New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The new Tottenham stadium switched into NFL mode for the first time at the weekend, as it hosted the Oakland Raiders and Chicago Bears.
Spurs have a 10-year agreement with the NFL to host two regular-season games per year. However, chairman Daniel Levy would like to bring in a permanent UK franchise, playing eight home games a year.
But Tottenham do not need a full-time NFL franchise to move into its stadium to justify the £1.2 billion construction costs.

Paul Jennings, Tottenham’s technology manager, speaking at the Leaders Sport Business Summit, said:
"The club have made the investment and the stadium is capable of hosting a franchise full-time - but it can also host one or two NFL games a year. The costs of the stadium were benchmarked against that contract."
An estimated £50 million to design and install
Tom Jones, senior principal at design firm Populous, who helped build the ground, added:
"The stadium has been designed to avoid overlays. There are dedicated locker rooms for Spurs that don’t interfere with NFL players.
"The pitches and media areas are separate, so the stadium could have a full schedule of NFL and Spurs. The investment in the technology, and the reason for all of that planning, is so that the transformation time can be quick enough so that Tottenham could have a full schedule of football matches and potentially a full schedule of an NFL franchise."

It was also revealed that the stadium’s retractable pitch cost an estimated £50 million to design and install - a similar amount to the cost of the Wimbledon centre court retractable roof.
Jennings believes the club has ‘future-proofed’ the technology requirements at the stadium. He revealed the stadium has the capability to introduce 5G throughout the stadium and the technology to allow power through IT cables.
"TV technology is going that way, where you will not need a plug socket. You can power off the IT network," he said.
"Technology refreshes every 10 years or so. Wembley are thinking about stadium technology changes now. We have put the core in place."

Because it’s not spurs making more money out of it, it’s Enic, the money won’t be invested in the squad, we will get told the extra money is getting used to pay the stadium off, and there will come a time when NFL is making more money than THFC, then it’s just basic economy and football will take a back seat to the NFL
Cant. Premiership rules. In the event of groundshare, the football club must take precedence

I didn't say that did I? I am saying that it shouldn't be everything when talking about a sport, you have to have ambition to win things as well, otherwise it's just a successful and profitable business and whilst that makes sure the club never liquidates (which is a near impossibility in this day and age in the PL anyway) it certainly doesn't bring success on the pitch, unless you have examples of clubs that are run like us that have constant success on the pitch? Or have ever?

I get that some of our fanbase like to touch themselves to pictures of Levy whilst thinking about profit margins but that's not the reason I watch a competitive sport tbh, I watch it so the club that I love, that has survived through numerous owners, can actually show ambition to win trophies, which is the entire point of sports in the first place, isn't it? Or is it just "Glory hunters" that think about trophies?

Players couldn't give a fuck about the sustainability of a club or profits, they want trophies and so do managers, our supporters keep thinking we will have success whilst ignoring the basic concept of why these people play the sport in the first place, to win things, they have ambition.

Levy and ENIC have ambition as well but imo it isn't to win trophies, it's to improve the profits of the club and make us a sustainable long term business model that has a good turnover, some people think that will eventually lead to success, I would then ask, point me to a club that runs a debt free profitable business model and still wins trophies.
Why the fuck do you think people that say "we are a well run Club" are people that go around wanking into a sock and couldn't give a fuck about what happens on the pitch? Why do you and idiots always draw these lines?!!

I've supported this club since I was 6yrs old, I'm currently 51!! I love football, I'm obsessed with it and with Spurs. Never do I lie in bed and dream of our company accounts. All of my memories are about games of football and players playing.

But through my time as a supporter, I was kept awake at night thinking if my Club would even be in business when we were days away from filing for bankruptcy. During this time I don't think I thought about a single-player or game.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, that the fact we don't have to be concerned over the future of the club is err, well A FUCKING GOOD THING!! The fact I've got every confidence in how the club is run allows me to focus all of my thoughts on football, on the very thing that's my passion in life!!! I see this as a good thing!

As I'm on a roll, let's just also explore the misnomer of "ambition". Name me ONE football club that has shown more ambition than Spurs in World Football that isn't run or owned by a Sports Washing Oil State or a Sports Washing Corrupt murdering Russian Gangster?

"point me to a club that runs a debt free profitable business model and still wins trophies" You will be delighted to know that we aren't debt-free, we have debts of £466.3m, second only to Man U, so please do keep up with what is happening with the club before making comments on matters you appear to have absolutely no handle on.

Last edited:

The new Tottenham stadium switched into NFL mode for the first time at the weekend, as it hosted the Oakland Raiders and Chicago Bears.
Spurs have a 10-year agreement with the NFL to host two regular-season games per year. However, chairman Daniel Levy would like to bring in a permanent UK franchise, playing eight home games a year.
But Tottenham do not need a full-time NFL franchise to move into its stadium to justify the £1.2 billion construction costs.

Paul Jennings, Tottenham’s technology manager, speaking at the Leaders Sport Business Summit, said:
"The club have made the investment and the stadium is capable of hosting a franchise full-time - but it can also host one or two NFL games a year. The costs of the stadium were benchmarked against that contract."
Tom Jones, senior principal at design firm Populous, who helped build the ground, added:
"The stadium has been designed to avoid overlays. There are dedicated locker rooms for Spurs that don’t interfere with NFL players.
"The pitches and media areas are separate, so the stadium could have a full schedule of NFL and Spurs. The investment in the technology, and the reason for all of that planning, is so that the transformation time can be quick enough so that Tottenham could have a full schedule of football matches and potentially a full schedule of an NFL franchise."

It was also revealed that the stadium’s retractable pitch cost an estimated £50 million to design and install - a similar amount to the cost of the Wimbledon centre court retractable roof.
Jennings believes the club has ‘future-proofed’ the technology requirements at the stadium. He revealed the stadium has the capability to introduce 5G throughout the stadium and the technology to allow power through IT cables.
"TV technology is going that way, where you will not need a plug socket. You can power off the IT network," he said.
"Technology refreshes every 10 years or so. Wembley are thinking about stadium technology changes now. We have put the core in place."

Awesome! Now we can have twice the number of paying customers watching a sequence of set pieces validated by an "informed" robot. Yay!

I feel a hypocrite here because I sold my soul to the revenue = wages = better players. Well, I am a capitalist, not by design, but by the lack of a practical alternative. Go figure.

The club have made the investment and the stadium is capable of hosting a franchise full-time - but it can also host one or two NFL games a year. The costs of the stadium were benchmarked against that contract."

Well there we have it, from the horses mouth. The cost of the NFL additions is covered by the ten year contract which might be one or two games a year so:

retractable pitch = £50m
+ NFL changing rooms
+ Larger underground parking
+ NFL media only area

has to be £60m+ we need to recoup

that means each game is worth a minimum of £3m net if we play two games a season but £6m if we're only playing one.

No way is Levy is gambling that investment without having something concrete inplace to cover the initial outlay.

Well there we have it, from the horses mouth. The cost of the NFL additions is covered by the ten year contract which might be one or two games a year so:

retractable pitch = £50m
+ NFL changing rooms
+ Larger underground parking
+ NFL media only area

has to be £60m+ we need to recoup

that means each game is worth a minimum of £3m net if we play two games a season but £6m if we're only playing one.

No way is Levy is gambling that investment without having something concrete inplace to cover the initial outlay.

So my original guess of 1-2m a game wasnt a million miles away after all eh?

I reckon all in, with a nfl team sharing. We would bring in an extra 40m a year through various revenue streams.

Not mega money, but worth the hassle if it helps make the stadium viable.

Actually, forecasting is what I do for a living. And generally speaking, you can get pretty close with fag packet calc as long as you make the right assumptions.

So let me get this straight. You say bad deals cripple businesses and good deals make them flourish? Well I never. Im awarding you the nobel prize for business.

You wont put your figures down, because you havent a fucking clue. And would prefer to hide begind global reach, marketing, brand building, engaging with fans, worth its weight in gold and all the other wishy washy crap. Let me guess, you work in marketing? Or probably sales due to the amount of shit you talk.

no shit sherlock, doesn't matter what you write it on if the figures are correct it's going to stack up, if that's how you wanna work you would never get a job at my company.

I said i've seen badly negotiated 'broadcast' deals cripple a business... not every bad business decision has the ability to destroy it.

I do have a clue but unlike you I have to back my figures up with research and case studies... it's just the way professionals expect things to be done. I just don't have the time and can't be arsed for this.

I'm bored of this now. I know my job, the figures are in the public domain. I believe we will net 4-6m per game and you think it will be 1-2m max. Lets leave this to settle until the figures are released at some point.

no shit sherlock, doesn't matter what you write it on if the figures are correct it's going to stack up, if that's how you wanna work you would never get a job at my company.

I said i've seen badly negotiated 'broadcast' deals cripple a business... not every bad business decision has the ability to destroy it.

I do have a clue but unlike you I have to back my figures up with research and case studies... it's just the way professionals expect things to be done. I just don't have the time and can't be arsed for this.

I'm bored of this now. I know my job, the figures are in the public domain. I believe we will net 4-6m per game and you think it will be 1-2m max. Lets leave this to settle until the figures are released at some point.

For a start you are talking about revenue and i was talking profit.

Even then your figures are too high. I reckon the game brings in a 6m a time. That has to be split between spurs, the nfl and the teams. They arnt coming over hear for free. For spurs to trouser 4 to 6m of that is wishful thinking. Of that 6m. 1-2m as profit for spurs is a pretty sensible guess.

My opinion, is this is more of a marketing ploy to get follow on success with Tottenham specific commercial deals. rather than the matchday income for nfl.

As for working on a fag packet. This is a message board not a company. We use real financial models at work thanks.

Why would h
Possibly the number one reason we are still calling it the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

How many tens of millions of Americans would have watched that game at home in the USoA on Sunday and had Tottenham Hotspur said to them over and over and over. They're now a fan and they haven't even realised it yet.

My Americans kept saying "Totten-HAM" t

Possibly the number one reason we are still calling it the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

How many tens of millions of Americans would have watched that game at home in the USoA on Sunday and had Tottenham Hotspur said to them over and over and over. They're now a fan and they haven't even realised it yet.

My Americans kept saying "Totten-HAM" though.
why would hearing the name Tottenham Hotspur Stadium make a usually 'thick' American football fan become a Spurs fan. Do they support stadiums over there?

Why the fuck do you think people that say "we are a well run Club" are people that go around wanking into a sock and couldn't give a fuck about what happens on the pitch? Why do you and idiots always draw these lines?!!

I've supported this club since I was 6yrs old, I'm currently 51!! I love football, I'm obsessed with it and with Spurs. Never do I lie in bed and dream of our company accounts. All of my memories are about games of football and players playing.

But through my time as a supporter, I was kept awake at night thinking if my Club would even be in business when we were days away from filing for bankruptcy. During this time I don't think I thought about a single-player or game.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, that the fact we don't have to be concerned over the future of the club is err, well A FUCKING GOOD THING!! The fact I've got every confidence in how the club is run allows me to focus all of my thoughts on football, on the very thing that's my passion in life!!! I see this as a good thing!

As I'm on a roll, let's just also explore the misnomer of "ambition". Name me ONE football club that has shown more ambition than Spurs in World Football that isn't run or owned by a Sports Washing Oil State or a Sports Washing Corrupt murdering Russian Gangster?

"point me to a club that runs a debt free profitable business model and still wins trophies" You will be delighted to know that we aren't debt-free, we have debts of £466.3, second only to Man U, so please do keep up with what is happening with the club before making comments on matters you appear to have absolutely no handle on.

I am not the one drawing the lines here, we haven't won a trophy in nearly 12 years, isn't this proof that ENIC and their model isn't one that focuses on winning trophies?

People who are happy with our current model clearly must be happy with the lack of silverware otherwise they wouldn't support it, either that or they believe that by continuing with our current model it will eventually lead to Silverware which seems very optimistic I must say, especially given how ENIC have continually shown they have no interest in showing ambition where it matters, winning trophies and refreshing the squad when needed.

We are the only club out of the "top six" that hasn't won a trophy in that time period, you are aware of that, right?

The people drawing the lines here are the ones saying "If you don't support what ENIC are doing you must be an idiot, we have never had it so good! I don't want us to do a leeds!" etc, treating our owners like gods and putting them ahead of the club itself, that's what frustrates me, it's like some of our supporters have been utterly brainwashed by them just because of how shit things were before.

I went through the exact same period you did as a supporter, the past is the past Guido, it's not the present, don't you think it's fucking time our owners actually focused on what's important? Having a new stadium and great facilities is amazing, don't get me wrong but what does that have to do with football? What does it have to do with actually winning things?

I also feel good that the club is secure for the future but mate, we have a very short time on this planet and at this rate we will not be winning anything anytime soon, I couldn't give a fuck about the stadium if I am quite honest, it's lovely big and shiny, it looks great but if you offered me a choice between staying at the old lane and winning trophies or a brand new stadium and top four, I know which one I am picking, maybe that's just me.

And before you say "without the new stadium we could never invest and make the team better in the future" ok, well when that starts happening, I will start agreeing, until then, it's contributed nothing.

You also say it allows you time to focus on the football, remind me, how is the football going currently? How have our owners been doing in the previous windows supporting our manager and refreshing our squad? Oh wait, they haven't.

You really don't take the time to read what I say do you?

I didn't say we were debt free currently, I said the goal for ENIC IS to be debt free and run a profitable club, by doing so we will not be showing ambition to win trophies anytime soon because their isn't a single example of a club that has done this, every club that has won trophies at a major level have spent ludicrous amounts of money on the squad and playing staff or if they haven't spent ludicrous amounts, their main focus has been investment on the squad and that alone (outside of incidents like the Leicester City title win.)

I am not the one drawing the lines here, we haven't won a trophy in nearly 12 years, isn't this proof that ENIC and their model isn't one that focuses on winning trophies?

People who are happy with our current model clearly must be happy with the lack of silverware otherwise they wouldn't support it, either that or they believe that by continuing with our current model it will eventually lead to Silverware which seems very optimistic I must say, especially given how ENIC have continually shown they have no interest in showing ambition where it matters, winning trophies and refreshing the squad when needed.

We are the only club out of the "top six" that hasn't won a trophy in that time period, you are aware of that, right?

The people drawing the lines here are the ones saying "If you don't support what ENIC are doing you must be an idiot, we have never had it so good! I don't want us to do a leeds!" etc, treating our owners like gods and putting them ahead of the club itself, that's what frustrates me, it's like some of our supporters have been utterly brainwashed by them just because of how shit things were before.

I went through the exact same period you did as a supporter, the past is the past Guido, it's not the present, don't you think it's fucking time our owners actually focused on what's important? Having a new stadium and great facilities is amazing, don't get me wrong but what does that have to do with football? What does it have to do with actually winning things?

I also feel good that the club is secure for the future but mate, we have a very short time on this planet and at this rate we will not be winning anything anytime soon, I couldn't give a fuck about the stadium if I am quite honest, it's lovely big and shiny, it looks great but if you offered me a choice between staying at the old lane and winning trophies or a brand new stadium and top four, I know which one I am picking, maybe that's just me.

And before you say "without the new stadium we could never invest and make the team better in the future" ok, well when that starts happening, I will start agreeing, until then, it's contributed nothing.

You also say it allows you time to focus on the football, remind me, how is the football going currently? How have our owners been doing in the previous windows supporting our manager and refreshing our squad? Oh wait, they haven't.

I didn't say we were debt free currently, I said the goal for ENIC IS to be debt free and run a profitable club, by doing so we will not be showing ambition to win trophies anytime soon because their isn't a single example of a club that has done this, every club that has won trophies at a major level have spent ludicrous amounts of money on the squad and playing staff or if they haven't spent ludicrous amounts, their main focus has been investment on the squad and that alone (outside of incidents like the Leicester City title win.)

Bit simplistic to say weve won no trophies so ENIC are shite

Its disappointing, but we were so shit from the sugar years that its taken ages to be able to compete.

Not only that. we only seem to bother trying to win the league or cl.

Cos take that are shite?

ADELE, dammit
Oy!!!!! You might not like them but Take That are brilliant live, pure entertainment. Put it this way, I don't come out of one of their concerts feeling disappointed with their performance!! Suppose that's the difference between being a fan and a supporter, with Spurs I keep going back for more punishment.

Oy!!!!! You might not like them but Take That are brilliant live, pure entertainment. Put it this way, I don't come out of one of their concerts feeling disappointed with their performance!! Suppose that's the difference between being a fan and a supporter, with Spurs I keep going back for more punishment.
Easy Tiger.

Someone ruffled your fur and none of us like it. Retract the claws please. :dierpochhug:

If you follow a team because of trophies then you are following the wrong club! You have the pick of a handful if that is why you follow football and even better when one of them goes off the boil you can always flip over to another. I don't follow Spurs or football because of trophies, I barely give them a 2nd thought to be honest, only when we play in a competition do I entertain a thought but really that would also not be serious until the quarter-finals and beyond.

"haven't won a trophy for 12yrs" I fucking hate this line, we were fucking SHIT 12yrs ago, absolutely SHIT. Not got to the magical 40point mark until a few games before the end of the season. Football is totally and utterly dominated by teams better than us, who earn more money than us, it's all been said a thousand times before in here, but us Wimbledon & Wigan are the only clubs to have won the FA Cup in 33 YEARS who are not the traditional big four!! Just that fucking stat alone will tell you all you need to know that for us (any club) to win the FA Cup you have to be in the top four! Guess what, we are now in that company that is now us! The only time we used to win an FA Cup was when football wasn't dominated as much by a top-four as it is now. It's not the 1960's/70's/80's anymore mate, football is a boring predictable beast, EVERY stat proves that to be so.

You drew the lines mate, go read you own fucking post again:
I get that some of our fanbase like to touch themselves to pictures of Levy whilst thinking about profit margins but that's not the reason I watch a competitive sport tbh, I watch it so the club that I love, that has survived through numerous owners, can actually show ambition to win trophies, which is the entire point of sports in the first place, isn't it? Or is it just "Glory hunters" that think about trophies?

This is the most sustained period of performance we have ever had in the 45yrs I've been supporting this club!! I am fucking loving finishing in the top three in the league, getting to finals and semi-finals year after year!!! My feet haven't touched the floor, I'm floating on air, I've never been more proud.

You on the other hand just can't take it, you absolutely hate it, you dream of turning back time to 1991 when we finished 10th and 2008 when we finished 11th!!! WE WERE FUCKING SHIT. What the fuck has losing the CL final got to do with Levy? What the fuck has losing 2 FA Cup semi-finals got to do with Levy? What the fuck has losing a League cup semi-final and Final got to do with Levy? Does he pick the team, choose the tactics, ask the players to run around a bit???

You seem to think we were financially similar close to the 5 clubs above us but the reality was we were closer to Chrystal Palace financially than we were Woolwich in (5th)!! Since enjoying a bigger stadium (Wembley) we caught up with them financially, our next set of accounts might show us actually ahead of them!!! If you can't see what having our own +60k Stadium does to our bottom line then don't waste my time with this conversation and get yourself a calculator and learn how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom