Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rebuild is needed, Pochettino get some thing wrong but the main shithousery is due to players, Trippier and Sanchez almost every game plays like headless chickens, Dele and Eriksen aren't commited enough, Wanyama and Dier are pretty much done. For me we need to rebuild and the player I think we should retain are Lloris (but bring competition If we can), Vert, Alderweireld, Foyth, Rose, Davies, Winks, Skipp, Sissoko, Son, Kane and Moura. Dele remain a doubt for me. Others could all leave.

Rebuild is needed, Pochettino get some thing wrong but the main shithousery is due to players, Trippier and Sanchez almost every game plays like headless chickens, Dele and Eriksen aren't commited enough, Wanyama and Dier are pretty much done. For me we need to rebuild and the player I think we should retain are Lloris (but bring competition If we can), Vert, Alderweireld, Foyth, Rose, Davies, Winks, Skipp, Sissoko, Son, Kane and Moura. Dele remain a doubt for me. Others could all leave.
Toby is 100 percent gone in the summer.

If we miss Top 4, I now think there is a danger that Poch gets the sack.

He said it himself before. Even if he overachieved, the goal was Top 4 in the new stadium and when it came down to it, he failed at the last hurdle - the hurdle that mattered the most. The mandate he was given, he has not passed. Is it fair? Obviously not, but he cannot say he succeeded and that's what matters.

Furthermore, this isn't the first time we've imploded. If it's true that Levy was prepared to sign someone in January and Poch refused, it puts even more blame on him- even if Levy is to blame for the farcical summer window. Poch might have screwed up his last excuse. For all the wins, we've had a record amount of losses, and now an away loss streak that's the worst in 15 years. For the CL semis (which we've currently lost and look to go out with a whimper), we've had such an awful run of games. Relegation form with the amount of losses we've racked up.

Of course, that shouldn't mean he gets sacked, but the narrative looks bleak. Sprinkle those throughout the season, and you'd say it was all on Levy's failure to back Poch. Ending the season with it, and unfortunately, people aren't going to say "the WC, no signings and injuries", instead it'll be, "you couldn't manage to win 1 extra game in 15, how can you take us forward?".

It's still in our hands, but it doesn't look like Poch has a clue and that is worrying not only for him, but the club too. I may not have the utmost belief in Poch that some on here do, but he deserved to have had some cash to spend and now it appears that that may never come to pass.

For the Levy lovers, no words. This was on the cards the moment the window closed. The journey was different, the result the same. He's the most overrated, overpaid chairman in world football. Let's hope for a miracle because nothing else will get us over the line.

Poch hasn’t got the best out of the players available though.

Lamela, Eriksen, Dele, Dier, Trippier, Rose, Davies, Wanyama, Sanchez and Lloris have all regressed.
Please.....please go on and try and deny that.

Unless people wanted back up for all them, then I’m afraid their demands last season wouldn’t have changed fuck all......unless they think having Martial but no Toby would have seen us playing better. Oh and the LB from a team that’s been relegated for over three weeks already.

Poch is not playing to the players strengths, and he’s strangled their creativity.

Our tactics are shite mate and despite all his interviews he has not instilled one single ounce of belief into this squad.
We were better when we were underdogs....as the big boy, we are shitters.

Spot on

At this stage I’d take an overhaul and transition next season.
It’s gone too far for some of the players, and there’s no way back to the form they displayed in 2016.

Shame it’s all crumbled so early, I thought this squad was a long term one.

Poch get the sack? wtf people smoking.

He deserves a pass even if we finished fucking 10th. He has his faults but his hands have been tied with Levy absolutely royally fucking us.

Poch deserves criticsm for 2 things:

1) takes too long to make changes and has his favourites which is clear.

2) being an enabler to Levys bullshit. I can't think of another manager that would have allowed the constant bullshit.

but getting sacked??? hellllll no. jeez.

Poch get the sack? wtf people smoking.

He deserves a pass even if we finished fucking 10th. He has his faults but his hands have been tied with Levy absolutely royally fucking us.

