Spurs v Lyon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

PSG aside, Ligue 1 isn't that great at all, and Lyon are closer to St Etienne, Marseille, Rennes and Nice than they are to PSG. UEFA rankings are not an indicator of a team's quality - Woolwich and ahead of Inter, Atletico and AC Milan, Liverpool are ahead of Man City, Metalist Kharkiv, Basel and FC Twente are all ahead of Dortmund etc.

• 01 Vercoutre
  • 05 Lovren
  • 06 Fofana Booked
  • 13 Reveillere
  • 15 Bisevac
  • 23 Umtiti Booked
  • 17 Malbranque (Grenier - 82' )
  • 21 Gonalons
  • 09 Lopez (Ghezzal - 88' )
  • 10 Lacazette
  • 18 Gomis
How many of those payers get into our first team? Gomis at a considerable push?

Of course UEFA rankings are an indicator of a team's quality - they're given in respect of how teams perform in Europe.

Lyon are a good/very good side, one of the best in Europe and we've just beaten them.

they're still no mugs though, it's a bit of a silly question regarding how many of their players would get in our side because not many of us even know those players to know if they're even any good.

While they may not be among Europe's elite, it's still a stern test and anyone expecting us to smash 3-4 goals past them needs a good slap.
Well said, except the slap bit :) I can't condone violence

Lyon are one of the best teams in Europe to beat them is an achievement.

They had a gameplan and it worked. Defend and try and get a goal on the break, they went 1 down and then brought it to us in the second half, that was the point where we needed to counter them and extend our lead but they got a spectacular goal and it was almost job done for them 1-1 an away goal to take back to France. The winner is massive for us, we would have preferred 1-0 but thats how it goes.

They need to score next week, we will have opportunities to use our pace and counter so long as Lyon do not score. Ideally we defend well and get a goal on the break so then they need 2 and we can continue to pick them off.

We have it all to do next week, going to be very tough.
It will indeed, I can't see any reason not play our strongest side, as we have a rest this weekend, and don't play west ham till Monday evening. that gives three full days to recover, even allowing for the travelling.

I hope Holtby starts.

Oh absolutely. I really can't envisage us going very far in the Europa League; could you see us beating somone like Zenit, Anzhi or Atletico over two legs?
Well Lyon are rated ten places above Zenit, I can't even find Anzi on the table so they must be well below Lyon, and Atletico are only two places above Lyon, so of course I can easily envisage us beating any of those clubs if we're good enough to beat Lyon.

Well that depends really doesn't it. We beat Manchester United over two legs this season.
Well said, this constant underrating of our team by so many of our fans baffles me. We're one of the best teams in the country, and as long as the pitch isn't horrendous and the refs fair, we're good enough to beat any team left in the competition.

Well said, this constant underrating of our team by so many of our fans baffles me. We're one of the best teams in the country, and as long as the pitch isn't horrendous and the refs fair, we're good enough to beat any team left in the competition.

I mean fair enough if we play badly, but we didn't it was a really even match, and Lyon are a good side. I could see it was a tough tie when the draw was made. And it's far from over, we still need to go there and score IMO. But we have a really good squad that is well respected by the teams we play.

I thought the lads done good last night against tough opposition, good to see steeeeeeeed back and 3 top drawer goals (theirs was a tad fortunate though). But I think we still lack the winning mentality required to beat them next week. Forget player performances last night, end of the day this is what will matter next Thursday in Lyon. Go on Bale, prove me wrong!

Back
Top Bottom