Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is this a good window:

In - Ndombele, Clarke (loan), Lo Celso, Sessegnon
Out - Trippier, Rose, Eriksen, Toby

If not, what needs to be done still?

If we sign Eriksen to a new deal then to me its a great window even if Toby leaves and we don't bring in a RB/LB. I also think one transfer either in or out will pick up steam the last week that isn't being widely reported now which may impact the window significantly.

Really doubt this is going to happen.

Some thoughts :
Eriksen - so far looks like Real Madrid don't want to move for Eriksen. Lots of big smiles and playing Keepy uppy with Poch suggests Eriksen has realised that his boyhood dream may be over and he signs a new deal with Spurs. Odds 70/30 he stays at Spurs

Alderweireld - been hawked round to many European clubs by agent this summer but no takers on £25m release fee and wage demands not favourably received by others. When his contract expires next summer he's 31 and wants 2 years or so playing at top club with best wages possible before winding down at Ajax playing at lower level and lower salary. Odds are " hello Poch/Mr Levy can we chat about a new 2 year contract, and sorry for last misunderstandings". Perhaps odds 80/20

Rose - Most difficult one to call. He's always wanted to live " up nprth' but offers are from the likes of PSG. Will he/ won't he ? Still think slight probability he won't move as move would be too stressful. odds on staying more like ,60/40

So if I'm correct :

Ndombele replaces Dembele - but Dembele in 17/18 was definitely declining and nothing like the player of 16/17. Besides which Ndombele can pass/has end product, so replacement yes, but also an upgrade on Dembele in 18/19, 17/18 and maybe even 16/17. Great signing

Lo Celso - Can play CM and AM, so two for the price of one ! Not replacing anyone but can take pressure of Eriksen by rotating him, and ditto a CM. Great signing

Sessegnon - One for the future but maybe playing 30 times this season ? Or will be a key squad member. Certainly good acquisition whatever.

Very decent window, might get better with another in once Lo Celso and Sessegnon confirmed and preseason squad back

source.gif
Joaquin Phoenix is the evil twin of roger Federer. Change my mind

Hmmm Lo Celso could go down to the wire, seems Betis really are trying their best to get as close to the 70 mill euros as possible.

I think they are foolish because everyone knows they need money, especially after buying Fekir. We are in a good position to haggle them down.

BUT if someone swoops in willing to pay closer to the 70million then we will look very very stupid. It’s a dangerous game we are playing.

Hmmm Lo Celso could go down to the wire, seems Betis really are trying their best to get as close to the 70 mill euros as possible.

I think they are foolish because everyone knows they need money, especially after buying Fekir. We are in a good position to haggle them down.

BUT if someone swoops in willing to pay closer to the 70million then we will look very very stupid. It’s a dangerous game we are playing.

The same thing was said weeks before we signed Ndombele for an initial £53m after being quoted far more in the media. We aren't buying a packet of sweets here, £70m is a hell of a lot of money, in fact it would be the 3rd most expensive thing the club has ever invested in behind the stadium and the training ground.

Stop worrying.

We're getting Lo Celso

I think everyone has missed the point. Why with still a few weeks to go to the start of the season does anyone think that showing a Premiership table listing teams in Alphabetical order means anything. Last season's table is more interesting or no table at all.

Oh, it's quite important. We have been unbeaten all summer, no defeats! I'd say that's PRETTY impressing, to say the least.

Etc.

No, there are a handful of players globally can do what Dembele does. Sissoko and Winks are filling the hole, not replacing the loss. Ndombele has the pivot and close control to help beat the press that Dembele offered.

Fair play to Sissoko, his approximation of a wrecking ball can have a similar, if slightly less subtle effect but Ndombele will really show his class the first team that tries to press us, you watch.
Ok but I took Madrid to mean bodies rather than same qualities, no one has same qualities as Dembele.

Crap Sissoko + Dembele is roughly equal to God Sissoko and Skipp as a value certainly not a body down overall.

I don't think Madrid was looking at specific role in the team.

Mate, that paragraph is one sentence. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not picking up what you're putting down. Care to try again?
Sissoko pre last year was pretty much worthless, if we are totting up total players / transfers in over the past 2 years a la Madrid then Sissoko becoming a player needs to be accounted for.

hope that's clearer.

I am a bit of a happy clapper and even I gave up on Sissoko.

Unless someone is in for him it doesn't seem like they can hold out, listening to Sid Lowe (Spanish football Journalist) on a podcast even the €20M they originally spent on him would stretch them and they have spent about £40M in the last couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom