Acceptable netspend this summer ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He hasn't had a great season, but yesterday was the first time he's genuinely been out and out shit.

He's had the two hamstring injuries and a broken hand to boot. Hasn't exactly been lucky.

If he’s fit he fit though right?
It wasn’t a hamstring that made him not pass to Son for a tap in.
It’s on Poch too, but ultimately it’s Dele out there playing poorly.

I wouldn’t know until I knew we hadn’t been disadvantaged by those sales and until Ndombele had proven to be a success.

And that’s not relevant to the point here - I have continually asked why Liverpool have managed to overtake us and all I hear about is about net spend ( which I think is a nonsense given that few of their last summer signings have impressed ) only for the same people to claim that this isn’t a factor when it comes to ourselves. Funny that.

Yeah all we get is examples of poor use of transfer funds when discussing a positive net spend for Spurs and complete failure to address the succesful spending of premier league clubs or the fact that if clubs like Man U hadn't spent they'd be even worse , its clear Spurs have been successful in the transfer market more often than not in the last 10 years without actually spending a penny so why do people assume that we wouldnt become better in the transfer window if the money we spent in the transfer window was not all money generated from player sales ?

Exactly right - it's who you buy and how many, look at the number of new players bought in to Fulham, they never coped with the transition.

We need to add gradually and improve incrementally, the idea we buy 4 or 5 players is concerning because you have to give them time, a fair bit of it and that means sacrificing results, which I am guessing none of us would accept either.

Also I find the 'net spend' argument a little bit of a red herring, I was listening to a podcast who made the point that Alexis Sanchez was possibly the most expensive signing for Man United of all time, why? Because the wage level he was offered meant other players would demand parity or an increase in line with that player's wage, so an ongoing cost of millions of pounds, a set of overpaid players who are unsaleable and a team that under performs. Perhaps a salient reason why anyone would struggle to manage the side.

The amount we spend is an irrelevance when compared to creating a sustainable squad that has the depth to handle the games at the business end of the season. We're not there yet and it will take more than next season to get to that point, it takes a long time to be an overnight success.

Actually that does pose another question, would you accept next season as transitional, winning nothing, no Euroean competition, if it meant that we developed a team/squad that could mount a serious challenge on all fronts?
Agree with all of this apart from the myth of a squad capable of competing on all fronts, that too is a red herring. I mean even City & PSG are out of the competition they both covert most, a competition that was their primary target (I say "even" City & PSG as they clearly are unique given they are backed by sovereign wealth and City might well be found guilty of fraud).

We have already stated that our focus is CL and Prem, the squad will be built for challenging these two competitions. As a consequence, we might by default or luck get to one of the others.

I wouldn’t know until I knew we hadn’t been disadvantaged by those sales and until Ndombele had proven to be a success.

And that’s not relevant to the point here - I have continually asked why Liverpool have managed to overtake us and all I hear about is about net spend ( which I think is a nonsense given that few of their last summer signings have impressed ) only for the same people to claim that this isn’t a factor when it comes to ourselves. Funny that.
I don't recall people pointing to Liverpool rise this season as "net spend". The narrative has been they bought well, chose their targets to fill the holes in their squad.

Now there is some debate about this as only a couple of who they bought have worked out, Van Dijk, Allison being the main two that have, the others have yet to stamp a claim on their position in the team Fabinho only in the last month has turned in a good game, Oxlaide-Chamblin hasn't played, Keita still waiting, Sharquiri Janssen has more mins this month.

If there was any scoffing at the money then it was what they paid for van Dijk and Allisson.

But if you were a Liverpool supporter you would of course be absolutely apoplectic because they binned off the FA Cup and the Kangeroo Cup to focus on the League that they still aren't favourites to win.

I don't recall people pointing to Liverpool rise this season as "net spend". The narrative has been they bought well, chose their targets to fill the holes in their squad.

Now there is some debate about this as only a couple of who they bought have worked out, Van Dijk, Allison being the main two that have, the others have yet to stamp a claim on their position in the team Fabinho only in the last month has turned in a good game, Oxlaide-Chamblin hasn't played, Keita still waiting, Sharquiri Janssen has more mins this month.

If there was any scoffing at the money then it was what they paid for van Dijk and Allisson.

But if you were a Liverpool supporter you would of course be absolutely apoplectic because they binned off the FA Cup and the Kangeroo Cup to focus on the League that they still aren't favourites to win.

Then your recall is extremely poor because that has been the position for many since last summer - even our own manager has echoed that sentiment. I know because I have challenged that countless times noting the reason is the difference between Klopp and Pochettino and have been carded for it.

And they didn’t buy well - Keith and Fabino have done little in a Liverpool shirt, whilst Alisson has been good, nothing more than that. Arguably their most successful singing last year was Shaqiri who is a squad player.

I have made this point numerous times but it’s routinely gets ignored because it doesn’t fit our victim narrative it’s all about how we cannot compete with that level of expenditure and that is the sole reason for us falling behind them.

Last few games?

You told me two years ago I wanted Dele and Eriksen sold and I hated them.....now I only hated them for a few weeks

LOL
Haha, you can fuck off. Dele's struggled with injuries all season, yet whenever he's played we've looked a lot more dangerous. Eriksen's had a poor period, but was finding form. You just can't wait for them to make a mistake so you can jump on them. You talk about eye tests and watching games and their influences on them, but then judge Dele solely on his goals and assists on transfermarkt. Just quit it, when was the last time you wrote something positive on here? Even when Eriksen scored a late banger to win us 3 points you probably couldn't get yourself to cheer

If he’s fit he fit though right?
It wasn’t a hamstring that made him not pass to Son for a tap in.
It’s on Poch too, but ultimately it’s Dele out there playing poorly.

It’s more that he’s fit ‘enough’.

If we had anything resembling a bench, he’d be sat on it. Our situation is a combination of mistakes and misfortune.

We simply need more players.

Then your recall is extremely poor because that has been the position for many since last summer - even our own manager has echoed that sentiment. I know because I have challenged that countless times noting the reason is the difference between Klopp and Pochettino and have been carded for it.

And they didn’t buy well - Keith and Fabino have done little in a Liverpool shirt, whilst Alisson has been good, nothing more than that. Arguably their most successful singing last year was Shaqiri who is a squad player.

I have made this point numerous times but it’s routinely gets ignored because it doesn’t fit our victim narrative it’s all about how we cannot compete with that level of expenditure and that is the sole reason for us falling behind them.
As I said, the narrative has been about them choosing their targets not their net spend. Which is what I called out in your post.

And you seem to agree with me with their signings. I still will always give a player until their 2nd season until they can be claimed a success or failure so, cut through the hype and BS and I thought Wijnaldum was ave last year but this year he's made significant progress and can rightfully claim his place in that squad without being a superstar (not everyone has to be in a functioning team). Obviously, Salah has worked out but for me, their best two buys have been Gomez and Robertson, I appreciate Gomez is subjective because he's out with injury but I genuinely believe he's a better footballer (better with the ball at his feet, more technical) than van Dijke.

Your carding of the managers for binning off the kangaroo cup to focus on CL and prem is an utter piss take and lacks any logical sense, but for the love of God don't bang on about it AGAIN, we know your position and it's as boring as fuck. (I think I mentioned the war and got away with it).

As I said, the narrative has been about them choosing their targets not their net spend. Which is what I called out in your post.

And you seem to agree with me with their signings. I still will always give a player until their 2nd season until they can be claimed a success or failure so, cut through the hype and BS and I thought Wijnaldum was ave last year but this year he's made significant progress and can rightfully claim his place in that squad without being a superstar (not everyone has to be in a functioning team). Obviously, Salah has worked out but for me, their best two buys have been Gomez and Robertson, I appreciate Gomez is subjective because he's out with injury but I genuinely believe he's a better footballer (better with the ball at his feet, more technical) than van Dijke.

Your carding of the managers for binning off the kangaroo cup to focus on CL and prem is an utter piss take and lacks any logical sense, but for the love of God don't bang on about it AGAIN, we know your position and it's as boring as fuck. (I think I mentioned the war and got away with it).

But the narrative hasn’t been about them choosing their targets - at all. It’s about their spend last summer - it’s been that in the press and the media and it’s been parroted on here to explain why they are 21 points ahead of us this season. And my previous card reference has nothing to do with the domestic cups - seriously how on earth have you brought this into that. The point was my explanation as to how Liverpool have massively moved ahead of us is due to Klopp being a superior manager to Pochettino - which is a cardable offense on here..

As I have said I don’t believe simply spending is the only solution - United show that more is required that simply that , it is about how those resources are utilised. I’m simply highlighting the gross hypocrisy of those who continually reference others clubs financial spend in relation to our inability to secure honours only to then claim we do not need to engage in such an activity. You cannot have it both ways.

My whole argument for the past 4 seasons is about the disconnect between our playing squad and our resources. About how we have acquired an elite square despite not having an elite revenue base. That without such financial capacity this isn’t sustainable as its requires a extremely high level of scouting and recruitment and needs to be capitalised on. What makes you worse than the others is that you read the financials so you must know our position - that our capacity remains unchanged even with the new stadium. I can understand those who believe that this club can transition to an elite one but when you have the information at hand and still go along with this belief then it is just blatant dishonesty.

Last edited:
It’s not about how much we spend, it’s about spending wisely. :levyeyes:
Yes. Although better players tend to command higher transfer fees than inferior ones. Cheap, young prospects may develop into high value superstars, but if you want a top class player to make an immediate impact, you usually have to pay for it.
Something we've been reluctant to do .

But the narrative hasn’t been about them choosing their targets - at all. It’s about their spend last summer - it’s been that in the press and the media and it’s been parroted on here to explain why they are 21 points ahead of us this season. And my previous card reference has nothing to do with the domestic cups - seriously how on earth have you brought this into that. The point was my explanation as to how Liverpool have massively moved ahead of us is due to Klopp being a superior manager to Pochettino - which is a cardable offense on here..

As I have said I don’t believe simply spending is the only solution - United show that more is required that simply that , it is about how those resources are utilised. I’m simply highlighting the gross hypocrisy of those who continually reference others clubs financial spend in relation to our inability to secure honours only to then claim we do not need to engage in such an activity. You cannot have it both ways.

My whole argument for the past 4 seasons is about the disconnect between our playing squad and our resources. About how we have acquired an elite square despite not having an elite revenue base. That without such financial capacity this isn’t sustainable as its requires a extremely high level of scouting and recruitment and needs to be capitalised on. What makes you worse than the others is that you read the financials so you must know our position - that our capacity remains unchanged even with the new stadium. I can understand those who don’t believing that this club can transition to an elite one but when you have the information at hand and still go along with this belief then it is just blatant dishonesty.
What the fuck are you on about? I'm not having it both ways.

Net spend isn't the narrative of Liverpool, it's been they've targeted correctly. I, on the whole, disagree with this statement, I think they have been just as hit and miss with their signings as any other club, in any other year, the hits have made the difference though. Because of this the narrative is ever present and gets repeated so people believe it to be true.

I haven't entertained the notion that Klopp is a bad manager, I think he's an excellent manager. I don't think he's better than Poch. Both have plus and minus points that can be debated until the cows come home. I think there are other managers within the PL that might do just as good a job as either if they were given the opportunity to manage either club (Sari, Benítez, Espírito Santo, Hasenhuttl to name just a handful in the PL, double that number in Europe) BUT I would swap Poch for any of them.

I simply do not get your take on my ability to understand where we are as a club because I read the financials???

Yes. Although better players tend to command higher transfer fees than inferior ones. Cheap, young prospects may develop into high value superstars, but if you want a top class player to make an immediate impact, you usually have to pay for it.
Something we've been reluctant to do .
What this team needs is a leader on the pitch, someone who would have got us through the 2nd half yesterday, we have drifted out of to many games this season and threw away to many leads

The level of double think by some on here is quite something. We cannot compete for major honours due to other teams net spend but seemingly this is an unimportant factor when it’s comes to our recruitment process.
I know right. City & Liverpool have just bought there way to the top but also spending isn't important & can actually cause problems for you.

Shut up. Everybody knows city rose to the top via clever buys not because of net spend!

What the fuck are you on about? I'm not having it both ways.

Net spend isn't the narrative of Liverpool, it's been they've targeted correctly. I, on the whole, disagree with this statement, I think they have been just as hit and miss with their signings as any other club, in any other year, the hits have made the difference though. Because of this the narrative is ever present and gets repeated so people believe it to be true.

I haven't entertained the notion that Klopp is a bad manager, I think he's an excellent manager. I don't think he's better than Poch. Both have plus and minus points that can be debated until the cows come home. I think there are other managers within the PL that might do just as good a job as either if they were given the opportunity to manage either club (Sari, Benítez, Espírito Santo, Hasenhuttl to name just a handful in the PL, double that number in Europe) BUT I would swap Poch for any of them.

I simply do not get your take on my ability to understand where we are as a club because I read the financials???

That's simply not true because they haven't targeted correctly have they? Fabio and Keita haven't produced and have had spells out of the squad, whilst Allison has been nothing more than decent. Why would the narrative be about how they have targeted correctly when virtually none of those players have contributed to their improvement this season? Their existing players have stepped up a level - no one in the media is referencing those players - it is about the likes of Mane, Van Dijk and Salah, it is about how Klopp was financially supported last year - it is about the spend.

As for Klopp, well I think it is quite clear that he is a level of above Pochettino - compare their respective careers and just look how they have progressed beyond us despite the squads now being comparable. Klop's is the driver behind their improvement this season because it is largely the same team as last season.

With regards to the financials - well in this thread you subscribe to the notion that the domestic cups are not a pririoty, that the focus in your view is rightly on the PL and CL. Fine but why - outline the reason - should we expect the club to be winning league titles or European cups now? And why have't we won those tournaments yet? Or if this isn't about silverware what are the other reasons as to why we should be prioritizing these?

Back
Top Bottom