Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We mustn't forget just how weak our midfield is at the moment. Dier seems to be perpetually ill and Wanyama has lost his legs, Dembele has been sold. We are always going to be flimsy when Eriksen, Winks and Sissoko are the guys in front of our penalty area.

I don't think it's possible to shut games down the way we used to when our power players were in their prime.
Dare I say this but should we not have bought 1/2 in to alleviate this like other clubs do.

Dare I say this but should we not have bought 1/2 in to alleviate this like other clubs do.

Who could we sign though? We have a huge debt we need to think about and to bring in quality to compete you're probably looking at a £40m-£50m player. I completely understand that with money being tight the club chose to keep its money where it is when we need to be savvy with our funds until something that catches the managements eye more comes along.

Pochettino knew times would be tight when he took over, anyone that doesn't understand that we have a debt bigger than pretty much any other club in the world at present and how that will impact decisions doesn't live in the real world.

The only club in a similar position to us I guess is Atletico with their new stadium but even that only set them back 240m Euros compared to our outlay and there a team that can fall back on years and years of Champions League revenue.

We are the new kids on the block when it comes to the big stage but we can't fast forward it like City etc can so we need to do it step by step, season after season. It's unfortunate but to buy a player who could genuinely impact the team it's going to cost us a lot of dough, money the club would probably rather keep for when a potential game changer crops up in the future. That's how I see it anyway

Who could we sign though? We have a huge debt we need to think about and to bring in quality to compete you're probably looking at a £40m-£50m player. I completely understand that with money being tight the club chose to keep its money where it is when we need to be savvy with our funds until something that catches the managements eye more comes along.

Pochettino knew times would be tight when he took over, anyone that doesn't understand that we have a debt bigger than pretty much any other club in the world at present and how that will impact decisions doesn't live in the real world.

The only club in a similar position to us I guess is Atletico with their new stadium but even that only set them back 240m Euros compared to our outlay and there a team that can fall back on years and years of Champions League revenue.

We are the new kids on the block when it comes to the big stage but we can't fast forward it like City etc can so we need to do it step by step, season after season. It's unfortunate but to buy a player who could genuinely impact the team it's going to cost us a lot of dough, money the club would probably rather keep for when a potential game changer crops up in the future. That's how I see it anyway
We all know about the stadium but the club still has to buy surely I don't expect big signings but to say the club can't find anyone anywhere just baffles me.
Just because there is a debt to service which incidentally won't have to be paid back within a year doesn't mean we can't buy anyone otherwise do the board expect fan's to keep turning up paying probably top prices but instead see a team put together from aldi, but it's alright because in ten years time we might have sucesss I don't think is going to wash but I sense you think that might be acceptable.

Personally, I didn't mind seeing Poch 'lose it' at the end. Showed how much he was annoyed with the result and our sub-par performance -wish the players had showed half as much passion. Plus, we don't know what exactly that smug git Dean said to make Poch bristle.
However, Poch made a big mistake playing Foyth today. I like the kid and can see some potential, but he's still very raw and just isn't ready for the more physical games.

I 100% believe we needed to add to our squad this season. For whatever reasons we haven't.

But the loss today, with only one member of our squad unavailable was not about our transfer inertia. We need to separate the 2 things today.

We had 10 days and knew what was needed. The manager and the players. They tell us they want success and that the league and CL are the markers.

So to produce that kind of weak performance having talked so openly as Pochettino has this week about this weekend and us being in the title race is hard to take.

The truth is that this season we have been 7 out of 10 in terms of performance but have got 8 or 8.5 out of 10 results.

We lack players but mostly we lack the strength of mentality that can cope with expectation.

Last edited:
Personally, I didn't mind seeing Poch 'lose it' at the end. Showed how much he was annoyed with the result and our sub-par performance -wish the players had showed half as much passion. Plus, we don't know what exactly that smug git Dean said to make Poch bristle.
However, Poch made a big mistake playing Foyth today. I like the kid and can see some potential, but he's still very raw and just isn't ready for the more physical games.
I reckon Dean said to him "where are your new signings bro"

We all know about the stadium but the club still has to buy surely I don't expect big signings but to say the club can't find anyone anywhere just baffles me.
Just because there is a debt to service which incidentally won't have to be paid back within a year doesn't mean we can't buy anyone otherwise do the board expect fan's to keep turning up paying probably top prices but instead see a team put together from aldi, but it's alright because in ten years time we might have sucesss I don't think is going to wash but I sense you think that might be acceptable.

What I think is acceptable is the clubs choice not to sign anyone and in the same season getting its record points total after 26/27 games without a home advantage.

Would I like to see us sign good quality players? Absolutely but with clubs slapping a ridiculous price on players heads these days I completely understand why we chose not to go for anyone. When I look at the majority of players signed by other clubs, Jorginho, Fred, Richarlison etc and the money it cost I don't think there are many that we could have got that would have genuinely improved us.

