Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Excellent result

Poor performance

Good teams find a way to get a result when they weren’t at their best. Look at Liverpool vs Southampton

I’m sure everyone would’ve taken a draw at City before the match

Questionable tactics by Poch

Son is back! Let’s get the momentum going with a good win vs Newcastle

We were crap, and not one person would be lauding our set up if Jesus goal stood

I never once felt truly under the cosh in the 2nd half. Yes we gave up possession far too recklessly but I think that was at the expense of having a midfield and full back department that was told not to commit bodies forward too much.

All 3 'goals' scored by City were via crosses. Clearly we had a plan to take our chances on their crossing opportunities so we could stifle them playing through the middle. It wasn't a great performance but how can we say for certain that this wasn't our game plan? We clearly didn't commit bodies forward so maybe as far as Pochettino is concerned the plan went as well as he hoped. We didn't exactly go for it at 2-2 and maybe Poch sacrificed style over substance which in the end paid off as City's would never have got that VAR opportunity ruled out if it hadn't initially touched Laportes arm.

We can play more stylishly of course but if the game plan was to sit deep, absorb, force them out wide and take our chances that they won't create enough to peel away from us cricket score style then it was job well done. Only Poch and the boys will know though.

I can't argue with that. If we'd have turned up maybe we'd have got more, probably we'd have got less. Ultimately we'd have taken a point and at the end of the day it is a results business.

I'm keen to see how the new boys bed in, only then do I think we'll get a true reflection of how things stand within our ranks this year.

I guess that becomes the poser....

If the game was a month or 2 later and we were in full swing, would we have enough to beat them when, spammer saying aside, maybe they're still finding their feet too?

:yikes:

One thing I am sure about is that IF we do believe we're capable of a title challenge, then their dropping 2 points at home is a welcome contribution to our cause and bigger than the point added to our tally.

I think we got them at a good time when they weren't quite at top momentum and we were fortunate, no doubt, but that's a valuable point which I doubt many other teams will get.

We've played a lot better and lost in the past, maybe we were lucky but we took out chances when they came and City didn't, that's a quite a positive to take from a tough old game.

Generally a poor performance all round but I was absolutely delighted with the result and Shearers salt on MOTD

Cunt

The rules were followed regarding handling the ball in the area so STFU

I guess that becomes the poser....

If the game was a month or 2 later and we were in full swing, would we have enough to beat them when, spammer saying aside, maybe they're still finding their feet too?

:yikes:

One thing I am sure about is that IF we do believe we're capable of a title challenge, then their dropping 2 points at home is a welcome contribution to our cause and bigger than the point added to our tally.

We definitely went for a smash and grab against them. If this was too negative or very smart based on no Foyth or Aurier, no fully integrated Ndombele or Lo Celso and no Sonny or Del is up for debate.

If you'd have said to me at the start of the season that we have the two fixtures we have faced with both Walker-Peters & Lamela starting both games and the return will be 4 points I would have run all the way home and tucked that offer between my teenage dirty mags for safe keeping. It weren't the most promising of performances, neither game has been but we got shit done in the end and whilst people can say about it being a different outcome should their final goal have stood people are missongna big point in all of this, it was an illegal goal where a massive advantage came from it touching Laportes arm. If I take doesn't hit his arm it doesn't fall to Jesus and the point would still have been a point without all the controversy that's come with it.

Realistically speaking it's probably the best point we will get all season so no need to worry, it's all about the chill :chicco:

Blimey, just finally finished reading through this thread and everyone's comments on yesterday's game. My view on matters is this. If there was a Sunday Newspaper called "The Bare Facts" it would state the following :
Yesterday Spurs played away at Manchester City, the result was 2-2 which meant both teams gained one league point.

Now how that came to be we can argue about until the proverbial cows come home but the facts will remain the same. If someone wants to criticise the manner in which that point was obtained then do so constructively, don't just point a finger at one or two players and say they were shit and didn't turn up, explain what you would have done had you been in Poch's seat. That way members can engage in meaningful and entertaining discussion rather than just watch others playing 'slag off tennis' which becomes tediously boring to read.

The people who should be miserable and pissed off today about it only being a draw are the Man City team and fans who failed to capitalise on having a home advantage. We should all be thanking our lucky stars and looking forward to the Newcastle game with a wry smile on our faces.
So if you feel a player didn't perform tell us who would you have had him subbed by or how would you have changed the formation around in order to get that player more involved and influential on the match. Put some meat in the sandwich we can actually chew on instead of just the unpalatable stale bread of simply totally negative posts.

(Hmmmm feeling quite hungry after that last comment....the pub Sunday Lunch beckons :thumbup:)
:coys:

We definitely went for a smash and grab against them. If this was too negative or very smart based on no Foyth or Aurier, no fully integrated Ndombele or Lo Celso and no Sonny or Del is up for debate.

If you'd have said to me at the start of the season that we have the two fixtures we have faced with both Walker-Peters & Lamela starting both games and the return will be 4 points I would have run all the way home and tucked that offer between my teenage dirty mags for safe keeping. It weren't the most promising of performances, neither game has been but we got shit done in the end and whilst people can say about it being a different outcome should their final goal have stood people are missongna big point in all of this, it was an illegal goal where a massive advantage came from it touching Laportes arm. If I take doesn't hit his arm it doesn't fall to Jesus and the point would still have been a point without all the controversy that's come with it.

Realistically speaking it's probably the best point we will get all season so no need to worry, it's all about the chill :chicco:

Yeh, I can sit back and relax this afternoon in hope that Brenton embarrasses Fat Frank now.

p.s. Those mags.... Got any scans? My 'mate' loves a bit of old skool...

Generally a poor performance all round but I was absolutely delighted with the result and Shearers salt on MOTD

Cunt

The rules were followed regarding handling the ball in the area so STFU

I don’t get all the bitching and moaning about the overturned goal.

If the ball doesn’t hit Laporte’s arm, it doesn’t fall to Jesus and City do not score.

When it comes to waist, no other club comes close:

Newcastle-fan-belly.jpg

And people say they won't have the stomach for a relegation fight this season :roflmao:

And people say they won't have the stomach for a relegation fight this season :roflmao:

I have a mate who's a Southern Barcode (can't accuse him of being a glory-hunter, I'll give him that).... I hope we batter them like a sausage next week....

Melty Geordies is top banter! ( ....Looks like Mr StayPuff above started melting some time ago tbh.)

It wasn't a great performance but you have to cut Poch some slack.
Against City, Son is our most important attacking player. Foyth, at the Etihad a few months ago in the PL fixture, basically kept Sterling in his pocket at RB, so he was quite a miss too. Also Lo Celso and Sessegnon haven't yet settled in.

I do think though that with the benefit of hindsight Poch will realise he didn't get the game plan right. KWP was being torn to shreds by Sterling. I personally would have put Sissoko had RWB, and had a 5 man defence bringing in Vert. One of the CMs, either Winks or Ndombele, would have to be marking KDB, how did we let him have so much time and space? Kane and Lucas upfront to give us more of a threat on the counter.
Still, amazing result, to get a point from the Etihad is remarkable, by far the hardest game of the season.

I have a mate who's a Southern Barcode (can't accuse him of being a glory-hunter, I'll give him that).... I hope we batter them like a sausage next week....

Melty Geordies is top banter! ( ....Looks like Mr StayPuff above started some time ago tbh.)

Just like that guy's gut they're always grumbling

Also the off the ball movement was really bad. Everytime someone had the ball in midfield, others wouldn't make themselves available for the pass. A few times in the first half Winks and Eriksen had the ball in a decent area and had no one to pass to. Played with too much fear, invited pressure.

Back
Top Bottom