Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Arguably the greatest manager the game has seen couldn’t last more than 44 days at Leeds - the biggest club in England at the time. Some managers regardless of the talent are just not the right person for that club. Keep trying though.
Keep trying at what?
Showing you up to be the worst troll on this forum?
Doesn’t need effort.
You do that all on your own.

Generally you could extend that to cover Jol, Ramos (well, he won a trophy), Redknapp, and AVB too. We’ve more or less been a consistent top 5 team for many years now, which was unheard of for god knows how long.

It’s incredibly satisfying knowing that we haven’t achieved this by simply throwing millions around. Oddly enough I still look back at the 90s with some fondness. It was the early 2000s that I felt we were a bit West Ham.

I like and agree but just get nervous when others introduce the concept of a single God and not give due diligence to forms and procedure. I know it's all good but absolutely clench when others give it a vocal disregard. I want to shout, you know not the fictional forces, your sang froid is potentially messing with ,,,

It's a mixed blessing, I can still have a power wank, aided and abetted with the shame / lust multiplier but also be entirely disconnected.

Nope, sorry, I back myself as a good judge of player and Marcus Edwards has got serious potential.

He will score 20+ goals in a major European league at some point in his career.

I can spot a good player in a poor team and poor player in a good one. I want him back at Spurs next season so Erik has to go.
Clough ain't even top 20

Arguably the greatest manager the game has seen couldn’t last more than 44 days at Leeds - the biggest club in England at the time. Some managers regardless of the talent are just not the right person for that club. Keep trying though.
I think people see Hood and have to say the opposite. Hes not the greatest but Mourinho is at least one of them.

How many other managers have won Champions Leagues with portuguese league teams or won league titles in 4 different countries or be the only manager Alex Ferguson's Manutd had trouble against (I think ferguson lost 2 leagues to mourinho in the 3 seasons he was with chelsea). Also to be fair even alex ferguson couldnt do shit with this manutd team. Its a minor miracle that they won the europa league with mourinho. Ferguson has 2 CL with the biggest team in england which is no more than what Mourinho has won.

I think people see Hood and have to say the opposite. Hes not the greatest but Mourinho is at least one of them.

How many other managers have won Champions Leagues with portuguese league teams or won league titles in 4 different countries or be the only manager Alex Ferguson's Manutd had trouble against (I think ferguson lost 2 leagues to mourinho in the 3 seasons he was with chelsea). Also to be fair even alex ferguson couldnt do shit with this manutd team. Its a minor miracle that they won the europa league with mourinho. Ferguson has 2 CL with the biggest team in england which is no more than what Mourinho has won.
Mourinho was great. He isn't anymore.

Like Wenger, the game has passed him by. But he will always have his legacy.

I like and agree but just get nervous when others introduce the concept of a single God and not give due diligence to forms and procedure. I know it's all good but absolutely clench when others give it a vocal disregard. I want to shout, you know not the fictional forces, your sang froid is potentially messing with ,,,

It's a mixed blessing, I can still have a power wank, aided and abetted with the shame / lust multiplier but also be entirely disconnected.

It’s a small gesture but I always try to avoid capitalising ‘god’.

It’s a small gesture but I always try to avoid capitalising ‘god’.
TBF I feel the same re queen Liz and the racists Phil and John Terry. Also Winston Churchill was an astonishingly clueless drunken arse. Hyped entitled fuckwits the lot of them.

Is there not now a very good chance the sky will fall on our heads ?

That is true. His personality is his downfall. Still wins a lot though , two cups including europa with current manutd is something.

If I recall correctly Man U had a ridiculously easy run at that Europa Trophy from start to finish and I think they played Southampton in the final of the Carabao Cup. I'd have expected them to have won both of those cups with the likes of Pogba, Mata, Ibrahimovic etc to be fair but back in his pomp before football became far too technical for him he had an astonishing career. Ultimately it was his shit, bratty and pompous attitude that made his true colours come out.

I lost all respect for him after that fiasco with the Doctor. Awful behaviour, I'm glad he's no longer a part of our game over here. He had his fun, can fall back on his achievements whenever that ego needs caressing and until he learns a bit of humility, good riddance I hope others get a chance instead of him.

