West Ham United VS Tottenham Hotspur - Wednesday 31th August, London Stadium 19:45

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hugo cost us this one in all honesty and could have handed us a defeat. He was utterly awful today with the ball at his feet.

Bissouma I thought looked very casual at times with some of his touches but you can see the talent there. Hoped for a bit more from him on his debut but his progressive passing is a lot better than I expected.

Think we were lucky to escape with a point but the unbeaten streak is still there.

For me, this was by far the least intense we looked all season. Think it’s somewhat on Conte for not rotating more and not using his subs.

We need to regroup, rotate a few players and come out of the blocks with intensity against Fulham.
The fact that he got caught out with this numerous times is what did my head in. You can make that mistake once, but it kept happening over and over again in the second half.

The fact that he got caught out with this numerous times is what did my head in. You can make that mistake once, but it kept happening over and over again in the second half.
lack of initiative and taking control of a situation...thats the captain too!

this is nothing new with lloris, its always been his major flaw

We really have to start to play better. But in another hand we’ve been lacklustre but still getting points. Don’t see us playing worse than we’ve been doing so things should get better. I really think the key to our team is to have a wing back on the right that’s dangerous in attack like Perisic is. Emerson will never be good for this system.

We really have to start to play better. But in another hand we’ve been lacklustre but still getting points. Don’t see us playing worse than we’ve been doing so things should get better. I really think the key to our team is to have a wing back on the right that’s dangerous in attack like Perisic is. Emerson will never be good for this system.

A CB with genuinely great distribution and a top class, marauding RWB would have a pretty remarkable impact I think. Got to wonder when Conte gives Lenglet a shot, Fulham?

A CB with genuinely great distribution and a top class, marauding RWB would have a pretty remarkable impact I think. Got to wonder when Conte gives Lenglet a shot, Fulham?

Romero & Doherty back should brighten things up a fair bit.

That said; I'd have liked to have seen Spence given a whirl for the last 10/15 mins tonight if Doh wasn't fit enough.

What's so sad about this is that conte has been out thought by moyes. Simple game plan mark up in MF and make our players pass back to Sanchez, Davies and Emerson. Then press. This is Italian tactics!!!
All I can figure is that he's happy to play for the draw here- and that hes not as confident in our depth as we'd like to hope :/

Romero & Doherty back should brighten things up a fair bit.

That said; I'd have liked to have seen Spence given a whirl for the last 10/15 mins tonight if Doh wasn't fit enough.

Will be so happy when Emerson stops being our starting right back. The lad gives his all but he kills us going forward down the right, the contrast with Perisic says it all.

Romero will help with playing out for sure, do think Lenglet deserves a shot at showing what he can do as well.

Davies is fine defensively but rarely cuts up anyone with his passing. Against top level opposition his forward forays look fairly ineffective. Lenglet to get a start vs Fulham is a great shout.

Davies is fine defensively but rarely cuts up anyone with his passing. Against top level opposition his forward forays look fairly ineffective. Lenglet to get a start vs Fulham is a great shout.

I’d love to see both him & Spence start but the latter definitely isn’t happening. We need some real thrust down that right hand side though, at the moment it’s where our attacks go to die.

Will be so happy when Emerson stops being our starting right back. The lad gives his all but he kills us going forward down the right, the contrast with Perisic says it all.

Romero will help with playing out for sure, do think Lenglet deserves a shot at showing what he can do as well.

Would be happy enough to see him get a run, but I think Ben is (typically) just quietly going about his business (tidy, but unspectacular) and if there's a bit more oppo concern created by our right side then things should open up a bit for him on the left and he'll get to be a bit more aggressive like he was at his best last season.

Emerson: Poor bugger's settled down and doing pretty well; just not in terms of what's being demanded of him.

I’d love to see both him & Spence start but the latter definitely isn’t happening. We need some real thrust down that right hand side though, at the moment it’s where our attacks go to die.

The combo of Emerson & Sanchez is more damaging than they are individually; IMO.

I love Conte and trust him, but I'm with you that we desperately need more attacking thrust from the RWB. Conte needs to be brave and give Spence a start. Fulham are doing well imo so far this year but its definitely no game out of reach for him as he played oppo their level all last season. We could be in for a frustrating string of 1-1 and 0-0 games otherwise.

Would be happy enough to see him get a run, but I think Ben is (typically) just quietly going about his business (tidy, but unspectacular) and if there's a bit more oppo concern created by our right side then things should open up a bit for him on the left and he'll get to be a bit more aggressive like he was at his best last season.

Emerson: Poor bugger's settled down and doing pretty well; just not in terms of what's being demanded of him.

Lenglet’s distribution is meant to be on another level though. And shit, I get Davies hasn’t done much wrong, but surely we didn’t sign Lenglet purely for the bench? At home to Fulham seems as good an opportunity as any to see what he can do.

And yeah, it’s a shame. I’ll be fair & say he’s better than I thought he was. But he’s just just still so clumsy, not a wing back by any stretch of the imagination.

Lenglet’s distribution is meant to be on another level though. And shit, I get Davies hasn’t done much wrong, but surely we didn’t sign Lenglet purely for the bench? At home to Fulham seems as good an opportunity as any to see what he can do.

And yeah, it’s a shame. I’ll be fair & say he’s better than I thought he was. But he’s just just still so clumsy, not a wing back by any stretch of the imagination.

I think Lenglet's loan (w/ no option) status renders him somewhat of a curiosity.......

I think Lenglet's loan (w/ no option) status renders him somewhat of a curiosity.......

I’ll be seriously disappointed if he really is just a stop-gap bench filler for the season. Hoping it’s just him adjusting to the Conte setup & because Davies has earned some credit.

Hopefully Bissouma pushes on too.. really subdued tonight.

Here's the formula to play us: sit deep, man mark Kane around the pitch, and invite Spurs to beat you with any of the following players: Emerson, Sanchez, Davis, Dier.
exactly. easy fucking game! let the back 3 have all the ball, apply no pressure and keep all the forward players marked as nothing will happen.

also the players in front of that back 3 are subconsciously not going to be moving as much for the ball as its simply a waste of energy as the quality of pass is not coming.

its like cruyff said, the aim is to let your opponents weak players see as much of the ball as possible!

I’ll be seriously disappointed if he really is just a stop-gap bench filler for the season. Hoping it’s just him adjusting to the Conte setup & because Davies has earned some credit.

I dunno...... The main disappointment for me would come from him being a hit and he or Barca blocking us from making him perm next summer.

Hopefully Bissouma pushes on too.. really subdued tonight.

Still got work to do......... Dumb early card won't have helped tonight tho'.

I'd start him against Fulham too. Need him up and running asap with the CL only a week away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom