FA Cup 3rd Rd - Middlesbrough F.C. Vs Tottenham, Sun 5th Jan.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The 2nd half had frustrating moment for sure.. but the thing with this side at the moment, is every time we lose the ball - the defenders look so nervous! The way they run back, keep glancing about, trying to make positional decisions.. their confidence is so low that any team getting a run at us are likely to score.

You only need a couple of breaks against this current Spurs side to get a goal. They need to listen to what Poch used to preach about being calm.

I have gone from being annoyed at them to feeling sorry for them now. Wouldn't call it a lack of effort or desire, and although legs might be going in the older players - plenty of immobile defenders are able to defend more competently than our lot do.

They just look so nervous, and everyone that plays against us can smell it.
Liverpool could be really difficult viewing as they are the complete opposite right now. Over confident to the point the opposition fuck it up themselves often, purely because of the aura they give off.

I don’t think that’s completely fair (although I do get your drift).

We actually controlled the midfield. I honestly can’t remember the last time we did that. Yes, it was a champo side, but we had something resembling a defence that passed the ball through midfield, and then on to the attack.

Our problem was that they recognised this, sat deep and our forwards squandered most opportunities.

Giving up those pointless areas would have seen a much more even game with them launching far more long balls at us and putting us under pressure.

We did ok.

Oh undoubtedly better today but all slow and ponderous still which is tiresome. Can't even blame jose as this had been the main pattern of play for months.

Really?

This performance from Poch, the late AVB or Redknapp and supporters would be singing for them to get sacked.

IMHO it was a shocking performance in regards of concentration (marking, doing the simple things right), fitness and sharpness.

TBH, you might well be right.

We’ve been so poor for so long, I can’t really remember.

But the last month all we’ve seen is Toby hitting long balls over the top. Today, we actually passed. On the floor. Occasionally to one another.

I’ll take it.

Certainly not the arm/shoulders thing.... They measure them as per a line being perpendicular to the view from the floor. Saw some interesting debate on the matter a few days back... Can't remember where tho', sorry.

No worries. Aren't the vertical lines to shoulders also skewed though to take into account the angles. It's all a joke tho right. Did you see grealish and his heel the other day? I think they should only look at feet for offside as this is what 99% of goals are scored with. Why look at an armpit ffs? Who ever scored with a pit?!

That last sentence is damning with faint praise.

Boro were woeful. Their best player was playing out of position due to injuries, and still was better than anything we had.

Their right winger was one of the worst player's I've seen play professionally.
You can be playing the worst team in the world, if they put everyone on the edge of their own box it makes it very difficult, not making excuses for our lack of creativity.

You can be playing the worst team in the world, if they put everyone on the edge of their own box it makes it very difficult, not making excuses for our lack of creativity.
But they didn't, there were massive holes at times, we just didn't push enough forward or made some bad decisions.

Plus, some of our players are slower on the ball than a week in jail

No worries. Aren't the vertical lines to shoulders also skewed though to take into account the angles. It's all a joke tho right. Did you see grealish and his heel the other day? I think they should only look at feet for offside as this is what 99% of goals are scored with. Why look at an armpit ffs? Who ever scored with a pit?!

As far as I understand it, you can't do that 100% accurately.

Why aren't we to blame Jose? He picks the team, he decides the formation and he should be the motivator. He's not really succeeding

Yeah. I kind of meant that this has been going on for months pre jose and that he hasn't suddenly made us rubbish. I do agree with your point though there seems to be very little New stuff happening such as decent formation and energy. Is he now an irrelevant football dinosaur I wonder?

But they didn't, there were massive holes at times, we just didn't push enough forward or made some bad decisions.

Plus, some of our players are slower on the ball than a week in jail
The tempo of our play is too slow, absolutely agree with that.
The holes Boro left were out wide. They were playing a narrow deep block, our crosses just weren’t good enough

Back
Top Bottom