Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen is easy for Poch, he knows the system, knows what Poch wants, probably where all the players are going to run. He's not the player he was, but then I think the player he used to be has been on the wane for a while.
I'm not sure GLc is the guy for that role, maybe Lamela is better - but Poch knows that Eriksen is versatile, has the ability - but is bang out of form. He'll be hoping, as with Toby, Vert, rose evn, that they click into some form again soon.
My biggest criticism of Eriksen is the lack of awareness, his quickness of thought seems to have gone - he was never physical but he rarely got caught on the ball, gave it away or made a bad passing decision - that seems to happen a lot just now which can't be fatigue.
Any talk about Poch committing sabotage, by playing CE to try and get sacked is talking bollocks.

The quick thinking has escaped Dele too. He never used to get caught on the ball this much.

My assumption would be this season is a write off. 20/21 try and get back in the top 4. 21/22 consolidate and try and kick on. 22/23 challenge.

I meant as at August 19.

As for this season; to write it off at this stage would be massively defeatist imo....

I meant as at August 19.

As for this season; to write it off at this stage would be massively defeatist imo....

I don’t mean as fans. Rather Poch has gone out of his way to talk about the painful rebuild. He’s had that conversation with Levy too. I don’t see any pressure on him. Basically, he probably needs to demonstrate improvement as the season progresses, but I don’t see Top 4 being a requirement.

Next season I don’t think he’ll get away with it.

I don’t mean as fans. Rather Poch has gone out of his way to talk about the painful rebuild. He’s had that conversation with Levy too. I don’t see any pressure on him. Basically, he probably needs to demonstrate improvement as the season progresses, but I don’t see Top 4 being a requirement.

Next season I don’t think he’ll get away with it.

Neither did i.

With CL & FA cup very much still in our hands and the league still having 27 games to compete for a European slot (even if that's only transpires to be the EL), I'd be dissapointed (putting it mildly!) to hear that board, manager or players are writing our season off.

Neither did i.

With CL & FA cup very much still in our hands and the league still having 27 games to compete for a European slot (even if that's only transpires to be the EL), I'd be dissapointed (putting it mildly!) to hear that board, manager or players are writing our season off.

Agree 100%.

By write-off, I meant likely not to secure top 4.

Lo Celso has been limited to about 60 mins of sub appearances before today.

In one half he’s taken better corners, looked more dangerous and has scored.

He has to be starting ahead of Eriksen now.

Lo Celso has been limited to about 60 mins of sub appearances before today.

In one half he’s taken better corners, looked more dangerous and has scored.

He has to be starting ahead of Eriksen now.

lol fucker would score. Such a lame effort and barely celebrated.

The quick thinking has escaped Dele too. He never used to get caught on the ball this much.

I think Dele is struggling with the pressure that comes with being a senior figure at the club.

When he first came in he had nothing to lose and everything to gain and prove. He was the chasing wolf and now younger cubs are having a chase at sucking the senior teet, well you kind of get what I mean.... :pochshock2:

Those 3-4 hamstrings will also play their part. He'll be desperate not to get another and that little bit of bite can be a difference maker wihna talent like his. Time for the team to carry him a little until we see him explode.

I want somebody to ask Poch directly, what is the project for the next 5 years? What were the objectives at the start of the season? Are we going to achieve those objectives or not?

He was always very clear about top 4 being the target while the stadium project was underway, well what is the target now? Are we on track or off course? Right now the feeling is that is a “nothing” season where losing games doesn’t really seem to mean anything, what do the chairman and the manager think will be a successful season? Top 4? Top 6? Top half?

Poch was very quick to wave away all criticism of our title race failures by saying that we achieved our target of top 4, yet he’s gone very quiet on the subject this season. What are we actually playing for in the league?

Might I suggest that the assumption at the start of the season was that whilst MsnCity and Liverpool would be top 2 in the league but there were likely to be 2 places to fight for between Chelsea, Woolwich and Manau. Probably

A risk of course as we knew Chelsea had a number of youngsters that might or might not come good, but they had lost their best player in Hazard, Woolwich squad needed a big reform but they had limited money whilst MsnU had plenty of cash but needed s major squad overhaul with a roomy manager.

So the guess was that top 4 was still possible with Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon coming in, even if it was less probable than last sesson. - let's say 50/50 to get Top 4.

Think the opposition ,( especially Chelsea) have done better with their youth and haven't missed Hazard, Leicester have done much better than expected In the early season matches whilst Lo Celso injury with Argentina in about match day 5 and a drop off in performances by Eriksen, Dele Alderweireld and Vertonghen et Al has resulted in Spurs under performing.

So we are now 10 points off Top 4 but 27 games to go - so whilst we have less points than expected, it's still up for grabs as to whether we can. Outperform The teams above us to get top 4 again.

If we don't get too 4 but get EL it's not a disaster, providing we fight to get CL again in 21/22. But not getting top 4 might mean it's less easy to get some of the players we want next summer - we will still make decent profits on EL for a year but it might be £ 50m to £80m less profits which is a significant drop but not fatal to our plans.

Having a decent CL run this season ( which gives more £s) would certainly help though.

Or that's my reading of the situation.

Last edited:
I think Dele is struggling with the pressure that comes with being a senior figure at the club.

When he first came in he had nothing to lose and everything to gain and prove. He was the chasing wolf and now younger cubs are having a chase at sucking the senior teet, well you kind of get what I mean.... :pochshock2:

Those 3-4 hamstrings will also play their part. He'll be desperate not to get another and that little bit of bite can be a difference maker wihna talent like his. Time for the team to carry him a little until we see him explode.

All true.

But having 4 hamstring injuries in the last 2 or 3 seasons have certainly knocked him as well - quite possibly more than we imagine. And injuries will be playing o. His mind when he had about 6 months of not scoring a goal from Spring this year until a. Couple of weeks ago - whereas he was fit for most of his first 2 or 3 seasons at Spurs and getting circa 20 combined goals and assists in each of those seasons. So from being a key man to a passenger for 6 months or so must've hard to take mentally.

Back
Top Bottom