Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

After the quotes from Poch regarding cups and league position, he's put incredible pressure on himself to deliver another top 4 spot.

If he doesn't the cunt-off to end all cunt-offs begins.

But as you can see, it’s a myth that being in the CL attracts better players.
So failing to make top won’t affect the players we can sign, but it will be a financial blow and a big step backwards on the pitch.

Failure, like victory is a collective effort, from Levy to Poch to the players.

If players that can’t get us into the CL want to leave because we aren’t in the CL then maybe we need better anyway?
What would be interesting would be to see how seriously Poch would take the EL should we be in it.

His track record is shite in it, and I don’t think he rates it much higher than the Carabou, so unfortunately that ticket back would be out of the question.

Then it becomes a very difficult question because the ambition while laudable seems further away than it has for 2 or 3 seasons in my opinion.

I honestly believe only top 4 will put to rest a growing number of doubters.

Just my perception.

So who are you going to replace him with?
How funny is it that the best manager we have had in my lifetime is being lambasted at the moment and held accountable given the state of his available resources?
So many experts who know all the answers.
" I demand instant gratification and silverware"

Let's all just ignore the reality of the situation shall we?

Yep, getting rid of the jewel in the crown is going to solve everything.

Replace him? When? In 2039?

I want Poch here for 20 years, because it will all fall into place. But his comments went too far today, and basically show why we’ve whimped out with bizarre teams down the years

Then it becomes a very difficult question because the ambition while laudable seems further away than it has for 2 or 3 seasons in my opinion.

I honestly believe only top 4 will put to rest a growing number of doubters.

Just my perception.
Top 4 won’t appeaese anyone, even with our injuries and even without a signing.

It will put down to “luck”

Should we finish 5th, I just hope a lot of our fans take a break next season. Nothing like a bit of failure to separate the wheat from the chaff.

No CL football will be a kick in the teeth...for the club, financially and for the fans, because it’s nice to play Barcelona

But there are clubs supposedly miles ahead of us that have played EL football much more than us over the last five years. They didn’t implode so why shall we.

Fans have a choice, support the club or don’t. Not much more to it really, but supporting 10% of the club and constantly slagging off the rest of it doesn’t work.

Poch has dismissed trophies as being irrelevant , which must be the blueprint from the club.
Many would have been sacked for such comments for a top 6 club.
As he know is unlikely to be offered the Man Utd job , he may as well distance himself from the position and give the downtrodden some reinsurance .
Hopefully we can move forward but as our only ambition is top 4 , not to have a go at a title , then repetition may become jaded over time.

Poch has dismissed trophies as being irrelevant , which must be the blueprint from the club.
Many would have been sacked for such comments for a top 6 club.
As he know is unlikely to be offered the Man Utd job , he may as well distance himself from the position and give the downtrodden some reinsurance .
Hopefully we can move forward but as our only ambition is top 4 , not to have a go at a title , then repetition may become jaded over time.

Maybe our manager lacks winning mentality and needs to learn what’s beneath us and what isn’t.

Top 4 is the clubs target.

He isn’t forbidden from winning a domestic cup though. He just chooses to use it as a playground

After the quotes from Poch regarding cups and league position, he's put incredible pressure on himself to deliver another top 4 spot.

People are quick to ask “what if we fail to make CL under this model”.....not so many willing to ask “what if Poch gets his players next summer and we win fuck all again” though.....

Disagree all you like, it’s Pochs words not mine
Indeed they are - here one more time for you ignore

"We cannot think we are the cleverest people in the world and that we will win trophies by spending small money"

What did you think he meant by that exactly - please explain

Should we finish 5th, I just hope a lot of our fans take a break next season. Nothing like a bit of failure to separate the wheat from the chaff.

No CL football will be a kick in the teeth...for the club, financially and for the fans, because it’s nice to play Barcelona

But there are clubs supposedly miles ahead of us that have played EL football much more than us over the last five years. They didn’t implode so why shall we.

Fans have a choice, support the club or don’t. Not much more to it really, but supporting 10% of the club and constantly slagging off the rest of it doesn’t work.

Thing is Sammy it's easier supporting a club when you feel they share your desires to win things. After all, why enter a cup if you don't intend to win it? I feel a success with this team at whatever level bursts the bubble. It proves we can be winner and gives the players more belief and more drive.

Poch limiting us to 2 trophies a year, trophies in which the big boys with the top players play in, is surely a risky business.

We desperately need to work out who we are and where we want to go. Are we an up and coming team wanting to sweep all before us or are we a plucky underdog who might get a few good results and be a thorn in the side without ever being victorious.

The Neil Kinnock of football clubs.

Indeed they are - here one more time for you ignore

"We cannot think we are the cleverest people in the world and that we will win trophies by spending small money"

What did you think he meant by that exactly - please explain
You cut it off, I told you there is no context when you don’t finish the paragraph

You disagree with him saying “the club has been brave” regarding no signings.

Then demand I explain five lines of an entire interview that you have shoehorned into the only part you like.

People are quick to ask “what if we fail to make CL under this model”.....not so many willing to ask “what if Poch gets his players next summer and we win fuck all again” though.....

Part of me wonders if that is why Poch won't buy the superstar. If he does, then he is committed to winning something and if the likes of Palace come along and knock us out of the FA cup or Spammers out of the League cup, then there is more pressure on him.

Perhaps Poch's "Be Brave" wasn't aimed at the club but more at himself.

Nope, I think everyone pretty much on here supports the club. If it's in your blood you have no other choice.

Slagging bits off as you put it or being critical as I might put it are not mutually exclusive to still supporting the club.

I don't think any Spurs fan of the last few years has believed a Prem league title was realistic although the season in which Leicester won was a golden opportunity.

Pochettino seems to fit what Levy and the club want but my take on it is that the more Pochettino comes out with his mantra on cup competitions (his attitude to the semi-final of the league cup was completely at odds with not seeing it as worth winning mind you) then for me the more he boxes himself into a corner.

Other top managers talk of the need to win things. No one is suggesting winning a domestic cup should be the pinnacle or height of a top club's ambition but picking up the odd bit of silverware is part of that sign of progress. In many respects it has to be.

And it has to be because in one-off critical games during a league season or whatever, key games are exactly like a cup match.

Last edited:
You cut it off, I told you there is no context when you don’t finish the paragraph

You disagree with him saying “the club has been brave” regarding no signings.

Then demand I explain five lines of an entire interview that you have shoehorned into the only part you like.
I want you to explain that specific sentence - I know your views on the rest. Own up for once

Think this guy sums it up well...

I sum it up better

All spurs fans vs [numpties]

Hope we win something sometime . Its been a decade [ Fuck these cups, top 4 is the best!!!]
Hope we buy just 1 player this window [low net spend trophy1!!]
Play some academy players if they are any good [ Just yoof yoof everywhere , no spending trophy record holders!]
Poch pls stay but youve won fuck all still [ This is the best it can ever get]
Poch mate get some more quality players so you can rotate [No need to buy anyone, just play them constantly till they break]

Not really - so a few fans will call him out and go mental at him........he'll still have offers from United and Real

I like reading your posts and I did think of you every time Tripps made a mistake today (verging on an unhealthy situation then...) but it’s misguided if somewhat understandable statement to say that the FA Cup is dead. You can reference the money but to supporters on the ground and most people involved in the game, the FA Cup is absolutely a major trophy, it does mean a lot, and that’s why you’re seeing very strong teams winning it year after year. It’s also got a level of romance and intrigue that the CL will never have, with match-ups and results that European competition can’t come close to.
I agree with you to some extent, I am a lover of the FA Cup, I want it to remain a trophy, I don't like to see it sponsored, I don't want to see it molested in any way shape or form (e.g. replays must be played until there is a winner, fuck these new format playing times, fuck how they now do the draw on the One Show, fuck semi-finals at Wembley etc...), some of the greatest sporting competitions in the Wolrd are such because they are steeped in history and kept alive via nostalgic fans, but almost all of these events pay the top dollar in prize money also. Wimbledon (the jewel in the crown of Tennis Grand Slams had to change its entire outlook and re-invest in itself 20yrs ago as it was lagging far behind the others, it's 3rd highest payer now I think).

Ask yourself why there were so many empty seats at Selhurst Park (almost an entire stand empty) yesterday between 2 London Clubs an all PL clash? Every game I watched on the TV across this weekend at the first rounds all played in half-empty grounds, why? It's dead.

It is dominated by the Top Four over the last 25yrs or so because they have the best teams, their 'B' Teams are still better than the 'B' Teams they play against and if they are drawn against lower league opposition their 'C' Teams are better than those first teams (most of the time).

Maybe I'm just getting too old, but every single year it's the same argument (not just Spurs but ALL clubs), It's so fucking boring. When a PL team loses to a lower league side they get lambasted for fielding a weakened team, when they win they get praised for their squad depth and use of the whole squad every single year, the same discussion, it proves one thing that this isn't a big Cup to win anymore, it hasn't been for years.

Do I want to win it? Absolutely 100% I do. But it isn't a "Big" cup. Managers still get sacked after reaching a final or even winning it. The prize money doesn't even cover the wages of the best player in the team.

Poch is the only Manager with the balls to say this, all the other managers take one step back whilst he's standing out there on his own, consistent in his views. Meanwhile, Klopp who got knocked out of both cups at the first time of asking was praised (bravely and rightly so IMO) by Carragher, claiming this was Liverpool's best chance of winning the league and you know what it's probably going to work for them too. If the draw is kind you can reach at least the semis by fielding a heavily rotated side, hell Chelsea left their two best players on the bench when they played us in the semi's, Conte got praised for this too, tactical genius remember!

A healthy vibrant competition is a competition that teams are desperate to win, reflected in fielding a strong side, in turn, it is played to packed stadia, with the winner benefiting from their spoils with a healthy bank balance.

The FA Cup is dead.

I want you to explain that specific sentence - I know your views on the rest. Own up for once

You’re not in a position to make demands because you disagreed with a direct quote where Poch said the club was brave not to sign anyone.

The rest of the interview is here;

We are thinking now we need to make our new stadium home and we know it will be tough in the beginning to settle there,” he told a post-match news conference.

I have a very clear idea of what we need to do. I don’t know if the club will agree with me or not, but we are going to talk next week to create what I think we need to do together to improve.

“Until today it was so difficult to talk about the future, but from now we need to decide the way and how we are going to operate in the future.

“Our fans need to know what we are going to do and our fans need to feel the reality of the club and we need to tell the truth and create a very good expectation we can achieve. We cannot create dreams that we are not going to achieve.

“The first step is to be close and challenge the sides who invest more than us and find a way. We need to think our reality is different and our fans need to think and be happy and support us because we are not a club who will spend crazy money.

I think Daniel is going to listen to me, but you know sometimes I might have some crazy ideas. With our unbelievable fans, sometimes you need to be brave and take risks. I think the club is in a moment where they need to take risks."

So while Poch says we cant spend small money, he also says we need to be clever and find another way. Take risks. No signings is risky wouldn’t you say.
He then says we will not spend crazy money and the fans need to understand that and support him.

Another way, while not spending small money was clearly keeping our best players and paying them more and not buying any old crap to appease some fans.

He went on to say the club has been brave by investing a billion in the ground. Not small money is it. He talks about his “crazy” ideas.....and says he will NOT spend “crazy” money.
So if his crazy idea is not to spend crazy money, then I guess it was to not sign anyone. As that would be considered crazy, and signing 5 players wouldn’t.

He then said the club made a brave decision not to sign.
Disagree as much as you want. As I said, they are Pochs words, not mine.

Now I’ve explained what I think he meant in your one paragraph.
Can you explain what he meant when he said “it was our decision. It was a brave decision” regarding the last window.

Last edited:
Other top managers talk of the need to win things. No one is suggesting winning a domestic cup should be the pinnacle or height of a top club's ambition but picking up the odd bit of silverware is part of that sign of progress. In many respects it has to be.

And it has to be because in one-off critical games it's exactly like a cup match.

Yeah and that’s on the manager and players
There’s enough talent here to have won the Carabou once over the last 4 seasons

Back
Top Bottom