Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fill ya boots me dears

So the purchase of Sissoko pretty much exclusively caused our biggest net spend in recent history.... Sure that'll go down a storm in certain quarters. :dembelelol:

Personally I had the Toby/Son window in mind, but not so....

Fair play if that's your outlook... I understand that off-thread posting offends me less than others.

Personally, I just see it as organic debate spun out of the trf rumours and activity contained within; which is typically how the trf threads pan out over the course of a summer. Not like anything of great value is being ommitted otherwise along the way.... On the flipside I'm not sure how one can practically segregate the trickle down concerns over (eg) a potential Rose transfer from the merely player/skill aspect of things.... Similarly in the case of KT/Aurier/Foyth it's just a knock on from the "do we need another RB now we've sold KT" question... Who's thread should that go in if it relates to all 3?

I would however fully support a seperate 'links only (no discussion)' trf thread to be 'stickied' for the benefit of those that just want to merely glance over the accumulated tabloid & twitter horseshit.
I’ve no interest in ‘segregating trickle down concerns’ .... ffs

‘organic growth’ ...,, spare me ..., just remove all threads then

Davies/Foyth as starting full backs... not exactly inspiring. Hopefully it'll be solid defensively at least...

Theoretically though, would you have been OK with Foyth and Davies as our fullbacks if it meant balancing our books to acquire Ndombele, Lo Celso, Clarke and Sessegnon whilst retaining Eriksen and Alderweireld?

All speculative of course but we could very easily be looking at the following if rumours are to be believed:

Lloris/ Gazzaniga
Foyth/ Aurier
Alderweireld/ Sanchez
Vertoghen/ Dier
Davies/ Sessegnon
Winks/ Wanyama
Ndombele/ Sissoko
Eriksen/ Lamela
Lo Celso/ Lucas
Dele/ Son
Kane/ Llorente

With players like Walker-Peters, Skipp, Parrott etc offering good HG squad options with Clarke to come in the year after. If Foyth is to become a RB I think it's clear that we need to be looking at reinforcements in our CB area over the next 1-12 months but depth wise in attack I see a lot to get excited about if this is how we end up looking.

Looking at that potential squad it's clear to see why Pochettino values versatility so much with our seasons now potentially facing 60 games.

I’ve no interest in ‘segregating trickle down concerns’ .... ffs

‘organic growth’ ...,, spare me ..., just remove all threads then

I didn't mention "organic growth"...

My post above was a practical look at the situation... I also suggested a please-all solution.

With the utmost respect, if you wanna just throw it back in my face then you're honestly no better than those looking for a cunt off.

Pos reps for post 10
Neg reps for post 4

11-4 now.
This is bigger than Brexit.

In the world of sport, a positive mindset is widely regarded as crucial for success.
Good on Danny for speaking out about mental health problems, his issues with depression and such - I hope he carries that on ... perhaps at another club.

This might ruffle a few feathers as there's a sense of pride in the images of Rose drinking beer after the Ajax win - but should someone suffering from depression be taking depressants?

:kanehand:

If we do sign Lo Celso and Sessengon, and we can into our first game with a matchday squad of

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies
Ndombele - Winks - Lo Celso
Eriksen - Dele
Kane

Gazzaniga, Foyth, Sanchez, Sessengon, Sissoko, Dier, Lucas
I'd be happy. Son is suspended remember.

11-4 now.
This is bigger than Brexit.

In the world of sport, a positive mindset is widely regarded as crucial for success.
Good on Danny for speaking out about mental health problems, his issues with depression and such - I hope he carries that on ... perhaps at another club.

This might ruffle a few feathers as there's a sense of pride in the images of Rose drinking beer after the Ajax win - but should someone suffering from depression be taking depressants?

:kanehand:

I’ve got a lot of time for Rose and his real life issues.
Regarding his love for this club though, not so much.

If we do sign Lo Celso and Sessengon, and we can into our first game with a matchday squad of

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Davies
Ndombele - Winks - Lo Celso
Eriksen - Dele
Kane

Gazzaniga, Foyth, Sanchez, Sessengon, Sissoko, Dier, Lucas
I'd be happy. Son is suspended remember.

Sounds odd but that front three is something I never want to see again

Theoretically though, would you have been OK with Foyth and Davies as our fullbacks if it meant balancing our books to acquire Ndombele, Lo Celso, Clarke and Sessegnon whilst retaining Eriksen and Alderweireld?

All speculative of course but we could very easily be looking at the following if rumours are to be believed:

Lloris/ Gazzaniga
Foyth/ Aurier
Alderweireld/ Sanchez
Vertoghen/ Dier
Davies/ Sessegnon
Winks/ Wanyama
Ndombele/ Sissoko
Eriksen/ Lamela
Lo Celso/ Lucas
Dele/ Son
Kane/ Llorente

With players like Walker-Peters, Skipp, Parrott etc offering good HG squad options with Clarke to come in the year after. If Foyth is to become a RB I think it's clear that we need to be looking at reinforcements in our CB area over the next 1-12 months but depth wise in attack I see a lot to get excited about if this is how we end up looking.

Looking at that potential squad it's clear to see why Pochettino values versatility so much with our seasons now potentially facing 60 games.

Agree with all that.

Whilst agreeing that Lo Celso and Sessegnon seem likely ( based upon ITK, media and every other source) to be coming it would not surprise me at all if another one or two players come - who could fill multiple positions whether another CM (replacing perhaps Wanyama) or a defensive position, and even a 3rd HG GK - to add numbers.

Also think that Skipp should see more minutes this coming season, as might one or two of the youngsters included in preseason squad, as well as KWP getting more minutes.

Since you mention cash, I think our big money signings like Ndombele and if/when Lo Celso are paid for in installments. I very much doubt we are shelling out the whole 60 odd mill for Ndombele in one lump sum and the same will apply to Lo Celso.

So I think we still have plenty of money in the pot to spend and although we have previously tended to break even with our transfer business I believe this summer we should significantly spend more than we recoup
This isn't aimed and you, and someone may have answered this already but fuck it here we go.

Transfers are almost always paid in installments outside of release clauses. So transfer budgets are an amalgamation of cash on hand, debt and other transfer obligations. I believe we still owe Newcastle £6m for Sissoko, for instance. We are also likely still paying off, in no particular order: Sanchez, Moura, Aurier, Ndombele and Clarke. If we buy Sessegnon and Lo Celso, those will also be paid out in installments, likely over the course of 2-5 years depending on the terms and how much cash is agreed to up front.

A lot of the haggling isn't necessarily over the exact fee, but how the fee is paid. That's why it took Woolwich 3 fucking weeks to get Saliba over the line and how Levy was able to throw the whole thing back another week with just a phone call. It is probably is what is dragging out Lo Celso (that and he is on vacation).

Sell-on clauses also complicate things - when is PSG owed the money from the Lo Celso sale? When the transfer is finalized? In how many payments? How does this effect how much Betis needs and when?

This is why most early window signings begin negotiations months in advance. Levy's probably been bothering French Levy about Ndombele for a year, going back and forth, and understanding little by little where things were going to end up with everything worked out. As with everything, its a bit more complicated than most make it out to be.

I didn't mention "organic growth"...

My post above was a practical look at the situation... I also suggested a please-all solution.

With the utmost respect, if you wanna just throw it back in my face then you're honestly no better than someone looking for a cunt off.
Well you mentioned organic debate so it follows you meant the debate had grown organically

I mean you choose to talk in this convoluted patois of your own and I see with that reply how you don’t fail to constantly be in
multiple arguments on multiple threads

Anyhow I’m aware of the paradox of sounding out about off topic posts detracting from threads

Back
Top Bottom