Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Oh god the revenue argument, again.

Yeah let’s completely ignore the fact that we have/had one of the best teams in the league for the last 4 seasons. Ignore the fact that only City have amassed more points than us in that time. Ignore the fact that vastly inferior United and Woolwich sides have won silverware in that period. It doesn’t matter what players we have does it?We could have the greatest side in history but there still shouldn’t be any expectation or pressure for silverware because 5 other teams have larger revenue streams than us. That’s all that counts - It’s absolutely laughable. Such comments just highlight the issue here - so many supporters simply don’t believe we deserve to be in this position, they can’t move beyond their inferiority complex with the elite clubs. So no I won’t go and support City - I don’t need too because we have a team that should be winning silverware it’s easily good enough too. It’s a shame that you can’t see this or don’t want to believe this.

Also I'm not saying we shouldn't have won something, one thing at least in the last 4 season s but it hasn't happened and the club are still healthy, still moving along and consistently bettering themselves year on year across the whole spectrum of things that lead to long term success.

What would your choice of action be right now? You run the club, what would you do differently?

The last two seasons FA cup semi-finals would suggest we are no nearer than the previous other 6 semi-final defeats.

Look at the quality of the top 6 now and ask yourself this..... are the top teams in the league better collectively than they have ever been throughout Premier League history???

When Man U dominated it was either them or Woolwich or them vs Chelsea. Here's one for you, are Liverpool a better team now or when they were winning the cups they won under Houllier etc?

We compete in a league that has the most money now. Apart from Real Madrid, Barcelona & Juve our teams are the ones with clout. Even Everton have a record transfer that is more than Bayern Munich these days the game has changed, the league has changed and so have the domestic competitions.

Our bread and butter is the League at present. Staying in touchi distance whilst building our brand, fan base and revenue for the long term. If you can't see it or don't like it, do yourselves a favour boys and girls and jump on the Liverpudlian bandwagon for a few years until our club has built itself into what it strives to become.

We all want success, but how we are doing it after near on two decades of really falling behind will and must take time if we do it ensuring the safety of the clubs future. It's just how it goes so do yourselves a favour, accept it and get on with supporting the team

The revenue thing does matter though doesn't it surely? Yes we have a great team but you miss the point that we are building or at least trying to build a new identity at the club. It's not about a quick Cup or hindsight it's about now and the future.

We won the league cup with Berbatov, Keane & Ramos etc only to get off to the worst start to a season in our history the following year. Honestly would you rather taste the success of a cup followed by a travesty such as that or focus on the bigger picture which is ultimately staying with the pack chasi the long term who have vastly different resources than we do?

Of those four seasons we've had to deal with 2 of them at a neutral ground, ridding ourselves of home advantage largely, one at a reduced capacity that saw a whole corner of the place wiped from being there and we've had to do so operating on a different level to others.

A trophy would have been nice but if you honestly value a cup win over the longevity of the Champions League and the impact the rise in our global profile has over a domestic shot in the arm you don't see what modern football is mate.

We have a great team. Could we have done more? Possibly. Am I the happiest I've been as a Spurs fan these past four seasons when we have broken record after record for points, goals, finances etc? 100%

The club is on an organic route that is so hard to crack & we are well on our way. You seem frustrated by something the club has or hasn't done so practically & honestly I'd love to know what that is

What new identity? Define that for me? We are the sixth biggest club by revenue now and we will remain that even with the new stadium. In terms of financial capacity - there is a ceiling and that has been reached.

And the notion that the CL is the solution is what is so absurd. All of the vaunted benefits have proven to be false - all of them and yet the supporter base still desperately clings to misguided belief that this is the gateway to the elite.

We are not an elite club, we are not going be an elite club but we have built, despite against the odds, an elite side and yet rather than trying to utilise that in the small window we have this the supporters want to focus our efforts on trying to become an elite club. It’s absolute madness.

It’s not even funny at this point - it’s as you are blind to realities of what happened with Woolwich. Somehow it will be different with us.

If you are happy to see yet another talented Spurs fail to realise its potential then something is truly a miss. Seemingly the only thing we truly excel at is finding reasons why we cannot achieve success. It’s all there wrapped up in your posts. It doesn’t matter what players we have, it doesn’t matter what team we put out because we are the sixth largest club by revenue and therefore have already lost.

Be transparent about the stadium project and the club's financial situation!

That's step 1. The question is impossible to answer otherwise.

So the only thing the club could and should do differently right now is open up about what's going on, even if they don't know themselves as everything so far is speculative? If it's been wired up, as hard as it is for people to grasp it we really can't blame the club. It's a shame but if you hire someone and they are a highly respected company only to fuck up what more can the club do?

Apart from the stadium then, at this time or in the summer, or over the past four seasons what would you/ could you do differently as I hear so many rant and rave yet offer not an ounce or wisdom or solution when it comes to it. We've hired one of the best young managers in the world, we are building one of the best new stadiums in the world, we have taken a punt on one of the worlds best young talents and we have nurtured one of the best strikers in the world. I honestly would love someone or many to point out to me why they are so appalled with the club to the point where moaning seems like part and parcel of being a supporter these days

What new identity? Define that for me? We are the sixth biggest club by revenue now and we will remain that even with the new stadium. In terms of financial capacity - there is a ceiling and that has been reached.

And the notion that the CL is the solution is what is so absurd. All of the vaunted benefits have proven to be false - all of them and yet the supporter base still desperately clings to misguided belief that this is the gateway to the elite.

We are not an elite club, we are not going be an elite club but we have built, despite against the odds, an elite side and yet rather than trying to utilise that in the small window we have this the supporters want to focus our efforts on trying to become an elite club. It’s absolute madness.

It’s not even funny at this point - it’s as you are blind to realities of what happened with Woolwich. Somehow it will be different with us.

If you are happy to see yet another talented Spurs fail to realise its potential then something is truly a miss. Seemingly the only thing we truly excel at is finding reasons why we cannot achieve success. It’s all there wrapped up in your posts. It doesn’t matter what players we have, it doesn’t matter what team we put out because we are the sixth largest club by revenue and therefore have already lost.

When has the club has as much success as a consistent football club in the league as we are having these days? When in our history have we ever had such a consistent spell? 3rd, 2nd & 3rd, 86 points, our record for a league season ever the season before last. Going from Spursy, lads it's Tottenham to drawing with the likes of Barcelona, Juventus & Real Madrid away. We've gone from being the team that concedes last minute goals to the team scoring them, no doubt sees us as a pushover or a pisstake now do you know how difficult that is for a team to do whilst breaking even in the transfer market whilst trying to build arguably a stadium none of us could have imagined?

If we want to stand any chance of serious long term success we have to do it a different way to the others. They are commercially light years ahead of us and if you offered me a lifetime of having the chance to say we mixed it with the genuine giants of the game game or a quick flash in the pan followed by mediocrity I would always choose consistency.

Woolwich had to take a step back to grow as a club and are still struggling because of it, I sincerely hope our boys don't but it's a choice the club needed to make. The stadium is so important to the future of our club that it astounds me so many overlook it. It's a time to be patient, to back the club, to enjoy the consistency we are experiencing and to back the team to give it every chance to grow in way very few teams are able to.

Personally I do see Tottenham Hotspur as an elite club, I feel honoured to have fallen into supporting such a great & historic team and I commend the clubs ambitions to take it to wherever it can potentially get to.

The Champions League money and rise in profile is of paramount importance for the next five years, give me that over a Carabao Cup any day of the week. For me it's a pleasure seeing my club grow at this moment in time, even if others fail to see it. Each to their own I guess but it's a long term thing in my opinion. Let's see how the club matures over the next 5-10 years.

Personally I think the club is doing a terrific job when so many are sounding their money and futures just to keep up with the crowd. I sincerely hope Pochettino stays, even if you clearly feel he and the team have been failures in recent years. I grew up watching the likes of Ruel Fox, Alton Thelwell & Andy Booth mate, maybe our perception of where the club was and now is is completely different

Apart from the stadium then, at this time or in the summer, or over the past four seasons what would you/ could you do differently as I hear so many rant and rave yet offer not an ounce or wisdom or solution when it comes to it.

