Chelscum v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League - 27.02.19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I said yesterday that I can almost take the Burnley result. Team fighting for survival, aim to nullify us etc. But yesterday was just a different Spurs. It wasn't a Poch Spurs performance.

As you say, Chelsea were pretty much shit. Yet we didn't take it to them, we didnt show up.
IMO we did, not in the in your face cavalier way, but we matched them (they matched us) all over the pitch. They are a fucking good side. I just don't know what people were expecting here, for us to be cavalier and therefore be open leaving spaces all over the gaff? We've been porous this season, with many games without the past control/domination of midfield, bottom of the table sides have created plenty against us and we nullified a good team last night (a team that for extended periods outplayed us in the League Cup games).

Who was expecting us to play on the front foot last night? Reading the pre-match comments not many, so I don't get the hissy fits other than excuse the crying because it was "them". But some of the comments on here are a fucking joke. It was a very tactical and tight game with nothing to separate the two sides other than an absolute shit Right back.

was personally pleased to see Llorente come on last night. Whilst he might not carve a chance out of nothing i've been very impressed with his hold-up play and ability to bring in other players with his back to the goal. Personally would have started off this way in the last two games, bringing Harry on once legs started to get a bit tired. 30mins of a fresh Harry would have been enough IMHO

They are a fucking good side

With an even better squad. Look at who didn't start for them last night:

A £70m goalkeeper
Barkley
Drinkwater
Loftus-Cheek
Giroud
Hudson-Odoi
Willian
Christensen
Zapacosta
Cahill

What did we have to offer?
Rose
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Skipp
Gazzaniga
Aurier
Lucas

This squad depth is replicated across all the other top six clubs. Playing for your place every game is what improves performance. At the weekend I reckon most of yesterday's starting 11 will start - as we have no alternatives. Full back rotation, Lucas for Lamela, Vertonghen to return?

You need squad depth and consequent competition.

Now it's unlikely we'll get a member of the Russian mafia to bankroll us, but surely we deserve better?

A £70m goalkeeper
Barkley
Drinkwater
Loftus-Cheek
Giroud
Hudson-Odoi
Willian
Christensen
Zapacosta
Cahill

Rose
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Skipp
Gazzaniga
Aurier
Lucas

This squad depth is replicated across all the other top six clubs. Playing for your place every game is what improves performance. At the weekend I reckon most of yesterday's starting 11 will start - as we have no alternatives. Full back rotation, Lucas for Lamela, Vertonghen to return?

Now it's unlikely we'll get a member of the Russian mafia to bankroll us, but surely we deserve better?
Wait, are you saying they have a better squad depth than us? If you are then I completly dissagree with that assertion.

You list their bench of:
Drinkwater - are you having a laugh, he's shit.
Barkley - What?!?
Giroud - What?!?!
Chaill - He's shit now, never was a skilful player bit always committed but out to pasture for him now
Zapacosta - What?!!?
Hudson-Udoi - Hype at the moment, maybe he's good maybe he's not, from what I've seen Sarri has been spot on not to play him, not better (yet) that what he already has.
Willian - On the downward trend, lost loads of his pace but still a dangerous player if motivated (think they want to sell whilst value can be obtained).
RLC - Hyped beyond all belief - Been woeful for England, barely starts for Chelsea so no games to judge but couldn't get into the Palace side.

Our squad depth has been great, we are 3rd in the league, made the semi-final of League Cup and have one foot in the CL quarter-finals whilst having 39 separate injuries this season! That's the very definition of squad depth.

We do, as ALL teams have, some players that aren't contributing and need to be moved on and other players we can all debate if they are good enough or not, but even those that (IMO) aren't good enough but get games they have still contributed to our position today, a position that is 3rd in the league SEVEN points more than 6th place Chavs that you are wanking over.

Sorry if I have misinterpreted your post.

But in 16/17 we rarely ever played 3 at the back with Trippier and Davies as starting wing backs.

Can't help but feel a back three is kind of an appeasement to Jan, Toby plus one (normally Dav). It's Poch's way of saying I value you all and feel you all deserve game time.

I wonder if Poch is playing Toby (and the whole clean slate thing) because a) there may well be no bids forthcoming and b) Poch isn't too confident of getting a replacement in.

Some of this fan base almost take pride in losing, so they can tell everyone "I told you so" regarding lack of signings, team not being good enough, Pochs not good enough etc - you don't see then when we win games. Love it when we lose though.

We certainly have a few of those, but we also have a significant proportion that don't even know *how* to lose.

I know there's nothing more annoying than some old boy going on about what we used to be like, but I never really even entertained the idea that we would be good enough to sit at the top table. I've seen us play Southampton when they pretty much only needed to field Le Tissier and we would have lost (lanky bugger loved scoring against us). That's why I'm attached to the FA Cup - that was our glory.

Two losses and people lose their shit (one of which was at a ground where we've won once in 28 years). That's not to say we shouldn't be fucking annoyed, but you don't take it out on the team. You lay into them when they're winning, not when they're down. The whole point about support is that they need it when thing's are difficult. Any dickhead can cheer for winners.

And now we're supposed to buckle to an Woolwich side that a month ago lost to a gaggle of Belarusian farmers?

Fuck that.

Our squad depth has been great, we are 3rd in the league, made the semi-final of League Cup and have one foot in the CL quarter-finals whilst having 39 separate injuries this season! That's the very definition of squad depth.

We can disagree on this one. My interpretation of squad depth is that you have cover for each position and so competition for your place. You're never guaranteed a starting spot. in addition you're not flogged like Winks, Sissoko, Alderweireld and Son have been.

The majority of yesterday's team will turn out at the weekend regardless of yesterday's performance.

I don't agree with your critique of the individual members of their squad, and perhaps we need an equally brutal analysis of ours? Taken as a whole their bench yesterday was much stronger than ours, as their squad depth is much stronger than ours.

In my view Chelsea's position in the league is a function of how their squad has been managed, and tactics rather than lack of playing ability.

We're third in the league despite a wafer thin squad, not because of it. Getting over the injury crisis is a tribute to the team . Our squad depth is miles behind the other top 6.

In a heartbeat, I'd take Giroud as backup to Kane, Plus Barclay, Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi on the bench.

Last edited:

A £70m goalkeeper
Barkley
Drinkwater
Loftus-Cheek
Giroud
Hudson-Odoi
Willian
Christensen
Zapacosta
Cahill

Rose
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Skipp
Gazzaniga
Aurier
Lucas

90% of those Chelsea players are crap.

90% of those Chelsea players are crap.

The majority, but not 90%.

Put their bench yesterday and ours together. Then (honestly) choose your 'ideal bench' (without partisan bias creeping in).

We can try this game with Woolwich and then City and Liverpool. Same result. I suspect the result wouldn't change much even after Dele and Dier return. Lack of squad depth.

We can disagree on this one. My interpretation of squad depth is that you have cover for each position and so competition for your place. You're never guaranteed a starting spot. in addition you're not flogged like Winks, Sissoko, Alderweireld and Son have been.

The majority of yesterday's team will turn out at the weekend regardless of yesterday's performance.

I don't agree with your critique of the individual members of their squad, and perhaps we need an equally brutal analysis of ours? Taken as a whole their bench yesterday was much stronger than ours, as their squad depth is much stronger than ours.

In my view Chelsea's position in the league is a function of how their squad has been managed, and tactics rather than lack of playing ability.

We're third in the league despite a wafer thin squad, not because of it. It's a tribute to the team. Our squad depth is miles behind the other top 6.
Fair enough, then yeah we are miles apart. If you think Drinkwater, Zapacosta and Cahill are decent or gets into our squad then all I can do is piss myself laughing. Giroud is no better than Llorente, Willian isn't as good as Son but currently has is a better impact on his team than Lamela is for us right now.

Chelsea hasn't had anywhere near our injuries, they haven't used their squad as a result, meaning bar Barclay/Kovacic swapping he's stuck with a Championship winning side that is behind us, means there is zero logic to your argument. They don't play Giroud, they don't play RLC, they don't play Drinkwater, they don't play Zapacosta, they don't play Cahill.

I mean just at the back we do play Aurier, Tripps, Rose, Foyth, Davies, Vertonghen, Toby and Sanchez. Sarri plays almost exclusively Luiz, Rudiger, Azpilicueta and Alonso

The majority, but not 90%.

Put their bench yesterday and ours together. Then (honestly) choose your 'ideal bench' (without partisan bias creeping in).

We can try this game with Woolwich and then City and Liverpool. Same result. I suspect the result wouldn't change much even after Dele and Dier return. Lack of squad depth.

Wanyama is better than Drinkwater
Loftus-Cheek is better than Skipp
Giroud is better than Llorente
Lucas is better than Hudson-Odoi
Rose is better than Zapacosta
Foyth is better than Cahill

Can't really play off the others v. each other.

Barkley
Willian
Christensen
Gazzaniga
Aurier

If you think Drinkwater, Zapacosta and Cahill are decent or gets into our squad then all I can do is piss myself laughing. Giroud is no better than Llorente, Willian isn't as good as Son but currently has is a better impact on his team than Lamela is for us right now.

Yes we're miles apart.

I'd take Giroud (or Sturridge from yesterday's thread) instead of Llorente.

Willian is not better than Son but light years ahead of Lamela and Lucas.

The mistake here is that we're comparing these players to our first XI and they all suffer in comparison. The point is, would you take them as a member of the squad?

Last edited:
Can't really play off the others v. each other.

Barkley
Willian
Christensen
Gazzaniga
Aurier

Probably because you choose not to. (some spectacular cherry-picking comparisons to support your argument)

Kepa or Gazzaniga?
Willian or Lucas (or anyone on our bench)
Barclay or Skipp

Their bench yesterday:
Arrizabalaga
Barkley
Loftus-Cheek
Giroud
Hudson-Odoi
Willian
Christensen

Ours:
Rose
Wanyama
Llorente
Foyth
Gazzaniga
Aurier
Lucas

Only Rose would make a 'best-of' bench (in my view).

Cahill, Zapacosta, Drinkwater weren't even in the squad.

Once again, squad depth and competition for places. Last summer, no signings etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom