January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don’t worry guys Hercules on SC has ‘ITK’, it’s Poch he doesn’t want anyone.

:angryscouser:

‘’Right now Poch is the problem. And I have shared that privately before it became public on hear. Guy is friggin stubborn. Alright, our budget is not the best, but slightly over 100m. Though not a set budget.

I worry. If you really believe too ending it with academy graduates, to give them. Chance, I am speechless.’’

Lost me at "Poch is the problem"

Yeah one of the best mangers we have had in recent history is a problem

Just had a thought. The clubs public stance on only signing the right player and Poch being very specific when picking that player leading to a smaller pool to choose from. Good in threory and bad in practice? After all if teams know we are hugely selective and go for one of their players the price will automatically get jacked up.

Maybe the club would have been better off not saying anything regarding its specific requirements for talent. Chances are it'll cost us more for a player than if Leicester for example were also looking at them

Don’t worry guys Hercules on SC has ‘ITK’, it’s Poch he doesn’t want anyone.

:angryscouser:

‘’Right now Poch is the problem. And I have shared that privately before it became public on hear. Guy is friggin stubborn. Alright, our budget is not the best, but slightly over 100m. Though not a set budget.

I worry. If you really believe too ending it with academy graduates, to give them. Chance, I am speechless.’’

That second paragraph is magnificent, even by Hercules’, quite frankly, daunting standards.

Surely all these injuries and Dembele’s departure will force Levy’s hand? Right?

It’s no longer about finding the perfect player, but getting capable bodies to fill out the squad. We are only a couple injuries away from having no attacking threat.

:avbshock:

Not sure I follow?

The stadium signifies ambition if and only if its increased revenues are put back into the squad.

The stuff people say about Woolwich struggling with the debt service in succeeding years from their move are absolute bollocks. Stan Kroenke was siphoning hefty profits out of the club all along the way, the most vocally angry fans that we love to laugh at were correct to the letter, and if ENIC's plan is to operate Spurs in the same personally lucrative fashion we ought to raise twice as much hell.

The thought of Tottenham Hotspur as a billionaire's personal cookie jar sickens me, and I'm always a little perplexed why I don't see that same sensitivity from some other folks on this board.

Bootlicking the capital owners is not what loyalty to club means, in my view.

Hudson Odoi has played one game and really, would he replace Lamela or Moura?
Would Llalana?
Is Barkley better than Winks?

Because that’s what we’re talking about here. As well as the claim that Chelsea wouldn’t suffer if they had to play the likes of Barkley and Odoi instead of Kante and Hazard.

Hudson-Odoi is raw talent, and has the potential to be better than Lucas and Lamela. A talent Poch knows how to unlock.

Winks is about the same level as Barkley. Both very good centre mids, but Barkley has more goals in him. Biggest mistake of his career going to Chelsea.

I will always crave the signing of Loftus-Cheek, a player who would be incredible under Poch, but like Barkley has priced himself out of move after falling for Chelsea’s trap. I have a lot of respect for Odoi is doing.

Just had a thought. The clubs public stance on only signing the right player and Poch being very specific when picking that player leading to a smaller pool to choose from. Good in threory and bad in practice? After all if teams know we are hugely selective and go for one of their players the price will automatically get jacked up.

Maybe the club would have been better off not saying anything regarding its specific requirements for talent. Chances are it'll cost us more for a player than if Leicester for example were also looking at them
A very good point.
Me, as an optimist, could turn that around.
Poch is interested in Player A, that player then knows that Poch rates him very highly indeed and says to his current club "You can fuck right off, there's no way I'm going to Leicester...Poch WANTS me".

Not realistic I know but as I say I'm an optimist.

The stadium signifies ambition if and only if its increased revenues are put back into the squad.

The stuff people say about Woolwich struggling with the debt service in succeeding years from their move are absolute bollocks. Stan Kroenke was siphoning hefty profits out of the club all along the way, the most vocally angry fans that we love to laugh at were correct to the letter, and if ENIC's plan is to operate Spurs in the same personally lucrative fashion we ought to raise twice as much hell.

The thought of Tottenham Hotspur as a billionaire's personal cookie jar sickens me, and I'm always a little perplexed why I don't see that same sensitivity from some other folks on this board.

I actually agree with this but, at the moment, there is no evidence that that is what Levy/Enic are doing.

That could of course change.

Preach hermano, preach.

I'll be gutted to see Toby and Eriksen move on, or Dele have his head turned, or Pochettino lose patience and head off.

If Levy and Enic sell up I'll be like

giphy.gif

I got pelters on here for saying that Harry Kane is far more a Tottenham man than Daniel Levy can ever be, can you imagine that?

The Cult of the Chairman, I just don't even begin to get it

Boateng to Barca
Higuain to Chelsea
Babel to Fulham

This is an indication of what is available in this window, even for some of the best teams around. We need to be realistic as well.

I actually agree with this but, at the moment, there is no evidence that that is what Levy/Enic are doing.

That could of course change.

I would say there's patchy and uncompelling evidence, not that there's none.

My honest opinion is that the stadium delays have caused a short-term cash crisis at the club, but we don't have the financial transparency to prove or disprove that at this point.

I think if Levy and Lewis would speak with utter honesty they'd say that it would have been so much better for their (very smart!) grand plan to have the Poch miracle arrive either two years sooner or two years later. The iron got white hot the moment the hammer was sent away for repairs.

Hudson-Odoi is raw talent, and has the potential to be better than Lucas and Lamela. A talent Poch knows how to unlock.
That’s as big as a guess as saying Sterling will be better than Kane under Poch
Bayern offering 35M isn’t an accurate review of the player, it’s just hype at the moment.

Winks is about the same level as Barkley. Both very good centre mids, but Barkley has more goals in him. Biggest mistake of his career going to Chelsea

He’s scored about 20 goals in his career, and doesn’t offer anywhere near what Winks does playing deeper in midfield.

And that’s not the point.
Even if we put Barkley and Odoi on our bench and took out Winks and Moura, would people be saying “aaaahhh what a window. All injuries covered now”

I would say there's patchy and uncompelling evidence, not that there's none.

My honest opinion is that the stadium delays have caused a short-term cash crisis at the club, but we don't have the financial transparency to prove or disprove that at this point.

I think if Levy and Lewis would speak with utter honesty they'd say that it would have been so much better for their (very smart!) grand plan to have the Poch miracle arrive either two years sooner or two years later. The iron got white hot the moment the hammer was sent away for repairs.
Spot on.
The most recent accounts show a net profit of £41m.
This does not inc. the stadium debt, obvs.
Also that the shareholders (Joe and Levy) have recieved £0.00 in share dividends since, at least, 2013.
(I know I've said this before, apologies)

You are dead right about the timing though.

Back
Top Bottom