I can't speak for everybody, but I've been pretty vocally in support of the Levy/ENIC plan for long term success in broad strokes. It's the right idea. I'd say I have three concerns:

1. We're hitting some turbulence on the way there. Archway, Brexit, dodgy wiring, lack of sponsor, etc, the stadium hasn't gone according to plan and the strain on our financial health seems obvious at this point.

2. How much of the added funds of our improved revenue-generating structure are actually going to be put back into the squad? ENIC could just eat all the money. What wage+net spend/turnover figures we have access to certainly indicate they have an appetite for it.

3. Even if everything goes according to plan, will we have missed our window by the time the financial muscle is in place? You don't always get to plan for when good fortune strikes. Our manager and squad at this very moment is nothing short of a miracle. The hundreds of millions we might be able to spend in a decade may go much, much less far then than they would go now. What a shame that would be.

Again, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not appalled or angry, I'm worried. The high-wire act we're performing right now is exhilarating, and they say you shouldn't look down, but I can't help it.

Look at the quality of the top 6 now and ask yourself this..... are the top teams in the league better collectively than they have ever been throughout Premier League history???

When Man U dominated it was either them or Woolwich or them vs Chelsea. Here's one for you, are Liverpool a better team now or when they were winning the cups they won under Houllier etc?

We compete in a league that has the most money now. Apart from Real Madrid, Barcelona & Juve our teams are the ones with clout. Even Everton have a record transfer that is more than Bayern Munich these days the game has changed, the league has changed and so have the domestic competitions.

Our bread and butter is the League at present. Staying in touchi distance whilst building our brand, fan base and revenue for the long term. If you can't see it or don't like it, do yourselves a favour boys and girls and jump on the Liverpudlian bandwagon for a few years until our club has built itself into what it strives to become.

We all want success, but how we are doing it after near on two decades of really falling behind will and must take time if we do it ensuring the safety of the clubs future. It's just how it goes so do yourselves a favour, accept it and get on with supporting the team
The safety of the club's future is assured with the amount of money that is sloshing around the game these days and I don't know why people like yourselves keep banging on about it as if it's a case of buy someone too expensive and were doomed mantra absolute garbage.
As for the team it has massively under achieved for years everyone in the football world knows it just because these teams have money doesn't excuse the fact that we have lost 8 semi-final appearances in a row which is both a record and a disgrace.
I don't need telling on how to support my team I've done it all my life and will continue to do so but unlike yourself I'm not as accepting or naive to keep accepting excuses for serial failure from the club.

Last edited:
The revenue thing does matter though doesn't it surely? Yes we have a great team but you miss the point that we are building or at least trying to build a new identity at the club. It's not about a quick Cup or hindsight it's about now and the future.

We won the league cup with Berbatov, Keane & Ramos etc only to get off to the worst start to a season in our history the following year. Honestly would you rather taste the success of a cup followed by a travesty such as that or focus on the bigger picture which is ultimately staying with the pack chasi the long term who have vastly different resources than we do?

Of those four seasons we've had to deal with 2 of them at a neutral ground, ridding ourselves of home advantage largely, one at a reduced capacity that saw a whole corner of the place wiped from being there and we've had to do so operating on a different level to others.

A trophy would have been nice but if you honestly value a cup win over the longevity of the Champions League and the impact the rise in our global profile has over a domestic shot in the arm you don't see what modern football is mate.

We have a great team. Could we have done more? Possibly. Am I the happiest I've been as a Spurs fan these past four seasons when we have broken record after record for points, goals, finances etc? 100%

The club is on an organic route that is so hard to crack & we are well on our way. You seem frustrated by something the club has or hasn't done so practically & honestly I'd love to know what that is

Speaking of Global profile, I can testify that 10 years ago nobody in Spain knew who Spurs were (Unless they were a Totti Totti level football anorak) and now I get people coming up to me when I'm wearing the jersey saying how much they like us. You need sustained success (like playing CL) over a long period for that, not a league cup every 10 years. Not that I don't want that too!

Great so we are on course for a better third place than the third place we achieved last year. The only improvement that matters is us winning silverware - this self congratulating spin needs to stop.

So you’re happy if we win the Carabou Cup but slide down and finish 7th

Right, just we know

That goes for all those who agreed with the post too, right John?
Clarify, that you’ll be happy with if we beat Chelsea tomorrow, and City in the final, but have no CL next season.

That’s real big club talk there, lol

Oh god the revenue argument, again.

Yeah let’s completely ignore the fact that we have/had one of the best teams in the league for the last 4 seasons. Ignore the fact that only City have amassed more points than us in that time. Ignore the fact that vastly inferior United and Woolwich sides have won silverware in that period. It doesn’t matter what players we have does it?We could have the greatest side in history but there still shouldn’t be any expectation or pressure for silverware because 5 other teams have larger revenue streams than us. That’s all that counts - It’s absolutely laughable. Such comments just highlight the issue here - so many supporters simply don’t believe we deserve to be in this position, they can’t move beyond their inferiority complex with the elite clubs. So no I won’t go and support City - I don’t need too because we have a team that should be winning silverware it’s easily good enough too. It’s a shame that you can’t see this or don’t want to believe this.
Quite the most empty post I've seen in a while.

Meritless, mirthless and meaningless.

Everything you post makes me feel like I'm dying inside.

The safety of the club's future is assured with the amount of money that is sloshing around the game these days and I don't know why people like yourselves keep banging on about it as if it's a case of buy someone too expensive and were doomed mantra absolute garbage.
As for the team it has massively under achieved for years everyone in the football world knows it just because these teams have money doesn't excuse the fact that we have lost 8 semi-final appearances in a row which is both a record and a disgrace.
I don't need telling on how to support my team I've done it all my life and will continue to do so but unlike yourself I'm not as accepting or naive to keep accepting excuses for serial failure from the club.
You make it sound like you are living with an incurable disease. You're not - you can stay, back, support and love the club warts and all - or simply walk away and support someone else who my put some happiness back into your turgid and joyless life.

But for gods sake, why do you and other people of your ilk have to piss on the chips of the rest of us who are happy to support the club, safe in the knowledge that there isn't a fucking thing to do about it, apart from make a loud noise when we go to the ground and enjoy what we see, wherever we see it.

You and your like minded bretheren look down on me and supporters of the same mindset, but I'm damned sure what sort of outlook on life I would rather have. I'll enjoy the taste of honey, you keep sipping the vinegar.

It’s all there wrapped up in your posts. It doesn’t matter what players we have, it doesn’t matter what team we put out because we are the sixth largest club by revenue and therefore have already lost.
While most of your ...whines (lol) leads to me making a face which is similar to a cringe...this nonsense about 6th largest revenue so we should be happy with being 6th or better is equally cringe.

I remember our squad value was rated as the 3rd best in the whole world last summer just below Mancity and Barcelona by that CIES thingy. Not that its 100% correct, but I'd say it is close. Just because we have the 6th best revenue and Kane cost us nothing doesnt mean Kane is worth nothing. We have a £200m player as our striker. Eriksen is probably worth near a £100m too. Dele not too far off. Revenue does not play on the pitch, players do and we have some very 'elite' players.

You make it sound like you are living with an incurable disease. You're not - you can stay, back, support and love the club warts and all - or simply walk away and support someone else who my put some happiness back into your turgid and joyless life.

But for gods sake, why do you and other people of your ilk have to piss on the chips of the rest of us who are happy to support the club, safe in the knowledge that there isn't a fucking thing to do about it, apart from make a loud noise when we go to the ground and enjoy what we see, wherever we see it.

You and your like minded bretheren look down on me and supporters of the same mindset, but I'm damned sure what sort of outlook on life I would rather have. I'll enjoy the taste of honey, you keep sipping the vinegar.
What the fuck are you on mate read it fucking properly I said that I have supported the club all my life and will continue to do so, but please stop this bollocks that people like you continue to peddle which effectively tries to stifle anyone with a different opinion to yours it's sickening.

Yeah agree with you and the Hood, who has also made some superb points.

We have not and are unlikely to ever have the highest revenue but on the pitch we have had teams at times who are comparable to their opponents. Often better in truth.

We are once again on the cusp of something of significance and all we hear again and again is continued patience and understanding. Within reason that is okay but it is so defensive and self defeating.

8 semi-finals makes tomorrow's game one to fear more than look forward to and that would be regardless of personnel. That should tell anyone that somewhere there is an inherent flaw or sense of not being good enough. It's fcuking there for all to see. MENTALITY.

And now what we are seeing are reasons not to add to a very good squad at exactly the right time because Pochettino talks of the 'right' player. What the fcuk does that mean and what in our model suggests for one minute that such a player is off radar to other clubs and will come to us or does Pochettino think with the new stadium comes a name change to Real Madrid?

It is astonishing.

What the fuck are you on mate read it fucking properly I said that I have supported the club all my life and will continue to do so, but please stop this bollocks that people like you continue to peddle which effectively tries to stifle anyone with a different opinion to yours it's sickening.
When that different opinion is
“We have not progressed under ENIC, and being a top 3 regular is no different to being mid table because we didn’t win the Coca Cola”, I’ll be happy to suppress it by shoving it back down whichever throat spewed it up

Yeah agree with you and the Hood, who has also made some superb points.

We have not and are unlikely to ever have the highest revenue but on the pitch we have had teams at times who are comparable to their opponents. Often better in truth.

We are once again on the cusp of something of significance and all we hear again and again is continued patience and understanding. Within reason that is okay but it is so defensive and self defeating.

8 semi-finals makes tomorrow's game one to fear more than look forward to and that would be regardless of personnel. That should tell anyone that somewhere there is an inherent flaw or sense of not being good enough. It's fcuking there for all to see. MENTALITY.

And now what we are seeing are reasons not to add to a very good squad at exactly the right time because Pochettino talks of the 'right' player. What the fcuk does that mean and what in our model suggests for one minute that such a player is off radar to other clubs and will come to us or does Pochettino think with the new stadium comes a name change to Real Madrid?

It is astonishing.

I think we’ve been more than well equipped to win a domestic cup.

Are people really saying this squad hasn’t been good enough to beat Chelsea or Utd in a semi or final, despite us wiping the floor with them weeks earlier in the PL?

The problem came down to the manager in those games, but people want to act like it wasn’t Poch playing Son at LB and dropping Toby etc, but it was because Levy didn’t sign Isco and Malcom.

Complete and utter bollocks and they know it.

I want to win a cup, and think we should have by now. But to say we haven’t progressed it’s laughable.

Funny how NOBODY will answer question.

Will you be happy with the Carabou and 7th? Is that progression?

I think we’ve been more than well equipped to win a domestic cup.

Are people really saying this squad hasn’t been good enough to beat Chelsea or Utd in a semi or final, despite us wiping the floor with them weeks earlier in the PL?

The problem came down to the manager in those games, but people want to act like it wasn’t Poch playing Son at LB and dropping Toby etc, but it was because Levy didn’t sign Isco and Malcom.

Complete and utter bollocks and they know it.

I want to win a cup, and think we should have by now. But to say we haven’t progressed it’s laughable.

Funny how NOBODY will answer question.

Will you be happy with the Carabou and 7th? Is that progression?

I would NEVER say or accept we have not progressed under Pochettino. That would make me worse than Myopic Magoo.

But not to have won a cup is poor and to not recognise the benefit of doing so a real concern for me.

Look how Sarri and all top managers recognise the need for silverware at whatever club they go to.

These guys are like the kid in the back going "Are we there yet?" except they're going "Why aren't we there yet? Dad, you're a fucking fraud, call yourself a driver, Nan could get there faster...and why do we have such a shit car? If you weren't such a fucking tightarse we would have got there so much quicker..."

Back
Top Bottom