Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think we need to wait 2-3 more seasons to see this all come to fruition. The fact is spurs have been overachieving which has raised everyone’s expectations. But there needs to be time to get into the new stadium, get the plan kicked off to pay off the stadium and bring a few more players in. That all takes time and money. I mean realistically, if someone had told you at the beginning of poch’s time, we would finish 3rd on average and start to be considered as a top club, woukd you have taken it? I would!

We all want to win trophies but if we need to sack off a cup game to ensure a consistent league finish then we should do it. We need to be playing in the CL every season to allow the club to grow to where we all want it to be. It takes time!

Part of me wonders if that is why Poch won't buy the superstar. If he does, then he is committed to winning something and if the likes of Palace come along and knock us out of the FA cup or Spammers out of the League cup, then there is more pressure on him.

Perhaps Poch's "Be Brave" wasn't aimed at the club but more at himself.

I posted this on the Spurs Vs Girona thread back in August.
JohnH on 4th Aug 2018 said:
... Poch said something about being brave... I took that to mean being more reliant on youth. I may have that wrong.

I think it is quite evident that's what he meant.

He’s always spoken like that.....he always says it’s not his choice (basically, he could be fired)

He does seem to constantly contradict himself though.....he’s getting a bit Harry. Let’s just do some talking on the pitch between now and May
He has now said a couple of times he wants to stay. It would be better now to leave any questions on his future alone, just citing that he has clarified his own position.

Time to move on from this issue. Though the media won't I'm darned sure.

I think a lot will depend on wether Levy gets his bollocks out in the next 36 hours and finally backs his man with some real cash.

He couldn't have made his frustration any clearer yesterday with regard to our inability to sign a player that improves the squad.

You can't blame him for leaving the door slightly ajar

I posted this on the Spurs Vs Girona thread back in August.

I think it is quite evident that's what he meant.
More than anything it's about being "different" it absolutely doesn't mean "spend" which is what so many hung their hat on.

One of the things that I said at the time was that it was also about getting Levy to change, that change wasn't to spend "BIG" another miss interpretation at the time, I inferred that it was to not spend at all. Levy would always spend (always the debate was about the player that we spent money on good/bad/cheap option etc but he would always spend). Poch has broken this process of an agent knocking on Levy's door being offered a player, Poch wants a specific player for a specific position/function, he would rather have no-one than a player that doesn't fulfil his requirements.

This has come to pass.

The jury is still out on whether Poch has the ability to scout, identify and land he specific player (this obviously means not him as a solo operator but working with Hitchen and McDermott). The jury is still out on understanding if Poch wants a de Jong type player (assuming he knew his value would end up at £100m) or if he's fishing in a haystack for another Dele Alli at £5m, or both.

Ultimately though it's about being brave with our way, our convictions to be different. This is his most consistent message he has delivered, in fact, he's never once deviated away from it. It also demonstrates that he is totally in sync with Levy on how we fiscally operate and working within this.

At least the penny is dropping for that majority now:
a) Poch has been given the reigns, he's earned them.
b) There is zero rift, zero ultimatums, zero showdown talks with Levy. The absolute opposite is at play.
c) He's 100% committed to Tottenham. He always has been. His ability will always attract the admiration of other clubs, which in turns leads to speculation, but that speculation in the press is the process of those other clubs tapping up, it's not Poch saying "he's off". It's not "back me or I'm off".

I think a lot will depend on wether Levy gets his bollocks out in the next 36 hours and finally backs his man with some real cash.

He couldn't have made his frustration any clearer yesterday with regard to our inability to sign a player that improves the squad.

You can't blame him for leaving the door slightly ajar
Fuck me you STILL don't get it. You STILL have no clue as to what is going on.

He does seem to constantly contradict himself though.....he’s getting a bit Harry. Let’s just do some talking on the pitch between now and May
Oh. He contradicts himself, does he?

Yesterday you spent the whole afternoon and evening convincing us we should be taking him at his word.

Make yer fookin' mind up matey

Oh. He contradicts himself, does he?

Yesterday you spent the whole afternoon and evening convincing us we should be taking him at his word.

Make yer fookin' mind up matey

Yesterday his latest quote hadn’t been printed yet, so how could I have commented on it.

Of course he contradicts himself. He said (domestic) trophies were just “ego feeders”, then the next day he said “no one wants to win them more than me”.

In the summer he said it’s “day one” for the players, then continues to isolate Janssen and GKN

He says we want to win titles, then says we are aiming at top 4.

But what he hasn’t contradicted himself over is about the club’s policy and his commitment to it. Not sure what’s got you so giddy about that.

c. 20 pages since Poch's press conference.........let me guess, people are selectively quoting little parts of it to prove their own pre-conceived ideas of what he was trying to say instead of reading the entire press conference?

Back
Top Bottom