Man Utd vs Tottenham Hotspur | Wednesday 19th Oct | KO 20:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

IMO part of the problem is we are not rotating players very much - and that means too many of the team start tired, which is why they are not as dynamic as we'd like.

No reason why we didn't rotate a couple of players against 'weaker teams' like Everton which would mean we had a couple of fresher players against Man U.

And a couple of earlier subs would have helped for the same reason.

As others have said Kulusevski adds creativity to our side - and we really needed a back up in
the summer - I'm not talking about a £50m Maddison either, but there will have been more affordable players available. IMO that's the No. 1 priority in January .

Small bugbear, and nothing that really matters now... but why the hell did we play in our away kit tonight??

Surely UTD RED and SPURS LILYWHITE don't clash.... unless the giant red AIA logo was causing too much colour confusion?!

Gotta say, it immediately put me in mind of THAT Norf Lunnun' Derby when we inexplicably wore that hideous grey/black number! :adewtf: (Thankfully we have never done it again):adeohshit:

If money really IS dictating these decisions, then maybe Nike (or whoever) wanna pick and choose games we might win, to SHOWCASE our shiny new away kit!

As it was, if you dress like scuba divers, you're gonna go under and get sunk!

Last edited:
Even more worrying is the fact that even though it was incredibly obvious we were being outplayed in every department for the entirety of the game, Conte didn't think that a tactical change was necessary until the last few moments!

Maybe but do tactics or players' performances change/win games?

Something consistently and unfailingly does not click when we go to top team's grounds.

Its why we ain't winning Jack.

Bwaaaa! Someone's speaking the truth and I don't like it. Bwaaaa!

sad-sad-life.gif
Enic & levy are taking us to the next level! Just you wait & see……..

The top 6 games have been shit, there’s no getting away from that. Not helped by all being away mind but that’s only a partial excuse.

Performances other than that have been up and down, but I don’t think it’s true to say we’ve only won by luck. We’re not setup to be a high-press or possession dominant side, but we create good chances and concede a very limited number of high quality chances.

It’s not perfect, but this is still a starting XI with Davies, Doherty PEH etc in there. It isn’t going to be perfect.

It’s hard for me to imagine any other manager in the world extracting much more with these players than Conte is right now.
Maybe not all luck we have good players up top capable of good moments and winning us games but like brighton playing lesser sides that are wasteful with the many opportunities we give them allows us to gain results that when you play a similar style vs a better team just doesn't seem possible to achieve. Conte has got a lot from this side from where it was but like tonight I do think leaving this formation and those players out there unchanged for 80 minutes is just criminal and I expect so much better from him.

Overall I think Conte was out managed here, the tactics didn't work at all, sitting so deep, subs were too late.
But also Man Utd played with more intensity and desire, helped by their home fans. Fernandes was annoyingly good.

Maybe but do tactics or players' performances change/win games?

Something consistently and unfailingly does not click when we go to top team's grounds.

Its why we ain't winning Jack.
It's performance anxiety, lack of technical ability and Hojbjerg level mentality. We are a "team" with no spine. Put prime dembele, van de vaart and eriksen in that team and we're an absolute force to be reckoned with.

No I didn't tonight and completely agree on your opinion of the game. It was a shambles tonight but I don't think that was because the players weren't playing for the shirt.

I think we just got completely outplayed which can happen in an away match to another top side.
No it doesn’t and since when United are a top side anyway? This wasn’t United going to City. This was a team in 3rd going to a team 7 points behind who looked abject in their last 2 games at home but tonight we parted the waves from minute 1 - we made Fred look like a world beater, fucking Fred.

We played against Arse and largely stunk the place out and when an opportunity arose to right that wrong, we played even worse. Arse lost 3-1 at OT but that was a world away from that gutless shower we produced tonight. I genuinely fear tonight we announced we aren’t that a good team.

Hell Newcastle is a big game now and they are going to smell blood.

I said on 61 mins that Antonio needed to earn his corn. Get changes made. DO SOMETHING. Even my daughter who has only been watching footy for 5 or 6 years said it will be 80 mins before he decides it's not working..... First subs in the 82nd minute. I don't want another manager. I just want this one to be a little more dynamic.

Your daughter was absolutely correct

Conte’s use of subs is appalling

Of course. But every team has shit games in a season.

Utd were massively at it tonight, but let’s not forget how abject they are against Brighton, Brentford and City.

They got mauled by all 3.

Personally I was more frustrated with our massive fucking inability to control the ball or play a simple pass. Sooo many basic errors and we really let their press affect us too much.

We’ve ground out results all season without looking dynamic or anything like

Sunday’s game is going to tell us a lot

Back
Top Bottom