January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You wanna play BC? I got a few more rounds in me since that libelous coward Spursidol Spursidol got shut up so quickly. I love the silence of victory.

JJetset is a mouthpiece for the club and it was known at the time the Sissoko deal for 30M was a fuckup (do you know anyone that said "great deal" when that deal concluded? No, no you don't) but DL played silly buggers because he thought he could wait Ashley out (sounds like Grealish) but Everton threw a spanner in the works didn't they? And since DL didn't pay up the 25 for Wijnaldum earlier he had to capture a MF for Poch didn't he? So he got his balls in a grinder paying 30M for Sissoko.

If he wanted him then why did he have such a hard time integrating him? Don't worry you'll have no answer for that.

No but I think he DID it after saying no to the player he did want in Wijnaldum that summer. Shall we look for the pictures and articles of Wijnaldum at the training ground? Pattern just like Mane.

Nothing to do with the point in contention which was the scurrilous claim made by Spursidol. But I will entertain it...and by entertain it I mean show it for the tosh that it is.

Again, then maybe the kids need to be good but instead they are shit, shit BC. Accept it my man. Just because you want to see something doesn't make it necessary to happen. Edwards was a cock and not just at Spurs. Bentaleb was a cock and not just at Spurs. And so many of the others are average. Just accept it.

Winks, average. Onomah, average. KWP, average weak shit. Skipp? Does he compare to Camavinga? You were stroking to the French kid but would you have Skipp over him? Would you BC? Answer that? See, you have no faith in the academy!!!! Why? Because they are average. If we actually spent money on bringing in youth with the raw materials like Chelsea do then they would actually be good enough to play.

Our youth don't win shit BC. They don't because they are not good enough. FACTS!!!! When they actually win something then your axe will be appropriately placed to grind. But right now you are just shouting at the clouds.

Blah blah blah nothing to do with the previous point in contention. this time I shant entertain it.

Again, what is the point of your post? The issue in contention was the revisionist point of Poch being in charge of transfers which is bullshit. Did he have input, yes. But who is in control of that BC?

You go into the youth and now tactics and character of transfers jeez you are all over the place. Might I suggest therapy for your Poch trauma? But this has nothing to do with what my issue was and that was the character assassination because you folks can't deal with the fact that we are shit (the youth too) and there is no shortcut out of it.

I ask the simple question BC in your mind was Poch responsible for the Sammy-Summer? In your opinion was Poch the first manager in history that said "Fuck it, I don't want any transfers Mr chairman"? If not then we know who was in charge and we should be very careful how we apportion blame. And we 'know' he didn't say no to transfers don't we? We 'know' that don't we? And did Poch secretly not want a "painful rebuild" this summer and was only putting on for the cameras? C'mon BC answer these without meandering into some youth drivel. I got faith in you. :wansum:

You are just not worth responding too as your ignorance and arrogance is breathtaking.

I do not believe for one minute that Pochettino wasn't offered signings two summer ago, but he no longer wanted Alli's and Dier's (or Njie's and Nkoudou's) for 5-10m. He wanted VVD's for 75m and if he wasn't getting them he was going to fucking sulk.
Not dealing with the rest of that rehashing but I do think I agree with this. I have a feeling that he accepted it because of the big bullshit DL sold him only to have reality set in and he probably felt betrayed. But again this points to him NOT being the man in charge FFS. How can you say this yet somehow say Poch is responsible for recruitment? A mind focused on consistent application of logic cannot. Perhaps you need to give yourself a mental break from focusing on the youth.

He'll get his £15m. That extra dough pays off Gedson for 18 months.

I wonder if this news will light a bright spark in Levy's bonce:

Hmmm... Not the same type of player for them, but I still think we could have done a shit load worse than meeting Brozovic's 40m Eur buyout in the summer.

For all the criticism of Levy - who can name 1 center forward who has been available to buy in the last few years that we should have got?

Aubameyang? Lukaku? Higuain? Ibrahimavic?

Remember when the fans wanted - Falcao, Benteke, Jackson Martinez, Danny Ings - how would that have worked out?

If the players aren't available - we can't sign them.
If the players are too old - its a big risk

News Flash - Goalscorers that are good typically are not for sale.

Hmmm... Not the same type of player for them, but I still think we could have done a shit load worse than meeting Brozovic's 40m Eur buyout in the summer.

Not the same type of player but his injury will certainly be setting a Conte sized fire beneath the arses of their owners. They have a huge change of winning both the Europa League and Serie A this season, if they didn't have so much to play for I could see them gladly hold off until Eriksen is free to walk in the summer.

Levy knows they have silverware within reach, he'll know Brozovic is a big loss to them and how much of a shot in the arm a player of Eriksens quality will be to them should they bite the bullet and stump up the dough. Bizarrely with Eriksen out of contract and free to walk in a matter of months it's still advantage Levy.

We can critize Levy for many things, but not being able to buy another world class striker when we already have Kane is not one of them. Which striker in his right mind would join us knowing we have Kane and will be a second choice?

We can critize Levy for many things, but not being able to buy another world class striker when we already have Kane is not one of them. Which striker in his right mind would join us knowing we have Kane and will be a second choice?
Thing is, I'd never blame Levy for not buying another world class striker - but I absolutely do hold him responsible for leaving the summer window without any kind of actual bench option/backup for when Kane gets injured.

Hell, Llorente and Janssen were both brought in with that kind of role in mind so it clearly isn't impossible to get a player to come and move to London on decent wages with limited minutes on offer.

If I was being as charitable as possible, I'd suggest that maybe Levy assumed that Sonny could fill in capably for Kane if required (something he'd done okay with under Poch) but this is still irresponsible when you consider that both feature in our best XI and so you're left without a dedicated striker who can come off the bench and start easier cup matches. Elite clubs simply don't put themselves in that position.

Now we find ourselves desperate to land a striker in an awkward window, with any selling club knowing full well just how bad our situation is. The only positive I can see if that any potential signing will know they have an awful lot of matches to impress before Kane is anywhere near fit again, so may be more attractive to an up-and-comer.

Last edited:
If Cavani is willing to play second fiddle to Kane when he comes back then I’d be up for giving him a punt. Could come for very cheap now with his contract up in the summer but he would probably have high wages. Always liked him. Good all round player and always works his ass off anytime I’ve seen him play. Of course what does that mean for Parrott. Could really use him now though. I think he has as much a chance of succeeding in the EPL as anyone.

Thing is, I'd never blame Levy for not buying another world class striker - but I absolutely do hold him responsible for leaving the summer window without any kind of actual bench option/backup for when Kane gets injured.

Hell, Llorente and Janssen were both brought in with that kind of role in mind so it clearly isn't impossible to get a player to come and move to London on decent wages with limited minutes on offer.

If I was being as charitable as possible, I'd suggest that maybe Levy assumed that Sonny could fill in capably for Kane if required (something he'd done okay with under Poch) but this is still irresponsible when you consider that both feature in our best XI and so you're left without a dedicated striker who can come off the bench and start easier cup matches. Elite clubs simply don't put themselves in that position.

Now we find ourselves desperate to land a striker in an awkward window, with any selling club knowing full well just how bad our situation in. The only positive I can see if that any potential signing will know they have an awful lot of matches to impress before Kane is anywhere near fit again, so may be more attractive to an up-and-comer.

Yup you're absolutely right. A team as big as we'd are these days can't be leaving ourselves so vulnerable to injury. It seems we tried to mould Lucas into a hybrid and believe Sonny to actually be a hybrid when in reality neither are strikers.

The issue is that attackers cost the most. No defensive player makes the top 10 transfer fees ever paid and with us needing much TLC this summer in other areas it was a risk that ultimately hasn't worked out well.

I sometimes think that we've become too arrogant or too lofty in our desires for quality. There are times when you need bodies and times/ positions where you invest in class. Even now I look at it and see space for a striker who can be a water carrier up top to allow our shape not to alter. We don't need to go for the best of the best, we are hoping that Parrott or Etete make their breakthrough but is there really not a forward that ticks enough boxes dwelling at a mid table Portuguese or Dutch team that would be delighted to play for our club, who wouldn't eat into future transfer budgets significantly who would be more than happy to play second fiddle to Kane, even for a year and a half? We seem hell bent on the long game when in reality we could be smart, buy a bloke for £10m if needed and flog him in a year for a similar fee.

There's times when patience is a good thing and times when you should bite the bullet. I want big money spent on class at full back and defensively, not vast sums slammed into a makeshift until Kane returns but I can't see how there's not at least a dozen out there to pick from that we can't target or sign to maybe make the difference to keep things ticking over.

We require 3 starters to improve, a RB, CB and DM. That's where the bulk of our money should be going but the moment you lose Kane your priorities simply need to shift and urgently.

Now we find ourselves desperate to land a striker in an awkward window, with any selling club knowing full well just how bad our situation in. The only positive I can see if that any potential signing will know they have an awful lot of matches to impress before Kane is anywhere near fit again, so may be more attractive to an up-and-comer.

Here's one to throw into the mix short term...... Jann-Fiete Arp on loan from Bayern. Not getting games for them at the moment and he's surely more advanced than Parrott. 6 month loan in the PL would surely entice him and Bayern for experience.

Yeah, but we're familiar with a different paradigm, true free-agency enforced legally and accepted in supporter's minds. It is coming to that in football I believe. It is unsustainable otherwise. I know if I was in one of these player's position I would satisfy my contract...see what I did there? Satisfy instead of 'run down'. The Bosman gives the right but too many folks with incentives at odds with that of the player have a say in preventing that.

I have no issues with Eriksen's contract situation. I do have issues with his play the last 2 seasons. But it was the club's job to take action and the last time to do something about it was when, apparently, Poch decided (at least that's what Spursidol Spursidol and SchmoodSpur SchmoodSpur would have you believe but) that he didn't want any transfers in summer 2018. Two years before contract end or accept that the player will see it out to its termination and leave on a free. Why let your old club get 50M when it could go in your pocket? Transfer fees make no sense and neither do these longs contracts (from a top player's perspective).
Agreed, I think we'll see more of it and with it shorter contracts. Makes more sense, and curbs some of the power of agents and other shadier third parties.

Are we really going to let MU buy Dembele from under our noses for 35 mil? Come on Daniel, this is a one off chance to bring in exactly the player we need at a reasonable price. Don't just sit on your fat arse and let OGS make a fool of you! Get bidding.....

Are we really going to let MU buy Dembele from under our noses for 35 mil? Come on Daniel, this is a one off chance to bring in exactly the player we need at a reasonable price. Don't just sit on your fat arse and let OGS make a fool of you! Get bidding.....
Yes, because we have no transfer strategy to improve the team, just to buy cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom