Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really hope and think we're in for Lo Celso regardless of the Eriksen situation.

Watched a weird amount of Betis last season and the dude is a baller. Blistering first yard of pace, immaculate ball control and a wand of a left foot. He also has that weird Messi quality where his left foot is so diverse and his body movement so good that he never actually needs to use his right.

Man City have De Bruyne and the Silva's? We should be thinking to have Eriksen and Lo Celso.

Really hope and think we're in for Lo Celso regardless of the Eriksen situation.

Watched a weird amount of Betis last season and the dude is a baller. Blistering first yard of pace, immaculate ball control and a wand of a left foot. He also has that weird Messi quality where his left foot is so diverse and his body movement so good that he never actually needs to use his right.

Man City have De Bruyne and the Silva's? We should be thinking to have Eriksen and Lo Celso.

Unfortunately I think Lo Celso is only possible if we sell Eriksen because we spent 90% of our transfer budget on Ndombele. On top of that Eriksen refuses to extend his contract and will leave next season for free.

Unfortunately I think Lo Celso is only possible if we sell Eriksen because we spent 90% of our transfer budget on Ndombele. On top of that Eriksen refuses to extend his contract and will leave next season for free.

Our transfer budget is much bigger than you might think, if Eriksen stays another season he's on buttons so that's not an issue, it's only if he signs a new high salary contract that the Lo Celso deal goes away ... fact is Poch is considering a lot of internal reshuffling ... some of which are are bit out-there Son as a WB is being practiced ... honest

The feeling is that for games against park the bus sides we need more attacking options, City and Liverpool win more games by getting past the lesser sides more easily ... that's a big target for us this season ... expect to see a lot more rotation as we use very different line-ups for different games ...

Lloris

Foyth - Dier/Sanchez - Jan

Son - Winks - Eriksen/Sissoko- Sessegnon

Dele - Ndombele

Kane

This full on attacking team is certainly on the cards .... 7-3 anyone?

Last edited:
Overlooking the above misquote, you have the complete wrong end of the stick.

Point all along was that Ben proved good enough to start when Rose was out for 18 months. I didn't so much as imply that he is better/worse than Rose or was keeping him out.

Pffftt yourself.... We both know that you'd reply with an essay and reems of stats if you had a viable retort.

The truth is, the fact that the likes of Davies, Dier and Sissoko can contribute effectively within a side at the top end of the table in a bastard tough league offends your footballing principals.

We both know I could have retorted you to fucking death about the banality of Davies, Dier and Sissoko, and backed it up with stats if I could be arsed, but I couldn't. And please let it be noted, you brought Sissoko into this, not me before I have Sergeant Bazali Bazali of the fucking Sissoko police on my fucking case.

And it's a bit hypocritical for someone who quoted a simple short post of mine pointing out the factual inaccuracies of your previous post with this stat filled essay:

I realise that, but the guy I responded to didn't specify; just said these guys weren't good enough to be regular starters in a top team.

Dier:

15/16 = 37 league starts (+ 13 cups) > 3rd place
16/17 = 34 league starts (+ 12 cups) > 2nd place
17/18 = 31 league starts (+ 12 cups) > 3rd place

Hmmmm... Minutes is NOT the argument at hand.

Davies:

16/17 = 23 league starts (+ 11 cup) > 2nd place
17/18 = 29 league starts (+ 9 cup) > 3rd place

Somewhat mistaken on my part in terms of what year was what, but more than I thought overall.... Majority of league games for TWO seasons in fact.

I'll take your word for it that he faded a little towards the end of 17/18... Players often do towards the end of a season... (The more athletic Walker was getting rested every other game by comparison!)

Over-arching point: How the fuck do we get those finishes with 2 out of 11 regular starters (allegedly) nowhere near good enough?

Davies is an OK LB to have in a squad, Dier is good/Ok as a CB, fucking meh/turgid as a CM, Sissoko is just fucking piss poor at most things, but as I said, teams win leagues, world cups and champions leagues or finish top 4, with all variations of shitty (relatively speaking) players in their midst that are compensated for by numerous other factors (I even gave you a couple of examples - where the fuck is the entire Leicester back 4 now? Greece winning a Euros etc etc)

Over arching point; How the fuck did they do it?

Being part of a successful team (or relatively successful even) is no more a steadfast guarantee of a player's individual quality any more than being part of a really shit team automatically means a player is shit.

When woolwich fans think we ever actually gave a fuck about Saliba.

:pochcmon:

I just hope we made them spend a couple of million more than they planned.

Being one footed is a massive weakness. You see that with Lamela, the way it dictates everything he does and makes him incredibly predictable. Messi has scored loads with his right foot and it's a myth he's one footed.

Lo Celso has many things over Lamela, quicker, can strike a ball better but one footedness will probably limit his effectiveness.

I hope we sign him but for the right price. 60 million seems way over the top. If we sign him and Eriksen signed a new contract, I can see Lamela being moved on loan somewhere before the European window closes. We'll need him to cover while Son's suspended. I think he'll be struggle for a place on the bench after that though.

Our transfer budget is much bigger than you might think, if Eriksen stays another season he's on buttons so that's not an issue, it's only if he signs a new high salary contract that the Lo Celso deal goes away ... fact is Poch is considering a lot of internal reshuffling ... some of which are are bit out-there Son as a WB is being practiced ... honest

The feeling is that for games against park the bus sides we need more attacking options, City and Liverpool win more games by getting past the lesser sides more easily ... that's a big target for us this season ... expect to see a lot more rotation as we use very different line-ups for different games ...

Lloris

Foyth - Dier/Sanchez - Jan

Son - Winks - Eriksen/Sissoko- Sessegnon

Dele - Ndombele

Kane

This full on attacking team is certainly on the cards .... 7-3 anyone?
Swap Ndombele and Eriksen no?

For what it's worth another update that's a non-update ....

Brief conversation last night, more of the same, nothing new to share. We are moving forward on multiple players, not all of whom will sign, contracts are on the table for multiple current players again not all of whom are expected to sign. The one piece of newish news is: we have a salary budget target in our accounts of between 44-52% that means we can spend a huge amount on increased salaries. Salaries are the red-line for all top clubs now not transfer fees, we could spend 300m on transfers if we wanted (we won't) that's well within our financially capability, however if that meant 5 new 60m players each on 10m a year then the wages budget couldn't take it .... plus our squad is large, we would then have too many players to meet EPL and UEFA squad regulations.

Spending another 100m? 150m? that is a very real possibility .... making spaces in the squad is required either through sales or loans. The expectation is that a lot more will happen this summer, however if a few players decide to stay then that expectation of squad changes could rapidly change ...

So in summary - he still knows feck all - but everything behind the scenes remains very positive ....

Its nice to see that Spurs's accountant is happy to post on internet forums.

Seriously, how many people at the club would have information like this - very few is the answer...and those very few would be at a very senior level. Assuming they don't chat with the bloke that cleans the toilets.

Care to bet on that?

No, as I've said before. Gonna be very difficult to shift him because he's overpaid. Plus I think he likes living in London too much. Dumb contract to give out.

If he spends August not involved let's see how much he wants to play football or just sit on his arse and earn 100k a week.

People are free to their own views, and if they want to say a fit Lamela SHOULDN'T be a first team regular, so be it.

But I have no idea how anyone who has watched the Poch era could convince themselves he won't be.
Huh? Are you saying Lamela is a first teamer based off how Poch has played him? Because I hate to tell you but he hasn’t played regularly since Sonny was signed

Messi has scored loads with his right foot and it's a myth he's one footed.
The first part is true and the second, less so. Messi is a very 1 footed player and though he has scored a few with his right they are usually last ditch or 1 touch goals. Messi is not cranking them in from the 'D' with his right foot like true 2 footed players, not remotely.

He is a very 1 footed player but the limitations are not seen because he is so good otherwise. It is starting to tell now as he loses his edge in pace. But he is not tragically 1 footed like Lamela.

Back
Top Bottom