New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For a start you are talking about revenue and i was talking profit.

Even then your figures are too high. I reckon the game brings in a 6m a time. That has to be split between spurs, the nfl and the teams. They arnt coming over hear for free. For spurs to trouser 4 to 6m of that is wishful thinking. Of that 6m. 1-2m as profit for spurs is a pretty sensible guess.

My opinion, is this is more of a marketing ploy to get follow on success with Tottenham specific commercial deals. rather than the matchday income for nfl.

As for working on a fag packet. This is a message board not a company. We use real financial models at work thanks.

My original point was the value of the games to us are worth much more than £1-2m you stated in match receipts. I said the global exposure and commercial deals would eclipse the gate fee and that Man U aren't the machine they are due to gate receipts, to which you said I was some sales or marketing muppet as I don't have the figures to hand.

You boasted that your forecasts done on the back of a fag packet were often close and accurate, your words not mine... I personally think working out the value with so many variables is very complex. I've been invloved in long protracted deals around hosting, ticketing and broadcasting international sporting events - that's my experience.

Levy would have paid a consultancy to work out the value this exposure will bring to the brand and this will determine his decision.

Like I said... a report will come out in the next year or so as to the real value the NFL link brings, personally, based in the stuff i'm involved with I believe it's massive.

No bad feelings, have a good evening dude. Just don't tell me i'm FOS when it's my bread and butter...

The new Tottenham stadium switched into NFL mode for the first time at the weekend, as it hosted the Oakland Raiders and Chicago Bears.
Spurs have a 10-year agreement with the NFL to host two regular-season games per year. However, chairman Daniel Levy would like to bring in a permanent UK franchise, playing eight home games a year.
But Tottenham do not need a full-time NFL franchise to move into its stadium to justify the £1.2 billion construction costs.

Paul Jennings, Tottenham’s technology manager, speaking at the Leaders Sport Business Summit, said:
"The club have made the investment and the stadium is capable of hosting a franchise full-time - but it can also host one or two NFL games a year. The costs of the stadium were benchmarked against that contract."
An estimated £50 million to design and install
Tom Jones, senior principal at design firm Populous, who helped build the ground, added:
"The stadium has been designed to avoid overlays. There are dedicated locker rooms for Spurs that don’t interfere with NFL players.
"The pitches and media areas are separate, so the stadium could have a full schedule of NFL and Spurs. The investment in the technology, and the reason for all of that planning, is so that the transformation time can be quick enough so that Tottenham could have a full schedule of football matches and potentially a full schedule of an NFL franchise."

It was also revealed that the stadium’s retractable pitch cost an estimated £50 million to design and install - a similar amount to the cost of the Wimbledon centre court retractable roof.
Jennings believes the club has ‘future-proofed’ the technology requirements at the stadium. He revealed the stadium has the capability to introduce 5G throughout the stadium and the technology to allow power through IT cables.
"TV technology is going that way, where you will not need a plug socket. You can power off the IT network," he said.
"Technology refreshes every 10 years or so. Wembley are thinking about stadium technology changes now. We have put the core in place."

Only 1.67 Sissokos? Bargain.

If you follow a team because of trophies then you are following the wrong club!

it's all been said a thousand times before in here, but us Wimbledon & Wigan are the only clubs to have won the FA Cup in 33 YEARS who are not the traditional big four!!

Just that fucking stat alone will tell you all you need to know that for us (any club) to win the FA Cup you have to be in the top four!

We are a club who plaster all over our ground the whole Bill Nick myth and legend. The game is about glory.... we have set out sights high etc etc.
I think we can expect glory glory nights no? It’s our history. It’s why we are Spurs. Isn’t it???

FA cup. The thousands of times people who have said it - well they are very wrong.

Right now it’s 2019. So let’s say 33 years ago was 1986 -87. Coventry won it. I remember that clearly for some reason!!
1995 Everton won it.
2008 Portsmouth won it.
2017 Woolwich won it. They finished 5th!!

And we have finished in the top 4 now quite a few times and never won it! Surely we should have won it by now!! That’s a joke btw :)

I’m playing devils advocate because I think the club really plays on the whole glory glory thing. And it’s laughable in the way the West Ham 66 club is because the reality is we are more Profit Profit than glory glory these days tbh.
I’m not living in the past that’s for sure.

(And Bill Nicholson had spurs as the big spenders of the day as Norman Giller will testify all day long).

Like you say. We’re not in it to win things. Spurs supporters expect to win nothing now. The opposite of Liverpool fans who think they will win everything.

Last season was more luck than design for us, more design than luck for the Scousers.
As is being proven right now.

We are a club who plaster all over our ground the whole Bill Nick myth and legend. The game is about glory.... we have set out sights high etc etc.
I think we can expect glory glory nights no? It’s our history. It’s why we are Spurs. Isn’t it???

FA cup. The thousands of times people who have said it - well they are very wrong.

Right now it’s 2019. So let’s say 33 years ago was 1986 -87. Coventry won it. I remember that clearly for some reason!!
1995 Everton won it.
2008 Portsmouth won it.

And we have finished in the top 4 now quite a few times and never won it! Surely we should have won it by now!! That’s a joke btw :)

I’m playing devils advocate because I think the club really plays on the whole glory glory thing. And it’s laughable in the way the West Ham 66 club is because the reality is we are more Profit Profit than glory glory these days tbh.

(And Bill Nicholson had spurs as the big spenders of the day as Norman Giller will testify all day long).

Like you say. We’re not in it to win things. Spurs supporters expect to win nothing now. The opposite of Liverpool fans who think they will win everything.

Last season was more luck than design for us, more design than luck for the Scousers.
Bill Nic never came out with that quote until he had won something before then he was shtum, wise man don't you think? I also think we right now are the very epitome of that quote, a Club that's outperforming all the moneyed Clubs (currently at a high of 10th richest in Europe, having never won it and only ever qualifying to compete for it 5 times in our history, getting to the Champions League Final but failing to win it. If losing a CL Final doesn't have an echo of Glory, whilst failing to win the biggest Club Cup Competition in the world then what the fuck does?).

"Glory, Glory Nights" Well that came about from a "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah" First sung in 1961 in the 2nd leg FIRST round match against Gornik, not a Cup Final but our first-ever European game played at the Lane, not really "Glory" in the sense that you are referencing it to but in fact a song is sung in jest and retaliation to the press saying we were no Angles in the first leg. So NOTHING to do with winning anything, that's the history.

I don't think we were lucky last year, I think we deserved to get to the final, I also think we deserved to win it, I thought we were the better of the two poor quality teams on the night. I think we were very unlucky to have only 1 point after however many games it was. The ONLY side that outplayed us in that entire run was Barca at Wembley. Liverpool was lucky that the pen (which clearly came off Sissoko's chest before hitting his arm) wasn't reviewed by VAR.

Bill Nic never came out with that quote until he had won something before then he was shtum, wise man don't you think? I also think we right now are the very epitome of that quote, a Club that's outperforming all the moneyed Clubs (currently at a high of 10th richest in Europe, having never won it and only ever qualifying to compete for it 5 times in our history, getting to the Champions League Final but failing to win it. If losing a CL Final doesn't have an echo of Glory, whilst failing to win the biggest Club Cup Competition in the world then what the fuck does?).

"Glory, Glory Nights" Well that came about from a "Glory, Glory, Hallelujah" First sung in 1961 in the 2nd leg FIRST round match against Gornik, not a Cup Final but our first-ever European game played at the Lane, not really "Glory" in the sense that you are referencing it to but in fact a song is sung in jest and retaliation to the press saying we were no Angles in the first leg. So NOTHING to do with winning anything, that's the history.

I don't think we were lucky last year, I think we deserved to get to the final, I also think we deserved to win it, I thought we were the better of the two poor quality teams on the night. I think we were very unlucky to have only 1 point after however many games it was. The ONLY side that outplayed us in that entire run was Barca at Wembley. Liverpool was lucky that the pen (which clearly came off Sissoko's chest before hitting his arm) wasn't reviewed by VAR.

This is why I love your posts Guido.

Some great facts. Argue your points well. Take your time to explain rather than just throwing an X on there.

Top man.

I personally think a lot of supporters get drawn to trophies. I grew up in the 80s. In Hertfordshire. Guess how many Liverpool fans I know.

Right now we are doing very well. But IMHO we could have done better.
Trophies would have been their in the history books for eternity.

From here history would say we are either going to drop off and away from this peak, or enter a cycle where we again have young potential. Interesting times and one the board will have the most say in. Investment in players becomes key again. Well good investment.

And maybe this batch of players has installed a higher mentality within the club than we have had before, lets see.

Ultimately the squad was good enough and had the chances, to win the league, cups and yes the CL. So maybe you are right. Our failures will have an echo of glory. The big man was spot on with his saying.

And the Glory glory nights.......
Personally I think the club and the imagery they use around the stadium and those nights reflects our heritage of winning trophies more than a first round match against Gornik or the games we lost.
But will start to look out for those photos!

This is why I love your posts Guido.

Some great facts. Argue your points well. Take your time to explain rather than just throwing an X on there.

Top man.

I personally think a lot of supporters get drawn to trophies. I grew up in the 80s. In Hertfordshire. Guess how many Liverpool fans I know.

Right now we are doing very well. But IMHO we could have done better.
Trophies would have been their in the history books for eternity.

From here history would say we are either going to drop off and away from this peak, or enter a cycle where we again have young potential. Interesting times and one the board will have the most say in. Investment in players becomes key again. Well good investment.

And maybe this batch of players has installed a higher mentality within the club than we have had before, lets see.

Ultimately the squad was good enough and had the chances, to win the league, cups and yes the CL. So maybe you are right. Our failures will have an echo of glory. The big man was spot on with his saying.

And the Glory glory nights.......
Personally I think the club and the imagery they use around the stadium and those nights reflects our heritage of winning trophies more than a first round match against Gornik or the games we lost.
But will start to look out for those photos!
Greta’s a Yid!!!

EGHwtLUWsAAy7UP

why would hearing the name Tottenham Hotspur Stadium make a usually 'thick' American football fan become a Spurs fan. Do they support stadiums over there?

Nike stadium doesn't make them question who plays there. In fact, a lot of Americans are anti Nike

Getting the team name in print, soundbite etc over there as much as possible is big.
The more Americans that click stories about THFC the more news it generates. Look at how much shit we have to read about United every day. They're a big deal so outlets keep talking about them to "sell" news.

We need a peice of that action. That will result in bigger sponsorships and incomes.

1995 Everton won it.
2008 Portsmouth won it.

Y, y, you do know we've won the FA Cup EIGHT times, right?
You do realise that we've won it IN your time line, right?

I agree it's been an inappropriate amount of time since we won it, but let's not over sentationalise things.

Y, y, you do know we've won the FA Cup EIGHT times, right?
You do realise that we've won it IN your time line, right?

I agree it's been an inappropriate amount of time since we won it, but let's not over sentationalise things.

lol. Someone else had pointed out in 33 years we have been one of the few to win an FA cup. I don’t think I’m going over the top. We win nothing these days!

My own words

“I’m not living in the past that’s for sure”.

Carry on celebrating our 8. And yeah I can remember when we had won it the most of all clubs.

It was the phrase "yet we've never won it"

We've won it more times than all the teams you've mentioned. Everton have won 9 league titles to our 2, yet they haven't won the FA Cup in 24 years to our 28. Who is failing? We've won the league cup twice since they won the FA Cup and they have won absolutely nothing in that time. I don't believe they have even had a final of any sort to lose in, let alone a Championd League final?

Back
Top Bottom