Acceptable netspend this summer ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You’re not Spurs. No true Spurs is this thick and entitled. Not even a good troll anymore

It’s telling that nobody isn’t arguing how good Dele is though this season.
You also don’t be think he’ll be an 18 goal a season player.....otherwise you’d have said so.

You’re so hopelessly thick - it beggars belief
I think we’re done.....was genuinely quite nice communicating properly with you for a few months, but if this is how you address anything that doesn’t say “Dele is better than Messi” then we can’t debate.

I’ll respond to you when you either get back on the meds, or stop taking them. One of them is not good for you.

Net spend for net spend’s sake is silly - it proves nothing. It’s quite obvious that the important thing is who you spend it on. It could be both a good and a bad thing. Look at Brighton, look at Utd. It needs to be looked at in context.

I’m absolutely not against spending money that we have. I am against wasting money on benchwarmers.

Exactly right - it's who you buy and how many, look at the number of new players bought in to Fulham, they never coped with the transition.

We need to add gradually and improve incrementally, the idea we buy 4 or 5 players is concerning because you have to give them time, a fair bit of it and that means sacrificing results, which I am guessing none of us would accept either.

Also I find the 'net spend' argument a little bit of a red herring, I was listening to a podcast who made the point that Alexis Sanchez was possibly the most expensive signing for Man United of all time, why? Because the wage level he was offered meant other players would demand parity or an increase in line with that player's wage, so an ongoing cost of millions of pounds, a set of overpaid players who are unsaleable and a team that under performs. Perhaps a salient reason why anyone would struggle to manage the side.

The amount we spend is an irrelevance when compared to creating a sustainable squad that has the depth to handle the games at the business end of the season. We're not there yet and it will take more than next season to get to that point, it takes a long time to be an overnight success.

Actually that does pose another question, would you accept next season as transitional, winning nothing, no Euroean competition, if it meant that we developed a team/squad that could mount a serious challenge on all fronts?

You also don’t be think he’ll be an 18 goal a season player.....otherwise you’d have said so.

I think we’re done.....was genuinely quite nice communicating properly with you for a few months, but if this is how you address anything that doesn’t say “Dele is better than Messi” then we can’t debate.

I’ll respond to you when you either get back on the meds, or stop taking them. One of them is not good for you.
Who said he’s better than Messi?

You don’t sell a player this good after a few shit games. Wtf is this - FM?

The level of double think by some on here is quite something. We cannot compete for major honours due to other teams net spend but seemingly this is an unimportant factor when it’s comes to our recruitment process.

If we sold Lamela and Trippier for 45M and bought Ndombele for 40M would you not think we had improved?

I'll ask again. If Dele isn't good enough how is anyone gonna pay the 75-100million you suggest we sell him for?
And if Grealish is better, surely clubs who have scouts with far more football knowledge than us two would use their 75-100 million on him instead.

I'll ask again. If Dele isn't good enough how is anyone gonna pay the 75-100million you suggest we sell him for?
And if Grealish is better, surely clubs who have scouts with far more football knowledge than us two would use their 75-100 million on him instead.

Errr was Andy Carrol worth 35M at the time?
Is Pogba worth 90M? Is Lukaku worth 75M?

What? You think Dele and his agent will go somewhere for the 15M fee he looks like right now?

Don’t be deliberately silly John, I know you understand the game.

Here’s how it works. Dempsey and Siggy cost us probably 30M.
Dele came in for 5M and for two seasons was 1000 times the player they were.

Are you saying that’s impossible because he was cheaper? Just stop it.

Actually that does pose another question, would you accept next season as transitional, winning nothing, no Euroean competition, if it meant that we developed a team/squad that could mount a serious challenge on all fronts?

Yes, but if we fall out of the top 4 I think Poch would call it a day.

Errr was Andy Carrol worth 35M at the time?
Is Pogba worth 90M? Is Lukaku worth 75M?

What? You think Dele and his agent will go somewhere for the 15M fee he looks like right now?

Don’t be deliberately silly John, I know you understand the game.

Here’s how it works. Dempsey and Siggy cost us probably 30M.
Dele came in for 5M and for two seasons was 1000 times the player they were.

Are you saying that’s impossible because he was cheaper? Just stop it.
Oh I understand the game as well as you.

And the game is that Dele would command a far higher transfer fee than Grealish because he's a better, more talented, more proven player.

Selling Dele and replacing him with grealish wouldn't improve the team. And the respective transfer values back that up.

Last edited:
Bizarre comments by some posters but hey ho, the nature of the beast.

My observations for what they are worth.

1. I hope Eriksen and Alderweireld stay. Both or neither will. Replacing them adequately will be very hard.

2. Talk of moving Alli on is unbelievable. Poor season but nothing other than a quality player.

3. Five players have got us to this point this season. Son, Kane, Sissoko, Alderweireld and Winks. All others flitted in and out too much.

4. Our squad, because of the sheer number of injuries has overachieved, especially if we get top. 4. Getting to thr semi-final at least of the CL is beyond our expectation.

5. The performance levels of our players has been affected by a lack of competition.

6. We need to act quickly in the summer transfer window, be clever in our dealings and I think add 4 or 5 net players of the right quality and temperament.

Oh I understand the game as well you.

And the game is that Dele would command a far higher transfer fee than Grealish because he's a better, more talented, more proven player.

Selling Dele and replacing him with grealish wouldn't improve the team. And the respective transfer values back that up.

And as I said, that wasn’t the case when Dele was a little kid playing in the third division.

So how come he was only 5M when he was better than PL proven players like Siggurdsson, and Dempsey.

It’s also regarded by every player at the club that Dembele was the best player and most difficult opponent you could wish to face.
8M......does that make Pogba 11 times better than Dembele?

You know it doesn’t work like that, why are you even bothering?
The only thing that matters is that Grealish comes in and improves our attack.
Fuck me, even Janssen has done that in 20 minutes this week.

A sensible response, nicely done.

Edit - I was talking about Notabadsquad’s post

The lack of competiveness in the squad, coupled with injuries has really done us in.

If levy doesn’t invest properly this summer, then all hope of being a serious club (that actually win a a trophy) will be gone. He will just be lining his pockets

Me too but I think a lot of folk would struggle, it would mean we'd have to take losses and that means having to lower expectations, I don't think our fans are patient enough for that.
Well we’ve taken plenty of defeats this season and the natives are already restless despite league position and CL progression, so yes, I agree.

If we sold Lamela and Trippier for 45M and bought Ndombele for 40M would you not think we had improved?

I wouldn’t know until I knew we hadn’t been disadvantaged by those sales and until Ndombele had proven to be a success.

And that’s not relevant to the point here - I have continually asked why Liverpool have managed to overtake us and all I hear about is about net spend ( which I think is a nonsense given that few of their last summer signings have impressed ) only for the same people to claim that this isn’t a factor when it comes to ourselves. Funny that.

Last edited:
I hope Eriksen stays, so that means our spend will be lower. There are some good deals to be had, if we can get them; Brandt, Rabiot, Grealish.

We'll likely have to fork out for a LB / RB replacement.

Back
Top Bottom