If I recall correctly Man U had a ridiculously easy run at that Europa Trophy from start to finish and I think they played Southampton in the final of the Carabao Cup. I'd have expected them to have won both of those cups with the likes of Pogba, Mata, Ibrahimovic etc to be fair but back in his pomp before football became far too technical for him he had an astonishing career. Ultimately it was his shit, bratty and pompous attitude that made his true colours come out.

I lost all respect for him after that fiasco with the Doctor. Awful behaviour, I'm glad he's no longer a part of our game over here. He had his fun, can fall back on his achievements whenever that ego needs caressing and until he learns a bit of humility, good riddance I hope others get a chance instead of him.
The rest of the teams had to fail for them win it. The other teams that failed to win included us. Also the league cup included beating mancity. Credit where its due.

The rest of the teams had to fail for them win it. The other teams that failed to win included us. Also the league cup included beating mancity. Credit where its due.

Granted that they could only beat what was in front of them and that other teams, including us fell by the wayside that year but they played the likes of Saint Etienne, Celta Vigo & Ajax who I'd expect Man U to overcome. It wasn't an amazing feat with the squad they had even if Mourinho likes to bask in the glory of it all.

Also that League cup run saw them pull West Ham at home in the quarter finals, Hull in the semis and Southampton in the final. The City team Guardiola started with in that game earlier round game at Old Trafford was Caballero, Maffeo, Kompany, Otamendi, Clichy, Navas, Garcia, Reges, Nolito, Sane & Iheanacho. Hardly City at their finest but credit where it's due as you said as you've still got to overcome them regardless of who the opposition is.

I'll have a line of what he's been snorting please..,..

Pochettino really has been the one who's pushed us in the right direction moreso than any of those before him and even though he is yet to win a trophy, in modern days league consistency builds a club more than a sporadic trophy does. His achievements are so much greater than a lot seem to acknowledge because we haven't taken a cup at the end of one of his seasons.

I totally agree that it's about consistency and putting the club in a great position to push on from. You just have to look at Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany who won their first trophy in 30 years by beating Bayern to the cup and still lost 4 or 5 of their main players to rivals in the league who can pay more or have more glamerous names. This won't happen to Spurs, when they next win a trophy. But if you saw any of the scenes in the city when Frankfurt returned after that final - they were ecstatic.

But we shouldn't write off the trophy, just because we are doing well in the league. I think it's possible to achieve both. We had put ourselves in a good position in the competition in the last couple of seasons, and if we didn't have the injury problems this season, it could have been different. I'm not going to complain about the progress we are making. Hats off to Pochettino and his team for all they have achieved so far, but I would love to be able to celebrate winning a trophy. Let's hope we don't have to wait too much longer.

Granted that they could only beat what was in front of them and that other teams, including us fell by the wayside that year but they played the likes of Saint Etienne, Celta Vigo & Ajax who I'd expect Man U to overcome. It wasn't an amazing feat with the squad they had even if Mourinho likes to bask in the glory of it all.
It would be nice if Poch decided to bask in the glory of a win sometime. But for that he has to win something.

It would be nice if Poch decided to bask in the glory of a win sometime. But for that he has to win something.

Granted but when you look at Mourinho's run that season it did fall nicely for him in virtually every department along the way.

I've just checked out Pochettinos cup history with us. Makes for interesting reading:

League Cup 14/15 - Lost to Chelsea in final
League Cup 15/16 - lost to Woolwich in 3rd round
League Cup 16/17 - lost to Liverpool in 4th round
League Cup 17/18 - lost to West Ham in 4th round
League Cup 18/19 - lost to Chelsea in semi finals

Europe 14/15 - lost to Fiorentina round of 32
Europe 15/16 - lost to Borussia Dortmund round of 16
Europe 16/17 - lost to Gent round of 32
Europe 17/18 - lost to Juventus round of 16
Europe 18/19 - still competing

FA Cup 14/15 - lost to Leicester in 4th round
FA Cup 15/16 - lost to Crystal Palace in 5th round
FA Cup 16/17 - lost to Chelsea semi finals
FA Cup 17/18 - Lost to Man U semi finals
FA Cup 18/19 - Lost to Crystal Palace in fourth round

Clearly we've had a little bit of misfortune when it gets to the latter stages of cups, never pulling a Millwall or a Hull like Woolwich have over the past few years. Yes they've beaten the likes of City & Chelsea in other seasons but every team we've gone up against and lost to have been half decent. Not to say we shouldn't have beaten the likes of Palace, West Ham etc but I still think the rub of the green has evaded us somewhat. As for that Gent game, Dele getting himself sent off changed the complexion of the tie drastically. We still need to kick on in the cups however, some tough ties have stifled us, some sloppy games where we couldn't have performed better in the earlier rounds it seems.

Granted but when you look at Mourinho's run that season it did fall nicely for him in virtually every department along the way.

I've just checked out Pochettinos cup history with us. Makes for interesting reading:

League Cup 14/15 - Lost to Chelsea in final
League Cup 15/16 - lost to Woolwich in 3rd round
League Cup 16/17 - lost to Liverpool in 4th round
League Cup 17/18 - lost to West Ham in 4th round
League Cup 18/19 - lost to Chelsea in semi finals

Europe 14/15 - lost to Fiorentina round of 32
Europe 15/16 - lost to Borussia Dortmund round of 16
Europe 16/17 - lost to Gent round of 32
Europe 17/18 - lost to Juventus round of 16
Europe 18/19 - still competing

FA Cup 14/15 - lost to Leicester in 4th round
FA Cup 15/16 - lost to Crystal Palace in 5th round
FA Cup 16/17 - lost to Chelsea semi finals
FA Cup 17/18 - Lost to Man U semi finals
FA Cup 18/19 - Lost to Crystal Palace in fourth round

Clearly we've had a little bit of misfortune when it gets to the latter stages of cups, never pulling a Millwall or a Hull like Woolwich have over the past few years. Yes they've beaten the likes of City & Chelsea in other seasons but every team we've gone up against and lost to have been half decent. Not to say we shouldn't have beaten the likes of Palace, West Ham etc but I still think the rub of the green has evaded us somewhat. As for that Gent game, Dele getting himself sent off changed the complexion of the tie drastically. We still need to kick on in the cups however, some tough ties have stifled us, some sloppy games where we couldn't have performed better in the earlier rounds it seems.
Like youve pointed out, ManU did beat us last season in the semi as well. Pochs done brilliantly in the league but knock out stages of competitions and are something Poch has to improve us and himself on. Of course when we win the CL , this whole conversation would be pointless.

Like youve pointed out, ManU did beat us last season in the semi as well. Pochs done brilliantly in the league but knock out stages of competitions and are something Poch has to improve us and himself on. Of course when we win the CL , this whole conversation would be pointless.

I do wonder if it's down to our lack of consistency in the cups or teams like Man U & Chelsea being inconsistent in the league that sees us as under achievers in cup competitions. Probably a bit of both. One thing I do believe is if Man U, Chelsea etc had shown the same level of quality in the 38 league games as they did in the cup competitions they've been involved with it would have been far more challenging for us to finish as high up as we did.

I do think that our mindset changes drastically when it starts getting to the semi final stage of cups. Looking at our starting lineups in those 3rd round, 4th round, last 32 ties it's clearly a time where Poch prefers rest and rotation rather than going hell for leather.

Still, a cup win would obviously be nice and a great achievement for the club. Shame we haven't made the most of the very few favourable draws we've had during Pochettinos reign. Year ends in 1 soon however ;)

Please do - Mourinho is arguably the greatest manager of the modern era. However he was never the right fit for United - in terms of style, conduct and for the post Ferguson rebuild. A large section of their supporters said as much even before his appointment.
Nobody is ever going tobetter or even equal what Ferguson did at United! No matter how much money they have it’s not going to happen. Mourinho had money that got him places but he’s finished as for Clough bit before my time but his achievements were immense to do what he did with a provincial club like Forrest was possibly taken for granted at the time but to look back and think they were the best team in EUROPE twice was unbelievable! Everybody/manager/team needs luck as well Ferguson as we all know was one game away from the the sack that one moment in history can change things for the rest of someone’s career for the better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom