Tottenham Hotspur v Burnley (7/12/19) (3pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ELL9PuEXYAIdC-S
"Guy´s did you watch Woolwich-Brighton?"

Not sure if the following have been bigged up already (I've seen the praise for Dier, Moura and Jan, well deserved, Kane and Sonny's goes without saying) but I thought Sissoko and Toby were also outstanding today.

Even those who weren't "stellar" today - Dele, Serge, Davinson, Gazza (who had precious little to do) - all deserve our love too.

In short, YIDS
I thought Davidson was quite good, actually. Blocked that Wood chance early, very good at “simple” defending, which is what Jose wants from him. He’s looked quite good the last 5 matches.

Maybe not “steller” as you say but improving under Jose for sure.

If you look at it again you will see Dele had about 2 full seconds to pass to Son before he got poked. 2 seconds almost forever in those type of moments. It would been 3:0 right there and then game over already. Burnley could have put 1 or even 2 after being 2:0 and gotten right back to the game. I am sure everythings ok when things go well right?
Watching it back on motd, there was a chance when Son failed to pass to Dele and took the sharp angle shot. But Lucas got in with the toe poke in the end.
Later on Dele could have set him up but has a go instead, going with the "help myself" theme.

We win, score five, concede none and this thread is only 52 pages, why? Because once you get pass the pre match 'brains-trust' telling us Son and Lucas don't press, Kane should be dropped, Dier and Moussa can't play football and you get into the match itself our resident super fans (we all know who you are) had absolutely nothing to whine and whinge about ... page after page of pure joy and celebration ... what a pleasant change.

We won a game 5-0 with less than 50% possession, it's the same players but a massive tactical change from the Poch era ... Poch was very good but he wasn't Jose good, you don't win >20 trophies by being a bad manager let's hope he once again proves that.

Perhaps you could tell us how, if all these things are so "right", and all these players are way beyond reproach, never do anything wrong, all press brilliantly and are brilliant at football and whatnot, and Poch was "very good" how is it our performances and results were so fucking bad, that the last calendar year saw us have near relegation form, unable to win away since January, finding ourselves after more than a third of the season in the bottom half of the table etc etc?

Also how with Mou being "Jose good" how is it we have still been conceding two goals a game to the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth, Olympiakos and got outplayed by a very meh ManU?

Why don't you stop being a fucking dick, slinging petty insults with every post and accept that much of the criticisms are justified, and are the reasons we have been so fucking shit for such a long time, and the evidence for them is in some of the things that are now being done better, and that none of us stop supporting spurs even when we are shit, but being shit really isn't a barrel of fucking laughs.

Perry Groves commentating kept droning on and on about how awful Burnley were without giving us any credit at all

Had to listen to the salty cunt as I was driving up North

I have met Perry Groves and he truly hates Spurs..genuine contempt for us..and he's a cunt

Felt a bit like a 16/17 type game where we just steam roller teams.

Liked that we switched from the 4231 to the 442 early second half and managed to shut this one down, this is the Mourinho we want, also liked that Skipp, Sessegnon and Parrott got minutes.

Son's goal was absolutely brilliant, the sort of goal you see once a decade or something and by the Maradona's and Weah's of this world. Outstanding goal, but more than that I've been impressed by how Mourinho has got Son working better without the ball. I also loved it when he lost his shit with Alli after Alli fucked up that great 2v1 when it was still a 2-0 game. His deft through ball for Sissoko was also outstanding. All round, not just because of his goal, this was possibly his best game in a Spurs shirt, and there's been some good-uns.

I also thought Kane was looking a bit like vintage Kane today, two cracking goals, lots of hustle, that wonderful first time through ball for Sissoko which looked simple but took out three players and was perfect weight and place for Sissoko to run onto.

Last edited:
Perhaps you could tell us how, if all these things are so "right", and all these players are way beyond reproach, never do anything wrong, all press brilliantly and are brilliant at football and whatnot, and Poch was "very good" how is it our performances and results were so fucking bad, that the last calendar year saw us have near relegation form, unable to win away since January, finding ourselves after more than a third of the season in the bottom half of the table etc etc?

Also how with Mou being "Jose good" how is it we have still been conceding two goals a game to the likes of West Ham, Bournemouth, Olympiakos and got outplayed by a very meh ManU?

Why don't you stop being a fucking dick, slinging petty insults with every post and accept that much of the criticisms are justified, and are the reasons we have been so fucking shit for such a long time, and the evidence for them is in some of the things that are now being done better, and that none of us stop supporting spurs even when we are shit, but being shit really isn't a barrel of fucking laughs.

Lighten up BC. You’re coming over as bitter. You’re another who hates watching us play. Your self regard overwhelms all other considerations. It’s a shame.

Fuck off whinging you sad depressing loser your constant negativity why? - we've just won a game 5-0 and here you are complaining .... If our "performances and results were so fucking bad" that how come we've just played in the CL final for the first time ever, we've qualified for the CL four years in a row for the first time since 1960/4 .....

I put it to you that you are a clueless troll - you hate Sissoko / Dier / and whichever other player fits your mood, you have zero idea about tactics - Dier and Sissoko worst midfield pair in history - winning headers aren't important - our players don't press - in fact all you do is feckin' moan

I make no apologies at all for supporting our owners, our managers, our players and all are true fans 100%

You have no idea what "near relegation form is" not as a Spurs fan anyway, we've not been within 10 points of relegation at the end of any season this century - I put it to you that you sir are a feckin' idiot, and a very depressing one at that.

WE JUST WON 5-0 WON'T ANYTHING STOP YOUR WHINGING ??????

Fuck off whinging you sad depressing loser your constant negativity WTF - we've just won 5-0 and here you are complaining .... If our "performances and results were so fucking bad" that how come we've just played in the CL final for the first time ever, we've qualified for the CL four years in a row for the first time since 1960/4 .....

I put it to you that you are a clueless troll - you hate Sissoko / Dier / and whichever other player fits your mood, you have zero idea about tactics - Dier and Sissoko worst midfield pair in history - winning headers aren't important - our players don't press - in fact all you do is feckin' moan

I make no apologies at all for supporting our owners, our managers, our players and all are true fans 100%

You have no idea what "near relegation form is" not as a Spurs fan anyway, we've not been within 10 points of relegation at the end of any season this century - I put it to you that you sir are a feckin' idiot, and a very depressing one at that.

WE JUST WON 5-0 WON'T ANYTHING STOP YOUR WHINGING ??????

Wanker

Of course it does.

If it had been the other way round, every single Spurs fan on Earth would have been howling for a penalty. You know it
Today was a more blatant hand ball to me. Not saying I wouldn’t be howling for a penalty if the situation was flipped but it hit his armpit. If his arm did not exist then it still would have hit his body. The handball today would have travelled completely untouched if the arm was not there.

Haven’t read anything and just finished the game. My impressions.

Dominated the air and the second ball. Fast flying and scoring more goals than we used to.

Jose has installed a game that utilizes the runners we have had in our squad. Kane is officially a target man and when on form, can get the first head and send Son, Alli, or Lucas on to win the second ball.

The game plan worked today, which was nice to see. Some truly brilliant counter exchanges today. Fast and flowing,

That being said, I am not of a fan of the favored way of playing, The long ball tactic should be in your kit, but it shouldn’t be the sole way of moving the ball forward. I do want to see some more tiki taka in order to maintain tempo. We haven’t shown the true ability to manage a game played with this new style. It goes to the keeper who sends it or Toby lines one up. Then it is a race to the second ball.

Rinse repeat for large stretches of play. This way of playing is like ping pong, long furies of quick successions of play where slip seconds can change games. Today we dominated those split seconds.

One player I think Jose likes for this style is Dier. He is a big body that can win a lot of headers. He played rather well In his role because his strengths were played to. He was helping bring the ball under control and kept it simple. Yet, he still managed to look like a fool when asked to think in tight spaces. He just can’t cut it in the middle of the park for a top four team.

I really don’t know what my point is, but I guess it is that we played rather well, and we deserved the score line. Breaking at pace. It should have been 10-0. (Realistically 7-1)

I do want to see us control a game more. Slow it down. Play some fancy pants football. I think we will need to see that if we want to challenge in the future, because we will not always win that second ball.

Edit: as a caveat to the above, part of why I love and hate the way we played today is because we are leaving two players on our bench that I think allow us to have more breadth to our style. This really sours me because Ndombele could be one of the best midfielders in the world and I just don’t see him fitting into the way Jose is currently rolling the team out. He doesn’t like being a header of the ball. He isn’t going to to muscle like Sissoko and Dier will for the second ball.

Last edited:
Haven’t read anything and just finished the game. My impressions.

Dominated the air and the second ball. Fast flying and scoring more goals than we used to.

Jose has installed a game that utilizes the runners we have had in our squad. Kane is officially a target man and when on can get the first head and send Son, Alli, or Lucas on to win the second ball.

The game plan worked today, which was nice to see.

I am not of a fan of the way we play. I think it is a tactic that should be in your kit, but we solely relied on winning the second ball, which we saw last week, doesn’t work when the opposition is fighting. We were on today and it worked. But when we are not we need to be able to play some coherent Tiki Taka ball,w which is relatively non existent in our new game. Again, this is great when we win every ball, but we can’t deploy this agains the Liverpool’s and hope to win.

Dier was selected because of this style of play. He is a great body to put in there when playing Burnley. They also like the long ball which plays to Diers strengths. Battling and heading. The game was simple for him and for the most part he handled it well. When under pressure though he folded. Which is again not something we can hope to work when playing better opposition.

To end it, we played very well at what we know we are good at. Breaking at pace. It should have been 10-0.

But I do want to see us control a game more. Slow it down. Play some fancy pants football. I think we will need to see that if we want to challenge in the future, because we will not always win that second ball.

I think that what we are seeing at the moment is stone stepping exercises during the games to get morale, hunger, that fighting feeling back and as you said, it utilises our biggest assets whilst removing the weaker issues in the team.

Our CM and FB areas are an issue so simp,y put we are removing their impact on the team in order to not hinder other areas. I see what you are saying and if his is a long term thing I see it's freshness in time demonstrating issues but it's got us back to winning ways, got a vibe going, got goals flowing and apart from one dodgy result it's got us humming along again. 3 wins in our last 4 league fixtures, when was the last time a Spurs team demonstrated those numbers I wonder?

It's a building block that does the basics on a human level. Heart, passion, desire to challenge, pace, energy all of the softer things that we lacked. When belief flows you can add a few strings to it I'm sure and I really wouldn't be surprised to see that occur as the team starts seeing less games and more time focusing on the training ground. Jose spoke to sadness when he required anger. I think deep rooted issues such as that are more important at present than how we get our wins. We have a nice culture, a togetherness, now I think Jose needs to build that finishing show no mercy streak. Mindset is vital and our boys were lost, at the moment the bad taste of near on 1 years worth of awful results is slowly seeping away and once we fully commit to looking forward and not back, we'll turn the screw a fair bit as well I fancy.

Great result, a huge confidence booster and I think clever as it's deflecting from issues that we can't fix until certain players are either more settled, moved on and brought in. Buzzing with the result and it's simplicity being pulled back so the lads can remember what it's like to peacock and crow.

Last edited:
Even during our blue periods it's Love/hate Joe.

Maybe you missed my subsequent happy clap one post down
I concede I did. Apologies, but as a fellow supporter I’d love it if you enjoyed watching us play once in a while. I also concede that those opportunities have been rare birds this season and going back even further, but it pains me to see such a passionate fan reduced to fatalism. Let’s hope this new regime can put a smile on your face.

He had an OK game (certainly not fantastic).

I expect any competent footballer playing for a PL club to win headers, make tackles and pass the ball. It's the first line in the job description.

He's over six feet tall and weighs far too much, so I'd expect strength as well.

Remember this was against Burnley's journeymen who were awful today.

Dier was OK - no more.

No other complaints. A very good team performance with the goal of the season so far.
None of this makes sense to me.

Yes any PL a player does those things. Dier did so at a high rate this game. Not every PL player does that.

Yes he’s big so we should expect strength. That doesn’t mean that when he uses his strength well we shouldn’t care.

For me it’s like saying “yeah Kane’s goals were good but he has a strong shot so I’d expect it, it’s the first line in his job description”

Who cares that it was against Burnleys journeymen??? Were the rest of our team not playing against burnley? Did nobody have a good game because it’s burnleys journeyman? Was sonny’s Goal bang-average because burnley?

This whole post to me reads like “Yeah he was good but it doesn’t count”

But whatever, I guess I just don’t get it. Great match today COYS

Back
Top Bottom