Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

“Some people on here make me piss” Guess the nationality? I’m guessing English with a hard on for American forensic crime shows, with an overbearing girlfriend - or more likely - mother.

I hate the way thick English people incorporate American slang into their posts - they can’t think for themselves, so they import all the cliches and off the shelf phrases they can to save themselves thinking time or the originality of which they are incapable. You’ve only got to look at “it does exactly what it says on the tin” on any Amazon review that’s out there. This mundane phrase has literally invaded people’s brains and passes (these days) for wit.

I’m really pissed about this. (Kill me).
I agree. Put another shrimp on the barbie and all that. You tell em, Joe.
:levyeyes:

It is. It's also called fence sitting, pussy footing or ambiguity.

Making an ambiguous statement don't make you clever.

What you can do, is gather the evidence of where the club is currently to make an educated guess for the future.

That's what Sammy did. You then called it a statement of fact.

What was ambiguous about John's statement it appears to only have one definite meaning and why isn't it a fact ie an indesputeable truth I'm referring to the statement below

Nobody on this forum can say what position this club will be in in the year 2037.

What was ambiguous about John's statement it appears to only have one definite meaning and why isn't it a fact ie an indesputeable truth I'm referring to the statement below

Nobody on this forum can say what position this club will be in in the year 2037.
It's a cop-out.

Criticising someone for making their best educated guess by saying "Well it's impossible to know" just kills discourse.

Sammy's statement was based on what had come previously at Spurs. John's was completely unknown.

The same time frame from when Levy became chairman.
So what? We’re not predicting the future here. We’re a lot better off than when he became chairman and that is a fact. I was going to say he lucked out with Poch, but since he appointed him in the first place that would be a bit harsh.

(Apologies for ‘lucked out’ another Americanism that’s crept into my lexicon 😆)

Haven't La Liga recently adopted a more PL style TV revenue structure? I think they did something like that when their current deal started. Still favouring the big 2 but nowhere near as much as it did.
Fair enough, looking it up now and you're right (I think because their TV deal increased in value so the bottom teams could get a bigger share without costing the top two).

Thank christ. It was obscene when it looked like this a few years ago.

20-debt-la-liga-tv-distribution.jpg

Yes. And that was my point.
It was nearly 20 years ago. 20 years before that we were winning back to back FA cups. When it was among the most prestigious competions in club football. Followed up a couple of years later with European glory.
And that was without Daniel Levy.

So. You make my point for me. Thanks. Sammys statement of fact that we would still be a bottom half club without Levy is pure bollocks. He doesn't know that. Neither do you and neither do I
But what happened after those Cups and European glory? And how was that connected to what came after?

It's easy to point at the on-pitch results and say things were better, but the context does matter. That Scholar era looked good on pitch, but the financials were decidedly shaky as he tried to invent the PL before the rest of the league was ready for it, and Spurs paid the price.

We very nearly did to a Leeds. The structure was simply not there. And the result was that when everyone else copied the template we had set, and ran with it, we were left in the dust, essentially kneecapped by being the first ones to try it before the system was there to back it up.

Then we faced the Sugar purgatory as we essentially were on life-support before ENIC bought the club. It wasn't entirely thrilling, but they have been utterly correct that building the off-pitch support to allow for an on-pitch giant to sustainably exist was the way to go. Instead of booming and busting again (as several other clubs have done), we've slowly built ourselves from being just another football club to a part of the European elite.

I think Sammy is correct that without Levy we'd still be bottom half is correct. The only reason we are not is the slow creation of the infrastructure to make consistent European football possible. Other clubs have had bursts of investment in their squads, but they've all then had a bust as players aged or got sold and the project changed. The difference with us was that we built the bones of something bigger, and grew around them. I think we do know that, as we've seen everyone else fuck it up. We didn't, and it was because of Levy's passionless focus on the business side that we didn't.

Fair enough, looking it up now and you're right (I think because their TV deal increased in value so the bottom teams could get a bigger share without costing the top two).

Thank christ. It was obscene when it looked like this a few years ago.

20-debt-la-liga-tv-distribution.jpg

Under the new system :

1 Barcelona, €146.2 million last season
2 Real Madrid €140 million
3 Atlético Madrid, €99 million
4 Athletic Bilbao €71 million ( less than half that of Barcelona)
5 Valencia €67.4 million.

While strugglers Alaves and Leganes earned just €39.6 million each.

So movement yes, but Barcelona and Real Madrid still get massively more than even third placed Atletico Madrid...……….and the top 2 still pay no tax (most other Spanish clubs do if not loss making) being another great advantage.

Still a long way to go to get a relatively even playing feld

...and in that ''very long time'' you've seen Spurs go from where to where?

I'll guess the Europa League and perpetually 5th-6th to Champions League and consistent top 4.

Keep moaning and we'll keep improving.
Here we go again. No mate I have been around longer than that. You know when we actually used to win trophies, all of the younger supporters have been brainwashed that being just in Europe is success. Well it is Not, but winning something is this is a game created to bring cups and silverware that is success. Where exactly have we improved in the last few years exactly. We have got into the champions league and stalled. Instead of using that champions league advantage to actually gain an advantage. Regarding recruitment and sponsorship etc..

Here we go again. No mate I have been around longer than that. You know when we actually used to win trophies, all of the younger supporters have been brainwashed that being just in Europe is success. Well it is Not, but winning something is this is a game created to bring cups and silverware that is success. Where exactly have we improved in the last few years exactly. We have got into the champions league and stalled. Instead of using that champions league advantage to actually gain an advantage. Regarding recruitment and sponsorship etc..
This is a post asking ''where's the success?'' the morning after we beat the world's richest club in the quarter final of the Champions League...

...And Arc agrees with it. Of course he does.

COYS!

This is a post asking ''where's the success?'' the morning after we beat the world's richest club in the quarter final of the Champions League...

...And Arc agrees with it. Of course he does.

COYS!
Winning a first leg is all that happened. Yes a brilliant result, but are u confident we are going through ? This was a general comment from a post before last night's game. We have not used the champions league advantage we have had over supposed bigger clubs who were not qualifying for it. I believe we will pay for not using the benefits/advantages that the champions league gives clubs. Well apart from ours as we have just stalked and not improved at all. On the pitch, before someone says but we got a new stadium...

Winning a first leg is all that happened. Yes a brilliant result, but are u confident we are going through ? This was a general comment from a post before last night's game. We have not used the champions league advantage we have had over supposed bigger clubs who were not qualifying for it. I believe we will pay for not using the benefits/advantages that the champions league gives clubs. Well apart from ours as we have just stalked and not improved at all. On the pitch, before someone says but we got a new stadium...

You don't half talk some bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom