Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You may well be correct but shall we wait and find out before everyone writes him off?
Not writing him off either, but it's a bit funny how over the course of a few weeks, his reputation has skyrocketed on here.

The most realistic scenario is that he's a rarely used sub/backup CB.

Not writing him off either, but it's a bit funny how over the course of a few weeks, his reputation has skyrocketed on here.

Davies had no competition last season. Conte had to try Sanchez where he cant start Davies , but was a car crash in most of those games.

Most realistic scenario is - he will get equal chance to stake a claim. If he can show it, he will keep getting more chances. If not, Davies plays as no1 as much as possible

Davies had no competition last season. Conte had to try Sanchez where he cant start Davies , but was a car crash in most of those games.

Most realistic scenario is - he will get equal chance to stake a claim. If he can show it, he will keep getting more chances. If not, Davies plays as no1 as much as possible
if you put that many ifs in your statement you're not actually saying anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

I’ve never seen him play (or taken any notice of him if I have) so don’t have an opinion either way. It just amuses me how everyone seems to be an expert on every player nowadays. I’ve watched one YouTube video of him where he looked a decent passer forwards, which is why I think Conte wants him.

He must have been good before Sevilla for Monchi to buy him, he must have been good at Sevilla for Barcelona to want him and he can’t be that bad now if Conte wants him. I just think we don’t need to judge the player in extremes until we see him play for us. He might be a donkey or not as good as Davies in that position though, so you could be right. Let’s see.

FXE1viiWAAE0tMo

I'd bet Spain's national debt that he plucks his monobrow and laser treats a low hairline.

Swerve

I’ve never seen him play (or taken any notice of him if I have) so don’t have an opinion either way. It just amuses me how everyone seems to be an expert on every player nowadays. I’ve watched one YouTube video of him where he looked a decent passer forwards, which is why I think Conte wants him.

He must have been good before Sevilla for Monchi to buy him, he must have been good at Sevilla for Barcelona to want him and he can’t be that bad now if Conte wants him. I just think we don’t need to judge the player in extremes until we see him play for us. He might be a donkey or not as good as Davies in that position though, so you could be right. Let’s see.

Just to add to your comments, when Barcelona extended his contract in 2020 (to 2026) they put in a buy out clause (mandatory in Spain) of 300m.

Whilst he's not played that much for Barcelona in the last season, I don't believe anyone extends a contract 2 years ago with a huge buy out clause without them being a reasonable grade footballer.

Barca are absolutely fucked financially...if WE wanted an option added in order for the deal to go through an option would be added.

it seems we're not sold on the player and are just agreeing to a short term fix in the hope that the player can perform better then the expectation levels.

Its clear Conte specified a LCB and he's ok'd this one because the other options are out of reach and he probably thinks he can work his magic on him.
Barca are slowly, but surely, getting its finances in order. And learned from past mistakes maybe.
If Lenglet plays well, that means Barca can sell him at a decent price - maybe for more than Spurs were willing to pay in an eventual buy-option. If he doesn't play, well, Spurs won't buy him anyway, unless it's a compulsory purchase; something Spurs would be reluctant to include in a contract. And if Davies keep on plays as well as he did last season I am not that concerned about LCB for now (but yes I would have liked to have seen a Gvaridol at that spot next season).

In which case I hope he's just considered cheap short-term depth; because if he does well Barca will want a fortune and we'd have disrupted Davies for the privilege of rehabbing one of Barca's assets.
Even if he plays well for just 1 season then Spurs will have benefitted for that 1 season. And Davies will most probably be replaced next season anyway - at least that was what Spurs tried to do for this season. And should Davies keep Lenglet out of the team, then no harm done. Having Lenglet around may cause Davies to raise his game even more.

Last edited:

Yeah, I'm not trying to make a judgement of Lenglet. Just annoyance at the obvious lack of critical thinking from some posters.

He may have a great season, there are seasons to be hopeful, but it's like every day he gets better, without having kicked a ball. It's like those gooner posts on twitter about how coming 5th is acutally a clever move by lego boy.

Nah mate, we got a 3rd/4th choice CB cos we couldn't land Bastoni, Gvardiol, Schlotterbeck etc. Expectations should be in line with that.

Face facts, Lenglet is a worthless pile of shit. Match ratings from a website says so. I was going to wait and see how he did in a different team, league, country etc but there's just no point now. Sack Paratici . Conte out.

Back
Top Bottom