Yid no more

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How about we replace the yid chants with anti-fascist ones. That way no-one gets insulted (except maybe paulo di canio), but we still keep hold of that defining part of our history.

Not sure I know any though. 'Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler' :avbshit:

Or that one they sing in Cassablanca to drown out the Nazis: the marseillaise :avbfacepalm:

Exactly, if the misguided think that the 'Yid' stuff is some kind of politically correct singalong, then let's do it properly. Let's sing 'we don't like fascists, we don't like racists, we love love all races and countries equally, blah blah'

oh wait because most of us, including me, couldn't sing that with a clear conscience.

The more I think about this subject, the more the pantomime lunacy of 'Yid Army' strikes me as absolutely hilarious. I swear next time I hear it down the pub I'm gonna burst out laughing.

'Jewish' is more than a religion. It can be classified as a 'nation' in the classical sense, meaning a group of people with a shared history and a sense of a group identity rather than a territorial and political entity. http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm#Nation

What nonsense.

This sense of a group identity is that they all share the same imaginary friend?

I could become Jewish tomorrow.

I'm glad you wrote that, some people seemed to think at the start of this debate that Jewish wasn't a nationality, and even thought that I was some kind of fool for talking about Jews as a nation. I knew it was far more complicated than that, but I just ignore people like that, who don't understand how tricky it to define Jewishness.
I have two points on this:

1. I thought you were some kind of fool talking about Jewish as a "nation", but if you already had this definition in mind, fair do's. I believe nation = geographical country, so don't agree with this and also don't have much time for the Nation of Islam. By very definition, counting these faiths as nations is pretty divisive.

2. Getting involved in a debate on a subject you feel strongly about on a public forum is great and I applaud you for your strong feelings on the subject. However, ignoring others in the debate because you disagree with them, or because you feel your opinion holds more weight isn't really on. For someone with strong courage of your convictions, you should not ignore anyone in the debate.

Not sure if I'm on the ignore list, so you maybe didnt even read this.

I find it strange that you seem able to define what is or isn't considered being Jewish yet at the same time claim to not associate with Jews. Everything is different for everyone The fact is no matter if you stop saying it or not people are going to associate the club with being Jewish. Is it better to act like a bitch and say you're right, we are not connected to Jews please stop hurting us? or say Fuck off we'll sing what we like, we are proud to be associated with Jews.

Based on The Crusades, Pogroms, The Inquisition and the Holacaust I think it is quite refreshing that a European club is proud to have a Jewish history, whether Jews have been a big influence on the club or not.

Also isn't our chairman Jewish?

But look at you now, at the first sign of trouble, tripping over yourselves to disassociate yourselves from us. I though you had our backs?
Who has said they are bailing? I don't see any change in the status quo, majority of Spurs fans will continue using the Y word whilst opposition fans continue to hiss, I don't see any amount of ransacked pubs changing that. Quite the opposite in fact.

I find it strange that you seem able to define what is or isn't considered being Jewish yet at the same time claim to not associate with Jews. Everything is different for everyone The fact is no matter if you stop saying it or not people are going to associate the club with being Jewish. Is it better to act like a bitch and say you're right, we are not connected to Jews please stop hurting us? or say Fuck off we'll sing what we like, we are proud to be associated with Jews.

Based on The Crusades, Pogroms, The Inquisition and the Holacaust I think it is quite refreshing that a European club is proud to have a Jewish history, whether Jews have been a big influence on the club or not.

Is this at me or Greaves?

If at me, I do associate with the Jewish identity of the club. I don't believe in God, but I associate with the Jewish heritage of Spurs.

I just don't like the word Yid. Simple.

If at Greaves, forgive me for stepping in.

We may no longer be a Jewish club by definition of the multicultural nature of our fan base, but we have been known as a Jewish club for over 100 years.

Back in the early days of Spurs, the Tottenham area had a larger than average Jewish population and therefore our fan base was similarly above average Jewish. So, historically, because of our neighbourhood, we were tagged as Jewish.

Your contention that we aren't a Jewish club holds water if you disregard the history behind the association in the first place.

Tottenham has never had a large Jewish population. Ever. Stamford Hill nearby has and traditionally the Jews from Bethnal Green and Whitechapel used to jump on the train up to WHL. Both Woolwich and Chelsea have requested not to play on Yom Kippur on various occasions throughout the years. We've never been known as a "Jewish Club". We are "perceived" as a club with a larger than average Jewish following. Which isn't true either. The whole supposition is based on legend (i.e. element of truth that has been stretched over time).

As are Glazer, Kroenke, Abramovich, Usmanov, Buck, Tenenbaum, Gold, Dein, Bernstein, Triesman and probably hundreds of other executive football administrators/owners.

Exactly, if the misguided think that the 'Yid' stuff is some kind of politically correct singalong, then let's do it properly. Let's sing 'we don't like fascists, we don't like racists, we love love all races and countries equally, blah blah'

oh wait because most of us, including me, couldn't sing that with a clear conscience.

The more I think about this subject, the more the pantomime lunacy of 'Yid Army' strikes me as absolutely hilarious. I swear next time I hear it down the pub I'm gonna burst out laughing.

I did mean the previous comment as sort of a joke, but not in the way you took it. Nothing would make me happier than anti-fascist songs ringing round WHL, but it's kind of unlikely. You seemed to take it as some sort of Daily Mail comment section sarcasm, which it wasn't.

'Politically correct singalong' isn't the same as 'you call me a Jew, so I'm Jewish and proud' and anti-fascism isn't political correctness: It's not in any way polite and, by definition, it doesn't love everyone equally. For completeness, the 'yid' as a badge of honour isn't anti-fascism either, it's just knee-jerk identity grabbing or the sake of a fight - which is fine, it's sort of what football's about - it's just a shame it's an image that needlessly insults some Jewish people, rather than one that justifibly insults the people throwing furniture through pub windows (or at least the people those people were pretending to be).

I agree with the premise but it falls down with the analogy to Spurs.

We're not a Jewish club, so there's no need for us to wear that particular mini-skirt.

It matters not.

You shouldn't argue your right to wear a miniskirt to have the right to be not raped.

It simply doesn't compute.

Nobody should decide whether you are to wear something or not or take pride in something or not. And it never ever is an explanation let alone en excuse for violence.

It matters not.

You shouldn't argue your right to wear a miniskirt to have the right to be not raped.

It simply doesn't compute.

Nobody should decide whether you are to wear something or not or take pride in something or not. And it never ever is an explanation let alone en excuse for violence.
I think Greaves' point is that because we're not really Jewish then we're not the girl in the mini-skirt

Abandon_2605fc_2546917.gif

Back
Top Bottom