January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of bringing Slimani a guy who was a huge flop in Leicester is mesmerising
But considering we're currently a level below Leicester, he could be good for us.

UnrealisticPoorCrocodileskink-small.gif

No. DL is in control of this club from top to bottom. There is evidence of that everywhere. Beyond that there is very little to be gleaned. We do know that Poch had some input (final call on this one or that one?) hence his elevation to Manager from first team coach. But we also know that all transfers were within the constraints of our stadium-build budget, 50% turnover, etc etc etc.

The problem now is people revising history to discredit Poch because they cannot handle the problems that are clear to see currently with their club. They are there, they were there and they will continue to be there for some time in the future as it doens't look like an immediate fix. Some still want to lick the honey on the leaves of the twig but it will be no consolation. A DM won't do it. A backup striker won't do it. These things are only bandaids (plasters?) for problems that have been here for some decent amount of time. DL runs the club very well and has done a masterful job raising the profile of the club. Poch did an extraordinary job of accelerating that process, so much so that the entitled mob now can't bear to look at what we are now. I sense that both of them wish they could have a do over of the previous 2 years.

And for me, thus far, Mou is still a cunt that I never wanted but he is blameless in all of this. Much or most of this predates him.

If only Poch had had a source of new blood in vital positions that he could tap into, that would give the side some fresh legs and minds and enable him to continue his philosophy of high tempo pressing, of football playing through midfield. I mean they needn't be world class eh, after all, Poch happily played older experienced fuckwits who struggle with their first touch so his quality threshold wasn't high.

This is exactly what Wenger did when Woolwich had to build a stadium, and though many of those players were not world class, Wenger's coaching improved them, got them through a difficult time, and kept them in the CL, and winning trophies for what they were worth, throughout and out the other side.

Of course, Poch did do a great job of coaching a good squad (largely assembled before he arrived and was made head of Human Resources Dept) to achieve some great football and results. But lets not forget the fucking mess he made of the next phase. His recruitment was piss poor. No all on him, Levy must take a big chunk of the blame for trusting a guy that signed Danny Osvaldo twice and Moussa Sissoko because "he was great against us" and Thiery Henry told him he had a good Euro.

He continually made poor choices. Selections that were counter intuitive to his tactics. Tactics that were counter intuitive to the opposition in big games - and little ones, but it's easier to get away with it against shutter teams.

Levy should never have let Poch talk him out of a DOF. He should also have been looking at best practice models and keeping us as a club up with the best systems for recruitment, recruitment analytics, scouting networks etc - Especially while he knew he was going to be tied up developing the stadium.

I do not believe for one minute that Pochettino wasn't offered signings two summer ago, but he no longer wanted Alli's and Dier's (or Njie's and Nkoudou's) for 5-10m. He wanted VVD's for 75m and if he wasn't getting them he was going to fucking sulk.

Sell eriksen and use that money to help bring a striker. Why is it so hard?
I totally agree with the question. Why is this so hard ?

My conspiracy theory brain is tonight fixed on the theory that Levy has said its again a sell to buy situation. £20m on Eriksen + £15m on KWP = Piatek there or there abouts.

Anything else is a loan punt like Andy Booth / Fraser Campbell days.

Keep the top spot on the net spending league. Christ we seem cheap.

I totally agree with the question. Why is this so hard ?

My conspiracy theory brain is tonight fixed on the theory that Levy has said its again a sell to buy situation. £20m on Eriksen + £15m on KWP = Piatek there or there abouts.

Keep the top spot on the net spending league. Christ we seem cheap.
Levy is like me playing FM. But oh well real life is a bit harder

If only Poch had had a source of new blood in vital positions that he could tap into, that would give the side some fresh legs and minds and enable him to continue his philosophy of high tempo pressing, of football playing through midfield. I mean they needn't be world class eh, after all, Poch happily played older experienced fuckwits who struggle with their first touch so his quality threshold wasn't high.

This is exactly what Wenger did when Woolwich had to build a stadium, and though many of those players were not world class, Wenger's coaching improved them, got them through a difficult time, and kept them in the CL, and winning trophies for what they were worth, throughout and out the other side.

Of course, Poch did do a great job of coaching a good squad (largely assembled before he arrived and was made head of Human Resources Dept) to achieve some great football and results. But lets not forget the fucking mess he made of the next phase. His recruitment was piss poor. No all on him, Levy must take a big chunk of the blame for trusting a guy that signed Danny Osvaldo twice and Moussa Sissoko because "he was great against us" and Thiery Henry told him he had a good Euro.

He continually made poor choices. Selections that were counter intuitive to his tactics. Tactics that were counter intuitive to the opposition in big games - and little ones, but it's easier to get away with it against shutter teams.

Levy should never have let Poch talk him out of a DOF. He should also have been looking at best practice models and keeping us as a club up with the best systems for recruitment, recruitment analytics, scouting networks etc - Especially while he knew he was going to be tied up developing the stadium.

I do not believe for one minute that Pochettino wasn't offered signings two summer ago, but he no longer wanted Alli's and Dier's (or Njie's and Nkoudou's) for 5-10m. He wanted VVD's for 75m and if he wasn't getting them he was going to fucking sulk.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Poch was no coach. Kane was the main reason we got the results we got under Poch. Not his coaching or tactics.

Wow Inter have increased their offer from 11m to 12.8m. Surely only Levy haggles like this ?

He'll get his £15m. That extra dough pays off Gedson for 18 months.

I wonder if this news will light a bright spark in Levy's bonce:

You wanna play BC? I got a few more rounds in me since that libelous coward Spursidol Spursidol got shut up so quickly. I love the silence of victory.

His 3 is closer than your 7 though Todd. Sissoko was a Pochettino signing. JJ confirmed it, and he loved Poch and was happy to have a pop at Levy (and he confirmed at the time, not when it became obvious it was a huge waste of money).
JJetset is a mouthpiece for the club and it was known at the time the Sissoko deal for 30M was a fuckup (do you know anyone that said "great deal" when that deal concluded? No, no you don't) but DL played silly buggers because he thought he could wait Ashley out (sounds like Grealish) but Everton threw a spanner in the works didn't they? And since DL didn't pay up the 25 for Wijnaldum earlier he had to capture a MF for Poch didn't he? So he got his balls in a grinder paying 30M for Sissoko.

If he wanted him then why did he have such a hard time integrating him? Don't worry you'll have no answer for that.

You really think Levy foists a 30m fee/25m wages 27yo on a manager - who's just made a big public show of his new role as manager (following on from his dinner with SAF who tells him his secretary of success is always to be in charge of transfers) at coincidentally the time our new head of recruitment analytics leaves the club?
No but I think he DID it after saying no to the player he did want in Wijnaldum that summer. Shall we look for the pictures and articles of Wijnaldum at the training ground? Pattern just like Mane.

And yes, I've got a massive axe to grind with a manger who spends a whole autobiography telling us how much he believes in the promotion of youth, but then spent three years giving fucking shit players he's signed tens of millions off on, like Sissoko and Aurier thousands of minutes while we had academy players already here, who are at worst equally shit, but at best given the time his signings were given to develop, better, for fuck all fee and about a tenth of the wages.
Nothing to do with the point in contention which was the scurrilous claim made by Spursidol. But I will entertain it...and by entertain it I mean show it for the tosh that it is.

Again, then maybe the kids need to be good but instead they are shit, shit BC. Accept it my man. Just because you want to see something doesn't make it necessary to happen. Edwards was a cock and not just at Spurs. Bentaleb was a cock and not just at Spurs. And so many of the others are average. Just accept it.

Winks, average. Onomah, average. KWP, average weak shit. Skipp? Does he compare to Camavinga? You were stroking to the French kid but would you have Skipp over him? Would you BC? Answer that? See, you have no faith in the academy!!!! Why? Because they are average. If we actually spent money on bringing in youth with the raw materials like Chelsea do then they would actually be good enough to play.

Our youth don't win shit BC. They don't because they are not good enough. FACTS!!!! When they actually win something then your axe will be appropriately placed to grind. But right now you are just shouting at the clouds.

Being a fuckwit billy big bollocks who's publicly called his previous manager a faggot who sucks off his start player didn't seem to prevent Poch signing Aurier - when we already had two RB's - and Poch has fessed up to talking to Aurier before we signed him - so we know this one's not on Levy.

And it's also strange how Poch's high billy big bollock integrity threshold didn't see him kick Rose out of the club, or even the team. Go fucking figure.

And best of all, Poch's high integrity bar didn't seem to stop him signing Danny Osvaldo a second time after he'd been kicked out of the club he signed him for last time, and then having to kick him out and write off their record transfer fee.
Blah blah blah nothing to do with the previous point in contention. this time I shant entertain it.

More bullshit Todd, Sissoko played around 1500 minutes in his first season, more like 2000 his second season.

I'm suggesting Poch, could be a really good coach of players at times, but is a really poor judge and recruiter of players. But after the last 18 months of his time here does anyone doubt that? Sissoko as a CM in a team trying to play from the back? Dier as an 8? Moura as a CF? Son as a LWB in semi final? Townsend and Chadli instead of Dembele and Lamela in a final?
Again, what is the point of your post? The issue in contention was the revisionist point of Poch being in charge of transfers which is bullshit. Did he have input, yes. But who is in control of that BC?

You go into the youth and now tactics and character of transfers jeez you are all over the place. Might I suggest therapy for your Poch trauma? But this has nothing to do with what my issue was and that was the character assassination because you folks can't deal with the fact that we are shit (the youth too) and there is no shortcut out of it.

I ask the simple question BC in your mind was Poch responsible for the Sammy-Summer? In your opinion was Poch the first manager in history that said "Fuck it, I don't want any transfers Mr chairman"? If not then we know who was in charge and we should be very careful how we apportion blame. And we 'know' he didn't say no to transfers don't we? We 'know' that don't we? And did Poch secretly not want a "painful rebuild" this summer and was only putting on for the cameras? C'mon BC answer these without meandering into some youth drivel. I got faith in you. :wansum:

Couldnt have said it better myself. Poch was no coach. Kane was the main reason we got the results we got under Poch. Not his coaching or tactics.

To be fair the whole team Poch inherited once Adebayor/Kaboul/Capoue et al were sold was pretty decent, just a little thin.

Problem is that Poch added very little quality yo that beyond say Son and Alderweireld - and that's the cause of our problems now as that team has aged and few players coming through to replace them with the same quality. Just piss poor squad management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom