UCL Matchday 5 - Olympiacos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone mention the Olympiacos fans in the home sections again last night ? In our block the first two rows to the right were majority Olympiakos fans. All celebrated the goals openly and the Stewards did fuck all again.

After Red Star they have learned nothing so it would seem

yet they’re happy enough to chuck out spurs fans for standing!

Still think he should be sold whilst we can get decent money for him. He was a mistake but it's not too late to recoup our money. He just doesn't think quickly enough for the PL. And his positioning and anticipation suffer for that reason. And then we concede. Between him and Rose, I think we currently have 2 of the worst defenders in the league.

He's not the most aesthetically pleasing specimen for sure, and I get why he doesn't appeal to some, but I think Sanchez is actually a more effective defender than his awkwardness suggests. He has superb recovery pace, and he's bloody tenacious, I just think he just lacks a bit of composure at times. I also don't think he's quite as bad on the ball as some think.

I would jettison Foyth before Sanchez personally, who is almost the reverse, a better footballer than he is a defender.

I'd really like to see Tanganga given some more time this season. He looks to be a good combination of defender/footballer to me.

Rose has never been a good defender. I wish we'd cashed in on him years ago.

He's not the most aesthetically pleasing specimen for sure, and I get why he doesn't appeal to some, but I think Sanchez is actually a more effective defender than his awkwardness suggests. He has superb recovery pace, and he's bloody tenacious, I just think he just lacks a bit of composure at times. I also don't think he's quite as bad on the ball as some think.

I would jettison Foyth before Sanchez personally, who is almost the reverse, a better footballer than he is a defender.

I'd really like to see Tanganga given some more time this season. He looks to be a good combination of defender/footballer to me.

In a couple of years Dav is gonna prove to be a mainstay that no-one wants to leave.

Foyth: Gotta be a niech for him somewhere... I'd try him at DM....

1574802603658.jpg

Bit awkward that
Unfortunately the suns not shining out of his arse any more.
:memeokay:

In a couple of years Dav is gonna prove to be a mainstay that no-one wants to leave.

Foyth: Gotta be a niech for him somewhere... I'd try him at DM....

Really hope you're right as Davinson creeps away from the protective status of 'being a young CB'.

Also see sense in Foyth getting a go at DM.
Mourinho, true to form said he wants the 2x CMs to consist of a passing and positional player.

Positional - Dier, Wanyama, Sissoko, Skipp, Foyth?
Passing - Winks, Ndombele, Eriksen, Lo Celso?

Last night we saw Dier, Winks, Eriksen, Ndombele, Sissoko all have a go in that midfield - and arguably Dele too. I'm not sure we will establish a solid pair in the middle until next season.

A lot of competition for places anyway. Not everyone will be happy with the lack of game time that presents.

- I should add.. Mourinho said after the West Ham game Sissoko didn't fit his 'positional midfielder' idea. He has come on as a 'defensive wide player' in both games. He isn't a player with much future under Mourinho here unless he changes his game - which at his age with his ability seems unlikely to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone mention the Olympiacos fans in the home sections again last night ? In our block the first two rows to the right were majority Olympiakos fans. All celebrated the goals openly and the Stewards did fuck all again.

After Red Star they have learned nothing so it would seem
One got a clump for celebrating the first goal in about row 70 of block 323 last night.
He had obviously been bought a ticket by a Spurs member mate who was with him and trying to calm the situation down.

Stewards were called and initially MOVED him down to the row we were in! Still in the middle of the south stand. I was fucking incredulous. Eventually sense prevailed and the 2 of them were removed.

Felt a bit sorry for him as he looked very much like he just didn't realise it would be a problem. But for fucks sake, after you've taken a couple of clocks to the head you'd think you would want to leave. And the stewarding should certainly have been swifter and more decisive.

Poor show all round really, from the member buying him a ticket, to the celebrating, to the "stewarding".

Lessons need to be learned.

Fucking refreshing to see a game changed by some great in game management. Eriksen for Dier was a massive gamble, I confess to thinking at the time that Ndombele or Lo Celso in midfield would have made more sense, but it proved to be immensely effective, in the next 17 minutes Eriksen saw double the ball Dier had in the first 28 (receiving the ball a pitiful 8 times) and went on to have his best game of the season.

This isn't about match fitness with Dier, many of us have been pointing this out this since his "breakout" midfield season - when the going gets ferocious, Dier fucking shrinks. Think back to the first 30 minutes against Juve in March 2018, where we also found ourselves 2-0 down. Or even the last 30 against West Ham Saturday.

The second sub was also bang on the money tactically. About 5-10 minutes before that a couple of us had pointed out how everyone's favourite pea brain, Moura - despite having just set up a goal - was constantly forgetting to track their players and leaving Aurier continually exposed on the counter - he'd been doing it all game. Mourinho had not missed this either, hauled him off (much to the apoplexy of his fan club and a bemused look from the player himself) stuck Sissoko out there as a RM and switched to a 442. They barely got a sniff the rest of the game.

One got a clump for celebrating the first goal in about row 70 of block 323 last night.

Felt a bit sorry for him as he looked very much like he just didn't realise it would be a problem. But for fucks sake, after you've taken a couple of clocks to the head you'd think you would want to leave. And the stewarding should certainly have been swifter and more decisive.

Lessons need to be learned.
Agreed. I have all sat in the home end a few times(twice at Upton park, what a joy that was...)
But i kept my gob shut.It's not rocket science.

I haven’t seen Tanganga but for me Sanchez isn’t up to it yet and not sure he ever will be.
You could say the same for Foyth
Maybe Jose can coach them to a reasonable standard but they aren’t there yet imv

I had a shit stream last night but noticed on several occasions Sanchez giving suicide passes to our midfield especially Winks when they were clearly being marked
He had other choices
back to Gazza or a long ball forward

Agreed. I have all sat in the home end a few times(twice at Upton park, what a joy that was...)
But i kept my gob shut.It's not rocket science.

Yes I sat in the Bobby Moore stand a couple of times and managed to control myself when we scored
Not easy though!!

Fucking refreshing to see a game changed by some great in game management. Eriksen for Dier was a massive gamble, I confess to thinking at the time that Ndombele or Lo Celso in midfield would have made more sense, but it proved to be immensely effective, in the next 17 minutes Eriksen saw double the ball Dier had in the first 28 (receiving the ball a pitiful 8 times) and went on to have his best game of the season.

This isn't about match fitness with Dier, many of us have been pointing this out this since his "breakout" midfield season - when the going gets ferocious, Dier fucking shrinks. Think back to the first 30 minutes against Juve in March 2018, where we also found ourselves 2-0 down. Or even the last 30 against West Ham Saturday.

The second sub was also bang on the money tactically. About 5-10 minutes before that a couple of us had pointed out how everyone's favourite pea brain, Moura - despite having just set up a goal - was constantly forgetting to track their players and leaving Aurier continually exposed on the counter - he'd been doing it all game. Mourinho had not missed this either, hauled him off (much to the apoplexy of his fan club and a bemused look from the player himself) stuck Sissoko out there as a RM and switched to a 442. They barely got a sniff the rest of the game.
You just praised Sissoko 🤯

We're all there to watch a match, don't see a problem with it to be honest...we have fans in the home end of away games all the time...it's part of the game...
I will be in the home end at United next week with my lad. Prawn sandwich section courtesy of some free corporate tickets. It says “no away colours on show” & we will respect that. But that’s the only bit we will respect. Hope they’re well stocked up on beer for the free bar & champagne for when we stuff these red twats
I don’t like having away herberts around me at WHL (or even in the pub) & assume it’s the same for most other fans. But it is part of the game as you say.
And I will enjoy every moment of lording it over the northern red scum as I sit in a private box drinking their beer and eating their canapés.

Back
Top Bottom