2) being an enabler to Levys bullshit. I can't think of another manager that would have allowed the constant bullshit.

but getting sacked??? hellllll no. jeez.
Its a weird situation really. A similar collapse in form from any other top 6 manager and only winning the CL would save their job.
But you know, I know, and deep down everyone else on here knows that Poch is not the man responsible for the end of season shit show thats been gradually unfolding before our eyes.

At this stage I’d take an overhaul and transition next season.
It’s gone too far for some of the players, and there’s no way back to the form they displayed in 2016.

Shame it’s all crumbled so early, I thought this squad was a long term one.

As someone here had put it aptly, we didn't strengthen the roof when the sun was shining.

Much to your disappointment I haven't for once thought you were an employee of the club - no person associated with us would ever come out with the level of nonsense or spin that you do. What I think you are is someone devoid of critical thinking, someone who believes following Guardian journalists on twitter makes them informed and someone who likes to name drop scouts and youth coaches to give the impression that they have connections at the club. It's all feelings over facts with you which is why it is so easy to take you apart.

What we do know is that our revenue is already close to £400 million ( it's was £379 million in the last set of accounts) so don't present this as something new. We like most other clubs have increased turnover in the majority of seasons purely due in large parts to the rampant inflation in the broadcast revenues. The club has been in the CL for 4 seasons, has been in a 60,000 + stadium for 2 seasons and in that time our market spend has dramatically reduced but according to Guido this is suddenly going to be reversed at a time when there is no new naming rights deal in place, when the club has entered into a 15 year deal with Nike which by market standards is a poor deal ( which is the Trust brought this up with the club) and where we have £600 million worth of loans that have to be repaid by 2022. The notion that because the stadium is built that our period of austerity is automatically over is just laughable. And the suggestion that the solution is that we get to the CL semi final/final each season is even more so because that is what you are saying because Liverpool who got to the final last season generated £68 million.

We have already increased our payroll - it's moved with increases in our turnover and will most likely always operate at the same ratio as before at around 50-60% of turnover). And no no doubt as the broadcast revenues continue to inflate it will increase again. Listening to you is like listening to an Woolwich supporter talk about the Emirates in 2004 whilst completely ignoring the arrival of the billionaire model. The inflation in broadcast revenues has massively eroded the value of the stadium model because in a market where Gylfi Sigurðsson commands a transfer fee of £45 million what major difference does £50-60 extra matchday revenue provide us capacity wise? The simple fact is that prior to the new stadium and CL revenues we we the 6th biggest club by turnover in the league and with these we will still be that.

I love these meaninglessly buzz words, quantify this 'new level' or this 'new operating environment'. The move to Wembley gave us an indication of our new revenues stream. Is a failure to make a single signing over 2 windows indicative of this new environment? You would think after Woolwich's stadium move we wouldn't be open to blindingly accepting every narrative coming from a board. I have always liked Levy but I knew he was lying through his teeth when he said that the stadium wouldn't effect our market capacity and that there would be separate budgets. No doubt you naive to think that the rationale behind the stadium move was to increase revenue side to benefit the playing side. Anyone with any semblance of intelligence would know that Joe Lewis has no love of football and the target for ENIC was to maximize the return on their investment through developing our infrastructure.
I mention McDermott and Steve Hitchin means I'm trying to make it look like I've got connections at the club!?! Christ alive, what I take from that is you have never heard of them before. FWIW McDermott isn't just an Academy Coach, he heads it up, he's a very important part of the club. Hitchin is our Chief Scout, but what he's been scouting for the past 2 seasons I don't know, I guess we'll see what he's about this summer. You have on several occasions made references to me being PR for Spurs it's the very reason I mentioned it, you idiot.

I know exactly what our revenues are, yet another personal dig you made about only a few days ago was that I have a handle on them!!

I'm NOT presenting the fact we have revenues of near £400m as "new" or a sudden flick of a switch ligt bulb revelation, what on earth gives you that impression? I didn't say our period of austerity is over, that term I guess is subjective dependant on who you speak to and what it means given their expectations of what the club spend and how they generate revenue. What I've said is we will remain a self-financing club, NOTHING will change this (unless we are bought by a new regime that does an Abramovic or City), so we will continue to run the club based on the revenue we generate. I haven't even mentioned the Nike deal as good or bad. I haven't even mentioned stadium naming rights, just on the revenue we now can generate now we are in the new stadium. This revenue includes TV, Commercial, Matchday, CL, etc. That's it.

