Tottenham Hotspur v. Newcastle (9/2/13)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only Spurs fans could have several pages discussing who is shit or not in a winning match thread. However, here's my tuppence worth:

Dawson is a good defender, but not great. He sometimes looks really effective because he's flying in to last ditch tackles to save us. However, if he had the slightest positional sense, he wouldn't have to do that. If you want your defenders like Terry and Carragher, that's fine. I want mine to be like Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King. Never out of position, so never caught out.

BAE is by far our best LB, although I personally don't think he is any good. I firmly believe he is very often our weak link, but can't think of a better LB who would play for us. JV certainly isn't that LB and never will be. He's more of a goal threat, but not as fast, not as much of an assist threat and just not as good in that position.

Our best back four is BAE, Eunice, JV, Walker. Having the likes of Naughton, Caulker and Dawson as back up is what a top team needs, but only as backup. Dawson wouldn't get into the ManU, ManC or Chelsea teams, so why should he get into ours? I love the guy, love his passion, but he is a limited player. Nothing wrong wih that for where we are now, but we will never win the title with Dawson as a first choice CB.

It's interesting how what a player did 5 years ago sticks for so long. Daws has played a few long balls this season, yet everyone of them has been straight to a player, usually the left wing, and the sort of Hollywood pass that we used to drool over when Huddlestone played them, but Daws does the same thing and it is 'long ball'.
Also, Daws is slipping players and showing some ball skills. Not the same man that we used to criticise - this old dog is learning new tricks.
Something to think about.
For what it's worth, I don't think we can split them so easily. I think they are all extremely good defenders, and the difference between them varies with their form - sometimes one is better, sometimes another.
Gone are the days when i would look at the team sheet and groan. Pleased with all of them and fascinated at the combinations.

Only Spurs fans could have several pages discussing who is shit or not in a winning match thread. However, here's my tuppence worth:

Dawson is a good defender, but not great. He sometimes looks really effective because he's flying in to last ditch tackles to save us. However, if he had the slightest positional sense, he wouldn't have to do that. If you want your defenders like Terry and Carragher, that's fine. I want mine to be like Rio Ferdinand and Ledley King. Never out of position, so never caught out.

BAE is by far our best LB, although I personally don't think he is any good. I firmly believe he is very often our weak link, but can't think of a better LB who would play for us. JV certainly isn't that LB and never will be. He's more of a goal threat, but not as fast, not as much of an assist threat and just not as good in that position.

Our best back four is BAE, Eunice, JV, Walker. Having the likes of Naughton, Caulker and Dawson as back up is what a top team needs, but only as backup. Dawson wouldn't get into the ManU, ManC or Chelsea teams, so why should he get into ours? I love the guy, love his passion, but he is a limited player. Nothing wrong wih that for where we are now, but we will never win the title with Dawson as a first choice CB.

Nice joke :chicco:

BAE, Verts and Kaboul all better.
Fair enough, I disagree, but all about opinions.

I don't rate BAE as anywhere near as good as Daws. I'd say he's one of the worst defenders of our current regular players. JV there's an argument for, but ATM he's lost it a bit, whereas Daws is a rock.

Kaboul might prove better than Daws, we'll see what happens.

BAE and Walker wouldn't get into the Utd City and Chelsea teams, so there's nowt unique about Daws not getting in them. We've only got one player in the back 5 good enough for those three teams, that's Hugo.

Daws is an absolute cut above Walker and BAE. Fergie would have BAE out of the door in ten minutes flat, except he wouldn't let him in in the first place. No way would Fergie have put up with the undisciplined defending we've seen from Benny over the years.

JV on his current form wouldn't get in their teams either. Kaboul, as I say who knows. He's a possibility but we'll see how he plays.

Christ, over night this forum has turned in to a shit-fest or arguing. And not even normal TFC difference of valid opinion. Its like there has been an influx of new members who's opinion is so fucking stupid that I hate myself for reading it over and over.

BAE and Walker wouldn't get into the Utd City and Chelsea teams, so there's nowt unique about Daws not getting in them. We've only got one player in the back 5 good enough for those three teams, that's Hugo.

Daws is an absolute cut above Walker and BAE. Fergie would have BAE out of the door in ten minutes flat, except he wouldn't let him in in the first place. No way would Fergie have put up with the undisciplined defending we've seen from Benny over the years.

JV on his current form wouldn't get in their teams either. Kaboul, as I say who knows. He's a possibility but we'll see how he plays.

Wasn't Benny getting linked with the chavs before Cole signed a new contract? United's right back Rafael is a complete and utter liability, and City currently have a defence like a sieve. So I think we could pretty much say our defence is in good shape compared to our rivals.

Not sure how you can say how he doesn't like 3 out of the 4. Fair argument for Benny, but JV has played a lot.
Who's the third you're on about, as Walker has played most games and Kaboul has been out most of the season?

Let's just say our Belgian has been put in his place. Walker is only playing because naughton is busy with AVBs other falling out.

Let's just say our Belgian has been put in his place. Walker is only playing because naughton is busy with AVBs other falling out.

I'm not entirely sure how you can say AVB doesn't favour Walker after the amount he's played. There is no evidence of it at all.
Also, not entirely sure he's fallen out with anybody, maybe he just doesn't think a player has been performing well enough. I guess we'll never know though, as we aren't on the training ground and don't know the ins and outs of the club, as it should be.
Edit: didn't Verts play against WBA anyway?

Back
Top Bottom