Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And whilst I'm here defending my dad Poch let me add

Some of the shit I'm reading from you guys is so stupid

"Poch has bad in game management"

Oh really? So us being the team who recovered most points from losing positions in the league? Our CL final run being littered with comebacks? The shifting from 3 CBs to 2, inclusion of a target man, dozen formations etc all utilised for said comebacks? Get some perspective ffs. His in game management is pretty fucking effective actually.

And about that City away game.

Jose had literally had many games like that hailed as tactical masterclasses. Literally the same, poor xG, bit of luck, extremely clinical etc. Media lapped it up. Proximity bias just won't let some people acknowledge it because it's little old familiar Poch who probably fluked it as we can only play one way apparently.

And whilst I'm here defending my dad Poch let me add

Some of the shit I'm reading from you guys is so stupid

"Poch has bad in game management"

Oh really? So us being the team who recovered most points from losing positions in the league? Our CL final run being littered with comebacks? The shifting from 3 CBs to 2, inclusion of a target man, dozen formations etc all utilised for said comebacks? Get some perspective ffs. His in game management is pretty fucking effective actually.

And about that City away game.

Jose had literally had many games like that hailed as tactical masterclasses. Literally the same, poor xG, bit of luck, extremely clinical etc. Media lapped it up. Proximity bias just won't let some people acknowledge it because it's little old familiar Poch who probably fluked it as we can only play one way apparently.
Funny you should say that, I described the performance as “Mourinho esque” in the match thread and thought exactly the same thing.

If we are up against a team that our classes us in almost every department. I don’t mind the odd Mourinho like tactics from Poch. Look how many trophies that guy won, and what Poch has done so far to change the mentality in big games hasn’t worked so if this does I’m all for it.

As long as we only do it very occasionally when against a few select teams that seem to have no weakness.

Carry on threatening to stab people on internet - great policy in 2019 when people have been arrested for far less online . I would love to see you tell the police how it’s only a gimmick.
I’m gonna find you and I’m gonna fuck you.
Don’t @me

images

Are people really saying we don’t have enough money to win the carabou?

If we can’t compete for anything, why all the hysterics every window. Why do people want Levy to back Poch so aggressively?

For the 4th spot trophy and a plucky cup run?

Haven’t we been doing that for 4 years now? Yet nobody seems satisfied every time the window opens, they want signings for this “next level”.

But it appears that the next level is fully the responsibility of the chairman and some of the players, but when it comes to the manager and certain other players, absolutely nothing is their responsibility and the reason we haven’t won anything is “City”........hmmm I though it was ENIC.....even though until this summer our manager has openly mocked the domestics several times (and finished above every single other team in the top 6 during his reign)

If you’re happy not winning silverware that’s fine, but some fans want a trophy while they also believe that this “best squad in many fans lifetime” and “best manager since Burkinshaw” have been more than capable of it WHILE finishing top 4.

Dropping to 9th to win a Carabou is tiresome cop out. We laugh at West Ham then act like we are on their level.
People asked all summer “why would Eriksen go to Utd”........

Then claim that little old Tottenham should be happy “achieving” 4th for all eternity.

Last edited:
If we had won a league cup or two and finished 5th in the league instead of having the seasons we have had under Poch would you be more happier?

Hard to say, but winning finals is better than losing them as far as I’m concerned.

If we were a 5th place team winning stuff, and had never entered this top 4 elite race, we’d probably still be at WHL like it was under Jol but winning domestics.

Sounds like Spurs to me....I’d take that.

Now let me ask you, because no one seems to consider the flip side of your eternal scenario.

Would you rather have the exact same seasons under Poch, only having won the Carabou final in 2015 against Chelsea?

Haven’t we lost 7 FA cup semi finals in a row now?

Is it “City” that has stopped us from having silverware as well as top 4?

1) We are financially 6th in the league. Poch has the least resources of the top 6 (transfer fees and wage bill) and has even gone windows without making a signing (never heard of until last season). He has us punching well above our weight with consistency that is outstanding and which has probably never been seen.

We are financially 6th and? Do we have the sixth best team squad in the league? No we don’t - virtually everyone has us to finish 3rd, virtually everyone acknowledges that we have a better team/squad than Chelsea, Woolwich and United. How is that possible using your logic? We don’t have the market capacity to compete with those clubs but we haven’t needed to - we built an elite team via other means just like Liverpool did because they haven’t got the market capacity to compete with those other teams. It just a fatuous argument to make - we could have the Brazil 70 World Cup winning side and you would still be arguing we cannot compete because 6 other clubs have greater revenue. What matters is the players we have and we currently have the 4th most valuable squad in world football according to CIES. But despite having Kane, Ali, Son, Eriksen, Ndombele, Lloris etc we have no right to compete with other sides who have greater revenue ( but in some cases) inferior teams? Seriously get out.

2) As a result of lack of investment in the squad we often lack certain pieces and/or depth to challenge on more than one front. It makes sense to prioritise the league and CL where we can generate more revenue. This can be put back into the team. We're not signing Ndombele and Lo Celso if win an FA Cup and have no CL run. History literally shows that the longer and more consistently a team finishes in the top 4 the more likely they are to win trophies.

Lack of investment in the squad? Are people still clinging to this after the summer we have had? We spent over £100 on two players and yet we are still getting the he hasn’t been backed narrative. As for history showing CL qualification and silverware - when can we expect it to yield silverware for us, what’s the timeline. If that’s right then why are we the only PL side who has secured consistent CL campaigns not to have won a trophy? How do you account for that?

3) Despite having almost no budget Poch has had us in title races and cup finals/semis. If Leicester and Chelsea had to play European games during their title winning seasons they most likely would not have won the league. We were extremely unlucky especially considering we ammassed the most points over 2 seasons at the time.

So Leicester whose budget was a fraction of ours beats us to the title but this is all down to an unfair advantage? Correct me if I wrong but didn’t we play second string sides in the Europa and throw the game against Dortmund. But we were just ‘unlucky’ right?

4) Knockout cup games involve some luck. That's a fact. It's silly to demand a trophy unless you're substantially better than the opposition.

I love the whole luck argument it is just so wonderfully stupid. We lost to Crystal Palace and Leicester both twice in the FA cup but that was down to just bad luck. Doesn’t it strike you as odd that other top 6 sides keep on getting lucky when it comes to winning things but we do not? Why do you believe we have such an unlucky manager?

5) You say Poch has a team good enough to win trophies and challenge for top 4. That's why you're not a manager or talent scout but instead some hater who talks shite on the net. Saying we have a team capable of doing both does not make it true. I think the man who had us finish 2nd and 3rd in the league and took us to a CL final with basically no net spend has a better fucking idea than you do tbh. Let me repeat that again because this is central to your constant bitching- you do not get to decide that our squad is so strong we should demand to win trophies and get top 4. You are a nobody. Our squad expectations are not based on your bizarre sense of entitlement.

Well it’s not just me virtually all the media say the same - you have two of the games most successful managers in PEP and Mourhino state that we can challenge for the league this season. Independent bodies value our squad as the fourth most value but according to you a top 4 finish and an FA Cup or league cup is above us. It’s quite something when you have a supporter who will readily disregard external commentators, will readily run down the quality of our team/ squad simply to elevate our manager. It tell you were your loyalties lie and it isn’t with the club.

It is a FACT that final league standings nearly always correlate with spending (transfers/wages) except for a few anomalies. We are already over achieving it is retarded to demand we overachieve more.

It’s a FACT apart for those FACTs which go against this. Liverpool can win a CL despite their limited financial capacity in comparison to the likes of United, City, Bayen, Real and Barca but it’s different with us. Leicester can win a league title when they even trailed us financially ( I take it your criticised Poch for allowing a club with significantly less revenue to beat us) but that’s just one of those things right? A. Madrid beat Real and Barca to a league title so did Dortmund with Bayern but I guess they are just the wrong sort of FACTs right?

Liverpool have invested heavily nearly every year. Stupid comparison. Judge managers equally ffs. Chelsea have had years of heavy spending and only dipped because of players downing tools periodically, they were not a team of bums Sarri performed miracles with.

Liverpool have a lower net spend average than the likes of Everton and Bournemouth - none of Salah, Mane and Firmino cost big money. And their record signing in Van Dyke was paid for by the sale of their best player Countino. They have just spent no money this summer - ours in comparison dwarfs theres , I take it on that basis you now expect us to finish above them? As for Chelsea - they have spent heavily and none of that has been a success, it was a mediocre side that only had 2 star players ( one of which Kante was being played out of position and was a shadow of his former self). But no let’s ignore that and pretend that their squad was better than ours because we are sixth in the revenues leagues and they are higher. It’s quite something that so many come out with this compete nonsense.

Reasons we haven’t won an FA or Carabou Cup:

Haven’t spent enough....?
Wow

What about this then?
“My personal feeling is that starting my sixth season, I need to lift a trophy," he admitted. "Carabao Cup, FA Cup, Premier League or Champions League.
If you ask me personally, this season is not about finishing in the top four to be successful - although of course maybe that matters for the club.”

So maybe we can address Pochettino being an entitle cunt then.
Or maybe read between the lines and what he meant was “I can’t win a trophy because City”

Last edited:
When Woolwich were going through their decade long trophy drought pretty much everyone to the man on here use to take the piss at the way they coveted their annual top 4 trophy.
Now we're doing it, all of a sudden it's ok and the benchmark of success!
success is relative. the piss taking of Woolwich was largely due to where they'd fallen from - top european side competing for trophies every year, to happy to finish 4th. we've come from a completely different place where perhaps its been ok so take a lot more out of that. that doesn't mean we shouldn't have won something along the way - we should have imo, but it also doesnt mean we cant be happy with it and see it as relative success so far. that said, that period is over imo and success now is both top 4 and actually winning things.

1) We are financially 6th in the league. Poch has the least resources of the top 6 (transfer fees and wage bill) and has even gone windows without making a signing (never heard of until last season). He has us punching well above our weight with consistency that is outstanding and which has probably never been seen.

2) As a result of lack of investment in the squad we often lack certain pieces and/or depth to challenge on more than one front. It makes sense to prioritise the league and CL where we can generate more revenue. This can be put back into the team. We're not signing Ndombele and Lo Celso if win an FA Cup and have no CL run. History literally shows that the longer and more consistently a team finishes in the top 4 the more likely they are to win trophies.

3) Despite having almost no budget Poch has had us in title races and cup finals/semis. If Leicester and Chelsea had to play European games during their title winning seasons they most likely would not have won the league. We were extremely unlucky especially considering we ammassed the most points over 2 seasons at the time.

4) Knockout cup games involve some luck. That's a fact. It's silly to demand a trophy unless you're substantially better than the opposition.

5) You say Poch has a team good enough to win trophies and challenge for top 4. That's why you're not a manager or talent scout but instead some hater who talks shite on the net. Saying we have a team capable of doing both does not make it true. I think the man who had us finish 2nd and 3rd in the league and took us to a CL final with basically no net spend has a better fucking idea than you do tbh. Let me repeat that again because this is central to your constant bitching- you do not get to decide that our squad is so strong we should demand to win trophies and get top 4. You are a nobody. Our squad expectations are not based on your bizarre sense of entitlement.

It is a FACT that final league standings nearly always correlate with spending (transfers/wages) except for a few anomalies. We are already over achieving it is retarded to demand we overachieve more.

Liverpool have invested heavily nearly every year. Stupid comparison. Judge managers equally ffs. Chelsea have had years of heavy spending and only dipped because of players downing tools periodically, they were not a team of bums Sarri performed miracles with.
Just to say, on the liverpool point, that until last summer, Klopps net spend was 700k. Less than a million. They spent a lot last summer, and balanced that with fuck all this.

According to this site our net in the past 5 seasons is higher than theirs. (Obviously that can change in the next 7 days)..the clear implication being that they have just spent it better

Money and stuff

So did they tbf.

Leicester won the League and their best players were Vardy, Mahrez and Ozazaki.
They had Huth at CB.

People say this happens once in a lifetime (not in mine anyway) and genuinely try to compare the gap between us and Leicester to the gap between us and City or Chelsea.

Apparently in the 2-2 the other day was a tactical masterpiece on our part. Our brilliant manager outwitted the Billionaires etc etc etc
Why cant we win the Carabou though…...oh yeah, because City are too strong.

Unfortunately we have become an established CL club during the era of Pep's City. They won the domestic treble last season. They won the double the season before that. No team has any right to "expect" a trophy when they are around, they are much better than all the other English teams. If Lloris hadn't saved Aguero's penalty in the first leg they probably would have won the CL last season too.

We have played many semis and two cup finals under Poch, so we are close, I don't know what more people are expecting us to do. We are competitive and that's all you can ask for. We have added some quality midfield players that should stop our most limited player from starting every game and we have sold the guy who made the most errors last season. We should be confident and hope that this time we can be just that little bit tougher and win something, that's not to say we should expect it. We are not better than City so we will have to upset the odds to achieve it.

Last season we had to play the decisive leg of the Carabao semi final without Kane, Dele and Son, and had to let our dregs take penalties instead of our main forwards. That was just bad luck. You always need a bit of luck when you don't have unlimited blood money to stack your squad with world class players.

I still live in North London and I talk to a lot of Spurs supporters.

Poch seens to get a far easier time of it on this forum than is the
case of the wider fanbase.

His tactics and somewhat bizarre use of substitutes have been called in to question for the last two seasons.

Leaving Lucas on the bench for the CL final was the final straw for a few.

Final straw?!

Fuck off. You sure those aren't Gooners that you've been talking to!

Final straw is a step too far, but this place is like a sick cult that all want to be Pochs little boy, sitting on his knee while he looks lovingly into their eyes saying "good boy!"

Never seen anything like it......people actually saying the City game was GENIUS tactics..

Im on my way to a ban for talking about the article where Poch is said to have turned down Dybala. Its a fucking sect. 6 years, no trophies and people en masse dont believe Klopp or Simeone would have us playing better football, LOL.

Even Pep wouldnt improve us according to TFC. But hey, all this means I "HATE POCHS GUTS AND WANT HIM SACKED!!!!!!!!"

Fucking kindergarten

Fuck off you boring cunt.

:pochsmirk:

We are financially 6th and? Do we have the sixth best team squad in the league? No we don’t - virtually everyone has us to finish 3rd, virtually everyone acknowledges that we have a better team/squad than Chelsea, Woolwich and United. How is that possible using your logic? We don’t have the market capacity to compete with those clubs but we haven’t needed to - we built an elite team via other means just like Liverpool did because they haven’t got the market capacity to compete with those other teams. It just a fatuous argument to make - we could have the Brazil 70 World Cup winning side and you would still be arguing we cannot compete because 6 other clubs have greater revenue. What matters is the players we have and we currently have the 4th most valuable squad in world football according to CIES. But despite having Kane, Ali, Son, Eriksen, Ndombele, Lloris etc we have no right to compete with other sides who have greater revenue ( but in some cases) inferior teams? Seriously get out.

Lack of investment in the squad? Are people still clinging to this after the summer we have had? We spent over £100 on two players and yet we are still getting the he hasn’t been backed narrative. As for history showing CL qualification and silverware - when can we expect it to yield silverware for us, what’s the timeline. If that’s right then why are we the only PL side who has secured consistent CL campaigns not to have won a trophy? How do you account for that?

So Leicester whose budget was a fraction of ours beats us to the title but this is all down to an unfair advantage? Correct me if I wrong but didn’t we play second string sides in the Europa and throw the game against Dortmund. But we were just ‘unlucky’ right?

I love the whole luck argument it is just so wonderfully stupid. We lost to Crystal Palace and Leicester both twice in the FA cup but that was down to just bad luck. Doesn’t it strike you as odd that other top 6 sides keep on getting lucky when it comes to winning things but we do not? Why do you believe we have such an unlucky manager?

Well it’s not just me virtually all the media say the same - you have two of the games most successful managers in PEP and Mourhino state that we can challenge for the league this season. Independent bodies value our squad as the fourth most value but according to you a top 4 finish and an FA Cup or league cup is above us. It’s quite something when you have a supporter who will readily disregard external commentators, will readily run down the quality of our team/ squad simply to elevate our manager. It tell you were your loyalties lie and it isn’t with the club.

It’s a FACT apart for those FACTs which go against this. Liverpool can win a CL despite their limited financial capacity in comparison to the likes of United, City, Bayen, Real and Barca but it’s different with us. Leicester can win a league title when they even trailed us financially ( I take it your criticised Poch for allowing a club with significantly less revenue to beat us) but that’s just one of those things right? A. Madrid beat Real and Barca to a league title so did Dortmund with Bayern but I guess they are just the wrong sort of FACTs right?

Liverpool have a lower net spend average than the likes of Everton and Bournemouth - none of Salah, Mane and Firmino cost big money. And their record signing in Van Dyke was paid for by the sale of their best player Countino. They have just spent no money this summer - ours in comparison dwarfs theres , I take it on that basis you now expect us to finish above them? As for Chelsea - they have spent heavily and none of that has been a success, it was a mediocre side that only had 2 star players ( one of which Kante was being played out of position and was a shadow of his former self). But no let’s ignore that and pretend that their squad was better than ours because we are sixth in the revenues leagues and they are higher. It’s quite something that so many come out with this compete nonsense.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, waffle, waffle, waffle, bollocks, shit, cunt, fuck off, Gooner maggot.

Boring, utterly fucking tiresome to read your shit on here. You have NO solutions but that's not going to stop your whinging. You're a real fan though.

:pochfacepalm:

What matters is the players we have and we currently have the 4th most valuable squad in world football according to CIES. But despite having Kane, Ali, Son, Eriksen, Ndombele, Lloris etc we have no right to compete with other sides who have greater revenue ( but in some cases) inferior teams? Seriously get out.
i'm sure that last time CIES published the top 100 players they had Dele above Hazard, Ronaldo, KDB, just to name a few and and Dier and Sanchez in the top 40.

suggests to me that quality alone isn't the sole driving force behind commercial value, but make of it what you will.

Back
Top Bottom