Yid no more

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair comments SLR, I find the subject, as you can tell, absolutely fascinating :)

However, what's making it more than an interesting intellectual debate, is the problems this 'yid' business is causing for our club and fans.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever seen one of the orthodox Jews you see in Stmaford Hill, etc at the Lane.

I'm not saying they don't go, but they are very few and far between if they do. If they constitute more than 1% of our total attendances I'll be amazed.

Incidentally, don't let's kid ourselves about racism. I know plenty of people who give it the 'Yid Army' and they are as racist as they come. As we agree, lots of them haven't got a clue about Jewish culture, and if you caught them on a non-Spurs day, they'd quite likely go into one against the Jews.

I'm not saying we are as racist as West Ham, because I honestly don't think we are. But I will never forget coming back from the Lge Cup final in Cardiff, being trapped in a jam-packed carriage with a bunch of Spurs fans. And I have never, ever heard such a barrage of really nasty anti-black tirades in my life. And I've lived in some real hotbeds of racism.

This thread is going around in circles. Don't know how often I've read that our greatest players were not Jewish, but I'm getting pretty bored of it. Just repeating yourself will not change peoples opinions Greaves. This is one of those debates that will never end, personally if someone asks me what team I support, I say Spurs or Tottenham. Mostly the reply to this is something to do with me being a Yid, so even though I have not used this word it is associated with our club and I'm pretty sure it'll stay like that for the foreseeable future even if we as a fan base stop using it.
Well I find it incredibly boring and repetitive when people say we are a Jewish club, or we are Yids, when we're not. If you find my posts boring please stick me on ignore. I will be doing that to your good self after this post. :thumbup:

I'm not just repeating myself, I'm trying to develop a debate about our identity. As I've said more than once in this thread, please read my posts before decrying my input.

This thread is going around in circles. Don't know how often I've read that our greatest players were not Jewish, but I'm getting pretty bored of it. Just repeating yourself will not change peoples opinions Greaves. This is one of those debates that will never end, personally if someone asks me what team I support, I say Spurs or Tottenham. Mostly the reply to this is something to do with me being a Yid, so even though I have not used this word it is associated with our club and I'm pretty sure it'll stay like that for the foreseeable future even if we as a fan base stop using it.
Hardly his fault, Cripps. He's just defending a stance because he has more energy than those who agree with him.

It's interesting that of all the people against him in this thread, only one has said he's Jewish.

That's the point. Most of us aren't Jewish, so have little right to use Yid. Like white people using n*gger. Just replace non-Jewish Spurs fans chanting Yid with white hip hop fans chanting n*gger, just because some black people are OK with it. Doesn't sit comfortably, does it?

It's not only that non-Jewish people have little right to use it. It's also the fact that it offends many Jewish people, especially over a certain age. Not all, but many. I have had Jewish people who don't know about football ask me why fans at pubs and on trains are shouting Yid and that they feel threatened by it because it's been a racial slur for decades.

Confined to inside the stadium, it sounds OK. Remove it from that context and it feels uncomfortable.

Hardly his fault, Cripps. He's just defending a stance because he has more energy than those who agree with him.

It's interesting that of all the people against him in this thread, only one has said he's Jewish.

That's the point. Most of us aren't Jewish, so have little right to use Yid. Like white people using n*gger. Just replace non-Jewish Spurs fans chanting Yid with white hip hop fans chanting n*gger, just because some black people are OK with it. Doesn't sit comfortably, does it?

It's not only that non-Jewish people have little right to use it. It's also the fact that it offends many Jewish people, especially over a certain age. Not all, but many. I have had Jewish people who don't know about football ask me why fans at pubs and on trains are shouting Yid and that they feel threatened by it because it's been a racial slur for decades.

Confined to inside the stadium, it sounds OK. Remove it from that context and it feels uncomfortable.
Cheers SOS. There have been so many inappropriate analogies made in this thread. Including the black man 'whiteing up' for the National Front, the woman getting raped in a mini skirt.

The point is as you say, we are not that black man, we are not that girl in a mini-skirt, we are a lot of mainly white Protestant/Catholic/atheist (and yes in the past I've sung 'Yid Army', but no more)/agnostic/couldn't give a fuck/ people appropriating a term we're not entitled to.

Worse, most of the people singing 'Yids' have no in-depth knowledge or feeling for Jewish culture, in my experience anyway. And as I've said before plenty of them are bang upfront racists (in certain situations 'amongst their own kind' of whom I'm one, in that I go to pubs and am a white man. They feel happy to spill out all sorts of 'interesting theories and observations', in mine and our mainly white company.

And listen I'm not claiming to be holier than thou, I've got all sorts of views on immigration and the like that don't sit too well with some liberals. I just try to avoid being racist in my views.

None of this 'yid' stuff used to bother me, but when people start getting hurt, when our club's name is constantly linked with trouble, and some of that because because of a completely erroneous idea that we are a Jewish club, then I do start to get bothered.

Let's be clear, I'm not massively bothered, because at my old age, my days of going to away games, trying to avoid getting done over, are long gone. (I was never one of the fighters, but it was all around you on away days in the 70s and 80s)

But I still care massively for my club and want what's right for it.

And yes, if people want to sing 'Yid Army' I won't be trying to stop them., I've lived too long and know there's certain battles that for me anyway are best left alone.

N2tp0AH.gif

I'm Jewish - Spurs supporter for over 35 years. Always hated the Yid thing with a passion. It was a term of abuse used in the pogroms and aimed at the Lithuanian immigrants in the 1800's (from whence my distant family derive). It causes us a problem. No question.

The likes of Baddiel has the right idea but presents it in that horrible sneering arrogant manner he unfortunately has. Herbert doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

At the next 1882 game i suggest we sing
'we're not Yiddos, we're not Yiddos, we're not Yiddos any more, we're not Yiddos any more' for 90 mins.

That'll show 'em!
Who, who, who said we're Yiddos?

English till I die, I am English till I die.
I know I am, I was told I am.
I am English till I die.

I am both English and Jewish. That's a pretty ignorant post
Mate, I am fully behind everything Jewish at Spurs, I was playing along with Nutter Naylor, who is also super Spursy and was joking as well ;)

English till I die, I am English till I die.
I know I am, I was told I am. <<< Too subtle perhaps
I am English till I die.

or an admission that the debate is going round in circles and nothing new is going to be added at this point perhaps?
To me, it looks like there are two new developments to the discussion this time around.

The first is @WookieD's thesis that somehow Herbert is to blame for the violence in Rome and Lyon. Without even bothering to point out that correlation does not imply causation, I'll say that this absolutely blows my mind. Before Herbert or Baddiel or anyone spoke up (and I suspect it's Baddiel's film that got this discussion rolling again—Herbert tagged along for the ride) Nazio were Nazio. Further, Italian ultras have a history of being rough (w/o resorting to anti-Semitism as an excuse), and anti-Semitism has been on the rise in Europe over the past few years. I'd say the attack in Rome was a combination of most of the first two points, with a touch of the third, just because the people involved are scum, and they'll take any route toward antagonism. Completely speculating, I'd say Lyon was a straight copycat of Rome, with a bit of "anti-rosbif" tossed in. Maybe there's lingering resentment over how the English used to run roughshod over Europe, but, really, that was so long ago… then again, these people are scum, and scum like to give their antisocial behaviour a historical justification, so that they can boast of somehow defending tradition or patriotism or some such shit.

I've made my opinion on the SBL clear here before, so resurrect those threads if you want to have a go at them through me. Consider Herbert's claims any way you like, but to think it had some kind of ripple effect among ultras in Europe beggars belief. The idea that racist, fascist scum in Italy would take marching orders from a lawyer in England in charge of an organisation dedicated to overcoming racism simply makes no sense.

The second new kink is @Greaves_357's addition:
but when people start getting hurt, when our club's name is constantly linked with trouble, and some of that because because of a completely erroneous idea that we are a Jewish club, then I do start to get bothered.
There's a lot going on here, imo, and I do have to say that I've never heard this justification given, which is why I point it out. The word in question has been linked to violence of some sort since it found its way into the English language. And despite its origins as a word used (neutrally) within Jewish communities, no one is going to pretend that that neutral use survived the leap into the English lexicon. And even now there's no neutral way of using it. Either it's used as a slur or as a badge of pride (by Spurs fans exclusively?). So deciding that because of recent events, perhaps the word should no longer be used obscures the history of anti-Jewish violence.

The recent BBC story on Ajax as a Jewish club had its share of problems, but there was one kind of interesting thing an Ajax fan said. His understanding of why Ajax was "the Jewish club" boiled down to this (paraphrasing): "Everywhere we go, no one likes us. Rotterdam, etc. We began to feel like Jews. Unliked by everyone except ourselves. So we became the Jews." This is, obviously, completely fucked up, but I see a resonance (in reverse) in the claim above. I read Greaves's point as if to say, "hey, if we just remind everyone in Europe, 'It's cool, m8, we're not Jewish', they'll like us and won't attack us anymore!"

The "erroneous idea that we are a Jewish club" is immaterial to the fact that anti-Semitism still exists and is on the rise. In fact, maybe it's even a good thing that this erroneous idea persists, since it lures anti-Semites out of whatever awful holes they usually hide in so that they can be processed by the police. It's truly a shame that our innocent supporters are hurt in the meantime, but people are victims of hate-based violence all the time, and I don't feel that a "real Jewish person" is somehow less innocent when a victim of an anti-Semitic attack than someone who isn't Jewish but happens to support a football club that is "erroneously" linked with Judaism. An act of anti-Semitism is an act of anti-Semitism, even when, bizarrely, the target isn't Jewish.

After the attacks of September 11th, many Sikhs reported being assaulted by scum who thought that they were Muslim. Was the problem there the fact that the Sikhs were "erroneously" linked with Islam, or was the problem that there was scum out there looking for Muslims to beat up? I have a Sikh friend who was roughed up, and he spent the entire time protesting, "but I'm NOT MUSLIM!" The perpetrators obviously didn't care about that, or they didn't believe him, or whatever. But the point remains that all of the fault for the attack rests on the shoulders of that scum who assaulted him. If they weren't anti-Muslim to begin with, then no attack would have happened. Somehow imagining the scum as saying "no, wait… he's Sikh, not Muslim… we got to find a Muslim!" doesn't make things any better.

I've grown more ambivalent about the yid chanting as time has gone on. I used to like it but reading these boards put me off it. When the Society of Black Lawyers started making a fuss people on here were saying 'It's our term, it just means Spurs supporter, we'll sing what we want' I said at the time it wasn't your term if you weren't Jewish. I wasn't in either bar but it wouldn't have been the first fight I'd been in or the first kicking I'd taken for being Jewish. But look at you now, at the first sign of trouble, tripping over yourselves to disassociate yourselves from us. I though you had our backs?

Back
Top Bottom