Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And what if he doesn't? Just asking for a friend...
I’ll be very upset, I guess?

It’s more that he’s dealing with a lot right now: bedding in new players, getting the squad fit, players coming off suspensions, injuries, some uncertainty around the squad and the transfer window. All that should more or less be cleared up by Woolwich, so I think it’s fair to say that if he lays an egg tactically there are far less excuses than there was last week and yesterday.

Pretty sure that for most people, "a total fucking shit cunt of a performance" doesn't result in us drawing away at the league champions.

Surely Bill, if we can play well and not win, it stands to reason we can play shit and not lose?

I think it was a total shit cunt of a performance, but not a total shit cunt of a result. That can happen in football, and often does.

Getting a bit weary of Poch's continual "poor me" schtick:

“We’re in a process where every season is: rebuild the team. I am so happy because that makes us stronger and be creative. But of course it’s tough.

Considering he's only been forced to sell one RB in five years and this season we had a stellar window (described by Statsbomb for example as one of the best two in the PL) that's some grade A whining for a guy who prefixed it with:

“I’m not complaining, only that I try to describe the truth and some people struggle to understand what the project is at Tottenham.

As far as the window goes, why can't the PL prevent sales as well as purchases on the PL deadline ?

Surely Bill, if we can play well and not win, it stands to reason we can play shit and not lose?

I think it was a total shit cunt of a performance, but not a total shit cunt of a result. That can happen in football, and often does.

It wasn't aesthetically pleasing nor (arguably) tactically accomplished or well executed, but there's presumably always gonna be positive aspects that prevent the other team prevailing; especially one of City's quality and calibre.

There was certainly more detail at play than simply we were shite and they couldn't finish for toffee.

I mean, in this case we did enough in 'those' ten minutes in the first half to stem the tide, get a goal and remind them that we still held a threat and wouldn't be a walk over....

Similarly, of their 30-odds shots, they weren't all Row-Z bound... As a defense, collectively and individually we had our moments.

Possession stats were surprisingly high.

To deprive us of the praise of being "clinical" would be brutally harsh too.

“We’re in a process where every season is: rebuild the team. I am so happy because that makes us stronger and be creative. But of course it’s tough.

Considering he's only been forced to sell one RB in five years and this season we had a stellar window (described by Statsbomb for example as one of the best two in the PL) that's some grade A whining for a guy who prefixed it with:

“I’m not complaining, only that I try to describe the truth and some people struggle to understand what the project is at Tottenham.

As far as the window goes, why can't the PL prevent sales as well as purchases on the PL deadline ?

Probably some kind of European legal obligation surrounding freedom of movement or something... If all leagues locked their windows down in similar fashion then I suspect that would prove a bridge too far in that context.

I say go back to how it was and just deem it a failed experiment; it certainly hasn't achieved what was intended.... How does it help the spectacle (see star power) of the EPL is Pogba leaves Utd next week and they can't replace him? Let's face it, I doubt (eg) Bournemouth are sweating the next 2 weeks like they or we are....

Even if one doesn't agree with how Poch is painting the picture, I certainly agree with the broader sentiment about the window closing how/when it does.

Probably some kind of European legal obligation surrounding freedom of movement or something... If all leagues locked their windows down in similar fashion then I suspect that would prove a bridge too far in that context.

I say go back to how it was and just deem it a failed experiment; it certainly hasn't achieved what was intended.... How does it help the spectacle (see star power) of the EPL is Pogba leaves Utd next week and they can't replace him? Let's face it, I doubt (eg) Bournemouth are sweating the next 2 weeks like they or we are....

Even if one doesn't agree with how Poch is painting the picture, I certainly agree with the broader sentiment about the window closing how/when it does.

Personally I think a far more logical - but undoubtedly more difficult- solution would be to try and get Europe’s major leagues to buy into the concept, just have a two month window of June and July, then all major leagues have squads settled before their season’s start.

I think the idea of closing the window before the season starts is a good one.

the other thing to point out is that PL clubs can still refuse to sell, just because the window for selling to Europe is still open, it’s no more compulsory than if it had effectively shut.

Personally I think a far more logical - but undoubtedly more difficult- solution would be to try and get Europe’s major leagues to buy into the concept, just have a two month window of June and July, then all major leagues have squads settled before their season’s start.

I think the idea of closing the window before the season starts is a good one.

Well if that can be achieved then it'd get my vote, but as we've seen; contrary to the apparent assumptions of the EPL the other leagues aren't similarly concerned about it and weren't keen to follow our lead.

Hense I resign myself to reverting back to prev.

the other thing to point out is that PL clubs can still refuse to sell, just because the window for selling to Europe is still open, it’s no more compulsory than if it had effectively shut.

Surely that ignores the dynamic and potential disruption of player power?

Pretty sure that for most people, "a total fucking shit cunt of a performance" doesn't result in us drawing away at the league champions.

So there is no such thing as luck in football?
Every single result is deserved and justified?
You don’t for one second think that match would not have looked out of place if it had finished 6-2?

The RESULT was good
The PERFORMANCE was not

We have LOST to the likes of Burnley in the past. They were fucking shit. Negative. Anti football, dirty cunts. They beat us.

Does that mean they played well?

Are you people REALLY trying to say that if Jesus goal stood, our ENTIRE performance would become worse?

Are you 7 years old?

If he keeps saying we cannot compete, surely that kind of negativity rubs off on the players?

Thought his in game management was terrible today, not for the first time. Took way too long to bring Moura on and our midfield was just getting over run.

Winks-Sissoko-Ndombele does not work.
Two Premier League games and only one as a midfield three seems like a fair data sample.

I have a question and it's one I thought of yesterday but still haven't decided the answer in my own head.

Do we lack our own system? I mean you know what man city will do -4141 , you know Liverpool will be 433 but us? You never quite know what were going to go with. That maybe a positive but I'm not convinced. I don't think Poch and the team have quite decided what the best way is to get the most out of the group .

Do we need a settled system? Not sure.

Must say, I agree with this. In our best under Poch, you could call the best starting XI easily, along with the formation. 4-2-3-1.

But the downside was, if one of the members of the team was out, then we didn't really have anyone who could come in and do the job to the same level.

Now we have some selection options, e.g. do we start Moura or Lamela? Who will miss out when Son, Lo Celso and Alli are all fully available?

Ideally, I would like us to have a system, where we can swap in player X for player Y, without the system changing completely. I think that's the most important element.

Back
Top Bottom