Would you take Mourinho?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you take Mourinho as Poch replacement?

• Yes

Votes: 114 37.3%
  • No

Votes: 124 40.5%
  • Id rather shag my granny

Votes: 76 24.8%

• Total voters
He's still in the process of pissing it away hence using the present tense. But I guess that depends on whether you think the damage has been done and the squad is shit or its still quality which is entirely subjective.
Fair enough but Xmas last year was the start of the rot, not Newcastle.

That 3-1 defeat to wolves at Wembley, the way the players died on their arse in the last 20 was the first big warning sign. Thanks to the summer 18 non window, the squad was stretched beyond reason, accelerating the need for the rebuild even further.
That's the game I always look to as the start of the reversal in form. It was at a time where, when it happened I was literally shocked that when we went a goal behind we didn’t dominate the ball. I just wasn't used to it and couldn't comprehend what was happening. Wolves were the team who looked more likely to score even at 2 and 3-1.

I can't honestly say we've done anything but go backwards from there. Certainly not domestically.

Still don't want Mourinho.

Last edited:
That's the game I always look to as the start of the reversal in form. It was at a time where, when it happened I was literally shocked that when we went a goal behind we dominate dominate the ball. I just wasn't used to it and couldn't comprehend what was happening. Wolves were the team who looked more likely to score even at 2 and 3-1.

I can't honestly say we've done anything but go backwards from there. Certainly not domestically.

Still don't want Mourinho.
At a base level the Poch style requires legs, we have lost that particularly defensively. Rose, Toby, Jan, Dier, Wanyama, have all declined physically. Davies is rusty coming back off that operation. Trippier was never a ideal fit. But his weaknesses got even more exposed as other around him suffered.

Sanchez and Foyth need to come in ASAP and I’m willing to live with the mistakes of youth.

It’s no coincidence that Sissoko is the only player with regular defensive responsibility who hasn’t suffered a dip in for, largely because he’s an incredible athlete.

At a base level the Poch style requires legs, we have lost that particularly defensively. Rose, Toby, Jan, Dier, Wanyama, have all declined physically. Davies is rusty coming back off that operation. Trippier was never a ideal fit. But his weaknesses got even more exposed as other around him suffered.

Sanchez and Foyth need to come in ASAP and I’m willing to live with the mistakes of youth.

It’s no coincidence that Sissoko is the only player with regular defensive responsibility who hasn’t suffered a dip in for, largely because he’s an incredible athlete.
I wish there was a partial agree because this isn't just fitness. That all team members - professional athletes - suddenly run out of puff at the same time in the same game after 4 months.

Not a fitness issue. A mental one. With you on Foyth and Sanchez. Skipp too.

Would anyone be worried if he took over at the scum ?

I would.:lamelashock:
Yeah I would. There's a real chance that there's a proper manager still there somewhere. But then there's the equally real possibility that he would destroy any notion of a club that wants to play good football.

Just like that little shiver at the end of a long piss.

I wish there was a partial agree because this isn't just fitness. That all team members - professional athletes - suddenly run out of puff at the same time in the same game after 4 months.

Not a fitness issue. A mental one. With you on Foyth and Sanchez. Skipp too.
I agree too, that’s why we need to freshen up the group, they’ve been together too long and those player and us need a fresh start.

Well I’m not too bothered about trophies (who’d be a Spurs fan if you were) but I do care about the style of football we play. Yes, I’m aware we’re not getting that under Poch at the moment, but I feel that appointing Mourinho would be cutting some links from our past. I also understand people want to win trophies, but, for me, not at the expense of our identity. There are the romantic reasons, but from a cold, hard nosed viewpoint, does anyone actually think Mourinho could get us playing well, with flair, on the budget he’s likely to be on? I don’t.

If Poch does go, the next appointment is likely to be an up and coming young manager - and if you’ll be happy with that, fair enough, but forget about Simeone, Allegri, Benitez, Mourinho and the rest. They won’t even get interviewed. Christ, some people were advocating Hassenhutl a few weeks ago.

I don't think anybody is particularly excited by Mourinho, he has become too sour in recent years although he is still capable of delivering trophies. They just want a manager who is tough, who will react when his team is in horrible form and not just keep doing the same things. A manager who can be ruthless and pragmatic.

The thing with "winning" managers is that they hate to lose, nothing in life is worse than losing football games to them. Wenger, Mancini, Conte, Klopp, Mou, Ferguson, Pep, Simeone, Van Gaal, the reason they have had so many rants and meltdowns over the years is because they fucking hate losing. If you looked at Poch's interviews and body language this season you'd think we were ticking over nicely in 3rd place, it's as if nothing is wrong. Eriksen and Rose are still playing, he's saying he won't make signings and that we we only "need time", it's like bizzarro world. We don't need time, we need wins. If we had one of those other managers in charge they would be foaming at the mouth.

Don't get me wrong, there are winning managers with a more Poch-like mentality and serene demeanour, like Allegri, Emery and Ancelotti, but they are much rarer. They also have trophies under their belt so nobody can question their attitude. Poch doesn't have anything under his belt and if I'm honest, takes losing matches too well. I want a manager who is a bad loser.

Poch still has this attitude of "lads, it's Tottenham" which is reflected in everything he does. "You can't compare us to Liverpool, you don't understand our project, we need time". No. We have been above Liverpool for almost every one of the last 10 seasons and just played a CL final against them. You absolutely can compare us to them and we don't need more time. The problem now is him, the other stuff stopped being true 5 years ago. Compare Liverpool's starting XI last night to the team we put out against Colchester, do not tell me we cannot compete with Liverpool, that is utter hog shit. We just have a manager who is not quite tough enough and not quite brave enough to win decisive matches.
Great Post

Would anyone be worried if he took over at the scum ?

I would.:lamelashock:

To me it would be great: I have always looked down at any club hiring him, and certainly the scum wouldn't make any exception. Trophies? There is no dignity in winning trophies under him, nor any class

We will win all the trophies available more than once without that cunt, not too soon, but we will

Well I’m not too bothered about trophies (who’d be a Spurs fan if you were) but I do care about the style of football we play. Yes, I’m aware we’re not getting that under Poch at the moment, but I feel that appointing Mourinho would be cutting some links from our past. I also understand people want to win trophies, but, for me, not at the expense of our identity. There are the romantic reasons, but from a cold, hard nosed viewpoint, does anyone actually think Mourinho could get us playing well, with flair, on the budget he’s likely to be on? I don’t.

If Poch does go, the next appointment is likely to be an up and coming young manager - and if you’ll be happy with that, fair enough, but forget about Simeone, Allegri, Benitez, Mourinho and the rest. They won’t even get interviewed. Christ, some people were advocating Hassenhutl a few weeks ago.
Great post

Back
Top Bottom