Spurs vs Leicester City - Sat 17th Sept 2022 - 5:30pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Happy Son-day everybody.
Loved yesterday, bit of a roller-coaster game, but I'd rather that than the boring fare we had served up on Tuesday.
Thought 6-2 was a tad flattering but so happy for Sonny, felt like a long time coming, but as it had been said before - form is temporary, class is forever.
Loved Hot Rod's contribution, he would have been MOTM for me before Sonny's hattrick. Also, Harry's contribution was so much better than Tuesday.
PS - thanks to mummy mummy for the homemade blueberry muffin, went down a treat with a cuppa when I got home.
PPS Watched MOTD last night and again this morning, such a treat when we win like that.
COYS
Hot Rod? Saucy Mrs P!

Some mistakes that need to be addressed but overall a very good win. Credit to Conte for finally using subs early and for changing to a midfield three. We completely controlled the match after the change.

Very happy for Son. Too bad the international break happens now or else I could see him going on a run like he does and scoring 7 in the next four games.

Sanchez had the dumb penalty but Perisic didn’t really help him with both missing tackles.

Lloris had a fantastic game. The save at 3-2 won the game imo. That goes in and it’s 3-3 with them having momentum. Instead we scored minutes later and 4-2 it was over.

But sess is shit defending and so is Dav, bent, etc yet they play. Ffs his system relies on the WBs providing the creativity as the CM2 offer none so surely spence can be afforded some license to play?
6-2 and you won’t shut up

If we're playing the what if game, Sanchez could easily have had 2 today.... And their penalty was iffy too.
I watched the full game on Footyfull last night and actually thought that, apart from his 2 minute brainfart, Sanchez had quite a good game. I agree on the penalty though, as contact was just outside the line.

The goal that was chalked off, IMO, should have stood. Sanchez launches himself early, well away from the keeper, and you could argue that the keeper actually fouls him and prevents him from getting his head to the ball. Where VAR is concerned, it's kind of like Umpire's call in Cricket, where they don't overrule because it isn't seen as a clear and obvious error. If the ref hadn't given it, I don't think VAR changes it.

With respect to the game itself, I actually felt that the first half was our best half, strangely enough. Leicester had spells where they had lots of possession and yes, we did cough it up more than we should have, but the only threat they had was due to the penalty and a Worldie finish from Maddison. 99 times out of 100 that doesn't go in, the gap between Lloris' outstretched hand and the post is a postage stamp. I'll not take it away from the boy though, it was a quality shot. So basically, going in 4-2 up at half time wouldn't have been unfair.

It was the second half where, after a good 10 minute spell when we scored, we were poor again for about 20 minutes or so, constantly coughing up the ball and losing our shape. This was when Leicester were most dangerous and yet they only really created the one semi decent chance with Daka's header. A good save from Lloris, but one I'd expect him to make regardless.

After Some came on we still coughed it up, but we also became more threatening. As others have already stated on here though, it was the introduction of Bissouma and the change of shape that then killed them off. We coughed the ball up far less, both Bentancur and Hojbjerg became a threat going forward, and Son's pace & movement had them on toast.

The one thing I noted throughout the game though was how little threat they posed in the final third. Whilst they had a lot of possession, there was an awful lot of probing, then recycling back to the halfway line. Even when they got the ball into our box, they were swamped by our players and never really looked like getting a decent shit off, with just a couple of long range efforts that sailed over the bar or went wide. The only really decent effort they had in the half came in injury time when we were already 6-2 up.

I can see why there was so much angst during the game as yes, we gave up possession too often for comfort, but having seen the game without the adrenaline pumping, it's apparent that for most of the game we defended quite comfortably and coughed the ball up when an errant touch, or a bit of miscontrol when breaking swiftly, lost the ball. This is always going to happen with a swift counter style of Football, they just have to refine it so it doesn't happen so often.

All in all though, I don't think we were nearly as poor as some have made us out to have been, though it's clearly evident that there is still a lot of improvement that can be made, particularly technically.

Where was the infringement of the penalty? I have a still, dunno how to upload it but don't see why they retook the penalty.

André Mariner did VAR and he previously tried to disallow a Harry Kane goal by zooming in on VAR and excluding the ball which was in front of Kane, so he couldn't be offside even if he was last man.

Mariner was taking an age and as I said he zoomed in so viewers couldn't see the ball but on Tottenham's big screen they showed it.

Once Mariner realised Spurs had it on the big screen and fans started to BOO Mariner he zoomed out and then gave the goal.

This is the same man who made a retake of the penalty which was a dive - Sanchez starts to lunge and then pulls out - the Leicester player dives (Sky commentary do their lies to cover up). It was a very clear dive by Justine and a travesty, yet VAR Mariner did not overrule the ref on a clear and obvious error.

Same happened again when ref gave a foul on a Sanchez goal, and also a penalty on Sanchez with full contact on him in Leicester's box. Sky did not show one replay of it and basically ignored it.

Then Son's hattrick goal, how can the lino fllag offside and get it so wrong? They know it will be reviewed and even Mariner can't deny that one, so the linesman in a close call favours Leicester??? Why? How? Makes no sense except that TOTTENHAM GET THE WORST REFEREEING ON THE PLANET.
It wasn't even Marriner doing VAR,
It was an alien from the planet Zarg, who invaded his body, and as we all know, everyone on Zarg supports Woolwich

The problem is… it’s like when we score we just stop playing attacking football. We were great until Dier scored. And we were great until Bentancur scored in 2nd half. I don’t know ehat happens.
I haven’t noticed this every game but it was apparent yesterday that our two poor periods were when we went up 2-1 and 3-2.

Just seen the penalty retake decision.. What a load of dogshit. I have seen penalty save this season where the keeper was miles off his line, but never looked at. Watch Kane’s penalty against forest, the keeper was closer to Kane than his line and it wasn’t even looked at.

I may be wrong but that was the only penalty I can recall that has been checked.
Pretty sure Henderson still had one foot on the line which is the rule. The other foot can be an inch from the penalty spot if you can make both work.

Pretty sure Henderson still had one foot on the line which is the rule. The other foot can be an inch from the penalty spot if you can make both work.
61810203-0-image-a-5_1661709248999.jpg

The pen was a pen. Sanchez catches his trailing leg, which was left to be caught. He wasn’t throwing himself down like salad, but he did go easy and early. Thought Sanchez was good overall, though.
I can’t believe people think that wasn’t a pen. The Leicester player got his foot run over while running at high speed… of course he’s going down.

Sanchez only has himself to blame for that awful challenge. Just because he tried to pull out doesn’t mean it’s not a foul.

Of course you’re right loris was marginally off his line … but it’s more a case of he hasn’t actually checked he’s not in contact with the line … what he hasn’t done is moved before the ball is kicked to gain an advantage… he still makes that save

Again Sanchez does foul him …. But Justin is clever … Sanchez realises he’s not going to make it and pulls away …. Justin sticks his leg behind him to make sure there’s contact …. Seems it’s a done thing these days … Justin buys that pen
Nothing in the rule about gaining advantage. It’s one foot on the line minimum or a retake.

Also he did gain advantage, so you’re doubly wrong.

He'd have to be a flea if he can get that far off his line in the time it's taken the ball to travel 8 yds.
It does look pretty far out in that picture… just saying I remember one earlier this year where the front leg was way off the line and the back leg was still on the line and that’s the only saved PK I can think of.

Isn't it odd how  none of those who were melting like Cornettos in the Sahara in the first half showed up in the second when we were outstanding?
Narrative shift, now we were turgid but got lucky with Tactical changes, and, a Son blitz (which happened due to the changes, of course).

Never, ever, happy.

Total dominance for 90minutes, of every game, or Conte out… it seems.

Reasonable minds : but, he’s building, best home win sequence ever at new stadium, check. Overhaul of poor squad, check. Raising concentration and fitness/condition levels, check.

Grinding through a settling period after 6 new additions, not pretty, but Kane and Son have been chief culprits in disjoining play, no manager could foresee that.

His conservative nature will have been challenged and a better Conte may emerge (folks are acting like Conte and analysts will be blind to the opening up effect the 5-3-2 brought).

All this back and forth is about the enforcement of the rule; not the rule itself.

Rulebook says "re-take" yesterday.

Correct decision.

I was too tired to post yesterday after getting back form the game (fuck 530 kick offs) but wanted to just state how much of a legend Hugo was. A couple of absolutely top draw saves, that one at 3-2 looked like it was curling in and he tipped it away.

His distribution was absolute wank as always but what a hero.

Also it's fucking hilarious watching Emerson up close. He was nowhere near Harvey Barnes or Maddison at times, they seemed to be putting two players in his area. Luckily it wasn't exploited.

Back
Top Bottom