Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure why we are comparing Davies and Rose. From September-December we have 2 international breaks which nearly all our players are affected. Premiership matches every other weekend + Xmas fixtures and 6 CL matches. No one player can play all of those matches and we therefore need 2 players. Do we really want to play KWP at LB or move Vertonghen? If Rose goes he needs to be replaced .

Over-arching point: How the fuck do we get those finishes with 2 out of 11 regular starters (allegedly) nowhere near good enough?

One of footballs omnipresent questions.

How did Leicester win the league with Simpson and Fuchs as FB's? Chelsea with Moses as a RWB?

Davies is certainly no less viable than Rose, but that says as much about the vastly overrated Rose as it does Davies who is a solid but pretty ordinary LB. We were helped in 16/17 by having less Dier plodding about midfield and playing where he is better as a CB, with better players in midfield.

Good coaching, good tactical application, some talented team mates, all of the above.....
[/QUOTE]

You’re mellowing

No Sissoko bashing!!
lol

One of footballs omnipresent questions.

How did Leicester win the league with Simpson and Fuchs as FB's? Chelsea with Moses as a RWB?

Davies is certainly no less viable than Rose, but that says as much about the vastly overrated Rose as it does Davies who is a solid but pretty ordinary LB. We were helped in 16/17 by having less Dier plodding about midfield and playing where he is better as a CB, with better players in midfield.

Good coaching, good tactical application, some talented team mates, all of the above.....

(Please, go back and read the post from Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb I was responding to.)

Comparrisons to Rose have nothing to do with this....

Fergie's many squads weren't wall-to-wall Scholes & Cantona's either.

....Ultimately what works, works (as much as you won't admit this, your post above as good as concedes it anyway). Fuck player snobbery!

Any of you fuckers that expect a squad exclusively comprising world-class players will be banging your heads against a wall for a very long fucking time.

Last edited:
Annoying to miss two targets to the scum but both deals didn't benefit us at all. Developing Cebellos for Real without the option to buy him is desperation and spending a large sum of money on a young defender you then loan back, when you need them ASAP is also fucking stupid. So well played Emry keep it up.

Last edited:
Any of you fuckers that expect a squad exclusively comprising world-class players will be banging your heads against a wall for a very long fucking time.
What we actually want is our best players not to be sold and replaced in the starting 11 by inferior players. Isn't that the very least supporters of a club of our size deserve?

What we actually want is our best players not to be sold and replaced in the starting 11 by inferior players. Isn't that the very least supporters of a club of our size deserve?

We want a better squad of players at the end of a TW than when we went into it.

Sometimes that means we strengthen one position at the expense of another - a normal standard compromise in football and indeed life.

Bore off John....

I addressed this in direct reply to you in the Eriksen thread and you ran a mile without further comment as usual.

Again, "Stop wasting my time".

Not injury prone really, did his knee four years ago, missed most of a season, but has played most of the following three seasons. He is a quality player. If his knee isn't an issue, Betis have got the bargain of the summer at 20m, twelve months ago Liverpool were about to pay 55m.

I have no idea why people aren’t lining up to sign him to be honest

When you stop making pathetic, childish, exaggerated generalisations like this one

Maybe I'll stop calling you out.

You're a self confessed WUM, John....

You blatantly don't even care what my point was... You just saw a way in to drop one of your tired, stock memes.

People exaggerate to underline a point some times.

Why you gone quiet over your prior comments to me about Ben or the sale of Eriksen?

Why....?

Same old, same old, John....

Annoying to miss two targets to the scum but both deals didn't benefit us at all. Developing Cebellos for Real without the option to buy him is desperation and spending a large sum of money on a young defender you then loan back, when you need them ASAP is also fucking stupid. So well played Emry keep it up.
Exactly. Let’s not act like a loan for a player that wants to stay at Madrid and a player we never made an actual bid on are a huge loss outside of Twitter banter.

(Please, go back and read the post from Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb I was responding to.)

Comparrisons to Rose have nothing to do with this....

Fergie's many squads weren't wall-to-wall Scholes & Cantona's either.

....Ultimately what works, works (as much as you won't admit this, your post above as good as concedes it anyway). Fuck player snobbery!

You were responding to his comment about Davies, you called him No1 selection, presumably that is in direct relation to his position in the pecking order of his position, ie v Rose.

As for the rest....pfftttt

There are decent young French centre halves emerging all the time. Last summer Leipzig did brilliantly by signing Konate. We just need to keep an eye on the market and pick up the next one on the conveyor belt.

Big noises around Benoit Badiashile. 6ft4, 18 years old. Already we are being linked with him

Saliba who?
Badiashile is the one I would keep my eye on too. Big talent.

And left-footed. ;)

Last edited:
For what it's worth another update that's a non-update ....

Brief conversation last night, more of the same, nothing new to share. We are moving forward on multiple players, not all of whom will sign, contracts are on the table for multiple current players again not all of whom are expected to sign. The one piece of newish news is: we have a salary budget target in our accounts of between 44-52% that means we can spend a huge amount on increased salaries. Salaries are the red-line for all top clubs now not transfer fees, we could spend 300m on transfers if we wanted (we won't) that's well within our financially capability, however if that meant 5 new 60m players each on 10m a year then the wages budget couldn't take it .... plus our squad is large, we would then have too many players to meet EPL and UEFA squad regulations.

Spending another 100m? 150m? that is a very real possibility .... making spaces in the squad is required either through sales or loans. The expectation is that a lot more will happen this summer, however if a few players decide to stay then that expectation of squad changes could rapidly change ...

So in summary - he still knows feck all - but everything behind the scenes remains very positive ....

You were responding to his comment about Davies, you called him No1 selection, presumably that is in direct relation to his position in the pecking order of his position, ie v Rose.

Overlooking the above misquote, you have the complete wrong end of the stick.

Point all along was that Ben proved good enough to start when Rose was out for 18 months. I didn't so much as imply that he is better/worse than Rose or was keeping him out.

As for the rest....pfftttt

Pffftt yourself.... We both know that you'd reply with an essay and reems of stats if you had a viable retort.

The truth is, the fact that the likes of Davies, Dier and Sissoko can contribute effectively within a side at the top end of the table in a bastard tough league offends your footballing principals.

Btw, these guys all still being sold from underneath Poch?

Run John, run.....

Back
Top Bottom