The homecoming 3rd April Tottenham versus Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There was lots of singing. Every player’s songs belted out. Oh when the Spurs really loud. Honestly mate, they had no previous reference point and it came over as an echoy mess. Nevertheless, the commentators audio feed had to be boosted at the expense of the ambient sound. I could literally hear it going up and down. I’d rather trust our fans on here to give an honest account.

Edit: your comment about ‘not much singing’ isn’t a fact. If you’d have gone you wouldn’t be saying that.

Palace made a noise as you would have expected them to do, but it was that droney old bollocks they usually do. You will always hear away fans - that’s just normal.

Having said that I never really thought that the new place would be much different from the Lane. Which only really caught fire at a special games. You can’t orchestrate this shit.

Did you not hear ‘We’re the Park Lane’ early on? It was deafening. More volume, more bass. It was like a deep rumble.

Last edited:
off but the sound guys don’t edit out songs
But they do swing the volume button from left to right. It has the same effect as you doing it on your stereo. Honestly, I’m not making excuses, but I had headphones on as the missus was watching some shite, and you could hear the sound being tentatively pushed up and then sucked back when there was a roar. I know a little bit about this and the sound people didn’t do a proper job. That swirly whooshing sound was typical of the volume being underloaded and being compressed for what they imagine TV Land wants to hear.

we were loud (at times). the geezer reading the teams out was struggling .
could hear palace but were like a boring dortmund/american side drone
got home within a hour (so twice a long as previously but who cares)
my views great...the game was as tense as hell which doesn't help and we're aren't playing well but we're still there or thereabouts.

the geezer reading the teams out was struggling .

I noticed this too - we were very loud then.

Biggest thing for me, is the atmosphere was a million times better than Wembley, with its out of sync, Mexican wave style chants. At least we were all in unison last night. Well we were from where I was stood in the South stand.

In hindsight, Palace were probably the worst team to have play in terms of noise - they just bang that drum for 90 fucking minutes and drone out the same two songs. If it’d been Bournemouth or Liverpool, you wouldn’t have heard a peep out of them.

that's interesting, the north stand was actually singing pretty loudly (for Paxton) - and in fact the south didn't sound that loud to me. Plus, I wasn't that far from Palace and they didn't sound loud either - did you hear Palace? wonder whether all the fabled acoustics stuff is true??
Im going to wade in and annoy a few people but here goes.
Not slagging anyone off but the sound guys don’t edit out songs. There wasn’t much singing and that’s just a fact.

It’s not that palace were loud or fantastic, but it was the songs they sang.....which was mocking us not singing.
They were at the game and it would make no sense if we were singing, right?

I get that it was tense,but even at 2-0 I could only hear them

Now I’m not saying the atmosphere was bad....you could hear a constant buzz and the gasps when we went close etc.....and when the songs were sung they were really loud.
Simply not many songs for long periods.

That's just not true. Where I was in block 322 we sang for pretty much the whole game apart from one or two dead spells. Interesting how some people are saying the atmosphere on their streams was very good and others saying it was shit.

The truth is out there. Somewhere.

I was watching match on Swedish satellite TV there was more noise than Wembley, but it didn't appear over loud or constant singing, but I'm only watching tv not in the ground

Oh fuck off you bellend, I couldn't make it because of health issues and when I do turn up I sing from start to finish.

The palace fans spent most of my stream chanting "Is this a library" and I barely heard a peep from our lot other than when we scored or for a few moments towards the end.

I am saying for a stadium built for atmosphere it didn't come across well on my stream from our supporters, you might not like it but that's how it sounded.
Armchair fans have no right to insult those that travel to games, so do ya self a favour and wind ya neck In! Prick!

That's just not true. Where I was in block 322 we sang for pretty much the whole game apart from one or two dead spells. Interesting how some people are saying the atmosphere on their streams was very good and others saying it was shit.

The truth is out there. Somewhere.
Well the truth is from you guys who were there end of mate

Was an amazing night and don't wanna be a bitch but standing in top of upper shelf, noise from South stand was poor. We had to sing your the park lane, can only recall were the park lane once all game from the south, we need more
The difference is though that you was standing at the ground, not sitting at home saying how shit our support was ! :levyeyes:
I was in the west upper on the corner off the south stand and was a decent atmosphere around me which I’m pleasently suprised about as was a little worried getting my ST there :sonhmm:

Really enjoyed the majority of the game yesterday until some twat in the park lane told me to sit down. I told him where to go but can't believe some idiots have got season tickets in the "wall of noise" and want to sit all game. What an absolute shower.

After Levy UK's promises it was disappointing to yet again run-out ... in their defence there are over 60 food and drink outlets (no other EPL ground comes close) all were fully stocked and fully staffed. The problem is we eat and drink just ridiculously more than anyone planned for.

As you know the ground is cash-less so everyone's actions are tracked by their cards, this data will be endlessly studied to try and fix the supply and demand issues.

It should also be remembered that this was a one-off event, 10,000 in the ground two hours before kick-off 45,000 in an hour before kick-off ... this will probably never happen again, or maybe it will?

Let's call them teething problems and see how the next four games go ... if it's still an issue there will be the summer break to expand (unbelievably) the food and drink offering.

On a side note, Spurs canvassed the local pubs and cafes after the two test events, overwhelmingly they fed back that business was very good, with an extra 15,000 last night and the issues inside the ground I'm sure the local pubs were rocking again .... were they?
Yep I could not into the coaches or Lts and this was at 1730. Good sign that local pubs are doing well.

When the place is bouncing it will be great.

We never sang for 90mins at the old place. It’s not going to magically change.

Same way Park Lane can’t really hear Paxton singing, where I am unless the south stand gets going as a whole the away fans will always seem louder.

But you just know the potential is there for an electric atmosphere.
Hopefully next Tuesday.......

Love the new place..lots of noise but it's gonna take some time to all sing in unison and synched up...not a critic at all..when we do get it all together it's going to be a really intimidating atmosphere .
Got in my seat early and got a little overwhelmed tbh..hard to hold back the tears ..50 years plus invested in the lane and it sort of took me by surprise..
Great to see old faces again in the coach ..few hugs being thrown round...
Let's get it right on next Tuesday.

I was in Row 5 near the away dug-out. My feeling was that there were quite of few first timers there last night. Maybe got tickets through hospitality or something. A few younger Lads and me tried to get them singing a bit around us, but you get looked at as if you are mad.

In front of me, two kids, 7 and 8 maybe, kitted out in the full kit, just sat and looked at the program all night, Dads sat each side of them, they were as disinterested. I know we have to get younger supporters in, but if this is the true future, then we can kiss goodbye to any sort of atmosphere. I just thought it really a shame that 2 to 4 seats that could have gone to real supporters who would have got into it. I am sure there were plenty more as well. A few empty seats around me as well, which seemed weird.

Not the usual place I would want to sit, it was just a case of getting a seat anywhere, for the first game. But, a huge part of the enjoyment and excitement of being at the game is sucked out of me, when surrounded by these sort of supporters. Maybe, I am a dinosaur and it is me that can't adapt to the new face and "atmosphere" of football.

South Stand did sound pretty epic at times from where I was sitting. It will be interesting to see in future how soon the Stadium fills up, given this was the first game. I did wonder round the goal line bar, it was very busy round there, but a really good buzz.

Got home after midnight, due to no extra trains and from what I can see no improvement in crowd management. May try Northumnerland Park next time, assuming I can get lucky and get another ticket this season.

Anyway, far more important than anything last night was the 3 points.. COYS

mirror4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom