Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's not going to outshine anyone, even Dier and Sanchez unless he goes back 5 years to the player Barcelona thought they were signing.
That's a huge ask let alone to come in and shine at it.

Once again - half the sentence and you make an opinon of it - disregarding rest of what I said.

1 year back, majority of fan base wanted to get rid of Dier - and for good reason given he had some bad bad games. But Conte saw a player he can salvage and salvage he did by bringing his best qualities out & hiding his mistakes

In same way, some of Lenglet qualities are world class whether you like it or not - even in worst 20/21 season, his passing & progressive stats were better than Bastoni.

IMO, as a start, Spurs will suit him almost too perfectly

Lenglet Weakness : Slow when running back, ball behind the defense struggles , he puts high risk tackles at times. All of his weakness gets exaggerated by Barca - they play high line, no defensive midfield, fullbacks who gets exploited time & again.

Seville (17/18) and we under Conte - dont play high line - play with 2 functional Defensive midfielders who screen well, defensively well organised and we drop back well. This means, potentially Lenglet doesnt have to deal with ball behind defense. Like Dier, his weakness can also be hidden to an extent.

No one knows how future will be - but with Lenglet , Conte has something good to work with.

Sorry I know it's not transfers but

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Friends

Looks like a busted up Pikachu.

perhaps we're hopeful of getting our No.1 target later in the window, in Jan or next summer. Having a player covering the sport we need would make us look a little less desperate and Conte get players NOW that he can integrate. Clearly clutching at straws.

Could an option to buy still be retrospectively added? Seems it's not in Barca's interests to do this once he has signed on loan...
So volleyball players would be a bad idea then, huh?

:gallashmm:

It's crazy the amount of delusion we humans are capable of. Some of you will soon declare Lenglet the greatest CB to have ever played.

Players like Kulusevski and Bentancur are not the norm. Conte isn't magic, he couldn't turn Tangana into a quality CB, nor could he teach Emerson to cross. Sometimes the boring assumption is the right one.

Lenglet will most likely have a Carlos Vinicius type unremarkable, and short, stay at Spurs before we move again for Bastoni/Gvardiol next summer.
Agree with the first two paragraphs. It is a bit delusional to think that any player we get Conte will turn into a world beater.

Last paragraph is drawing a poor conclusion, though.

The Athletic have now revealed that Tottenham’s desire to complete their signings early was a key reason why the club decided to step up their pursuit of Clement Lenglet over their other left centre-back options.

If some of the reports over recent days are to be believed, Lenglet is now close to completing a season-long loan move to Spurs (Sport). In fact, Fabrizio Romano has now given the deal his ‘here we go’ seal of approval.

The Athletic report that Josko Gvardiol, Alessandro Bastoni, Nico Schlotterbeck and Sven Botman were all ahead of Lenglet in Tottenham’s wish list when the summer transfer window opened.

However, it is explained that Leipzig were demanding a huge fee for Gvardiol while Inter were reluctant to let Bastoni go.

In addition, Schlotterbeck was said to be keen to remain in Germany and Tottenham reportedly felt that Botman would not be a good fit for the back three, which is why they allowed the Dutchman to go to Newcastle.

So, rather than waiting until later in the transfer window, hoping that Leipzig or Inter change their stance on Gvardiol or Bastoni, Antonio Conte’s men allegedly decided to bring in Lenglet to add experience and competition to their backline.

It is asserted that a move for the Frenchman represents something of a ‘compromise’ from Spurs, with the club viewing the 27-year-old as a temporary ‘stop-gap’.

Rather than spending relatively big money on Sven Botman or Pau Torres, who might not be ideal fit for Antonio Conte’s back three, it makes sense for the club to use Lenglet as a temporary stop-gap, and try again to sign one of Bastoni or Gvardiol next summer.

Once again - half the sentence and you make an opinon of it - disregarding rest of what I said.

1 year back, majority of fan base wanted to get rid of Dier - and for good reason given he had some bad bad games. But Conte saw a player he can salvage and salvage he did by bringing his best qualities out & hiding his mistakes

In same way, some of Lenglet qualities are world class whether you like it or not - even in worst 20/21 season, his passing & progressive stats were better than Bastoni.

IMO, as a start, Spurs will suit him almost too perfectly

Lenglet Weakness : Slow when running back, ball behind the defense struggles , he puts high risk tackles at times. All of his weakness gets exaggerated by Barca - they play high line, no defensive midfield, fullbacks who gets exploited time & again.

Seville (17/18) and we under Conte - dont play high line - play with 2 functional Defensive midfielders who screen well, defensively well organised and we drop back well. This means, potentially Lenglet doesnt have to deal with ball behind defense. Like Dier, his weakness can also be hidden to an extent.

No one knows how future will be - but with Lenglet , Conte has something good to work with.
Going by your logic 1 year ago Winks was *****, 1 year after he still is... Should i continue or you get the point.
Our defense was far from perfect even with Conte.....
Lenglet is very risky, and lets wait and aee how its going to work out.
But no need to hype him, he ain't world claas, never really was. Stats is irrelevant.

He's living rent free in your head though.
Just find it extremely pathetic that a guy will pretend for years, might’ve been a decade by now, that they have inside info and has run to the one forum where they’re treated like royalty in order to protect that lie. Has he had his annual ‘you lot are asking too many questions, I quit’ strop yet?

Saliba doesn't count as HG for Woolwich and never will. Sarr will never count as HG for us.

They have to have be registered to play at the club for 3 years before the end of the season in which they turn 21. If they are on loan, they aren't registered to play for the parent club, they are registered to play for the club they are on loan at.

You should get onto the club about this, they keep putting Sessegnon in the HG column. Maybe they didn't realise? Come to think of it, they put Kane in the club trained column too... the idiots

i remember going away from wembley when barca beat us thinking lenglet was fucking unreal, there's a fucking good player in there.

Really? I remember thinking we could score every time we had a go as their defence was as bad as ours.

Barcelona's defence is the only thing which could let them down this season. Tottenham didn't create a great deal yet still managed to score two goals, which will come as a concern to Ernesto Valverde.

Player Ratings

Starting XI: Ter Stegen (7); Alba (8), Lenglet (6), Pique (6), Semedo (6); Rakitic (8), Busquets (7), Arthur (7); Coutinho (8), Suarez (8), Messi (9*)

One of Barcelona's 3 worst players according to that

Going by your logic 1 year ago Winks was *****, 1 year after he still is... Should i continue or you get the point.
Our defense was far from perfect even with Conte.....
Lenglet is very risky, and lets wait and aee how its going to work out.
But no need to hype him, he ain't world claas, never really was. Stats is irrelevant.

Did Winks play for Seville or Barca or get 15 caps for France (or equivalent) ?

I am not saying Conte can polish everyone. But then, even our Winks had a decent end to the season under Conte.

Conte cannot make a player shine if there is no inherent top class quality. He can make a player better by making instructions simple, repeatable and with some hard work can make it work

By the way , what did I hype about Lenglet

I said his passing stats are world class - even in his worst 20/21 season - thats a fact. Thats not hyping. You can go check it.

I have qualitifed everythign I said about Lenglet with caveat that - Conte can only give him the environment but he has to improve his defensive game-thats up to him only

And its not a risk if its a loan - why is it a risk ? If he is only loan, if he fails, insurance policy kicks in and we dont need to buy him

Agree with the first two paragraphs. It is a bit delusional to think that any player we get Conte will turn into a world beater.

Last paragraph is drawing a poor conclusion, though.
Not saying it's a guarantee, but that's the most likely scenario. If he becomes actually useful beyond the most minor games, that would be the unexpected scenario.

Back
Top Bottom