Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nope I reckon we go 4-2-3-1

Kane up front
Son - Dele - Lo Celso
Winks - Ndombele

That's of course assuming there is no Eriksen and even if he stays he drops into the Winks position ... that formation is very flexible all six of those players can exchange positions as the game flows ... it's different from the formation of last year but then so are the players available.

On the bench we have Lucas, Lamela, Sissoko, GKN going forward and Wanyama, Dier, Skipp should we need more defending ... you can easily see the potential changes that could be made during games.

Having Dele back in what will be in effect a number 10 role will play to his strengths, last season he did a job for the team in a far deeper position than he probably wanted ... hopefully we can see that changing this season and Dele getting back to his goal influencing best

Of course if Eriksen stays we suddenly have "to many great players" then it will be all about who's fit and on form, Poch will be earning his 8m a year just getting the selections correct.

Such a shame he gets injured just at the time where we could have seen him return to his favoured position up the pitch.

Is there any news on when we can expect a return?

I agree with you but it's become a pattern with more players than him at this point. Kane's aggrevated his ankle injuries how many times now by coming back way ahead of time and obviously taking damage because of it?

Can't keep rushing players back and expect nothing to go wrong.

Even if they insist they’re ok

It’s not their decision

Sorry I dont remember him covering anyone but let’s hope he’s better this year, that was the point.

Sorry if my positive post was too negative for you
Didn't view your post as negative.

You've posted your personal views on Dele for ages now, yet will not accept that his position was completely different than in previous years for us. I find this odd why you don't acknowledge this despite having it pointed out.

He played in a much deeper role than in any previous season for us but you judge the player expecting the same as in previous years when played in far more advanced positions. Would you judge Kane on his scoring the same number of goals if he was playing in midfield?

Didn't view your post as negative.

You've posted your personal views on Dele for ages now, yet will not accept that his position was completely different than in previous years for us. I find this odd why you don't acknowledge this despite having it pointed out.

He played in a much deeper role than in any previous season for us but you judge the player expecting the same as in previous years when played in far more advanced positions. Would you judge Kane on his scoring the same number of goals if he was playing in midfield?

I haven’t judged Dele on lack of goals

Let’s hope he’s better than last season, the reason why he was crap doesn’t really matter to me.

Last edited:
Dunno about that, they were legends, Dele is brilliant tho so hopefully.

just to put things into context, Lampard at age 23 had just ust moved from Wham to Chelsea and whilst Gerrard had been in the Livrpool team for a few seasons by that age he wasn't scoring many at all.

Dele at his current age of 23 has been a significant player for Spurs, a top PL team for FOUR seasons already, and has scored more PL goals at his current age than Lampard and Gerrard had COMBINED had done by age 23.

Lampard and Gerrard both had very good careers for about 10 years each from the age of 23 onwards.

If Dele continues at the same rate until a similar age that Lampard and Gerrard when both stopped being at the top, it looks like Dele might have had 14, years at he top versus 10 for both Lampard and Gerrard. Big advantage for Dele over a career.

He wasn't crap though, that's the point!!

In fact, he was very, very good (and this includes playing for the entire season with an injury picked up in the World Cup, maybe even before).

Ok so you must be hoping he plays to the same level as last season then.

I hope he’s better this year. I guess we’re clear on that now

Ok so you must be hoping he plays to the same level as last season then.

I hope he’s better this year. I guess we’re clear on that now
He was very good last year, said it all throughout the season, whilst you said he was crap throughout the season. He infuriates you, he pleases me immensely. Another season like last year would be fine just by me.

And I'm not the only one.....

I am looking forward to this season even more so because I'm fascinated to see the dynamic with both him and Ndombele in the same side. This really intrigues me, I think we might have to wait until next year before Ndombele knows what he's supposed to do for Poch when without the ball, but we have two different but very dynamic midfielders in the same side I find quite exciting.

He was very good last year, said it all throughout the season, whilst you said he was crap throughout the season. He infuriates you, he pleases me immensely. Another season like last year would be fine just by me.

And I'm not the only one.....

I am looking forward to this season even more so because I'm fascinated to see the dynamic with both him and Ndombele in the same side. This really intrigues me, I think we might have to wait until next year before Ndombele knows what he's supposed to do for Poch when without the ball, but we have two different but very dynamic midfielders in the same side I find quite exciting.

I thought he was crap but each to their own.
If anyone wants more of last seasons Dele that’s really great for them.

I want Dele 2016 back, but I’m in the minority maybe. I’m fine with that, I just prefer entertaining football.

I thought he was crap but each to their own.
If anyone wants more of last seasons Dele that’s really great for them.

I want Dele 2016 back, but I’m in the minority maybe. I’m fine with that, I just prefer entertaining football.
I think what you're asking then is for him to be played in a different position than he was last season. The stats Guido posted are for Dele as a central midfielder which is where he was playing last year. He was asked to do things besides create and score chances, he was asked to pressure, intercept and advance the ball from a deeper position. Obviously his output decreased.

It's not on Dele that he didn't have more goals and assists last year, it's on the fact that he was played deeper than he had before because our squad literally had no one else to play there.

I'd like to see him play further up the pitch this season as well, but it's not like Dele was bad last year. In my opinion, the fact that he adjusted so well to a different role shows how wonderful a player Dele is. I have no doubts (except maybe about his hamstrings) that if Dele plays in our front four this year that he'll produce goals and assists again.

Back
Top Bottom