We have the HG issue to deal with, we are at our maximum based on nonHG registered players for the Champions League and we got touted a lot of money for not a lot of player it seems (£40m for Grealish or whatever it is is £40m that we can put elsewhere as and when a player comes up)

We've coped very well, it's a long term project and whilst I wouldn't be happy to see it continue like this for the long term I'm very content seeing us keep our head above water when it comes to the best of them all whilst we try to balance the books

I 100% believe we needed to add to our squad this season. For whatever reasons we haven't.

But the loss today, with only one member of our squad unavailable was not about our transfer inertia. We need to separate the 2 things today.

We had 10 days and knew what was needed. The manager and the players. They tell us they want success and that the league and CL are the markers.

So to produce that kind of weak performance having talked so openly as Pochettino has this week about this weekend and us being in the title race is hard to take.

The truth is that this season we have been 7 out iof 10 in terms of performance but got 8 or 8.5 out of 10 results.

We lack players but mostly we lack the strength of mentality that can cope with expectation.

Also you have to the point to the fact that Burnley aren't just going to sit down and roll over for us because we are a good team.

They are also fighting for survival.

They wanted it more than us today (which is disappointing) but it should also show everyone that these teams that are fighting for survival will put their body on the line and look to stifle the teams they play and perhaps there are more points to be dropped by those above us..

The truth is that this season we have been 7 out iof 10 in terms of performance but got 8 or 8.5 out of 10 results.

Yes. That's very a very accurate assessment of today and the season so far. We've got several wins where we probably didn't deserve them (Leicester a prime recent example) and were abject today. So annoying when we have a nice bit of free time to prepare yet, as per usual, look terrible and lacklustre when we return. It's getting a little frustrating/worrying too that whenever a bit of pressure builds re expectation the team keeps just falling short (today, Wolves, Juve, etc)

But as a club we always talk up a good game or our chances just look at the NLD earlier this season all week long in the press player's chatting about how we are the better team and then put in a shit performance classic spurs.

What I think is acceptable is the clubs choice not to sign anyone and in the same season getting its record points total after 26/27 games without a home advantage.

Would I like to see us sign good quality players? Absolutely but with clubs slapping a ridiculous price on players heads these days I completely understand why we chose not to go for anyone. When I look at the majority of players signed by other clubs, Jorginho, Fred, Richarlison etc and the money it cost I don't think there are many that we could have got that would have genuinely improved us.

We have the HG issue to deal with, we are at our maximum based on nonHG registered players for the Champions League and we got touted a lot of money for not a lot of player it seems (£40m for Grealish or whatever it is is £40m that we can put elsewhere as and when a player comes up)

We've coped very well, it's a long term project and whilst I wouldn't be happy to see it continue like this for the long term I'm very content seeing us keep our head above water when it comes to the best of them all whilst we try to balance the books
Mr levy I have enjoyed our conversations and will continue with them another time have a great weekend.

I know it is easy to say looking back, but a lot of the talk before the game from Poch was telling the media how decisive it was for our next fixtures. Meanwhile, Klopp for example is playing down the significance of his game. I get the tactic to ramp up pressure for small games and lessen it for bigger games, but I think the players and media already knew how big the Burnley game was after Wolves, so to lessen its importance pre-game may have been the best move.

I love Poch but I feel like every time he decides he is going for a title publicly the players fold in the game. Making anything into a cup final for us tends to have a negative effect due to the fact we are shit at cup finals.

Yes. That's very a very accurate assessment of today and the season so far. We've got several wins where we probably didn't deserve them (Leicester a prime recent example) and were abject today. So annoying when we have a nice bit of free time to prepare yet, as per usual, look terrible and lacklustre when we return. It's getting a little frustrating/worrying too that whenever a bit of pressure builds re expectation the team keeps just falling short (today, Wolves, Juve, etc)

It's mental fragility. No other explanation unless you attribute it the players not being good enough which I don't buy.

The chance was there to put maximum pressure on and we could not do it..... for the umpteenth time. It's too often not to be a pattern.

And it's why I say winning a domestic cup competotion matters.

And the reason why I say it is that you have to win 4 or 5 games of importance and know you can do it.

Nor Pochettino or telling Klopp at Liverpool have done that.

At 2 - 1 today I sat outside the pub for 9 or 10 mins as I knew. Wgat does that tell you?

I know it is easy to say looking back, but a lot of the talk before the game from Poch was telling the media how decisive it was for our next fixtures. Meanwhile, Klopp for example is playing down the significance of his game. I get the tactic to ramp up pressure for small games and lessen it for bigger games, but I think the players and media already knew how big the Burnley game was after Wolves, so to lessen its importance pre-game may have been the best move.

I love Poch but I feel like every time he decides he is going for a title publicly the players fold in the game. Making anything into a cup final for us tends to have a negative effect due to the fact we are shit at cup finals.

Read my post below. I agree to a large extent until we win a cup.

We can't reach cup finals mate semi finals and then we are out.

Back
Top Bottom