January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season is already a write off. Might as well buy some young talent to bed in.

Or even better promote the youth and get a real director of football in to start planning ahead.

Perhaps our strategy isn't about trophies and more about the friends we made along the way.

Are Inter insane?

They are actually negotiating for a long term out of form player who leaves on a free in six months with almost zero chance of getting an injury in that time.

Perhaps Conte has not bothered to check any of our games since he departed England.
Might be cheaper now than paying him a massive sign-on bonus in 6 months time?

This season is already a write off. Might as well buy some young talent to bed in.

Or even better promote the youth and get a real director of football in to start planning ahead.

Perhaps our strategy isn't about trophies and more about the friends we made along the way.
Our strategy hasn’t changed.
It was always this, just that Poch forgot along the way, that 4th and a domestic would not have been beneath us.

Somewhere along the way, we all thought we were only in it for the PL and CL.
We aren’t Barca and never was.

For all your defence of Levy - who can name one team at any level who don't have at least two senior strikers in their squad?

Very good point but I'd veer on the side of saying Man U. Rashford is class but he's in a transition moment where he might become a CF, might end up back as a WF similar to Sonny and Lucas, Martial the same I don't see him as a natural CF. the only one they have in their ranks is Greenwood, an 18 year old kid much like us with Parrott.

I see what you mean and I agree. It seemed we were interested in giving Llorente another year before he opted for two at Napoli so if the need was there then why did we choose not to act? Maybe the decent run we had with Son when Kane got injured last year deluded the hierarchy into thinking we had more outs than we actually do etc.

Are we really going to let MU buy Dembele from under our noses for 35 mil? Come on Daniel, this is a one off chance to bring in exactly the player we need at a reasonable price. Don't just sit on your fat arse and let OGS make a fool of you! Get bidding.....
Are you really going to believe they could do that?

Aulas doesn’t want to sell, so he surely won’t sell cheaply.

For all your defence of Levy - who can name one team at any level who don't have at least two senior strikers in their squad?
Levy spent 35M on back up to be fair.
Can you name any team at any level with 35M of back up strikers not featuring?

I can promise you that every team you do name is massively elite. We sold them after barely using them and I think it became crystal clear over the years that Kane was the only striker Poch was interested in.
Injured, poor, fatigued, 6-1 up, lower league oppo......Kane’s your man.
He didn’t target a replacement for the two strikers he let go.

Jose has said we need one, so this isn’t something to bash Levy over right now.
Feb 1 is another story though.

For all the criticism of Levy - who can name 1 center forward who has been available to buy in the last few years that we should have got?

Aubameyang? Lukaku? Higuain? Ibrahimavic?

Remember when the fans wanted - Falcao, Benteke, Jackson Martinez, Danny Ings - how would that have worked out?

If the players aren't available - we can't sign them.
If the players are too old - its a big risk

News Flash - Goalscorers that are good typically are not for sale.
Isn't it curious though that we seem the only major club to have this issue?

Very few players are actually put up for sale or made available to buy

Its up to the buying club to actively go out and pursue the players they feel will improve their team.
Sometimes you may have to pay over the odds to get them, especially in January, but if you have gaping holes in your squad you go that extra yard to fill them.

Unless, of course, on the pitch success is not a high priority.

Were in the top 8 richest clubs in the works ffs. Buy a striker

How about this his one for a potential curveball:

Used to play for Sunderland, I think we tried going for him at the time. London boy, 21 years of age and would count as homegrown. I wonder how he's been getting on and if the money is tight I doubt he'd cost too much. I feel he turns out no good we'd probably be able to flog him to Bournemouth Solanke style.

£100m + was spent, doubling that to £200m was never REALISTIC however much any number of fans might have wanted it.

1. 100m was not spent
2. Why would 200m be unrealistic?
3. It’s not necessarily that we have to spend fortunes it’s; why do we leave the squad with gaping holes and zero cover for positions?

Levy spent 35M on back up to be fair.
Can you name any team at any level with 35M of back up strikers not featuring?

I can promise you that every team you do name is massively elite. We sold them after barely using them and I think it became crystal clear over the years that Kane was the only striker Poch was interested in.
Injured, poor, fatigued, 6-1 up, lower league oppo......Kane’s your man.
He didn’t target a replacement for the two strikers he let go.

Jose has said we need one, so this isn’t something to bash Levy over right now.
Feb 1 is another story though.
More or less agree, however I wasn't LEVY OUTing, merely turning the original poster's "the players aren't available" apologetics on it's head.

As you say, February 1st will be the day to go proper ballistic if we still don't have a fit senior striker at the club. That said, Harry was crocked on New Year's Day, it was clear it was a bad one the next day. Perhaps a proactive SWOOP wouldn't have left us looking so toothless up front.

It's like transfer windows seem to take us by surprise when they come around, "fucking hell, is it that time already?"

Ajax - Huntelaar (36) Hansen (17) Traore (19) .... combined value under 10m ... that's zero senior strikers by any normal measurement.

or how about Liverpool they only have Firmino ... Origi is hardly a senior striker with just 6 EPL goals in three years .... Son is 1000% better

and there are plenty more .... all you have to do is look ... want you want Origi or any of those three from Ajax as main strikers? in fact how many of the EPL's backup strikers would you want to buy?

100% we want another striker, but to pretend every other club has 150m main man (Kane) and then a 100m back up, that's just ridiculous ....

Mr_Benn004.jpg

As if by magic the apologist appeared.

Would we be better off having Origi rather than nobody? Hell yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom