Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I really want him to succeed but he really needs to step up offense

He needs to believe that he can change a game more. Simply put he needs to feel like he adds more than just allowing others to play their game. If that comes from Poch or from Harry himself I'm not so sure but if the pass into danger is on, look for it and do it. Simp,y put he needs to pull a few more attacking strings, even if his passes complete percentage goes down. He looks pretty but I want fire

I get that Winks isn’t Modric or Pirlo, and he isn’t Kante either. In my ideal team he’s probably on the bench too, I see more potential to be something special in Skipp.

But I think some of criticism of him is way over the top. All this only passes sideways bollocks - he passed it forwards 74 times today, that’s possibly some kind record, it’s certainly more than I’ve seen from a Spurs player (not inc defenders) in recent memory.

Yea, well... would you say that he had a good game then? Or maybe even brilliant. Because that is record and... all that?!?

I mean playing pass 1m closer to oppo goal and 5m to one or other side counts as "forward pass" as well. But it did nothing to make our game threatening, which we all saw with our naked eye.

I agree ofc that he was not the only or even main one to blame. Lamela; fullbacks and Sissoko were more of an issue for sure.

This lad is quality, needs better around him but he already looks like one of the most competent players we've ever had ... maybe not Mr Exciting but becoming Mr Consistent

Numbers don't paint the whole story but they give an idea, today under a lot of pressure 92% pass success, that compares to Xhaka 87% Guendozi 83% Torreira 85% and he completed more forward passes than any of them, he made more tackles (6) than any other player on the pitch, he managed 2 KP's as many as Eriksen and more than all the rest of our line up, and he got to the by-line destroying Niles to play the ball to Son for the penalty .... my MoM by a long way

This lad is quality, needs better around him but he already looks like one of the most competent players we've ever had ... maybe not Mr Exciting but becoming Mr Consistent

Numbers don't paint the whole story but they give an idea, today under a lot of pressure 92% pass success, that compares to Xhaka 87% Guendozi 83% Torreira 85% and he completed more forward passes than any of them, he made more tackles (6) than any other player on the pitch, he managed 2 KP's as many as Eriksen and more than all the rest of our line up, and he got to the by-line destroying Niles to play the ball to Son for the penalty .... my MoM by a long way

Son played well too with his running but MoM wasn't even close for me. Winks was everywhere and contributed at crucial times at both ends.

The set up for the penalty sums him up. First the tenacity and aggression to beat the Arse player to the ball. Then showed some great technical ability to beat his man in a tight corner before picking his head up and finding the right pass and playing it. How many times have our full backs been in that position and then hit an opposition defender with their final ball?

If we can get Wink and Ndombele playing together, that position looks strong once again. The only issue is probably the midfield depth. Skipp looks promising but still untested, Sissoko is hit and miss and I'm not sure whether Dier is still alive at this point.

With Eriksen here until Jan at least, and Lo Celso looking quite sharp in the last couple of introductions, the gloom seems to have lifted slightly If Foyth can come back and put in some good performances at right back and be good enough to make that spot his own, I think we can win the battle for 3rd and hopefully add a trophy somewhere to boot.

Just as a matter of interest would you have the stats on possession per half of the match please ? I seem to recall seeing something on screen that during the second half the ball had been 60% in our half 39% in the middle of the pitch and only 1% in theirs. Can't remember how much time had been played though. Just interested to know.... cheers.

He let gangudzi all the room he want in their second goal .
and he offer what in attack ? if we keep our midfield sisso and winks we will suffer as we suffer for 16 games now in the league ...

I LOVE THE KID but maybe not as good as we hoped for , its my opinion so do not kill me

Winks had his best game for us this season. Another player that has to play himself into form. There is foundation to build on here, that's for sure.

Usually I come in here thinking he had a great game and people reckon he was poor, today I thought he was below par and people are saying he was one of our best! Game of opinions I guess

He has the ability to change a game but I’m not sure he believes that at the moment or that it’s his responsibility, he’s strong and controlled, would like to see him having a few longer runs and more shots on goal. Technically he is very good, I’m sure some shots would go in or cause a rebound.

Didn't really notice him yesterday - in the way you never noticed Makelele or Kante!

Has a bit more work to do to be in that sort of company, but really encouraging. The pairing of him and Ndombele, and if Eriksen stays, will rejuvenate our midfield.

Looking at our fixture list at the start of the season, who wouldn't have taken a point away to City and Woolwich?

Two weeks now to get everyone fit.

Lloris MoM yesterday (in my view)

Winks was superb yesterday.

Those types of games are where he really shows his class, just like those games in the Champions League the past few seasons. Up against a fairly decent side that will attack us he breaks up play and helps control the game.

It's the games against lower quality opposition that I sometimes question his involvement ie Newcastle. When a team sits back he doesn't have a massive amount to do and isn't the kind of player to make an incisive through ball.

I don't get the praises .. really what did he do ?
Can't control noting never an option in atteck
Not pressing like a maniac just the occasion good slide good tackle .

People compere him to makelele ? Ok people are hopeful I got it I use to hope that but not anymore .

We are bad and I think we become bad as soon as he and sisoko pairing got introduce

I don't get the praises .. really what did he do ?
Can't control noting never an option in atteck
Not pressing like a maniac just the occasion good slide good tackle .

People compere him to makelele ? Ok people are hopeful I got it I use to hope that but not anymore .

We are bad and I think we become bad as soon as he and sisoko pairing got introduce
Pashun

Personally I liked his performance because it seemed like he was the only one who matched arsenals intensity and looked like he wanted to win as much as their players

Other than that I thought he was about as good as usual, tidy and safe but one or two good forward runs

Back
Top Bottom