January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Given the current situation, there's no way they're letting GKN go unless someone else is coming in. Until we know who that is, there's little point debating whether going on loan to Besiktas is a good idea. Up until the precise moment he put in that cross on Sunday, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid whether he left or not.

Given the current situation, there's no way they're letting GKN go unless someone else is coming in. Until we know who that is, there's little point debating whether going on loan to Besiktas is a good idea. Up until the precise moment he put in that cross on Sunday, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid whether he left or not.
The only way they are letting him go is if they are freeing up a place for a foreign player to come in.

Right now anything seems possible.

We are not buying anyone - full stop - open the summer transfer window. According to everyone in football we were a small club who everyone should have left because we didn't play in the champions league. Now we are a small club who play consistently in the champions league but have not won anything so everyone should leave. God forbid we win the league otherwise the next shower of shit they will come up with is we are only a small club who hasn't won the champions league - so everyone should leave and so the media circus continues.

This is pretty stupid! We don't buy players because we built a stadium!

Very highly paid people will have worked out (well I hope so anyway) that you need to do both (OK we need to be a bit cautious on player recruitment over the next few years, but we still need to reinforce the squad at every transfer window).

We can't have a state of the art stadium and play in the Championship.

Two things... you say "Bournemouth is a tiny club with big ambitions", intimating that we don't have big ambitions. That's not correct, look at the behemoth of a building that we've put up in North London that takes us onto the level of the biggest handful of clubs in world football. Is that not an ambitious action to take? It is.

Secondly... If people honestly think there's no correlation between the stadium being built and the lack of transfers then it's rather odd. We have a very savvy, financially responsible CEO. It's pretty clear that he doesn't want to drop £50million at this moment. I suspect that's connected to his general financial management of the stadium. If you don't then great but I suspect it''s pretty likely you're wrong.

Two things... you say "Bournemouth is a tiny club with big ambitions", intimating that we don't have big ambitions. That's not correct, look at the behemoth of a building that we've put up in North London that takes us onto the level of the biggest handful of clubs in world football. Is that not an ambitious action to take? It is.

Secondly... If people honestly think there's no correlation between the stadium being built and the lack of transfers then it's rather odd. We have a very savvy, financially responsible CEO. It's pretty clear that he doesn't want to drop £50million at this moment. I suspect that's connected to his general financial management of the stadium. If you don't then great but I suspect it''s pretty likely you're wrong.
It depends on the club's version of ambition in that are they geared up to win the league probably not but if we won it that's a bonus, or as i suspect a similar model to Woolwich in maintaining a top four finish and keep the coin rolling in without ever really threatening the big boy's.
I guess it's ENICs perogative as they own the club to manage how they see fit until such time as they sell up but the parallels to Woolwich look similar so far.

It's pretty clear that he doesn't want to drop £50million at this moment.

I'm not referring to the £50m+ signings that we'd hope would walk into the 1st team (difficult if everyone is fit), but what about the £10 - £20 m squad players that can be developed by the manager? Foyth (and with apologies), Janssen, N'koudou, N'jie? None of them either?

Kalinic, 31, slower than a wet Tuesday, shit at Blackburn, refused to come on as a sub in the World Cup, 4 in 18 for Atleti, 6 in 41 for Milan, swerve.
Who cares if he scores goals for us though

Everyone wants signings, then they say “no not him” to nearly everyone linked.

They moan when the club also says no the same players

It depends on the club's version of ambition in that are they geared up to win the league probably not but if we won it that's a bonus, or as i suspect a similar model to Woolwich in maintaining a top four finish and keep the coin rolling in without ever really threatening the big boy's.
I guess it's ENICs perogative as they own the club to manage how they see fit until such time as they sell up but the parallels to Woolwich look similar so far.

That's a totally reasonable thing to think mate, you might be right. The other fella called me stupid because I linked no signings to us building a stadium with hundreds of millions of other people's money.

You might be right. The obvious point to make though is that woolwich too probably did the right thing initially. They built a bloody big stadium and tightened the purse strings to make it happen. I'd suggest that both clubs don't/didn't have the capacity to build a stadium and then also match the spending of Utd, Liverpool and City to win the league BY SPENDING at the same time.

The difference is that we've kept Poch to this point and will hopefully back him in the near future, and he'll have the ability and tools to push on. Woolwich had an old frenchman in charge who couldn't then deliver after the stadium was build and the money did start coming in.

Regardless, some people ranting about lack of signings as if we're not undertaking one of the biggest building projects in London after Crossrail are retarded.

Levy said "the stadium won't directly impact on the transfer policy. There is a certain amount earmarked for transfers and the club can only spend what is available".

Is he lying?

I'm not referring to the £50m+ signings that we'd hope would walk into the 1st team (difficult if everyone is fit), but what about the £10 - £20 m squad players that can be developed by the manager? Foyth (and with apologies), Janssen, N'koudou, N'jie? None of them either?

So four of the previous players you use as examples of the level we should sign haven't worked out?

But, I get your point. Two things, one is that we might sign a player of that level, the window isn't closed yet and secondly, perhaps the most responsible move financially is not to spend £10-20 million either.

Levy said "the stadium won't directly impact on the transfer policy. There is a certain amount earmarked for transfers and the club can only spend what is available".

Is he lying?

I think he was a little bit yes, for PR purposes. The two things are clearly connected aren't they - massive loans + spend on huge project = tightening budgets elsewhere.

When Levy started with the "it won't effect transfers" thing, perhaps he was quite clever. We still signed Sanchez, Aurier, Moura etc etc over the past few windows, Poch hasn't left and currently we're third. Perhaps if he'd said "we have no money at all because of the stadium", we would't be where we are.

Back
Top Bottom