Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Even if the Bayern interest in Lo Celso is legit(I’m skeptical), can’t see him choosing them over us.
It was tweeted earlier today by Bild's Head of Football / Bayern watcher Christian Falk (they've got good sources at Bayern):

I think he has already decided that he wants to join us though, but we shouldn't have the illusion that he will be cheaper than £60m so let's pay it if we really want to back Poch this summer.

Last edited:
Yea, I see your point but it is bit off mark.
There never was 25 man team.

Replacing Janssen and N'Koudou has absolutely 0 effect. They were "in squad" but racked up smth like 100 minutes combined. Losing them has 0 effect, they were not trusted even at worst of the injury issues. Same goes for Vorm as well (who did not play after Gazzaniga took the 2nd gk place). That is 3 players with absolutely 0 effect actually.

Adding Wanyama to this list is also relevant as he played like 800 minutes alltogether.

So 1 player sold does not mean 1 equal squad member lost. Very far from it.
I mean it is by no mean relevant to compare losing Janssen, N'Koudou and Vorm to losing Kane, Son and Hugo despite both of the lists comprise of 3 players.

Though I agree that should we let Eriksen, Toby and Rose all go (after Tripps already left) that would mean the need to replace 4 REAL squad members (which is a lot).

Correct there never, effectively, was a 25 man squad. Which is the whole bloody point! We saw the devasting effect of that as injuries took its toll, and we were scraping and holding on for dear life.

We should be moving towards 25 viable options, not moving away from it by shifting anyone who hasn't been complete top marks for a period. Given we have plenty of deadwood to shift, plus a few unwanted uncertainties, we should leave well enough alone with anyone who potentially contributes positively on and off the field, ie. Lamela for instance. For the time being.

What do you believe Poch is doing when he repeatedly speaks of wanting to work with 25? Just trying to mindfuck Levy and us?

Janssen, N'Koudou, and Vorm has zero impact in terms of on the pitch, correct. The issue isn't that we need to replace them with world beaters and we're unable to do so. We just need to replace with people adequately better that they can contribute consistently (and more than 100 minutes). Rather the issue is that it does count towards the number of new faces to be integrated in the squad. And that has real effect, no matter fuck all minutes on the actual field of play.

Unless you can reason on the above question that Poch is just messing with us, when he says 25 again and again, then they WILL be replaced. By signings or youngsters integrated fully, we'll see, but they will be.

So my point stands, that there'll be 7-9 new faces for Sonny to do his handshakes with at breakfast. 8-10 and counting if we want to go your route and send Lamela packing. I'll take 7-9 and say that's already a huuuuge risk with a strong group dynamic.

To be completely clear, since you started talking about contribution and this possibly means we're talking about different things. My issue is NOT whether we would be able to sign 10+ players. We might. Who knows how many names Poch has down. My issue is solely the problem of integrating that many new players. That's a very real issue that has nothing to do with Janssen being crap and doing nothing in two years.

Last edited:
I'm getting a bit of a lob on at the thought of Lo Celso and N'Dombele next year.

Both of them are so good at driving forward and keeping possession, it will be a nightmare for opposing teams.

If Eriksen stays I'd love to see them on the pitch at the same time but I think that might be a bit too attack-minded for the big games :

.................Lloris
Aurier Toby Jan Davies
..................Winks
.....N'Dombele......Lo Celso
.................Eriksen
.........Son..................Kane

I would imagine Sissoko will be included for his presence against top 6 teams:

.................Lloris
Aurier Toby Jan Davies
.................Winks
N'Dombele .......Sissoko
.................Eriksen
.........Son..............Kane

Leaving Lucas, Alli, Lamela (Llorente maybe) off the bench. Starting to look like a proper squad. It's gonna be lovely to watch us controlling midfield again and I think we´re much better equipped to open up stubborn defences if this all comes to fruition.

Sign the ting Giovani!

Highlights from championship games he looks slow. No wonder he looked shit in the premier league.

Mate you chose to select a YouTube video of him when he was 17 years of age and scored 16 goals and got 8 assists and you focus on how slow he looks/ seems? He wasn't even old enough to buy a lottery ticket back when that video was put together cut the kid some slack.