We have debts, I've acknowledged this but the way we are geared shows that we are in excellent fiscal shape (the debt is half the valuation of the assets and our EBITDA which is considered a proxy for cash operating profit, increased from £122m to £159m, 2nd highest in the league only behind Utd the kings of cash, oh and twice as much a Woolwich!!).

Yes, we had the 6th biggest revenue in the league prior to the stadium being built and YES it is likely we will continue to be the 6th highest revenue producer once it's built actually (currently, not from 2018 accounts) we are ahead of Woolwich making us in 5th but that semantics! BUT the gap is down significantly to Chelsea (approx £40m) and Liverpool (£50m) too. There will be fluctuations against these three teams because the CL places are significant as one gets CL rev whilst another doesn't (that could equate to a £100m swing but has become complex to predict given rejigging of how revenues are now shared). But we are now at the same approx revenue levels as these clubs having been £100-£150m off them for decades, huge difference.

To suggest moving away from Old WHL doesn't give us an impact is utter nonsense as match day income rose £26m (57%), we don't receive concessions at Wembley so I've heard (that may be bollocks but it's the word on the streets say it's so) and we had to pay rent of £12-£15m pa + the ticket prices were less at Wembley than WHL. It's not an over-ambitious thing to say that our match day income will be similar to what Woolwich generate now we are back home, that will be £100m pa from a maxed out £45m - That's double and represents CL level of extra revenue generation!

We haven't operated with these revenues before, revenues comparable to these clubs, that's what is different, that is highly significant. We are now swimming in a different pond.

Our revenue has increased across every single metric (In total a massive 81% (£171m) driven by success on the pitch. Most of the increase has come from broadcasting £90m, but also healthy growth in commercial £50m & match day £30m this matchday, so as mentioned above now we are home there will be further increased on matchday to probably take up to £100m. Revenue growth is the highest of the “Big Six”, both in absolute and percentage terms!

Point of fact, you are completely WRONG about wages, yes they rose (21%) BUT we CUT our wages to turnover from 41% to 39%, a full 11% bellow Utd who had previously had the lowest!! This will no doubt show further increase as a number of new contracts were awarded last year, also I've already stated almost certainly key players we want to keep will no doubt have new deals negotiated. The trend of wage increase will continue to be up but inline of our revenue growth, for now, remains to be seen, no doubt once our revenues stabilize/flatline somewhat wage percentage of turnover will no doubt go up. But for now, you couldn’t be any more wrong.

I haven't for a single moment suggested that ENIC doesn't want to make a return on investment, but now you have OF CAUSE THEY DO YOU FUCKING IDIOT! We didn't buy any players because of a number of most likely factors, Poch choices, availability and a new Stadium overrunning and as a consequence costs going through the roof for every day, it's delayed. I've no idea if it's one of these in the singular or the accumulation of all of them together, only Levy and Poch do.

Now Fuck Off!

Last edited:

3) giving Dele and Eriksen the entitlement to perform however low they want to over the last four years.

4) Abandoning pressing

5) Playing Llorente with zero wingplay

6) Playing Dele CM for a season instead of using Skipp

7) Abandoning KWPs development

8) Using a diamond

9) Playing Eriksen on the halfway line

10) Ruining Davies development to reintroduce Rose who has’nt better bar two games in a year

11) Not integrating Janssen and Llorente over the last 2-3 years

12) Fighting a ref and ending up in the stands at Anfield

I mention McDermott and Steve Hitchin means I'm trying to make it look like I've got connections at the club!?! Christ alive, what I take from that is you have never heard of them before. FWIW McDermott isn't just an Academy Coach, he heads it up, he's a very important part of the club. Hitchin is our Chief Scout, but what he's been scouting for the past 2 seasons I don't know, I guess we'll see what he's about this summer. You have on several occasions made references to me being PR for Spurs it's the very reason I mentioned it, you idiot.

I know exactly what our revenues are, yet another personal dig you made about only a few days ago was that I have a handle on them!!

I'm NOT presenting the fact we have revenues of near £400m as "new" or a sudden flick of a switch ligt bulb revelation, what on earth gives you that impression? I didn't say our period of austerity is over, that term I guess is subjective dependant on who you speak to and what it means given their expectations of what the club spend and how they generate revenue. What I've said is we will remain a self-financing club, NOTHING will change this (unless we are bought by a new regime that does an Abramovic or City), so we will continue to run the club based on the revenue we generate. I haven't even mentioned the Nike deal as good or bad. I haven't even mentioned stadium naming rights, just on the revenue we now can generate now we are in the new stadium. This revenue includes TV, Commercial, Matchday, CL, etc. That's it.

We have debts, I've acknowledged this but the way we are geared shows that we are in excellent fiscal shape (the debt is half the valuation of the assets and our EBITDA which is considered a proxy for cash operating profit, increased from £122m to £159m, 2nd highest in the league only behind Utd the kings of cash, oh and twice as much a Woolwich!!).

Yes, we had the 6th biggest revenue in the league prior to the stadium being built and YES it is likely we will continue to be the 6th highest revenue producer once it's built actually (currently, not from 2018 accounts) we are ahead of Woolwich making us in 5th but that semantics! BUT the gap is down significantly to Chelsea (approx £40m) and Liverpool (£50m) too. There will be fluctuations against these three teams because the CL places are significant as one gets CL rev whilst another doesn't (that could equate to a £100m swing but has become complex to predict given rejigging of how revenues are now shared). But we are now at the same approx revenue levels as these clubs having been £100-£150m off them for decades, huge difference.

To suggest moving away from Old WHL doesn't give us an impact is utter nonsense as match day income rose £26m (57%), we don't receive concessions at Wembley so I've heard (that may be bollocks but it's the word on the streets say it's so) and we had to pay rent of £12-£15m pa + the ticket prices were less at Wembley than WHL. It's not an over-ambitious thing to say that our match day income will be similar to what Woolwich generate now we are back home, that will be £100m pa from a maxed out £45m - That's double and represents CL level of extra revenue generation!

We haven't operated with these revenues before, revenues comparable to these clubs, that's what is different, that is highly significant. We are now swimming in a different pond.

Our revenue has increased across every single metric (In total a massive 81% (£171m) driven by success on the pitch. Most of the increase has come from broadcasting £90m, but also healthy growth in commercial £50m & match day £30m this matchday, so as mentioned above now we are home there will be further increased on matchday to probably take up to £100m. Revenue growth is the highest of the “Big Six”, both in absolute and percentage terms!

Point of fact, you are completely WRONG about wages, yes they rose (21%) BUT we CUT our wages to turnover from 41% to 39%, a full 11% bellow Utd who had previously had the lowest!! This will no doubt show further increase as a number of new contracts were awarded last year, also I've already stated almost certainly key players we want to keep will no doubt have new deals negotiated. The trend of wage increase will continue to be up but inline of our revenue growth, for now, remains to be seen, no doubt once our revenues stabilize/flatline somewhat wage percentage of turnover will no doubt go up. But for now, you could be any more wrong.

I haven't for a single moment suggested that ENIC doesn't want to make a return on investment, but now you have OF CAUSE THEY DO YOU FUCKING IDIOT! We didn't buy any players because of a number of most likely factors, Poch choices, availability and a new Stadium overrunning and as a consequence costs going through the roof for every day, it's delayed. I've no idea if it's one of these in the singular or the accumulation of all of them together, only Levy and Poch do.

Now Fuck Off!

Brilliant post, not sure about the slagging of each other but I understand the passion.

Anyway, there are lots of positives, to be where we are in a season like this is amazing, the facts are we will be 4th after this weekend at worst, depending on results of cause but 3rd or 4th is where we will be, beat Everton and its all ok, this was a huge transitional year, as the guy above in the quote stated we are going to be operating on another level, we are about to enter a period of unimaginable success, I feel it coming, Poch had his hands tied with signings, the stadium issues, playing in 3 different grounds for home matches this year and yet we are in a Semi of the CL and whether we finish in the top 4 or not is still in our hands.

The summer will be the moment where we see how things will change, we need to freshen up the squad, get rid of some dead-weight, bring in some magic and go again.

Back
Top Bottom