more Evertons in the EPL than Uniteds.....
Nah mate, I'm sure there's only ONE Everton.... I can think of at least FOUR Uniteds....

Man United...
Leeds United...
West Ham...
Newcastle United...

There's loads!!!

Ohhhhhhh, you meant something different!

EVERTON UNITED??!

Last edited:
No I didn't tonight and completely agree on your opinion of the game. It was a shambles tonight but I don't think that was because the players weren't playing for the shirt.

I think we just got completely outplayed which can happen in an away match to another top side.
It’s probably the raw emotion of watching us get completely dominated that I’m being hyperbolic right now.

But I just compare we were against the Chavs earlier this season and whilst getting outplayed for most of the match, it at least felt like the players cared and tried.

Tonight, I didn’t see any of it at all and that’s the most frustrating thing to see as a fan.

It's a very similar performance though that's my issue. It's probably the poorest of our poor performances this season but there is a pattern and its that more often or not we get dominated like this and results seem more down to luck than earned and deserved.
The top 6 games have been shit, there’s no getting away from that. Not helped by all being away mind but that’s only a partial excuse.

Performances other than that have been up and down, but I don’t think it’s true to say we’ve only won by luck. We’re not setup to be a high-press or possession dominant side, but we create good chances and concede a very limited number of high quality chances.

It’s not perfect, but this is still a starting XI with Davies, Doherty PEH etc in there. It isn’t going to be perfect.

It’s hard for me to imagine any other manager in the world extracting much more with these players than Conte is right now.

This was on the players tonight. Might be psychological or due to limited ability. No urgency, basics and movements on or off the ball.

And stop telling yourself that Bryan or Lucas would have performed in any way in this team today.

3 central midfielders.. Fat lot of good that did.
Just more players to give the ball back to United's defenders and lose 2nd balls.

Let's not pretend we should ever expect to turn up at Old Trafford and walk away with 3 points though. Poor performance but not season defining.
Don't think United played as well as the commentary would like to suggest though. Gave them gift after gift. Tough watch.

The worst thing is not the losing but the predictability of the nature of the loss.

Laughing stocks again.
Even more worrying is the fact that even though it was incredibly obvious we were being outplayed in every department for the entirety of the game, Conte didn't think that a tactical change was necessary until the last few moments!

but we will never know.
This.

We were never getting anything out of the game with what we were doing. We were going to lose anyway. Change something. Or should we continue with tactics/personnel which are obviously going to fail us? Even if the option seems worse the outcome of not using that option was pretty obviously a loss anyway.

Fair enough

Do you agree with me about the lack of effort and ambition shown?
Of course. But every team has shit games in a season.

Utd were massively at it tonight, but let’s not forget how abject they are against Brighton, Brentford and City.

They got mauled by all 3.

Personally I was more frustrated with our massive fucking inability to control the ball or play a simple pass. Sooo many basic errors and we really let their press affect us too much.

Back
Top Bottom