You're entitled to your opinion and that but this kind of mindset when it comes to our youngsters slaughters them before they've even got going. Physically he could have another 3 years of growth ahead of him so let's not write him off just yet.

Out of curiosity and being truthful, how many of Fulhams games did you watch last season to see exactly how he got on playing his first season at the highest level? I don't know why people are negative about the prospect of us signing one of the countries most talked about teenagers,

Highlights from championship games he looks slow. No wonder he looked shit in the premier league.

Not sure where you're seeing slow. Not everyone who has decent pace needs to in-his-prime Bale or Mbappe who can put on the afterburners and fly by people. I see someone who very smart with the pace, he has. Slowing down at the right times, luring the defender into thinking they can win the ball, and then bursting past them.

Most insane-pace merchants compliment with very poor end product. This style is better and more effective in my book.

Not sure where you're seeing slow. Not everyone who has decent pace needs to in-his-prime Bale or Mbappe who can put on the afterburners and fly by people. I see someone who very smart with the pace, he has. Slowing down at the right times, luring the defender into thinking they can win the ball, and then bursting past them.

Most insane-pace merchants compliment with very poor end product. This style is better and more effective in my book.

He's just a miseable cunt. Rumour has it that Totti was last seen going to meet up for a drink with him and Notabadsquad squad and after an hour in their company he slit his wrists.

Folks continue, unabated, attributing the quality of 'pace' to him. He is not slow but doesn't have 'pace' like a Sonny or Lucas. People are seeing many things in this player that I just wonder how they do it. Hope I'm wrong.

There is very little to support a 'real' Bayern interest in Lo Celso. Where would he play for them? In the positions he would most likely play they have Tiago, Goretzka, Tolisso, and sometimes Muller. Tolisso was injured but is back. Doesn't seem to make sense and with our interest Bayern are not going to get into a bidding war with a top PL team. And they have a confirmed interest in Havertz for next season. Makes no sense this Lo Celso interest.
Unleeeess, we tell them "Go ahead with Lo Celso, but we get Havertz next year."

Folks continue, unabated, attributing the quality of 'pace' to him. He is not slow but doesn't have 'pace' like a Sonny or Lucas. People are seeing many things in this player that I just wonder how they do it. Hope I'm wrong.

I'd call him swift. But what he certainly does have that makes him an ideal full back is a great pair of lungs to get up and down the pitch.

I'm getting a bit of a lob on at the thought of Lo Celso and N'Dombele next year.

Both of them are so good at driving forward and keeping possession, it will be a nightmare for opposing teams.

If Eriksen stays I'd love to see them on the pitch at the same time but I think that might be a bit too attack-minded for the big games :

.................Lloris
Aurier Toby Jan Davies
..................Winks
.....N'Dombele......Lo Celso
.................Eriksen
.........Son..................Kane

I would imagine Sissoko will be included for his presence against top 6 teams:

.................Lloris
Aurier Toby Jan Davies
.................Winks
N'Dombele .......Sissoko
.................Eriksen
.........Son..............Kane

Leaving Lucas, Alli, Lamela (Llorente maybe) off the bench. Starting to look like a proper squad. It's gonna be lovely to watch us controlling midfield again and I think we´re much better equipped to open up stubborn defences if this all comes to fruition.

Sign the ting Giovani!
I'm salivating at the idea too, but with no pre-season I'm thinking we'll probably see the best of him next season, or in the second half of the season at the earliest. Which is fine, since this season we'll probably finish comfortably top 3, so gives us time to bed in players.

I hope we keep rose if we aren't signing a gun LB. If you can't do it all in one window, that's fine, but don't make it harder on yourself for the season. Likely to lose Toby, jan and Eriksen next year at the very least anyway, if it doesn't happen this window, so we'll need to replace them properly. Half measures just make us weaker for no reason

Even if the Bayern interest in Lo Celso is legit(I’m skeptical), can’t see him choosing them over us. The argie connection and considering we can pay the same if not better wages.. no contest. My how far our club has come.

The Bundesliga has fallen from where they were a few years ago but Bayern are still capable of paying more than us, their pay structure is actually pretty impressive.

They won’t buy expensive players but they do pay well.

Back
Top Bottom