Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch has no faults and Eriksen and Kane were excellent!!!!! The Sunday sect is strong

And don’t forget 4th is better than 3rd!!!!!!

We’re the best!!! Better than Liverpool and Simeone is a fraud!!!!!
You remind me of my brother, everything is black and white, we're either brilliant or shit...

Poch has a say clearly proven by how we got all our targets who are very much Poch players.

On the subject of his tactics he clearly got them wrong yesterday and at Villa was far to defense minded and compact yesterday, and we where lucky not be be 5-1 down when Moura came on. But as others have said we are missing 3 key players so he was a little handicapped.

He does need to start changing games faster IMO however, but it's something he's always been bad at his entire time here so doubt it will ever change. Every manager had flaws and being 10 minutes late on subs isn't the worst flaw he can have.
Yes this season was a big change from Levy, but I cannot rate a season that has just started.

And yes, I agree yesterdays tactics could have been better, but that does not mean I agree that Poch is the main problem.

btw your response is something I can actually reply to. cheers

Yes this season was a big change from Levy, but I cannot rate a season that has just started.

And yes, I agree yesterdays tactics could have been better, but that does not mean I agree that Poch is the main problem.

So what Poch related issue WAS your anti-Levy post in relation to then?

None

See the trolls are out in force ....

Just watched the game again, you have to remember that it's 11:30pm when it kicks off out here so sobriety not always to the fore first time around ... anyway watching again after reading some of the informed comments in the quality media gave me a whole new take ...

Poch's tactics were bloody genius ... City score nearly all there goals by carving teams apart through the middle of the pitch, the final pass may come from any direction but it's the pressing and overpowering of the midfield that is their strength ... just look at how they carved West Ham apart last week ... so what did Poch do?

If you look at the setup we very deliberately played with nine players in a box that extended from the edges of the penalty area to the half way line ... in our own third we defended with no width at all until a City player got the ball out wide only then would a Spurs player move out to cover ... in effect we gave City the wings and just defended the centre ... did this work?

Good question how can you tell? Well City at home in 2019 average 67% possession, they have completely dominate all the stats regardless of whom they play ... yesterday they were at 56% still dominant but having to work a lot harder with less of the ball. Did City cut us apart in the middle? no they really didn't we gave as good as we got and kept City for most of the game at arms length ... so that tactics in the middle of the pitch worked

The downside was that City got in far more crosses than normal and indeed both their goals came from excellent cross field balls ... still we are good at defending crosses and it took a couple of exceptional balls to beat our back line ... you simply can't deny City's quality.

Were we lucky? of course we were ... but we had a plan, a very good plan and we followed it for ninety minutes it worked so well that City started running out of ideas and had to make attacking substitutions to try and change things up.

Not saying these were game winning tactics, or indeed tactics I'd like to see us play very often, but they were very clearly tactics that Poch had worked on with the team, and that the team followed ... that alone is a mark of excellent management. To dare is to do, Poch dared to try something new against the EPL champions the outcome being that we got a point ... what's not to admire?

Big change in the money due to the stadium I reckon it will be the norm to see us spend 80ish million a year from now same as what Woolwich and Liverpool do, obviously United and City will always be a different animal but I reckon Poch can look forward to a lot more backing now.

And I don't think we can blame anyone but Poch for how this team sets up, but he's gonna need time to get everyone back fit and bed in the new guys. If by Christmas we are still struggling we are gonna have to start asking questions. We lucked out last year IMO and need to see improvement.

Also no worries I try and always actually talk about football and stay away from cunt offs when I can but it does get hard.

My original question remains?

What issue?

...That we haven't won the league ahead of City?

....Is that IT????

You're offering nothing else.
Way too hungover for some emotional teenager mate. You clearly put waaaay too much stock into this and have waaay more passion about arguing your points than I.

I stated why, if that is not good enough for you, too bad.

besides, you seem to have a very hard time comprehending stuff, and you seem to pick and choose what you want to read.

Seriously take a chill pill mate.

Big change in the money due to the stadium I reckon it will be the norm to see us spend 80ish million a year from now same as what Woolwich and Liverpool do, obviously United and City will always be a different animal but I reckon Poch can look forward to a lot more backing now.

And I don't think we can blame anyone but Poch for how this team sets up, but he's gonna need time to get everyone back fit and bed in the new guys. If by Christmas we are still struggling we are gonna have to start asking questions. We lucked out last year IMO and need to see improvement.

Also no worries I try and always actually talk about football and stay away from cunt offs when I can but it does get hard.
Cheers mate, well argumented, and I can definitely somewhat agree. We will have to see how this season shapes out.

I might very well be wrong on Levy, but I am not going to sit and defend myself to some aggressive emotional asshat like Air.

Last edited:
Way too hungover for some emotional teenager mate. You clearly put waaaay too much stock into this and have waaay more passion about arguing your points than I.

Then why so readily resulting to insults? ...Why bother even posting tenuous moaning if you're so terribly hungover?

Why not just spare us until entirely until you have something more topically constructive to contribute?

I stated why, if that is not good enough for you, too bad

You explained "why", but what is it an explanation OF? :roll:

"Levy suck because...." - Like I asked more than once; how is that relevant to the current discussion surrounding Poch's (and subsequently the team's) performance yesterday?

besides, you seem to have a very hard time comprehending stuff, and you seem to pick and choose what you want to read.

Bore off with that shit.... As above, your showing a poor grasp of things here; not me.

Seriously take a chill pill mate.

Yay... Hollow fluff rules!

....I am here to exhange and debate opinion about my team (and have a few laughs along the way)... My apologies if you simply hope to post unchallenged; but you evidently don't understand the concept of a forum.

Cheers mate, well argumented, and I can definitely somewhat agree. We will have to see how this season shapes out.

I might very well be wrong on Levy, but I am not going to sit and defend myself to some aggressive emotional asshat like Air.

Your choice of language and opting for insults makes you a hypocrite, 'mate'.

You remind me of my brother, everything is black and white, we're either brilliant or shit...

Hmmmm not really

Shit is shit
Brilliant is brilliant
Ok is ok

I’m simply not one of those people who say “that was shit because our tactics and midfield was shit......but Eriksen wasn’t shit and Poch did nothing wrong and Kane shouldn’t be criticised and City are bankrolled and have money but KWP is shit and Sissoko was shit and despite pining over Lo Celso for 6 months I’m glad he wasn’t brought on earlier because he needs to go to English lessons for a year, and Levy is shit and the medics are shit but Dele had a brilliant season but Trippier was shit”

Last edited:

You do realise that ten years prior to moving into our new stadium that Levy had already paid off £500m of our stadium and training ground debt though right?

We've been balancing debt with keeping massive teams like Woolwich, Man U & Chelsea away from us in the top 4 threat. Levy has done a remarkable job regardless of a few blemishes.

See the trolls are out in force ....

Just watched the game again, you have to remember that it's 11:30pm when it kicks off out here so sobriety not always to the fore first time around ... anyway watching again after reading some of the informed comments in the quality media gave me a whole new take ...

Poch's tactics were bloody genius ... City score nearly all there goals by carving teams apart through the middle of the pitch, the final pass may come from any direction but it's the pressing and overpowering of the midfield that is their strength ... just look at how they carved West Ham apart last week ... so what did Poch do?

If you look at the setup we very deliberately played with nine players in a box that extended from the edges of the penalty area to the half way line ... in our own third we defended with no width at all until a City player got the ball out wide only then would a Spurs player move out to cover ... in effect we gave City the wings and just defended the centre ... did this work?

Good question how can you tell? Well City at home in 2019 average 67% possession, they have completely dominate all the stats regardless of whom they play ... yesterday they were at 56% still dominant but having to work a lot harder with less of the ball. Did City cut us apart in the middle? no they really didn't we gave as good as we got and kept City for most of the game at arms length ... so that tactics in the middle of the pitch worked

The downside was that City got in far more crosses than normal and indeed both their goals came from excellent cross field balls ... still we are good at defending crosses and it took a couple of exceptional balls to beat our back line ... you simply can't deny City's quality.

Were we lucky? of course we were ... but we had a plan, a very good plan and we followed it for ninety minutes it worked so well that City started running out of ideas and had to make attacking substitutions to try and change things up.

Not saying these were game winning tactics, or indeed tactics I'd like to see us play very often, but they were very clearly tactics that Poch had worked on with the team, and that the team followed ... that alone is a mark of excellent management. To dare is to do, Poch dared to try something new against the EPL champions the outcome being that we got a point ... what's not to admire?

Hahaha gotta love it.

If it wasn’t for 92nd minute VAR would you have written any of that?

Are you done mate?

You can throw insults all you want, it is your aggressive, very emotional way of throwing insults I have a hard time dealin with.

Pot kettle. You've been doing more insulting than I have.... Very few people here can genuinely claim the high ground on that front; you're not one of them.

Sure i can be emotional; maybe you're just being sensitive rather than me being overtly aggressive.

Go nurse your hangover....

Last edited:
So, Pochettino said that Eriksen spoke to him in training after the Villa game and brushed off suggestions he was the catalyst for change for Villa. Poch agreed and called it a coincidence.

Glad that's been cleared up.

So, Pochettino said that Eriksen spoke to him in training after the Villa game and brushed off suggestions he was the catalyst for change for Villa. Poch agreed and called it a coincidence.

Glad that's been cleared up.

All very "man walked into a pub...."

I was expecting a snappier punchline tbh, T...

4/10

So onto Verthonghen... Whatever next? :pochcry:

Back
Top Bottom