Palace Vs Tottenham - FA Cup 4th Round.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t get all the knee jerking, blame gaming going on, disappointment of course, it is fucking disappointing, but the last couple of results surly can not have come as a shock to anybody?
We are a good team who have improved drastically over the past 5/6 years, a team who regularly claim a top 4 spot in the league these days, now granted, that has all been helped by luckily having at least two of the other top 6 teams having shit seasons for whatever reasons, but that’s their problem not ours. At least we have been able to take advantage, and that alone for me has removed the Spursy tag/label from this club.
We are not an ELITE club, nowhere close, because that title is reserved for teams who can finish 5th or 6th one year and win the league, or a few cups the next without missing a beat (all the other top 6 clubs can do it, but we can’t)
All we can hope for is this stadium thing does the trick over the next few seasons

FA Cup is still important but the writing was on the wall when United, as the title holders, skipped the competition for the Club World Cup in 2000, no doubt for more exposure and income, with the FA’s blessing.

If the FA didn’t even take their own cup seriously two decades ago, I’m not surprised Poch prioritizes participating in the Champions League over it.

The FA needed to increase the prize money at the same rate as it went up in the PL and CL, instead of thinking the prestige of the competition would last forever.

The ship has sailed though, as they will never get the sponsorship or fan interest to generate the funds to compete.

If they winners got, say, £50m every PL team would be playing their first 11.

Dont start melting because someone disagrees with your views. Not everyone likes to pretend to themselves everything is perfect. If you like eating shit then do so. Dont force others to see the benefits of eating shit. Its your own choice you idiot.

Others who dont like the thought of our club not trying to win smaller comps while not capable of winning the big ones will carry on disliking what they see. Its childish to want others to agree with you. On a forum people of different opinions talk to each other and there can be opposite views. Live with it.
Bang on

The FA needed to increase the prize money at the same rate as it went up in the PL and CL, instead of thinking the prestige of the competition would last forever.

The ship has sailed though, as they will never get the sponsorship or fan interest to generate the funds to compete.

If they winners got, say, £50m every PL team would be playing their first 11.
Only other way to do it would be to give a CL spot to the winner rather than 4th in the league.

I think this would be a massively stupid decision, though, and all the big clubs would push back against it due to the inherent nature of knockout competitions and random draws. They’d have to basically seed it like a once it got to the third round, which would make it NOT the FA Cup.

Only other way to do it would be to give a CL spot to the winner rather than 4th in the league.

I think this would be a massively stupid decision, though, and all the big clubs would push back against it due to the inherent nature of knockout competitions and random draws. They’d have to basically seed it like a once it got to the third round, which would make it NOT the FA Cup.

They couldn't do that, the CL representatives have to come from the PL - the FA Cup winner can theoretically be from non-league football.

Ah, and so the stadium card gets played. Again.

When you've had your pants pulled down and you're little bottom slapped ........let's bring up the stadium.

The last resort of a beaten man.

touche
Difference being, what you brought up was false.

You actually did deny a stadium being built. You actually did say we'd come 10th-14th in the year we came 3rd. You actually did say Saido Berahino, Marouane Fellaini and Charlie Austin should be bought to take us to the next level. You actually did say Stoke are our rivals. You actually did say Everton and Bournemouth would surpass us. You actually did say we should spend £50m on Jack Grealish.

Consider that your pants pulled down and bottom slapped.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
They couldn't do that, the CL representatives have to come from the PL - the FA Cup winner can theoretically be from non-league football.
I thought the domestic leagues could decide how to hand out their spots? So the FA Cup winner could be granted a CL spot if in the PL, otherwise it reverts to the 4th place team. Similar to how the Europa spots work (if not A, then B).

Also the stadium stuff is all bullshit, why didn’t instead of building a stadium we didn’t use massive amounts of money to push forward and be like Liverpool buy players for 50-70 million pay player 150k plus

It’s just crazy few years time we gonna have a great stadium and be playing in uefa cup

Only recently Chelsea started sorting out there stadium plans but bore that they made a priority of winning trophies and winning the league and being a force

Why didn’t we go that route, basically it’s all greed bigger stadium for there own gain, all you freaks on about don’t care about winning da cup or league cup watch this bite you in the face a few years time we be back in uefa and winning fuck all

Let me see for next season

Man City will improve
Liverpool will improve
Chelsea will improve
Woolwich will improve
Man Utd will improve

Tottenham mmmmmm will we improve ??

See us going backwards

Every player wants to win something even a crappie cup like the league cup

Harry Kane wanna won things you think they wanna sit at home with nothing to show for all there efforts

Most of you that think the cup is pointless are fucking dumb

So we can score v place how da fuck we gonna score we Dortmund

Even if we go through we won’t win it and the deluded fans out there be like oh we gonna win champions league

Ffs we need a trophie / a final a day out with the kids family and see our team lift a trophy

If there are no players out there who could improve our squad how come Palace can field a team against us that is, in roughly 7 positions better than our team today ?

I’d never buy and play Kouyate over a fit Dier, but i’d have him over a hobbled Wanyama. Equally i’d not pick van Aanholt over Rose, but would have him in the team over KWP. Wickham or Benteke or Stirling running on ? And we all know about Zaha ( who I detest by the way )

Our best 14 players are a match for anyone, but go beyond that it’s a dramatic drop off. That team we had out today would not finish top 10 in the premier league. I’d suggest it would not finish above Palace even on evidence. So any pretending that the squad is good enough is that. Pretending. It should not be a surprise that that team today lost 2-0. The more I consider what’s happened the more I do realise that no one in charge will likely give a shit.

Please.... Don't even go there!

Benteke has been a ridiculous fail at Palace (and barely any better at Liverpool!)... Barely scores, fucks his penalties and often injured... So much so that they preferred a striker-less system (ring any bells?)... Dubious work ethic t'boot.

....All that for £30m in old money?

On a more general note; perspective.... You're ranking our bench (in some cases 3rd string players) vs their best players. Their £70m-rated talisman is better than GKN who is only even making the squad through absolute necessity... Hardly a surprise, nor particularly poignant.

Also the stadium stuff is all bullshit, why didn’t instead of building a stadium we didn’t use massive amounts of money to push forward and be like Liverpool buy players for 50-70 million pay player 150k plus

It’s just crazy few years time we gonna have a great stadium and be playing in uefa cup

Only recently Chelsea started sorting out there stadium plans but bore that they made a priority of winning trophies and winning the league and being a force

Why didn’t we go that route, basically it’s all greed bigger stadium for there own gain, all you freaks on about don’t care about winning da cup or league cup watch this bite you in the face a few years time we be back in uefa and winning fuck all

Man City will improve
Liverpool will improve
Chelsea will improve
Woolwich will improve
Man Utd will improve

See us going backwards

Harry Kane wanna won things you think they wanna sit at home with nothing to show for all there efforts

Even if we go through we won’t win it and the deluded fans out there be like oh we gonna win champions league

Ffs we need a trophie / a final a day out with the kids family and see our team lift a trophy
You sound fun.

Am I the only one who is not that upset about what happened? Of course I would have preferred a Spurs win, but under the circumstances, I'd much rather throw that squad out there and look at the long term health of the players (i.e Sonny and Eriksen) for the rest of the season. Sure we can complain that a lack of signings have hurt, but in what universe would signings have prepared us for what happened to the squad?

On a side note... I find it disgusting that certain websites characterize what's happening with the scum as and "injury crisis," but no mention of Spurs.

Man City will improve
Liverpool will improve
Chelsea will improve
Woolwich will improve
Man Utd will improve

See us going backwards

chelsea are a billion pounds in debt.

Back home and frozen to the core. After 3 away matches in a week, with how each ended up, I’m feeling mentally and emotionally broken, which may explain the tone of what I type.

Last Sunday I was ecstatic; today I’m just feeling sad at the state of our game and the approach of the club.

I don’t care what certain armchair fans or media people say, the FA Cup is a major trophy and it matters a lot. Look at the viewing figures for the matches on the BBC this weekend. It’s been a great weekend for the competition with some cracking results and lots of interesting matches. You can also look at the loyalty points needed for Tranmere and today.

It certainly matters to our club, and the atmosphere in the away end before the game reflected the anticipation, interest and excitement.

The support has been immense this past week. At SB we sang to the death and gave the team a standing ovation after the penalties, with loud support for Eric Dier.

Today, it was noisy again, and still very strong in the second half when it was clear we were going out. It would have been nice for Poch to show some appreciation for the backing we consistently give - it ain’t easy, it ain’t cheap, but it’s done out of passion and love for the badge.

I don’t blame Poch for these past two games. Who else can he pick? Maybe we could have started both games better but I’m no coach so can’t comment with any insight.

The positive today was that the youngsters got a run out and mostly looked decent - Foyth was a beast -but the rest are only as good as their talent allows. Sadly, it’s not good enough.

I just feel that the club are putting too much on our core squad, and beside the injury and exhaustion risk, surely some of them will be feeling just a bit miffed that they’re being left on their own. We have been unlucky with injuries, but we should also have better backup, and we need that quality of backup to be competitive for trophies.

The key question for me to our owners would be, what is the point of the ‘project’ if we’re passing up on winnable trophies along the way? Surely trophies are the aim? Or, as some feel, is the aim to create a compelling asset that some mega investor will acquire thereby filling ENIC’s coffers with the dividend they only ever got into football for.

Wednesday is huge.
Fantastic post mate and I'm sure most of us share your pain and frustration .

As a supporter who's actually coughed up and made the financial and emotional commitment to attend 3 away games in a week i think your views carry far more clout than mine and anyone else who's spent the afternoon arguing and squabbling from the comfort of their living rooms.

You deserve better and you deserve our respect.

Top man and a top Yid.

Coys

Back
Top Bottom