The homecoming 3rd April Tottenham versus Palace

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Back home. Knackered but happy. I did feel quite emotional today. I’m glad the ceremony was short and simple. I thought we played well. Clearly a lot of pressure and nerves but we controlled the match completely. Good to see Sonny back in form.

It may be due to the alcohol in my system but I thought the atmosphere didn’t travel that well from the South Stand to the North. Hope we can find a way to build up a more sustained noise from the White Wall.

Good to meet up with benjomess benjomess and see that he’s alive and well. Tried to find Nutter-Naylor Nutter-Naylor but the boy has too many friends now. Seriously, the concourses were ridiculous today.

Managed to get into Northumberland Park on the closed side so missed all the queues. Lovely stuff all round! COYS.

Just got in. There's a lot I want to share from tonight but I'm a bit pissed so excuse any rambling.

1) The internet can be a weird place, but sometimes it can be bloody brilliant. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I got immensely lucky when Raiders Raiders sorted me a ticket for £30 tonight, and have nothing but praise for the bloke. He's proper Spurs, and as a bonus can also neck a cider pretty quickly, so if he ever has a free ticket again I highly recommend taking him up on it. Still find it highly commendable that he gave it to me, a stranger, for so cheap when he could have sold it for a much higher price, so massive fair play to him. Thanks to him and the Fighting Cock for allowing me to experience such a special night.

2) The stadium... I can't really add anything original that hasn't already been said. All I will say to those who haven't yet experienced it is be patient, your time will come. And when it does, I'd say give yourself a good few hours before kick off to explore. I don't normally do it but got in at 4.45pm today and was just overwhelmed. For all the criticism of Levy and co they have just plain and simple smashed this one out of the park. From the £5 pint and pie deal (decent pie too) to the artwork, to the bowl itself... everything is stunning. Cliche of the century, but pictures just can't do justice to that moment you walk out of the concourse and realise... fuck me, Wembley is shit isn't it. It's that good.

3) The game itself I guess was a bit of a damp squib, but at least we got a much needed three points and didn't allow our big day to be pooped by a disciplined Palace side. Big props to Sissoko for his performance and for not hiding after the Liverpool nightmare, but other than him I can't think of anyone who was particularly good. We were in the North stand and I would say atmosphere was decent, if understandably a little nervy at times. Palace fans just beneath us were good. Hoping to experience South stand soon- it was hard to tell how loud they were tonight from the opposite end but the view of it packed out was incredible.

4) My only real complaint of the night: getting out is still a nightmare. We made it out of the ground pretty much bang on full time and I even jogged a bit of the way to Seven Sisters and still had to wait a good 45 mins in a queue. Not sure what the solution is, but if that's the situation on a night where I imagine more people than usual would have stuck around taking it all in and having a drink I shudder to imagine what it will be like when we are 3-0 up in a low-key game and people all want to leave at the same time.

Overall a brilliant night and just privileged to say I was there. Onto Man City- We CAN beat them.
Had half an hour, stroll to an empty Northumberland if its an option

Was in the South and didn't hear that at all. We went back and forth with Shelf a few times, but couldn't hear Paxton.

Wonder if that's due to the away fans next to you or the pure size of the place?

that's interesting, the north stand was actually singing pretty loudly (for Paxton) - and in fact the south didn't sound that loud to me. Plus, I wasn't that far from Palace and they didn't sound loud either - did you hear Palace? wonder whether all the fabled acoustics stuff is true??

that's interesting, the north stand was actually singing pretty loudly (for Paxton) - and in fact the south didn't sound that loud to me. Plus, I wasn't that far from Palace and they didn't sound loud either - did you hear Palace? wonder whether all the fabled acoustics stuff is true??

Definitely heard Palace, but sometimes sounded like they were coming from behind us rather than where they were positioned in front.

Loudest to me sounded the West stand (outside of us). Acoustics obviously work in a weird way.

Well, I had three old blokes behind me getting annoyed because I was apparently sitting wrong... I honestly don’t know why some people go to live football when they seem to hate everything about it.

That’s why I’ve jacked it in mate. £85 just to be abused by a gang of pensioners with massive sticks. Fuck that. And if you get past them and onto the next level, you have to fight your way to the bar past the massed ranks of of popcorn purchasers. Large bodied certainly, but not so light on their feet. Then you’re left with the ultimate evil - a grinning 16 year old who takes enormous delight in telling you that all the beer has run out, but you can have a bottle of coke for £3.50 if you have a voucher and a stadium access card - and you can film it.

Plu and palace were quiet, Paxton silent

Oh fuck off you bellend, I couldn't make it because of health issues and when I do turn up I sing from start to finish.

The palace fans spent most of my stream chanting "Is this a library" and I barely heard a peep from our lot other than when we scored or for a few moments towards the end.

I am saying for a stadium built for atmosphere it didn't come across well on my stream from our supporters, you might not like it but that's how it sounded.
Load of bollocks.

I know that, because this is what my stream looked like:

313334-A2-8-D7-A-4-C04-8-E30-488-ACD4-A8-E43.jpg

Managed to get into Northumberland Park on the closed side
Did you go over the footbridge and blag your way past the station staff/plod. We queued for quite some time. Got onto the platform and eventually got onto the train that was currently there. The station staff on the platform said it was stopping at Stratford. As we pulled off the announcement said next stop Liverpool Street. There’s another half hour on my journey. Thanks.

Cunt watching from home slags off fans who went saying atmosphere was shite? From my seat on the corner of the south stand it was decent , maybe venture our your front room to a game before slagging of those who do attend? :dembelefingers:
Was an amazing night and don't wanna be a bitch but standing in top of upper shelf, noise from South stand was poor. We had to sing your the park lane, can only recall were the park lane once all game from the south, we need more

Was an amazing night and don't wanna be a bitch but standing in top of upper shelf, noise from South stand was poor. We had to sing your the park lane, can only recall were the park lane once all game from the south, we need more

I do think nerves with it being a bit of a slog up unti the 80th minute played a part. If we had 3-4 points more than we currently do I don't think there'd have been as many biting their fingernails in what was a must win game.

Give it time, I really think the fear of not winning our first game at our new home gave it a fair bit of tension that the hardcore were possibly distracted by. That and the fairweather fans wanting a glimpse of it, flushing out the devout members.

Also got to remember that many folk were around strangers and new surroundings. A little time and a few closer relationships with those around them and the decibel levels will probably go up.

A little bit further down the line and I think we'll see a fairer reflection of what we can all expect

Just started watching the highlights on Sky. As I almost always sat in the East stand on rare visits at the old ground, I wonder how this new camera will become familiar? Will I choose the West stand in future?

Really very little to moan about and loads to be delighted about tonight.

The atmosphere was good, but it was bloody freezing and off the back of a terrible run I can understand some of the quiet moments. The away fans are below us and that’s quite annoying when they are as thick as Palace supporters seem to be.

I am finding our new section to be quite pleasant. The view is amazing and the overall facilities are good, it’s especially nice post match to have bars open to 22:30 and stadium open till 23:00 mid week.

All staff serving tonight were polite and helpful and even the stewards were decent and able to actually chat. The supervisor in our section was certainly no fan of the Palace which made me laugh.

We walked back via the high road to Tottenham Hale at about 22:40. Absolutely no problem. It was the obviously a bit cold though. The White Hart bar on 5th level is decent ( as was Beavertown on Saturday )

Negatives - how the hell did they run out of beer again ? No Neck Oil after 18:30 yet it’s brewed on site ? A combination of Neck Oil, Heineken and Amstel is not good and is not recommended !

Some of the cues for beer and food are surprisingly long. Not as bad as old WHL but worse than Wembley so far. That’s not good. Hopefully it’s teething problems, but there was a beer supply issue on Saturday too.....

One final thing, which I said earlier, the away supporters are absolute cunts. Palace are an annoying throwback to a bygone era. They think their support is unique, but really they are just small time twats & I hope they nick the prick with the flare.

COYS

Had a bloke in front of me leave before half time and didn’t come back!

On the singing front I sang everything except the Danny song (still struggling with that) and the songs about Woolwich. (Not interested)

I do think nerves with it being a bit of a slog up unti the 80th minute played a part. If we had 3-4 points more than we currently do I don't think there'd have been as many biting their fingernails in what was a must win game.

Give it time, I really think the fear of not winning our first game at our new home gave it a fair bit of tension that the hardcore were possibly distracted by. That and the fairweather fans wanting a glimpse of it, flushing out the devout members.

Also got to remember that many folk were around strangers and new surroundings. A little time and a few closer relationships with those around them and the decibel levels will probably go up.

A little bit further down the line and I think we'll see a fairer reflection of what we can all expect
100% agree it will come, but 6 of us together were disappointed. But fuck it it's 3 points, am pissed and things will improve

The singing sounded incredible on NBC Sports here in the states. Dixon and White were announcing and mentioned several times that it was very loud inside.

Thank the old gods and the new we took 3 points.

Thought Eriksen was good, but blew a couple crosses including a free kick. I love Dele but at times he tries to wait for the perfect pass instead of making the quick and easy pass and out attack fizzles. Sissoko is a beast, if only he could finish. Kane was a bit selfish inside the box, could have had an assist or two, but did make some incredible passes, and his run set up the second goal. Son is definitely my favorite Spur. Nice one Sonny....

Hopefully this post doesn’t come out negative, that’s not my intent. Very much love this team, it’s just agonizing how close we are to being elite instead of “just” very good. But I love this team and believe we’ll finish strong and be in CL next year.

Back
Top Bottom