Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mate, learn some basic spelling and grammar.
“Some people on here make me piss” Guess the nationality? I’m guessing English with a hard on for American forensic crime shows, with an overbearing girlfriend - or more likely - mother.

I hate the way thick English people incorporate American slang into their posts - they can’t think for themselves, so they import all the cliches and off the shelf phrases they can to save themselves thinking time at the expense of the originality of which they are incapable. You’ve only got to look at “it does exactly what it says on the tin” on any Amazon review that’s out there. This mundane phrase has literally invaded people’s brains and passes (these days) for wit.

I’m really pissed about this. (Kill me).

Last edited:
Apologies John, but you did seem to dismiss Sammy’s point as conjecture and your point as fact. The truth is that none of us can possibly know, but some have a better idea than others.

Personally, I would have laughed in your face if you’d told me we would be a top 3 side and playing regularly in the CL. Really, I would have. The idea was so ridiculous to contemplate back then.

Don’t get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed it then. Getting tickets was easy, Spurs’ place in the worldwide footballing hierarchy wasn’t something I contemplated on a daily basis, and it was a laugh.

I quite like our new position at the top table, but for me there’s something missing. Why you’re disappointed I’ve got no idea. We’re actually becoming the club you think we are.
What is missing in my opinion is the camaraderie of us lifers. As you say, the people that went were die hards, even in half empty grounds, sung until they were hoarse and had no expectations beyond a good cup run. Now it’s half and half scarves and day trippers, diluted atmospheres if you like. To that end, we are victims of our success because a large attraction to the club is now based on how competitive we are with the traditional giants of English football. And by that I mean the clubs that have dominated rather than win the odd title/trophy.
We have the infrastructure in place to regularly challenge, & become a giant.
That part is great, but the missing part needs addressing whatever that is.

Basically the longer you are in the CL year after year the more money you make off of it.

There's surely something similar for the Europa as well.

Yes, and the good thing is that if we continue to qualify we climb the rankings. Plus the likes of Chelsea, Utd, Woolwich, whoever misses out, falls. Though they get points for the Europa, of course. Makes the Europa more important.

Yes, and the good thing is that if we continue to qualify we climb the rankings. Plus the likes of Chelsea, Utd, Woolwich, whoever misses out, falls. Though they get points for the Europa, of course. Makes the Europa more important.
If the CL does expand the group stage to 8 teams per group it will be a bit moot you'd think. Since it would essentially become us, Arse, Dippers, City, United and Chavs drawing straws each year over who gets to fight off Wolves and Everton each year.

“Some people on here make me piss” Guess the nationality? I’m guessing English with a hard on for American forensic crime shows, with an overbearing girlfriend - or more likely - mother.

I hate the way thick English people incorporate American slang into their posts - they can’t think for themselves, so they import all the cliches and off the shelf phrases they can to save themselves thinking time or the originality of which they are incapable. You’ve only got to look at “it does exactly what it says on the tin” on any Amazon review that’s out there. This mundane phrase has literally invaded people’s brains and passes (these days) for wit.

Joe Clash...does exactly what it says on the tin...

If the CL does expand the group stage to 8 teams per group it will be a bit moot you'd think. Since it would essentially become us, Arse, Dippers, City, United and Chavs drawing straws each year over who gets to fight off Wolves and Everton each year.

True but it's a few seasons away if it ever even happens. I prefer the scenario where Wolves overtake Woolwich, and Woolwich slide into oblivion. Then I'll be happy to move to six teams qualifying.

Joe Clash...does exactly what it says on the tin...
Fuck off Arty. I saw your review of a chair - you were unsure of how to use it because it didn’t come in a tin, and a photo of the new stadium wouldn’t have been appropriate - although that’s never stopped you before.

Stick to bitching about passports you bitter man.

I hate the way thick English people incorporate American slang into their posts - they can’t think for themselves, so they import all the cliches and off the shelf phrases they can to save themselves thinking time or the originality of which they are incapable. You’ve only got to look at “it does exactly what it says on the tin” on any Amazon review that’s out there. This mundane phrase has literally invaded people’s brains and passes (these days) for wit.

You be like mad yo Joe bro

Fuck off Arty. I saw your review of a chair - you were unsure of how to use it because it didn’t come in a tin, and a photo of the new stadium wouldn’t have been appropriate - although that’s never stopped you before.

Stick to bitching about passports you bitter man.
Never change mate....

How do you know that, Sammy? Thats just hypothetical nonsense.
Different owners may have secured a league title or two in the last 20 years. Maybe we'd have won a few FA cups or European trophies. like we used to. . Maybe redeveloped WHL a decade ago.
Or maybe not.
But pretty much anybody could have improved a club like Tottenham Hotspur, with its rich History and European pedigree from the position we were in at the turn of the century
You said to me before that you thought Sugar did a decent job.

Except we were languishing around 14th without Daniel Levy.
Yes. And that was my point.
It was nearly 20 years ago. 20 years before that we were winning back to back FA cups. When it was among the most prestigious competions in club football. Followed up a couple of years later with European glory.
And that was without Daniel Levy.

So. You make my point for me. Thanks. Sammys statement of fact that we would still be a bottom half club without Levy is pure bollocks. He doesn't know that. Neither do you and neither do I

Yes. And that was my point.
It was nearly 20 years ago. 20 years before that we were winning back to back FA cups. When it was among the most prestigious competions in club football. Followed up a couple of years later with European glory.
And that was without Daniel Levy.

So. You make my point for me. Thanks. Sammys statement of fact that we would still be a bottom half club without Levy is pure bollocks. He doesn't know that. Neither do you and neither do I
Nope, your point is, anyone could have gotten Spurs back to their glory days.

But Scholar and Sugar couldn't.

So your statement is wrong.

Sammys statement of fact that we would still be a bottom half club without Levy is pure bollocks. He doesn't know that. Neither do you and neither do I
So when Sammy makes a statement of fact, you take issue. But you make a statement of fact that is provably false, ''pretty much anybody could have improved a club like Tottenham Hotspur'', suddenly it's ok?

What we do know for fact, is that the we were a bottom half club before he arrived. So therefore, one can make a more educated guess, that we would have stayed there under alternative stewardship.

Levy improved Spurs exponentially. This is also a fact.

Before Levy, Spurs hadn't come in the top 2 in English football since 1963. Another fact.

Apologies John, but you did seem to dismiss Sammy’s point as conjecture and your point as fact. The truth is that none of us can possibly know, but some have a better idea than others.

Personally, I would have laughed in your face if you’d told me we would be a top 3 side and playing regularly in the CL. Really, I would have. The idea was so ridiculous to contemplate back then.

Don’t get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed it then. Getting tickets was easy, Spurs’ place in the worldwide footballing hierarchy wasn’t something I contemplated on a daily basis, and it was a laugh.

I quite like our new position at the top table, but for me there’s something missing. Why you’re disappointed I’ve got no idea. We’re actually becoming the club you think we are.
Apology accepted Joe.
In fact I sympathise with a lot of your frustration and bewilderment at the state of the modern game.
It's a sad indictment when football fans start measuring success by the profit margins and financial acumen of the board rather than trophies and titles won on the pitch.
Our own fans are as guilty as any if this forum is anything to go by.

10th in the Deloitte money league means nothing to me. Seeing Kane lift an FA cup or PL title is what would get me nice and moist.

Apology accepted Joe.
In fact I sympathise with a lot of your frustration and bewilderment at the state of the modern game.
It's a sad indictment when football fans start measuring success by the profit margins and financial acumen of the board rather than trophies and titles won on the pitch.
Our own fans are as guilty as any if this forum is anything to go by.

10th in the Deloitte money league means nothing to me. Seeing Kane lift an FA cup or PL title is what would get me nice and moist.
Actually, it's you that brings up profit margins more than anyone else.

You know what is on pitch improvement? Playing in the Champions League. Being one of the top 2 football sides in the country. Beating the Real Madrid's, the Inter Milan's, The Borussia Dortmund's.

You've been proven wrong beyond all comprehension by Levy's stewardship of the club.

We are now one of the biggest club's in the world. Actually. Rather than your nostalgic fantasy based on past glories. We are physically there. We have the greatest infrastructure in English football, or even the World.

You would have happily sacrificed that for a single F.A. Cup.

The Money League may mean nothing to you, because you admittedly don't understand it. But there is a direct parallel between the most successful clubs and that list.

You've been wrong from day dot with Levy.

So when Sammy makes a statement of fact, you take issue.
We would still be languishing in 14th without Levy is not a statement of fact. He doesn't know that. Neither do us two.
I'll give you a statement of fact.

Nobody on this forum can say what position this club will be in in the year 2037.
The same time frame from when Levy became chairman.

That's a statement of fact.

We would still be languishing in 14th without Levy is not a statement of fact. He doesn't know that. Neither do us two.

Nobody on this forum can say what position this club will be in in the year 2037.

*facepalm*

You called it a statement of fact...

Sammys statement of fact

I was following your rhetoric.

It is. It's also called fence sitting, pussy footing or ambiguity.

Making an ambiguous statement don't make you clever.

What you can do, is gather the evidence of where the club is currently to make an educated guess for the future.

That's what Sammy did. You then called it a statement of fact.

Don't panic...to bring the likes of chelsea, united and Woolwich back into the ranks more often they're talking about expanding the group stages to 8 teams...meaning that finishing in the top 6 will now qualify...Champions league, they're having a laugh...
Seriously? I mean that's good for us since we are part of the top 6, but if it wasn't difficult to break into the top 6 in the Premier league now for Everton, Wolves, etc.. then this would make it nearly impossible.

Back
Top Bottom